Morgan

Are some folk mad?

For the past couple of weeks here it’s been North of 30 degrees.  

Yet, we’ve seen folk not only lying in it, baking, but actually putting olive oil on their bodies!

Do they want skin cancer?  Is a tan more important?

And, while I’m at it - folk that use sun beds...   :vrface:

il Duce McTarkin
Just now, Morgan said:

Are some folk mad?

For the past couple of weeks here it’s been North of 30 degrees.  

Yet, we’ve seen folk not only lying in it, baking, but actually putting olive oil on their bodies!

Do they want skin cancer?  Is a tan more important?

And, while I’m at it - folk that use sun beds...   :vrface:

I was a total sun worshiper as a nipper, and even used sunbeds in the depths of the bleak mid-winter.

I must've been suffering from SAD or some such like, as a couple of sessions would raise my mood no end.

Regret it all now though, as I've so many moles my body resembles the bottom of a rabbit hutch, and I've a visage like a shriveled scrotum in a strong breeze.

My kids get the factor 50 treatment.

14 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

I was a total sun worshiper as a nipper, and even used sunbeds in the depths of the bleak mid-winter.

I must've been suffering from SAD or some such like, as a couple of sessions would raise my mood no end.

Regret it all now though, as I've so many moles my body resembles the bottom of a rabbit hutch, and I've a visage like a shriveled scrotum in a strong breeze.

My kids get the factor 50 treatment.

Well, at least you got through it safely.

There's no doubt that a wee tan makes you look and feel better. It's the folk that lie in the sun for hours on end, without protection, that we don't understand.

We never use less than a factor 15, going up to a 30 in July and August.

The sun is a mad thing really eh? Sitting relaxing off the heat of a big ball of fire that will one day devour us all.

Anyway, I'm off to grab a cold one and enjoy it before it disappears for the night. 😎 

2 minutes ago, Locky said:

The sun is a mad thing really eh? Sitting relaxing off the heat of a big ball of fire that will one day devour us all.

Anyway, I'm off to grab a cold one and enjoy it before it disappears for the night. 😎 

“I’m going to Indigo Sun” type post.

😎

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

“I’m going to Indigo Sun” type post.

😎

No point in me doing that shite. I've got 2 complexions, peely wally and burnt. :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Locky said:

No point in me doing that shite. I've got 2 complexions, peely wally and burnt. :lol: 

You forgot 'well skelped erse'.

:biggrin:

AlimOzturk

I prefer being the pale white Scotsman on holiday or on a hot day here in Edinburgh. I am the one who gets the piss taken out of him whilst sitting in at t shirt, baseball cap on covered In factor 50. 

No shits given. Only time my top comes off is when I am inside or in the pool. 

il Duce McTarkin
32 minutes ago, Locky said:

:sweeet:

Amazing how there are people who don't seem to realise over exposure to sun is an effective way to age prematurely.

Have known a few girls with admittedly cracking tans but the wrinkles of 40 year olds when they were only in their mid 20s.

highlandjambo3

Most of the weege like to be orange…….also wearing a white Fred perry top also enhances the orange ness…….as well as white trainers of course…………………and let’s not forget the jeans with a crease down the front to finish off the look.

Weakened Offender

You'd have to be hellish ****ing unlucky to develop skin cancer from the sunshine in this baltic hoor of a country. 

indianajones
19 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Amazing how there are people who don't seem to realise over exposure to sun is an effective way to age prematurely.

Have known a few girls with admittedly cracking tans but the wrinkles of 40 year olds when they were only in their mid 20s.

Ulrika comes to mind. She's only in her early 50s but looks way older. 

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Well, at least you got through it safely.

There's no doubt that a wee tan makes you look and feel better. It's the folk that lie in the sun for hours on end, without protection, that we don't understand.

We never use less than a factor 15, going up to a 30 in July and August.

👍 

Also for your part of the world, a sunscreen which doesn't include 'aqua' as the first ingredient should be chosen. Although it contains a spf, in extreme heat and strong sunlight, the product can cause other damage to the skin. 

17 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Ulrika comes to mind. She's only in her early 50s but looks way older. 

4176d5a7-8505-4798-af3f-bb8593cb2deb.jpg

2_Ulrika-Jonsson.jpg

Edited by Ray Gin

JudyJudyJudy

Its a subject close to me .  Horrible illness and people do die of it too. There's a myth that its the " best " cancer to get as you can just " get it cut out" and that's it.    If you catch it early well you can but if its invasive and went further into the skin it can spread and the prognosis can be a lot more serious.  

You can get skin cancer ( melanoma)  in any country . Irrespective of the weather conditions.  You can even get burnt in the sun in a cold climate. Its all about the UV levels.  Today in Edinburgh it got to around 4 for a few hours  which means if you are at risk you really need to cover and and slap on the sunscreen.  ( SP 50 is the greatest protection) Even if you don't believe you are at risk you really should wear sunscreen as you just never know. 

You are more at risk if you are very fair skinned and have lots of freckles or moles.  If you have loads of either always keep an eye on them , and if you cant see them get someone else to monitor them too ( like on your back ).

As for people on sunbeds ? I just dont get it. Got a mate who is a complete health freak.  Healthy foods, diet, runs marathons, cycles the lot. Yet he goes on sunbed regularly. Its his choice , just like it is with people who smoke, drink etc

Thanks @Morgan for highlighting this issue. 

indianajones

Just bought a sun hoodie. Rated UPF 50+. Decent hood and thumb holes to cover pretty much the full hand. 

A must for an outdoor, pasty Scotsman. 

Салатные палочки

I heard from a skin care expert when I was in Gran Canaria a couple of years ago that F50 is basically worthless and you're better putting F30 on your kids. The reason is you can't actually get any higher than F30 and the other 20 is made up of waxes that, although they are said to act as a block, actually melt and accelerate burning. 

I usually wear 30 when on holiday and the last couple of days go down to the 15 that she brings when my skin is kind of used to it. 

JudyJudyJudy
20 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Just bought a sun hoodie. Rated UPF 50+. Decent hood and thumb holes to cover pretty much the full hand. 

A must for an outdoor, pasty Scotsman. 

" North face" does a lot of good UV clothing . There's also a good website " Solbari" . But its expensive. 

indianajones
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

" North face" does a lot of good UV clothing . There's also a good website " Solbari" . But its expensive. 

Yeah their stuff is decent.

Went for an arc'teryx one. Quite expensive but i have a few of their jackets and its completely worth it imo. 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, indianajones said:

Yeah their stuff is decent.

Went for an arc'teryx one. Quite expensive but i have a few of their jackets and its completely worth it imo. 

Yes ive got a few Solbari items.  They are great quality and very protective. 

indianajones
14 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes ive got a few Solbari items.  They are great quality and very protective. 

Rather pay that than get skin cancer! 

Factor 50 is a minimum for sun cream for me. Problem i have it it often sweats off on the super hot days. Its a nightmare when it gets in the eyes too. 

Jambo-Jimbo

One of my neighbours has had several bouts of skin cancer and has had several 'bits' cut out on his face and neck.

He used to be a farm hand and spent long periods working in the sun in fields etc, never used any sun cream, in fairness the risks weren't as well advertised back in the 60's/70's & 80's when all his damage was done.

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Rather pay that than get skin cancer! 

Factor 50 is a minimum for sun cream for me. Problem i have it it often sweats off on the super hot days. Its a nightmare when it gets in the eyes too. 

Yes thats true. Not worth the risk.  Factor  50 for me most of time too.  Yes its nippy when it gets in the eyes. 

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

One of my neighbours has had several bouts of skin cancer and has had several 'bits' cut out on his face and neck.

He used to be a farm hand and spent long periods working in the sun in fields etc, never used any sun cream, in fairness the risks weren't as well advertised back in the 60's/70's & 80's when all his damage was done.

I still think there needs to be more awareness about it.  It has improved.  Thats true.  I have noticed the weather forecast on the TV sometimes mentions the UV levels but doesnt do it all the time.,  It would only take a couple seconds to mention UV levels as well as the temp too. 

15 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Ffs is that really her in that second pic?

4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Yep.

I didn’t think it was her, but my wife did.

Quite horrendous.

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

I didn’t think it was her, but my wife did.

Quite horrendous.

Bloody hell!!!! Used to fancy her too 😂😂😂😂😂

JudyJudyJudy
23 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Blemish free and swarthy here :) 

I quite believe it ! 😎

1 hour ago, 1874robbo said:

Bloody hell!!!! Used to fancy her too 😂😂😂😂😂

So did John Leslie.

4 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

2_Ulrika-Jonsson.jpg

FFS, is that real

Fecking E.T forgot to phone home and use his sunblock.

As a kid hours at Porty Pool, then a few days later peeling skin from my back where it had been burned red by the sun

May 1953 to December 1954, Suez Canal Zone, work uniform Beret, gym shorts, socks and boots. Hot desert sun, by the end of an Egyptian summer, looked like a native, but a wee bit darker because they were smarter than to be in the sun during the hottest hours. Into the police, lots of time off because of shifts, back to Porty Pool and work on retaining the Egyptian tan.

1967 Vancouver. Beautiful summers, down to the beaches with my wife who was also a dedicated sun tanner, lie for hours again went through summers with very dark brown skin. Face and hands always brown. Found Hawaii, wife and I went there for about seven or eight years three times year, for two weeks, again brown skin hours on the Hawaii beaches, swimming and walking.

Retirement, moved to Canadas only true desert Osoyoos B.c lived there for thirteen years, golfed every day , came home sat in the large back garden and again bleached in the hot desert sunny afternoons. Insert a couple of annual trips to Hawaii, still middle eastern brown. Now in Kelowna, still beautiful summers, don't lie in the sun as much but still do outside chores in shorts sandals no tops and take my annual dose of the sun. Not so willing to show my body in public, lots of brown moles and other funny marks, but so far despite regular medicals and doctor keeping an eye on them, none showing cancerous tendencies yet, but if i do get it the time of sufferage will be a lot less than it took me to acquire them, something like at the longest two years to the eighty seven years of glorious sunshine with a beautiful healthy looking tan.

indianajones
1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

As a kid hours at Porty Pool, then a few days later peeling skin from my back where it had been burned red by the sun

May 1953 to December 1954, Suez Canal Zone, work uniform Beret, gym shorts, socks and boots. Hot desert sun, by the end of an Egyptian summer, looked like a native, but a wee bit darker because they were smarter than to be in the sun during the hottest hours. Into the police, lots of time off because of shifts, back to Porty Pool and work on retaining the Egyptian tan.

1967 Vancouver. Beautiful summers, down to the beaches with my wife who was also a dedicated sun tanner, lie for hours again went through summers with very dark brown skin. Face and hands always brown. Found Hawaii, wife and I went there for about seven or eight years three times year, for two weeks, again brown skin hours on the Hawaii beaches, swimming and walking.

Retirement, moved to Canadas only true desert Osoyoos B.c lived there for thirteen years, golfed every day , came home sat in the large back garden and again bleached in the hot desert sunny afternoons. Insert a couple of annual trips to Hawaii, still middle eastern brown. Now in Kelowna, still beautiful summers, don't lie in the sun as much but still do outside chores in shorts sandals no tops and take my annual dose of the sun. Not so willing to show my body in public, lots of brown moles and other funny marks, but so far despite regular medicals and doctor keeping an eye on them, none showing cancerous tendencies yet, but if i do get it the time of sufferage will be a lot less than it took me to acquire them, something like at the longest two years to the eighty seven years of glorious sunshine with a beautiful healthy looking tan.

Just goes to show really. 

Probably something to do with the butter and cream consumption your generation did! 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, indianajones said:

Just goes to show really. 

Probably something to do with the butter and cream consumption your generation did! 

Yes that’s what I can’t understand how has there been a massive increase in skin cancers ? I mean any type ? In the last few decades ? 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

Some skin cancers can be on your body for years and just progress really slow . Hence older people having various marks on their body which can be a less harmless skin cancer called BCC 

( Basel cell carcinoma ) . They can be easily removed and cause no further damage . It’s melanoma which is the more deadly and invasive one . 

I lost a friend to cancer on Sunday I found out this morning. Started with skin cancer and then became others. He was given the all clear a couple of years ago and was back working and enjoying his life. It came back aggressively a month ago and took him that quickly. He was a super keen golfer and spent all his spare time on the course, one of those people that didn’t really burn and tended not to wear a hat when he was playing. Healthy bloke with never an I’ll day in his life until the cancer. 65 years old and leaving his wife of 49 years and two adult sons. Bloody awful news to start the week. 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

I lost a friend to cancer on Sunday I found out this morning. Started with skin cancer and then became others. He was given the all clear a couple of years ago and was back working and enjoying his life. It came back aggressively a month ago and took him that quickly. He was a super keen golfer and spent all his spare time on the course, one of those people that didn’t really burn and tended not to wear a hat when he was playing. Healthy bloke with never an I’ll day in his life until the cancer. 65 years old and leaving his wife of 49 years and two adult sons. Bloody awful news to start the week. 

My mother, dead Cancer, My father dead, Cancer, my wife dead Cancer,  I was the smoker, drinker,sun bather, you name it the cancer causer and I done it, still think it will probably be an irate husband that dispatches me. I don't run as fast as I used to, mind you most of the husbands who will be chasing me arnae any speedsters either.

10 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Most of the weege like to be orange…….also wearing a white Fred perry top also enhances the orange ness…….as well as white trainers of course…………………and let’s not forget the jeans with a crease down the front to finish off the look.

And highlanders like to shag white wooly sheep 🐏. ⚖️

My Cypriot O/H uses Baby Lotion when we are at the beach, yet she batters me with the factor 50 lol 

The Real Maroonblood

Although I like the sun as it can give you a good feeling I’ve never been one to sunbathe.

Being of fair skin it’s probably just as well I don’t sunbathe.

JudyJudyJudy
9 hours ago, Tazio said:

Sadly once you have had one cancer you can be prone to others . Sorry to hear this news . 

dobmisterdobster

My arms got burnt to a crisp in Glasgow a few years back. Felt like I was lying on broken glass when I laid down.

You never expect to have to wear sunscreen when visiting Scotland.

John Findlay

Away back in 1981. I fell asleep on the beach in Barbados. The result was I received between 25 and 30% burns to my body. Mainly my back and face.

This resulted in me in having 8 days in the sickbay onboard my ship. The first 3 days I could lie only on my front with my chin on the pillow, had to take in a pint and a half of fluids a hour(predominantly Orange squash).

The Navy debated whether to fly me home or not, and charge me with self inflicted injury. Luckily for me neither of those happened.

Ever since then I have been a very reluctant sunbathers, and I always use sun cream factor 50. 

Naturally I never suntan. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, dobmisterdobster said:

My arms got burnt to a crisp in Glasgow a few years back. Felt like I was lying on broken glass when I laid down.

You never expect to have to wear sunscreen when visiting Scotland.

Uv level is 5 today in Edinburgh . That’s pretty high actually