Share Your Hilarious Willie Johnston Stories Here

Deodato

That Peter Shields thread introduced me to a Hampden Babylon legend Willie Johnston. 

Thank you YouTube, as there's a truck load of stories about him and they leave you hurting your ribs laughing. 

I'm new to this character, only just learned he played for Hearts under Alex McDonald, but this Baggies story takes some beating. 

Negotiating the cost of a greenhouse whilst taking corner kicks - one week at a time. 

Edited by Deodato

Rogue Daddy

🤣 Great character, not seen that before! I remember watching him at Tynie roasting a guy down the left and continually getting his shirt tugged. He eventually squared up to the player, took his shirt off and handed it to him! I think he got a card for it. Don't remember the game but it was in front of the shed.

hmfc_liam06

A good friend of relatives of mine and uncle of a friend, we're all from the same Fife village.

There's an annual pub 7 a side tournament in his name, always a great day where he turns up for the presentation.

Bull's-eye

I remember him blowing out of his arse after 5 minutes when he 1st rocked up at Tynecastle.

He did improve marginally.

Safe to say we didn't get to see him at the peak of his powers.

Saw him play for Hearts in a pre-season friendly against Broxburn at the Albyn Park, just seemed unreal watching a player of his calibre in those surroundings. 

His cross leading up to Dalglish’s goal against England in 1977 was outstanding, totally destroyed a photographer.

1 hour ago, Rogue Daddy said:

🤣 Great character, not seen that before! I remember watching him at Tynie roasting a guy down the left and continually getting his shirt tugged. He eventually squared up to the player, took his shirt off and handed it to him! I think he got a card for it. Don't remember the game but it was in front of the shed.

I'm laughing so much here, it hurts. 

1 hour ago, briever said:

His cross leading up to Dalglish’s goal against England in 1977 was outstanding, totally destroyed a photographer.

Oof - good attention to detail. Wonder what he said to the photie merchant?

7 minutes ago, j1964m said:

Wow - that's the one! Here's Alan Ball telling the story, never knew footage existed. Respect. 

Cold day at Morton. Reserve match Bud is on the bench and what looked like condensation from his breathe was in fact Willie smoking a fag 🤣

davemclaren

Met him and Craig levein ( and other players ) in a pub on Lothian Road Xmas 1982. They had been on the team Xmas night out and I was as on a Uni end of term night out. Can’t remember quite how our conversation went as we were all pretty pissed. That’s my Willie claim to fame. 

Pasquale for King

When we’re down below and playing away from home, can’t remember where but we were in a high stand so 🤷🏾‍♂️, his marker was pulling his strip and after playing it off the guy he took it off and handed it too him 😆

Pasquale for King

When Gary Mackay had his autobiography launch at Tynecastle and they ended up in the Diggers, I was pretty awestruck to see Willie and he bought me a drink when he got a round in. 
I was a left winger in my youth( still am) when he was a player so as always an idol of mine. 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Just read that after posting, he must’ve done it a few times 😆

Rogue Daddy
38 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Just read that after posting, he must’ve done it a few times 😆

😆 ...wouldn't put it past him!

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

Cold day at Morton. Reserve match Bud is on the bench and what looked like condensation from his breathe was in fact Willie smoking a fag 🤣

HA! I've heard similar stories about John Robertson from Notts Forrest. He'd sit in the toilet cubicle at half time to avoid Cloughie's boll*cking and have a quick fag - turn out in the second half and play the best football in all of Europe. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Deodato said:

HA! I've heard similar stories about John Robertson from Notts Forrest. He'd sit in the toilet cubicle at half time to avoid Cloughie's boll*cking and have a quick fag - turn out in the second half and play the best football in all of Europe. 

Cryuff and others smoked too. 
https://sportmob.com/en/article/901598-Footballers-Who-Smoke-or-Used-to-Smoke

I have a memory of the shed shouting  "Bud bud show us yer arAse" and as he started to so do he got booked not sure if, after all this time, my memory is playing tricks or not.

Cairneyhill Jambo

When we were in the Championship,we had just beaten Rangers 2-0 at home. Jason Holt and a Jamie Walker penalty. I was standing on the platform at Haymarket waiting on the train back to Fife when this guy lights up a cigarette. About 20 folk looked round unimpressed then realised it was Willie Johnston. He didn't give a toss. 

