Birkirkara revisited

Watt-Zeefuik

davemclaren
16 minutes ago, briever said:

By the end of the summer Brora will be someone else's fault.

By the end the summer we will have hopefully won the odd European match. 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• briever

• McGlynn The Money

• Shaggy2

2 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Djoum would be perfect for us currently - how old is he now?

33. Sunning himself in Cyprus with splinters in his arse making 9 appearances in the last season. Approaching retirement any day now I’d guess

McGlynn The Money
On 11/06/2022 at 00:08, Bazzas right boot said:

Minnow like them.. 

Look at Hearts record in Europe, particularly the last 10 or 15 years. 

We are a minnow. 

Like it, or lump it, we are a minnow. 

Tbh, Hearts fans talking of minnows in terms of Europe need a reality check. 

Hearts fans using a European result against a manager that has 2 x 3rd place as his record in Scotland need sanctioned. 

The population of Malta is slightly lower than Edinburgh alone. You could almost fit every resident of Birkirkara inside Tynecastle. 

By any stretch of the imagination they are minnows and that result was a disaster.

Edited by McGlynn The Money

McGlynn The Money
On 11/06/2022 at 01:13, Bazzas right boot said:

We've been in the European group stages twice in our entire history. 

Folk talk on here like Hearts are an authority in Europe and we shouldn't get beat of minnows. 

We've played 80 games in Europe in our entire history. 

Some then turn on the guy that is the only manager to bring European football to Tynecastle in a generation. 

Also the only guy after CL to get us in the group stages. 

****ing jokers... 

Bob was right, **** of and watch citeh or Madrid. 

HMFC is not the team for you. 

"It's going to be a twisting road with ups and downs along the way, but that's part and parcel of being a Hearts fan. If you want to go and win every week, then people go and support Man United or Man City, teams like that."

That was the quote from Bob when we lost in the Scottish Cup to a team of part time players who hadn't played a competitive game for months and all had to be up early for work the next day. He really didn't get it but at least it appears he has learned the error of his ways and now says the right things publicly.

Also, he made no mention of Madrid, just the two Manchester clubs. Your obsessive hatred for the Kings of Europe is not healthy. Please seek help immediately. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
37 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

33. Sunning himself in Cyprus with splinters in his arse making 9 appearances in the last season. Approaching retirement any day now I’d guess

Shame. 2 or 3 years younger and he would be a good experienced midfielder for us for a year or 2

1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

Have the interlopers all clubbed together and agreed to kick off on one pointless thread?

The miserable, glass half-empty naysayers are merely struggling to find something to bump their gums about.

Bazzas right boot
53 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

"It's going to be a twisting road with ups and downs along the way, but that's part and parcel of being a Hearts fan. If you want to go and win every week, then people go and support Man United or Man City, teams like that."

That was the quote from Bob when we lost in the Scottish Cup to a team of part time players who hadn't played a competitive game for months and all had to be up early for work the next day. He really didn't get it but at least it appears he has learned the error of his ways and now says the right things publicly.

Also, he made no mention of Madrid, just the two Manchester clubs. Your obsessive hatred for the Kings of Europe is not healthy. Please seek help immediately. 

Potato/ potatoe 

Citeh, Madrid, Barca, man utd, PSG - all the same to me. 

Soulless cooperate institutions propped up by plastic fan boys. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, McGlynn The Money said:

The population of Malta is slightly lower than Edinburgh alone. You could almost fit every resident of Birkirkara inside Tynecastle. 

By any stretch of the imagination they are minnows and that result was a disaster.

Never a disaster. 

Calm yourself to a panic. 

McGlynn The Money
8 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Potato/ potatoe 

Citeh, Madrid, Barca, man utd, PSG - all the same to me. 

Soulless cooperate institutions propped up by plastic fan boys. 

Potatoe? 

🤦‍♂️

7 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Never a disaster. 

It was. Your devotion to Bob is endearing but it would enhance your credibility if you could admit, even once, some of his shortcomings. In the long run you'll be the one that benefits.

Randy Marsh
21 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Never a disaster. 

It was a disaster.  Humiliating night.  The only unacceptable European defeat in Heart of Midlothian's proud history.

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

Potatoe? 

