• GBJambo changed the title to Colourised Picture Hearts v Hibs 1896
No longer active
1 minute ago, GBJambo said:

Logie Green Park 
Scottish Cup Final 1896

Great picture. 

9BF6EC8B-AF5B-443B-AB4E-31E43A3B267B.jpeg.c2ad49bffa716f9dc55b70bf5355ef87.jpeg

Spot the ball !

Markings on the pitch are very different.

No penalty spot, 6 yard box, 18 yard box.

Ref looking like a deer stalker.

jamboinglasgow
27 minutes ago, Australis said:

The ref looks like a fan who just came onto the pitch for a closer look

1 hour ago, GBJambo said:

Logie Green Park 
Scottish Cup Final 1896

Great picture. 

That same photo is on the cover of the 2012 cup final programme in black and white though

5 hours ago, Australis said:

6 yard area looks like a big erse 😄

been here before
5 hours ago, Australis said:

6 minutes ago, whodanny said:

6 yard area looks like a big erse 😄

The twelve yard line was put in place, with penalty takers able to strike the ball from anywhere along that line. An interesting concept when you realise that the line went all the way across the pitch as a mirror of the eighteen yard line. The goalkeeper’s area was put in place, but it wasn’t the box that we’re used to nowadays. Instead it was in a shape that can really only be described as looking like a pair of breasts. It began a couple of foot either side of the goalposts and curved up to meet in the middle of the goal, but rather than meet as a full curve it came together as the lines do at the top of a Valentine’s Day heart. The football pitch began to take on a shape far more similar to what we’re used to in this day and age, though it had enough differences to mean that a modern fan wouldn’t have been one-hundred percent confident of what they were looking at if they saw it.

https://www.football-stadiums.co.uk/articles/football-pitch-markings/

Kalamazoo Jambo
6 hours ago, luckydug said:

Any idea if its for sale anywhere ? 🤔

Don’t know but the guy who did the colourisation is George Childers - @garswoodlatic on Twitter and ‘Colourised by George’ on Facebook if you want to contact him.

1 hour ago, been here before said:

The twelve yard line was put in place, with penalty takers able to strike the ball from anywhere along that line. An interesting concept when you realise that the line went all the way across the pitch as a mirror of the eighteen yard line. The goalkeeper’s area was put in place, but it wasn’t the box that we’re used to nowadays. Instead it was in a shape that can really only be described as looking like a pair of breasts. It began a couple of foot either side of the goalposts and curved up to meet in the middle of the goal, but rather than meet as a full curve it came together as the lines do at the top of a Valentine’s Day heart. The football pitch began to take on a shape far more similar to what we’re used to in this day and age, though it had enough differences to mean that a modern fan wouldn’t have been one-hundred percent confident of what they were looking at if they saw it.

Brilliant, I never knew any off that thank you.

Bet the penalty spots were only painted if it was a Rangers match lol.

PortyBeach
21 hours ago, GBJambo said:

Logie Green Park 
Scottish Cup Final 1896

Great picture. 

I think that’s Warrender Crescent in the background behind the rail line.

This was a great era for Edinburgh football. The previous season, Hearts won the First Division title, Hibs the Second Division title, and St Bernard’s (whose ground this was) won the Scottish Cup - the year known as the “Edinburgh Slam”.

As well as winning the cup in 1895-96, I think I’m right in saying we won the First Division again the following year. Happy days!

X marks the spot were the half way line was, or thereabouts,note the train/waggons are sitting on the embankment and compare it with the Google maps image were the green line cycle path is ( disused railway)

Screenshot_20220603-142756_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20220603-143019_WhatsApp.jpg

Edited by dannymack

The Treasurer
9 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

This was a great era for Edinburgh football. The previous season, Hearts won the First Division title, Hibs the Second Division title, and St Bernard’s (whose ground this was) won the Scottish Cup - the year known as the “Edinburgh Slam”.

As well as winning the cup in 1895-96, I think I’m right in saying we won the First Division again the following year. Happy days!

Some things never change. 

The wee team won the wee cup, while Edinburgh's big clubs won the big trophies 😁

Montgomery Brewster
10 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

Amazing photo brought to colour life. 