Weakened Offender

Motherwell away, there was a break in play and Doddie and Bud were standing right in front of the Hearts support. Doddie picked up the ball and shouted "Bud, keepie uppie!" and off they both went for ages, the whole Hearts support was loving it. 

periodictabledancer

Back in the 80s I had a mate who lived in Kirkcaldy and said he often saw bud on to the train home from Edinburgh , swigging a cairy oot. 

16 hours ago, brownkg said:

I have a memory of the shed shouting  "Bud bud show us yer arAse" and as he started to so do he got booked not sure if, after all this time, my memory is playing tricks or not.

It isn't. 

He'd done that to the shed when playing for Rangers so it became quite a common chant when he signed. 

TorinoJambo

Dumbarton away at old Boghead. This Dumbarton lassie is giving Bud dog's abuse. We get a throw near where she's standing. Bud picks up the ball and steps backwards to take a run at it, turns around and signals her to lean in as if he's got something to tell her, then kisses her on the cheek. Her face was a picture and everybody's guffawing. Priceless.

17 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Met him and Craig levein ( and other players ) in a pub on Lothian Road Xmas 1982. They had been on the team Xmas night out and I was as on a Uni end of term night out. Can’t remember quite how our conversation went as we were all pretty pissed. That’s my Willie claim to fame. 

You’re probably a year younger than you think. Craig Levein never signed until 1983. 

My claim to fame is he threw me the ball to head back to him whilst someone was receiving treatment. He was waiting to take a throw in at Hamilton Accies. Had the wee mark from the asphalt track on my hat and wouldn’t let my mum wash it. 

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Shaggy2 said:

You’re probably a year younger than you think. Craig Levein never signed until 1983. 

My claim to fame is he threw me the ball to head back to him whilst someone was receiving treatment. He was waiting to take a throw in at Hamilton Accies. Had the wee mark from the asphalt track on my hat and wouldn’t let my mum wash it. 

Yes, must have been 1983. 

3 hours ago, TorinoJambo said:

Dumbarton away at old Boghead. This Dumbarton lassie is giving Bud dog's abuse. We get a throw near where she's standing. Bud picks up the ball and steps backwards to take a run at it, turns around and signals her to lean in as if he's got something to tell her, then kisses her on the cheek. Her face was a picture and everybody's guffawing. Priceless.

Love this. All my days, these stories really are priceless. 

Jangling Jack

I was in his pub in Kirkcaldy. He was playing pool and when he bent down to take his shot the guy he was playing did an exaggerated, funny cough. Willie stood up and said: "Listen, I've been booed by 60,000 people, you think that's going to ******* put me off?!" 

1 hour ago, Jangling Jack said:

I was in his pub in Kirkcaldy. He was playing pool and when he bent down to take his shot the guy he was playing did an exaggerated, funny cough. Willie stood up and said: "Listen, I've been booed by 60,000 people, you think that's going to ******* put me off?!" 

:laugh:

jambos are go!

What I find funny is that despite his advancing years  many Hearts fans did not come to realise that he was probably the most talented all round forward  ever to play for us!

Fort Vallance

Willie and some of his customers from his pub did an exchange every year in my local in Arbroath. One time when they were in one of his mates started sneezing. He said in all innocence,  it's the hay fever. I said Willie will something in his bag for that. Cue laughter.  Luckily Bud saw the funny side.

Doctor FinnBarr

Walked into a pub in Magaluf wearing a Hearts t-shirt and someone started singing the Hearts song. It was Bud on a lads holiday, seemed like a decent guy.

PortyBeach
2 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Walked into a pub in Magaluf wearing a Hearts t-shirt and someone started singing the Hearts song. It was Bud on a lads holiday, seemed like a decent guy.

Great memory! I met him at his Kirkcaldy pub a couple of times and he was friendly and amusing. Great anecdotes! 
Totally belied his reputation although I suppose like most of us, he could be a bit crazy at times.

Mentioned in the "served a pint" forum wi Willie and the Scotland v Morocco game.  

In the Port Brae and a bell end makes a racist comment. Wee Bud straight up and carries the boy from the neck out of the pub... Funny thing was Bud was half his height and walked the wee wank out of the pub wearing his slippers. As a witness and others we had had his back.  