🤦‍♂️

It was. Your devotion to Bob is endearing but it would enhance your credibility if you could admit, even once, some of his shortcomings. In the long run you'll be the one that benefits.

I've mentioned lots of short comings, getting promotion over a Rangers then finishing third and getting us into Europe was a good thing.

McGlynn The Money
2 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I've mentioned lots of short comings, getting promotion over a Rangers then finishing third and getting us into Europe was a good thing.

I can't take you seriously after the potato/potatoe thing. Sorry.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Randy Marsh said:

It was a disaster.  Humiliating night.  The only unacceptable European defeat in Heart of Midlothian's proud history.

It was a poor result. No one debates that

Never a disaster and tbh Hearts do not have a great record in Europe in the last 15 years or so, we are a minnow. We are a team that others want.

Some on here have a over inflated opinion of Hearts reputation in Europe, and to use a European result against the manager who is the only guy to get us into Europe in a generation smacks of desperation.

Also only  the second manager in our " proud " history to get us to the European stages.

Banging on about the manager of Leeds is insane.

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

I have never taken you seriously.

You are filed away with all the other plastics and sky fan boys of top clubs around Europe.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Wee Mikey said:

The miserable, glass half-empty naysayers are merely struggling to find something to bump their gums about.

The are clutching, tbh they are doing well.

McGlynn The Money
Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

I have never taken you seriously.

You are filed away with all the other plastics and sky fan boys of top clubs around Europe.

THE top club, and don't you forget it sunshine.

Really though "potatoe"...

Weakened Offender
2 hours ago, McGlynn The Money said:

Disaster 😁

20 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

8 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

I'm giving @Bazzas right boot the benefit of the doubt that he was referencing Dan Quayle's infamous mis-spelling. Perhaps that was before your time?

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/video/june-15-1992-dan-quayle-misspells-potato-48017343

McGlynn The Money
28 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

I'm giving @Bazzas right boot the benefit of the doubt that he was referencing Dan Quayle's infamous mis-spelling. Perhaps that was before your time?

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/video/june-15-1992-dan-quayle-misspells-potato-48017343

I remember it well but that's not what Bazza was doing.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Wee Mikey said:

I was. 

I ever knew it originated from him, I bow  you're superior knowledge. 

But it was intentional. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, McGlynn The Money said:

Potato / potatoe. 

Use it in the context it was given

Top club for a top plastic. 

McGlynn The Money
2 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Potato / potatoe. 

Use it in the context it was given

Top club for a top plastic. 

Nice try Baz.  Such a simple word too...

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Potata surely?

Tatttie. 

McGlynn The Money
14 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I was. 

I ever knew it originated from him, I bow  you're superior knowledge. 

But it was intentional. 

Sure it was intentional.

:biglaugh:

11 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Hearts do not have a great record in Europe in the last 15 years or so.

Only in the sense we’ve mostly been too shite to qualify and/or spent 2-3 of those years financial firefighting. Robbie has been good enough to get us into Europe twice so not complaining. 

I find your above claim interesting, though. Since 2006/07 (15 years ago as of last season) we’ve lost to AEK Athens, Sparta Prague, Dinamo Zagreb (after a shameful away performance), Tottenham and Liverpool. None of the above can be considered a bad result. To attempt to excuse Birkirkara on the basis that losing to those sides constitutes Hearts not having a great record is stretching things a bit is it not?

Birkirkara was an awful result and by miles our worst ever in Europe. Was at Scotland game in Malta a month later and Scottish ex-pats were still amazed at the result, comparing Birkirkara to Junior level. Brora was worse, though, they really are Junior level. 
The Scottish Cup run this season has probably exorcised Brora and (expectations won’t be high) Robbie probably needs at least one result of note to exorcise his previous European effort. 

Bazzas right boot
45 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

Only in the sense we’ve mostly been too shite to qualify and/or spent 2-3 of those years financial firefighting. Robbie has been good enough to get us into Europe twice so not complaining. 

I find your above claim interesting, though. Since 2006/07 (15 years ago as of last season) we’ve lost to AEK Athens, Sparta Prague, Dinamo Zagreb (after a shameful away performance), Tottenham and Liverpool. None of the above can be considered a bad result. To attempt to excuse Birkirkara on the basis that losing to those sides constitutes Hearts not having a great record is stretching things a bit is it not?

