Nottingham Forest

tartofmidlothian

12 hours ago, Percival King said:

Spot on. I’ve just had a look at the top 4 English divisions and was amazed I can remember 54 of the teams being in the top division (and I think I only missed Carlisle by a year or two). English football never has to wait too long for another unfancied team (like Bournemouth, Swindon, Bradford or Oldham) to get into the top division and I think English football is richer and more authentic for it.

But it's based on money, Bournemouth for example - nothing authentic about them.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Boab

• The Hogfather

• John Findlay

• briever

6 minutes ago, briever said:

But it's based on money, Bournemouth for example - nothing authentic about them.

100 years in the Football League next year. Granted they were called Boscome before 1971 but I'm sure their fans think they are authentic !

A_A wehatethehibs
4 minutes ago, briever said:

There’s nothing authentic about any club then, as the entire game of football is based on money. So the sport itself is inauthentic if that’s the measure of authenticity. Nottingham Forest are owned by a not-quite billionaire as well.

3 minutes ago, Boab said:

100 years in the Football League next year. Granted they were called Boscome before 1971 but I'm sure their fans think they are authentic !

I am sure they do, but the fact they make the EPL is all about money.  Plenty of positive stories of clubs making without using them as an example.

6 minutes ago, briever said:

I am sure they do, but the fact they make the EPL is all about money.  Plenty of positive stories of clubs making without using them as an example.

That's England right now. Awash with money. Covers every team. 

On 30/05/2022 at 11:11, Boab said:

Yip.

Leeds were a game away from a European Cup but came up against Bayern in their prime. I remember it well.

Leeds actually were banned from Europe for four years after the riots during the game, reduced on appeal to two years.

Forest in the late 70's, early 80's were a fabulous team. Taylor and Clough the best double act in football history IMO.

Leeds we’re robbed by dodgy refereeing that night

9 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Beckenbauer ? 😂

Aye, well dodgy but still a very good Bayern team.

PortyBeach
On 30/05/2022 at 11:10, TexasAndy said:

Forest were never what you would call a sleeping giant.  Decent sized club with decent sized support probably on a par size wise with Leicester.  Brian Clough (and Peter Taylor) came in and built a team that not only won the league but won 2 European Cups in a row.  A golden 3-4 year period which exceeded all expectations.   

Good point. In some respects, a similar situation to Ferguson’s Aberdeen.

Not a “sleeping giant” in my view, but I wish them well.

Doctor FinnBarr

Anyone remember the name of the ginger lad that played with Forest in the late 80s (I think), retired early through injury? Whitburn laddie that attended Hearts games on the old Bathgate and District bus with his mum and stepdad.

Doctor FinnBarr
28 minutes ago, feej said:

Terry Wilson?

Stepdad was called Terry, not so sure about the player but we're defo on the right track here.

43 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Stepdad was called Terry, not so sure about the player but we're defo on the right track here.

I used to play against a lad called Terry Wilson when he was a tynecastle BC and I'm sure he went to Forest so thought it may be him.

Edited by feej

Hectormasson
On 31/05/2022 at 14:24, Thomaso said:

Absolute robbery !! Ref and linesman looked as though they had been bribed,  ' denied a perfectly good goal and a tackle on Allan Clarke that should have been red and a penalty kick,   amongst lots of other ridiculous decisions  bayern got that evening in 1975, were pathetic  felt so sorry for leeds then , great side , robbed......but

bremner and his side were the better side , but not allowed to  progress.

Doctor FinnBarr
2 hours ago, feej said:

I used to play against a lad called Terry Wilson when he was a tynecastle BC and I'm sure he went to Forest so thought it may be him.

Just googled it and it was him, retired in 93 at the age of 24 due to a knee injury although he seems to have played on in lower league football and Scandinavia for a further 5 years.