A snapshot in time which means so much to everyone of a maroon persuasion. As the old quote goes 

WE WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER 

THEY WILL NEVER FORGET 

GORGIE RULES. FTH !

been here before

These colourised pictures always look pretty shite. Like some bairns been let loose with MS Paint on a 2nd year art project.

Much better with the original b&w, far more authentic.

PortyBeach

Here’s the ground in relation to the former (New) Powderhall stadium.

Noted more for greyhound racing, this ground also hosted at various times St. Bernard’s, Leith Athletic, and Edinburgh City.

D56259ED-7419-4CB8-890D-8D1A87AE9360.webp

PortyBeach
12 hours ago, dannymack said:

X marks the spot were the half way line was, or thereabouts,note the train/waggons are sitting on the embankment and compare it with the Google maps image were the green line cycle path is ( disused railway)

That modern map certainly puts the ground’s location into context.

This is an important location in terms of Edinburgh and Scottish football: the only occasion a Scottish Cup final was played outside Glasgow and held at the lost home of a famous, now-defunct, Edinburgh football club.

Surely the site merits a commemorative plaque or sign of some sort?

Special Agent Dale Cooper
12 hours ago, been here before said:

These colourised pictures always look pretty shite. Like some bairns been let loose with MS Paint on a 2nd year art project.

This. Pretty poor.

8 minutes ago, Special Agent Dale Cooper said:

This. Pretty poor.

the only real problem I have with it is how clean their shorts are …………. they are running about in a quagmire for goodness sake 😄 

south morocco
15 hours ago, dannymack said:

Houses in the back are Warriston Crescent, still there today 

16 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

Following Danny’s post, this is an old map of St Bernard’s New Logie Green ground…

A8397C05-BE97-4697-AF2F-691BA8DA2BE9.png

👍👌🏻

On 03/06/2022 at 12:39, GBJambo said:

Logie Green Park 
Scottish Cup Final 1896

Great picture. 

Good eyesight needed to watch the football in those days. 

Camouflage ball, both teams in dark tops with white shorts, keepers just wearing the same kits, and the ref is potentially just some bloke from the crowd who has invaded the pitch. :lol: 

Edited by Ray Gin

16 hours ago, been here before said:

Yes, as we all know, human eyes were unable to see colour until the 1960s, so the black and white originals were the most accurate representation of those times.
[/sarcasm]

PortyBeach
36 minutes ago, dannymack said:

"Dowdy Health due to their hotel life" 

Oh aye 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺😇

Screenshot_20220605-155915_Chrome.jpg

Yes, club historian David Speed talked about the team’s pre-match preparation:

”The Hearts committee made every effort to have their players in peak physical condition for the final, so they moved them all into the Union Hotel on Lothian Road for three weeks. It made sense because players frequently picked up injuries grafting in hard, manual industries – and the Hearts team at that time included miners, printworkers, a blacksmith, a dairyman and a plumber. They lived in miners’ rows with no bathrooms or inside toilets, their diet wasn’t particularly healthy and footballers at the time also enjoyed a pint or two.

“The Union hotel was owned by a Hearts fan, Tom Kay, who undoubtedly gave the club preferential rates. There was no way this was a prison camp for players. A soft bed and good food? It would have been treated like a holiday.”

been here before
2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Yes, as we all know, human eyes were unable to see colour until the 1960s, so the black and white originals were the most accurate representation of those times.
[/sarcasm]

Im sure that inside your head that's coherent.

PortyBeach
4 hours ago, sassenach said:

The kickoff was at 4pm in mid March, many years before floodlights were invented.  The last half hour must have been played in darkness.

A bit strange, certainly! 🤔

7 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

Yes, club historian David Speed talked about the team’s pre-match preparation:

”The Hearts committee made every effort to have their players in peak physical condition for the final, so they moved them all into the Union Hotel on Lothian Road for three weeks. It made sense because players frequently picked up injuries grafting in hard, manual industries – and the Hearts team at that time included miners, printworkers, a blacksmith, a dairyman and a plumber. They lived in miners’ rows with no bathrooms or inside toilets, their diet wasn’t particularly healthy and footballers at the time also enjoyed a pint or two.

“The Union hotel was owned by a Hearts fan, Tom Kay, who undoubtedly gave the club preferential rates. There was no way this was a prison camp for players. A soft bed and good food? It would have been treated like a holiday.”

Brilliant  ! Surprised Hibs didn't complain about that, on what grounds God only knows but I'm sure they would have thought of something. 