Was way before my time but inherited his book when my Papa passed away, this thread has prompted me to give it a read

RottingdeanJambo

I read this forum a lot but don’t often post anything, but I’m moved this morning to add this. 
Back in the ‘80’s I had a part-time job in one of the shoe shops along Princes St. I was in the back where we stored the shoes and one of the boys I worked with case through and insisted I came out front as there was someone there I’d want to serve. Don was a Celtic fan, but he knew I was a Jambo. 
I came out and there was Willie having just signed for Hearts. He showed me his new grey suit and told me he wanted maroon shoes to go with it. I asked if this was for the club and he just said “aye son - I’ve got to effin pay for them maself”. I couldn’t believe it. Anyway - I found him a nice pair of slip ons that went well. Size 6 if I remember correctly.  I wanted to ask about Argentina but bottled it. I thanked Don for coming to get me by the way!! Thanks for reading!! 

SpruceBringsteen

It's not really hilarious, but the first goal I ever saw a Hearts player score in my life was Willie Johnston v Celtic in 84/85. I don't think we won. Anyway, I always kept that in mind. Got a goldfish, called it Willie Johnston etc etc. Anyway, around a decade ago there was a book launch that ended up in Diggers. Zico, Henry, Willie. The troops. There with my old boy, who couldn't have cared less. Anyway, went to the wee boy's room and when I came out - Willie Johnston's at the bar shouting my name. Bought me a pint, sat me down and chewed the fat for a half hour. My Faither nabbed him the second I went to the pisser, and he couldn't have been more of a gentleman. 

A diamond.

J.T.F.Robertson
11 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

It's not really hilarious, but the first goal I ever saw a Hearts player score in my life was Willie Johnston v Celtic in 84/85. I don't think we won. Anyway, I always kept that in mind. Got a goldfish, called it Willie Johnston etc etc. Anyway, around a decade ago there was a book launch that ended up in Diggers. Zico, Henry, Willie. The troops. There with my old boy, who couldn't have cared less. Anyway, went to the wee boy's room and when I came out - Willie Johnston's at the bar shouting my name. Bought me a pint, sat me down and chewed the fat for a half hour. My Faither nabbed him the second I went to the pisser, and he couldn't have been more of a gentleman. 

A diamond.

Ever miss that back room and your pals?

davemclaren
10 hours ago, RottingdeanJambo said:

I read this forum a lot but don’t often post anything, but I’m moved this morning to add this. 
Back in the ‘80’s I had a part-time job in one of the shoe shops along Princes St. I was in the back where we stored the shoes and one of the boys I worked with case through and insisted I came out front as there was someone there I’d want to serve. Don was a Celtic fan, but he knew I was a Jambo. 
I came out and there was Willie having just signed for Hearts. He showed me his new grey suit and told me he wanted maroon shoes to go with it. I asked if this was for the club and he just said “aye son - I’ve got to effin pay for them maself”. I couldn’t believe it. Anyway - I found him a nice pair of slip ons that went well. Size 6 if I remember correctly.  I wanted to ask about Argentina but bottled it. I thanked Don for coming to get me by the way!! Thanks for reading!! 

Nice story. Hearts were skint then and Alex got various players he knew well to come to Hearts basically as a favour to him. Great times as we were just starting to come out of 15 years of under achievement. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
14 hours ago, cookieboy said:

scored the goal that took us to Europe 

Came on as a sub, immediately got booked for poking Murdo McLeod in the face, then placed the ball and scored a 30+ yard free kick to win the game. What a player.

23 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Came on as a sub, immediately got booked for poking Murdo McLeod in the face, then placed the ball and scored a 30+ yard free kick to win the game. What a player.

23 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

think it got us a 1 1 draw and qualify for europe

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
3 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

think it got us a 1 1 draw and qualify for europe

👍

Happy to be corrected, I was just a young thing then.

ford donald
15 hours ago, cookieboy said:

scored the goal that took us to Europe 

Great player,put him in the same class as Cooper(rangers),Robertson(nott forest),there likes will never be seen again.

I was at Love Street Paisley for a Hearts v St Mirren game in the enclosure in front of the Main Stand and Willie was trackside warming up and getting pelters from some of the St Mirren fans (before segregation) and he just bent over with his backside facing the stand and dropped his shorts.

Auld Reekin'
4 hours ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

:icon14:  Good man!  :jjyay: