Colourised Picture Hearts v Hibs 1896

GBJambo

Preston Jambo
1 hour ago, PortyBeach said:

Yes, it’s strange that for many their love for Hibernian FC seems to necessarily also require a dislike of all things HMFC.

I can’t remember what Lugton says about Hearts’ support for Hibs’ inclusion in Scottish football - do tell!

Lugtons mention of Hearts support is brief "... finally, of all teams, Heart of Midlothian agreed to play Hibernian on Christmas
Day 1875."

PortyBeach
4 minutes ago, Preston Jambo said:

Lugtons mention of Hearts support is brief "... finally, of all teams, Heart of Midlothian agreed to play Hibernian on Christmas
Day 1875."

Thanks, PJ.
I recall that now because I remember at the time being taken aback by the phrase “of all teams”.

Remember this was 1875 - the year Hibs were founded. So there was no history between the clubs, no animosity. Hearts wouldn’t have given Hibs their support otherwise, surely?

And yet, Lugton can’t resist implying Hearts  - the pantomime villains - were the surprise source of this support. 
Damned by faint praise, indeed.

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

This got me thinking, do we actually have any good reason for the six yard box to still exist? Goal kicks are the only time I can think they'd be useful, and even then, only slightly

That's it sole purpose, goalkeepers using the 6 yard line for goal kicks. 

3 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

Yes, it’s strange that for many their love for Hibernian FC seems to necessarily also require a dislike of all things HMFC.

I can’t remember what Lugton says about Hearts’ support for Hibs’ inclusion in Scottish football - do tell!

Unfortunately I cannot recall what was put into print, im sure what ever credit was given was limited and written through gritted teeth.

One review for The Making of Hibernian, 

"Malevolent influences are Hearts and Glasgow Rangers" 

Come on Alan J Martin it's Heart of Midlothian.

Not quite getting the malevolent influences though. 

Screenshot_20220607-133151_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e1484fac340fddbd2b520b17a6b22392.jpg

Screenshot_20220607-133647_Chrome.jpg

Edited by dannymack

1 hour ago, PortyBeach said:

Thanks, PJ.
I recall that now because I remember at the time being taken aback by the phrase “of all teams”.

Remember this was 1875 - the year Hibs were founded. So there was no history between the clubs, no animosity. Hearts wouldn’t have given Hibs their support otherwise, surely?

And yet, Lugton can’t resist implying Hearts  - the pantomime villains - were the surprise source of this support. 
Damned by faint praise, indeed.

Spot on.

It was the first game Hibernian ever played. How could Hearts have been anything other than neighbours. Good neighbours at that.

Everybody needs them. 😄

PortyBeach
1 hour ago, martoon said:

Spot on.

It was the first game Hibernian ever played. How could Hearts have been anything other than neighbours. Good neighbours at that.

Everybody needs them. 😄

😀

PortyBeach
1 hour ago, dannymack said:

One review for The Making of Hibernian, 

"Malevolent influences are Hearts and Glasgow Rangers" 

Come on Alan J Martin it's Heart of Midlothian.

Not quite getting the malevolent influences though. 

Screenshot_20220607-133151_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e1484fac340fddbd2b520b17a6b22392.jpg

Screenshot_20220607-133647_Chrome.jpg

Good spot, Danny.
The second reviewer is conceding that the narrative is biased - but that it might have been more so “considering the post-Mercer era”! Oh, well - that’s OK then.

Like most Hibbies, I suspect Lugton would have ignored the fact that David Rowland approached Mercer to buy Hibs shares, not the other way round.

Edited by PortyBeach

PortyBeach
5 hours ago, dannymack said:

Unfortunately I cannot recall what was put into print, im sure what ever credit was given was limited and written through gritted teeth.

See PJ’s comment. Seems like your prediction was spot on 😊

50 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

See PJ’s comment. Seems like your prediction was spot on 😊

👌🏻

• 2 weeks later...