Edinburghs Darlings, the quintessential, establishment club.

PortyBeach
7 hours ago, dannymack said:

Brilliant  ! Surprised Hibs didn't complain about that, on what grounds God only knows but I'm sure they would have thought of something. 

Edinburghs Darlings, the quintessential, establishment club.

Edina’s Darlings, indeed. On one of the interesting links you’ve provided, there’s a reference to “Renton’s protest”.

David Speed also talks about that:

“Amazingly, the game was only given the go-ahead the day before after Renton failed to secure an interdict at the Court of Session. They claimed a Hibs player, Tom Robertson, should have been ineligible in the semi-final, which they lost 2-1.

“Robertson and Hibs argued his appearance the previous summer in a match for Kirkmuirhill against the wonderfully named Larkhall Unknowns didn’t mean he was committed to another club. Robertson argued he only joined in the equivalent of a bounce match when he spotted it being played during a walk in the country. The law lords found in his favour.”

As it was, Hibs may have been better off without the hapless Robertson, who handled three minutes into the final, allowing Hearts to open the scoring from a penalty by Davie Baird. Alex King and Willie Michael were also on target before Jo O’Neill’s consolation.”

Oh, well…😊

PortyBeach

Another extract from the article. Happy days, indeed…

“The 1890s were salad days for Hearts, who won the league twice and finished runners-up twice, while their 1896 success in the Cup added to a previous victory in 1891.”

PapaShango
On 03/06/2022 at 12:39, GBJambo said:

Logie Green Park 
Scottish Cup Final 1896

Great picture. 

What a photo that is. 

On 04/06/2022 at 21:19, been here before said:

18960314 Hearts in the Press from Scotsman HEART OF MID-LOTHIAN v  HIBERNIANS None

I'll take the colourisation, thanks.

Lugton's "Making of Hibernian" version of events of the 1896 final is a great laugh.

The Hearts fans "foolishly" goaded their rivals at full time but the Irishmen did not rise to it and walked away with their dignity intact. 😄

:clubbed:

I didn't buy his trilogy, obviously, but skimmed through or sheepishly borrowed them from the library many years back.

The grimmest of fairy tales where Hibs are the saintly and righteous and Hearts are petty, vindictive and evil.

It's like a written version of a boo/hiss panto. 

been here before
35 minutes ago, Nobreath said:

18960314 Hearts in the Press from Scotsman HEART OF MID-LOTHIAN v  HIBERNIANS None

I'll take the colourisation, thanks.

Cool story, Im happy for you. :thumb:

PortyBeach
1 hour ago, martoon said:

Lugton's "Making of Hibernian" version of events of the 1896 final is a great laugh.

The Hearts fans "foolishly" goaded their rivals at full time but the Irishmen did not rise to it and walked away with their dignity intact. 😄

I didn't buy his trilogy, obviously, but skimmed through or sheepishly borrowed them from the library many years back.

The grimmest of fairy tales where Hibs are the saintly and righteous and Hearts are petty, vindictive and evil.

Lugton spoils his work by his pettiness against Hearts.

My “favourite” example is when he contrasts Easter Road’s openness and surrounding vistas, with Tynecastle’s more cramped environment which he likens to Hearts playing in a “hole”.
A pity really, because otherwise it’s an interesting read.

13 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

My “favourite” example is when he contrasts Easter Road’s openness and surrounding vistas, with Tynecastle’s more cramped environment which he likens to Hearts playing in a “hole”.

It does Hibs and their fans a disservice, PB.

A club history should be just that: a true, non dewy eyed, record of fact and reality.

Little wonder the dotnut, and Hibby in general, lives in a fantasy land of flair, swashbuckling and inventing Brazil.

Mind you, it keeps them happy and under our control.

I wouldn't change a thing, bud.

FTHibs

Preston Jambo
1 hour ago, martoon said:

A club history should be just that: a true, non dewy eyed, record of fact and reality.

Little wonder the dotnut, and Hibby in general, lives in a fantasy land of flair, swashbuckling and inventing Brazil.

FTHibs

I've got all three of the books but only read two so far. 

I agree there's lots of interesting detail in them but spoiled by the bias.

The best instance was the incident which led to the riot in the Roseberry cup final.