Birkirkara was an awful result and by miles our worst ever in Europe. Was at Scotland game in Malta a month later and Scottish ex-pats were still amazed at the result, comparing Birkirkara to Junior level. Brora was worse, though, they really are Junior level. 
The Scottish Cup run this season has probably exorcised Brora and (expectations won’t be high) Robbie probably needs at least one result of note to exorcise his previous European effort. 

Hearts in European terms over the last 15 years have been poor. Nothing, if our claim to fame we barley qualified and when we did we got beat of a good team then that just about sums our efforts up. 

I agree that the Birka result was terrible, but talk of disasters and exorocising ghosts of the past is nonesense. 

Folk also haven't been paying attention to Scottish teams results in Europe for 30 years if Birka was that much of a shock to them. 

This is the man that has dragged us up from the depths of relegation / demotion twice then went straight to third - twice. 

He's also led us out to two cup finals and now has us in the European group stages. 

He's also an ex player of ten years and a cup winner. 

If folk want to go on about Birka, Hibs or Brora then the problem lies with them. 

He's got a very good record as  Hearts manager, one of the best league records ever in modern times and now has us where we want to be. 

Yet there are still some dieing for shite results to have a go at him. 

Although, unbeaten at Spurs and Liverpool is something I like to remind certain folk about! :HeartsManspotrun:

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Fxxx the SPFL
14 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Hearts in European terms over the last 15 years have been poor. Nothing, if our claim to fame we barley qualified and when we did we got beat of a good team then that just about sums our efforts up. 

I agree that the Birka result was terrible, but talk of disasters and exorocising ghosts of the past is nonesense. 

Folk also haven't been paying attention to Scottish teams results in Europe for 30 years if Birka was that much of a shock to them. 

This is the man that has dragged us up from the depths of relegation / demotion twice then went straight to third - twice. 

He's also led us out to two cup finals and now has us in the European group stages. 

If folk want to go on about Birka, Hibs or Brora then the problem lies with them. 

He's got a very good record as  Hearts manager, one of the best league records ever in modern times and now has us where we want to be. 

Although, unbeaten at Spurs and Liverpool is something I like to remind certain folk about! :HeartsManspotrun:

And we were the only side that Spurs didn't score against at home that season good save from Jamie Mac from Harry Kane

4 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Hearts in European terms over the last 15 years have been poor. Nothing, if our claim to fame we barley qualified and when we did we got beat of a god team then that just about sums our efforts up. 

He's got a very good as  Hearts manager, one of the best league records ever in modern times and now has us where we want to be. 

With the exception of the result that sparked this thread, Hearts have not been poor in Europe over the past 15 years, we've been poor domestically hence we never even made Europe in the majority of seasons. Which result(s) of AEK, Sparta, Zagreb, Spurs or Liverpool was poor? Performances were (AEK at home, or should I say Murrayfield, Sparta at Murrayfield, Zagreb away) I'll give you that, but results were as expected.
As for folk going on about historical results, football fans are always trading off on memories. Every year we fondly recall 16-05-98 or 19-05-12, the Flumps like to remind us of 1986 and Hearts fans of my vintage still recall Forfar Athletic at Tynecastle and the low point of that day (and the John Fairgrieve article regarding turning Tynecastle into a car park, which not many disagreed with). Forfar was a ghost Alex MacDonald went on to exorcise, and more. I've never pretended to be a Robbie Neilson fan but I am on his side because if he succeeds, Hearts succeed, it really is as simple as that. I hope he goes on to exorcise the ghost of Birkirkara this season, but it will never be totally forgotten and neither will Brora. Like I've said previously in the thread the Hibs result barely registers alongside Birkirkara and Brora.

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

With the exception of the result that sparked this thread, Hearts have not been poor in Europe over the past 15 years, we've been poor domestically hence we never even made Europe in the majority of seasons. Which result(s) of AEK, Sparta, Zagreb, Spurs or Liverpool was poor? Performances were (AEK at home, or should I say Murrayfield, Sparta at Murrayfield, Zagreb away) I'll give you that, but results were as expected.
As for folk going on about historical results, football fans are always trading off on memories. Every year we fondly recall 16-05-98 or 19-05-12, the Flumps like to remind us of 1986 and Hearts fans of my vintage still recall Forfar Athletic at Tynecastle and the low point of that day (and the John Fairgrieve article regarding turning Tynecastle into a car park, which not many disagreed with). Forfar was a ghost Alex MacDonald went on to exorcise, and more. I've never pretended to be a Robbie Neilson fan but I am on his side because if he succeeds, Hearts succeed, it really is as simple as that. I hope he goes on to exorcise the ghost of Birkirkara this season, but it will never be totally forgotten and neither will Brora. Like I've said previously in the thread the Hibs result barely registers alongside Birkirkara and Brora.