James McGee made a hard but fair tackle on Hearts Mark Bell who made the most if it, leading to the crowd trouble.

Lugton omits the minor detail that Bells leg was broken in the tackle!

1 hour ago, Preston Jambo said:

The best instance was the incident which led to the riot in the Roseberry cup final.

James McGee made a hard but fair tackle on Hearts Mark Bell who made the most if it, leading to the crowd trouble.

I particularly recall how Hibs' derby wins, and heroic draws, get full attention and detail. 

Hearts derby wins are a sentence or two or skipped over completely.

Hearts 5 Hibs 2, on New Year's day 1935, didn't happen and the September game later that year is described as having 11 goals; Hibs scored three.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading them, PJ.

A ludicrous, rose tinted fairytale about a funny little club. 

The Hibby laps it up, takes it as gospel and, therefore, believes everything is fine in their world.

Long may they keep persevering with their fantasies.

PortyBeach

I think we’re all being as objective as three Jambos can be in our comments on Lugton’s trilogy!

Significantly, we’ve all independently  highlighted examples  of where Lugton’s inability to be impartial has detracted from an otherwise interesting narrative concerning Edinburgh football and social history.

On the bright side lads, I’ve seen these books listed for sale at hundreds of £££s (it’s out of print, now). 😊

12 hours ago, martoon said:

11 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

10 hours ago, martoon said:

FTHibs

8 hours ago, Preston Jambo said:

7 hours ago, martoon said:

I particularly recall how Hibs' derby wins, and heroic draws, get full attention and detail. 

Hearts derby wins are a sentence or two or skipped over completely.

Hearts 5 Hibs 2, on New Year's day 1935, didn't happen and the September game later that year is described as having 11 goals; Hibs scored three.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading them, PJ.

A ludicrous, rose tinted fairytale about a funny little club. 

The Hibby laps it up, takes it as gospel and, therefore, believes everything is fine in their world.

Long may they keep persevering with their fantasies.

17 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

I think we’re all being as objective as three Jambos can be in our comments on Lugton’s trilogy!

Significantly, we’ve all independently  highlighted examples  of where Lugton’s inability to be impartial has detracted from an otherwise interesting narrative concerning Edinburgh football and social history.

On the bright side lads, I’ve seen these books listed for sale at hundreds of £££s (it’s out of print, now). 😊

It's been a number of years since I read the first book, a Hibee once dared me to read it after I questioned the "Hail Hail" song and their lot "knowing their history". 

My conclusion at finishing the book was to point out that I now knew exactly were the bitterness that flows through the hibernian support comes from. Nearly every single reference to the Heart of Midlothian FC was tainted, it was very clear to see. 

However I'll need to review again the section where the sectarian issue is raised and HMFC stood by their rivals and accepted their existence in Scottish Football and see if credit is given were credit is due. 

That aside Lugton and the rest of Hibernian support are full of twisted, bitterness, passed down from Grandfather to Father to son, Grandmother to Mother to daughter. 

PortyBeach
1 hour ago, dannymack said:

It's been a number of years since I read the first book, a Hibee once dared me to read it after I questioned the "Hail Hail" song and their lot "knowing their history". 

My conclusion at finishing the book was to point out that I now knew exactly were the bitterness that flows through the hibernian support comes from. Nearly every single reference to the Heart of Midlothian FC was tainted, it was very clear to see. 

However I'll need to review again the section where the sectarian issue is raised and HMFC stood by their rivals and accepted their existence in Scottish Football and see if credit is given were credit is due. 

That aside Lugton and the rest of Hibernian support are full of twisted, bitterness, passed down from Grandfather to Father to son, Grandmother to Mother to daughter. 

Yes, it’s strange that for many their love for Hibernian FC seems to necessarily also require a dislike of all things HMFC.

I can’t remember what Lugton says about Hearts’ support for Hibs’ inclusion in Scottish football - do tell!

Unknown user
On 03/06/2022 at 18:34, been here before said:

This got me thinking, do we actually have any good reason for the six yard box to still exist? Goal kicks are the only time I can think they'd be useful, and even then, only slightly

Nookie Bear
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

This got me thinking, do we actually have any good reason for the six yard box to still exist? Goal kicks are the only time I can think they'd be useful, and even then, only slightly

How would we know where our defence needs to camp when we go to Glasgow?

amirite??