He generally agree but - 

"If he succeeds" 

1st

3rd

Left us in 2nd/3rd

1st 

3rd

Is success. 

3 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

He generally agree but - 

"If he succeeds" 

1st

3rd

Left us in 2nd/3rd

1st 

3rd

Is success. 

That's why I am, and will remain, "on his side." 👍

1 hour ago, Shaggy2 said:

I'm not sure why this thread was started but I agree that the Birkirkara result was an awful result and a team we should be beating.

I thought the Brora result was way worse though, however, I do give Neilson credit that he realised that it was unacceptable and when we played Non League Auchinleck in the cup this year, we put them to the sword.  I think he's improving and I'm hoping for some decent results in Europe in the coming season.   

2 minutes ago, TurboT said:

I'm not sure why this thread was started but I agree that the Birkirkara result was an awful result and a team we should be beating.

I thought the Brora result was way worse though, however, I do give Neilson credit that he realised that it was unacceptable and when we played Non League Auchinleck in the cup this year, we put them to the sword.  I think he's improving and I'm hoping for some decent results in Europe in the coming season.   

Agree. 

"The ghost of Birkirkara" is hilarious.  Lost to a pretty bad team, that we should have beaten.  As if that hasn't happened to pretty much every football team on the planet.  In the grand scheme of things we're an inexperienced club when it comes to European football, and lost a game we were well on top in, missing a penalty on the way.  It happens.

Dunfermline lost to Fimleikafelag Hafnarfjodur in 2004, from an Icelandic town smaller then Wishaw.

Rangers lost to Kaunas in 2008, months after they'd been in the UEFA Cup Final.

St Johnstone lost to Alashkert, Armenia's fourth best side at the time and playing in their first ever European tie.

Celtic lost to Lincoln Red Imps, a part time side from Gibraltar who shared their stadium with every other side in the area.

Killie put out by Connah's Quay, a part time Welsh side.

Rangers put out by Progres Niederkorn from Luxembourg.

Hibs pummeled 7-0 by Malmo. 

There's no ghost to exorcise, was just a bad result, which happens to all teams.

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Waterboy said:

"The ghost of Birkirkara" is hilarious.  Lost to a pretty bad team, that we should have beaten.  As if that hasn't happened to pretty much every football team on the planet.  In the grand scheme of things we're an inexperienced club when it comes to European football, and lost a game we were well on top in, missing a penalty on the way.  It happens.

Dunfermline lost to Fimleikafelag Hafnarfjodur in 2004, from an Icelandic town smaller then Wishaw.

St Johnstone lost to Alashkert, Armenia's fourth best side at the time and playing in their first ever European tie.

Celtic lost to Lincoln Red Imps, a part time side from Gibraltar who shared their stadium with every other side in the area.

There's no ghost to exorcise, was just a bad result, which happens to all teams.

Last paragraph sums it up

2 minutes ago, Waterboy said:

The fact you talk about all those other results mean they are memorable for the wrong reasons. In footballing terms they're bad memories that haunt these teams and some have gone on to put said results behind them. Birkirkara is our last European tie, hence it haunts us (well, those of us who don't expect to lose to a bunch of part-timers whom Scots who live on the island consider a SCOTTISH non-league level). Just a bad result? You're being very kind. I'd like to put ours behind us sooner rather than later and Robbie has earned the right to have a go at that. 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Shaggy2 said:

The fact you talk about all those other results mean they are memorable for the wrong reasons. In footballing terms they're bad memories that haunt these teams and some have gone on to put said results behind them. Birkirkara is our last European tie, hence it haunts us (well, those of us who don't expect to lose to a bunch of part-timers whom Scots who live on the island consider a SCOTTISH non-league level). Just a bad result? You're being very kind. I'd like to put ours behind us sooner rather than later and Robbie has earned the right to have a go at that. 

"haunt" 

🤣🤣🤣

Nothing like adding a bit drama. 

He's already bettered that anyway, he's got us into the group stages for the 2nd time in our history 

9 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

Qualifying for group stage football goes some way to putting it behind us I'd say.

And re. the bit in bold.  Same thing comes up in every single discussion on Neilson - folk can't get their head around the fact that 'some of us' can be upset, disappointed and angry at result without demanding the manager's head, or that he exorcise a demon.  'Some of us' can understand that what makes football so exciting is that teams can win games they shouldn't.  Unfortunately, it means we will be on the wrong end of that from time to time.  Being able to understand that doesn't mean we expect to lose to a bunch of part-timers whom Scots who live on the island consider a SCOTTISH non-league level.  I've not been to a Scottish non-league game in my life so can't judge that comparison, but I assume those Maltese residents were attending them regularly.

I was very unhappy about the Hibs 2016 Cup defeat (no, it wasn't Robbie's fault they then went all the way), Birkirkara, Alloa/Brora but, imo, he's already atoned for them.

A never in doubt promotion, two Hampden derby wins, a 3-1 corker at Tynie, clear third place, and the Euro group stage that comes with it, and a Cup final.

Clean slate (more than), for me, and the possibility of Hearts improving further.

Neilson's not perfect, but who is? He wouldn't be at Hearts or in Scottish football if he was the perfect head coach.

Meanwhile, over at ER's revolving door...

Edited by martoon

Harry Potter
18 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Never a disaster. 

it was to anyone that cares for our club, total nightmare.

2 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Nope, at least not for me. Aberfan was a disaster. Birkirkara was nowt but a football game lost over two legs so not even close.

4 hours ago, Waterboy said:

Qualifying for group stage football goes some way to putting it behind us I'd say.

And re. the bit in bold.  Same thing comes up in every single discussion on Neilson - folk can't get their head around the fact that 'some of us' can be upset, disappointed and angry at result without demanding the manager's head, or that he exorcise a demon.  'Some of us' can understand that what makes football so exciting is that teams can win games they shouldn't.  Unfortunately, it means we will be on the wrong end of that from time to time.  Being able to understand that doesn't mean we expect to lose to a bunch of part-timers whom Scots who live on the island consider a SCOTTISH non-league level.  I've not been to a Scottish non-league game in my life so can't judge that comparison, but I assume those Maltese residents were attending them regularly.

I’m not demanding is head, though, I’m just suggesting that he has the chance (which I acknowledge he earned) to make up for the worst result in our European history. This is a great opportunity, with the new set up and a boosted co-efficient having us enter mid-August and guaranteed 8 games. 
If you attend Hearts games you’ll know the standard of non-league in Scotland. We’ve faced Auchinleck 3 times in 11 years and the infamous Brora debacle. That’s the standard locals believe Birkirkara to be at. 

Edited by Shaggy2

davemclaren
54 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

I’m not demanding is head, though, I’m just suggesting that he has the chance (which I acknowledge he earned) to make up for the worst result in our European history. This is a great opportunity, with the new set up and a boosted co-efficient having us enter mid-August and guaranteed 8 games. 
If you attend Hearts games you’ll know the standard of non-league in Scotland. We’ve faced Auchinleck 3 times in 11 years and the infamous Brora debacle. That’s the standard locals believe Birkirkara to be at. 

Locals or ex-pats? 😄

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Nah. 

In terms of football, Brora was a bit of a disaster, losing at Dundee when needing a draw was a disaster ( in a different way), getting beat of hibs 7-0 at home is a disaster. 

Losing a european tie to a shittier team is just football, happens all the time, every season and has happened to every club. 

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Nah. 

In terms of football, Brora was a bit of a disaster, losing at Dundee when needing a draw was a disaster ( in a different way), getting beat of hibs 7-0 at home is a disaster. 

Losing a european tie to a shittier team is just football, happens all the time, every season and has happened to every club. 

fair enough Baz.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

Birkirkara are a professional side who have and have had international players play for them

The locals must be smacked out thier tits or gangaed up to the eye balls to come to that conclusion. 

Probably more comparable to a championship side in terms of quality.