49 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Just googled it and it was him, retired in 93 at the age of 24 due to a knee injury although he seems to have played on in lower league football and Scandinavia for a further 5 years.

ian wallace was the reddest head i remember at forest but he had a long career.

leeds went nuts on transfers under o'leary, they were buying stupidly for no reason, fowler,keane were just not needed, when the buisness side of the club went tits up left them with a lotta debt. if that crazy period hadn't happened then leeds would be one of the top teams in the league and a big city that they have no rivals in. sleeping giants would have to be sheffield wednesday, even when they've been up they played safe financially so struggled to make any impact.

The Hogfather
On 30/05/2022 at 14:30, Hmfc1965 said:

4 or 5 years of history anyway. 

It's amazing the views people have on the relative status of clubs. 

Fulham are not absolute nobodies. 

A totally irrelevant football club until they were bought by the fella from Harrods. 

Lone Striker
18 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

A totally irrelevant football club until they were bought by the fella from Harrods. 

:tlj: A club that boasts star players  like  Johnny Haynes, Alan Mullery, George Cohen, Bobby Robson, Allan Clarke etc   =  irrelevant ? 

The Hogfather
20 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

:tlj: A club that boasts star players  like  Johnny Haynes, Alan Mullery, George Cohen, Bobby Robson, Allan Clarke etc   =  irrelevant ? 

A club that’s never won a major honour. Even wee Luton have one to their name. Tinpot. 

Lone Striker
17 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

A club that’s never won a major honour. Even wee Luton have one to their name. Tinpot. 

If  thats your definition of tinpot/irrelevant, fair enough.   Yet they regularly fare better than some  clubs who've won several major trophies.    

John Findlay
1 hour ago, The Hogfather said:

Is that right. You're another one that needs to read their football history.

Read what Jimmy Hill achieved in 1960, and what then Fulham chairman Tommy Trinder did about it. Then whilst you are googling away look up both Tommy Trinder, and Johnny Hayes. See where Johnny Hayes settled after his footballing career, and which club he grew an affinity for.

You might actually learn something.

The Hogfather
1 minute ago, Lone Striker said:

If  thats your definition of tinpot/irrelevant, fair enough.   Yet they regularly fare better than some  clubs who've won several major trophies.    

You can’t measure the relevance of a football club by how poorly others have done. Bournemouth fared better than Sheffield Wednesday last season, doesn’t make them a big club. 

The Hogfather
1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

Read what Jimmy Hill achieved in 1960, and what then Fulham chairman Tommy Trinder did about it. Then whilst you are googling away look up both Tommy Trinder, and Johnny Hayes. See where Johnny Hayes settled after his footballing career, and which club he grew an affinity for.

No thanks Grandad. If I spent my free time looking up completely irrelevant football clubs from England, I’d be almost as boring as you. 

Edited by The Hogfather

tiger Rudi
On 31/05/2022 at 09:19, periodictabledancer said:

This is a complete myth - they never played "great football" although there's no denying they were good at what they did. Aside from seeing a lot of them on TV I did once see them play at Brighton and it was dire. Dreary counter attacking football was their MO. They really were awful to watch. And this was in the top division in the year they won the European Cup. 

As I remember, the Cup final against Hamburg was as one sided a match you can get. Robertson scored the only goal early on, then it was backs to the wall stuff till the end. Shilton & that hard man Burns shut out Keegan & Co. Think Forest were slagged off at the time for their less than expansive tactics. Got to hand it to Clough though, man was a genius at getting the best out of the players he had. They travelled with the bare bones of a squad too. 

Edited by tiger Rudi

John Findlay
1 hour ago, The Hogfather said:

No thanks Grandad. If I spent my free time looking up completely irrelevant football clubs from England, I’d be almost as boring as you. 

I wish I had your scathing wit.

Placid Casual
2 hours ago, The Hogfather said:

Yet here you are.

Percival King
4 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I've got a recollection of Johnny Haynes being presented to the crowd at Tynecastle back in the 80s. I'm too young to remember him as a player but he's certainly a revered name. 

15 hours ago, tiger Rudi said:

As I remember, the Cup final against Hamburg was as one sided a match you can get. Robertson scored the only goal early on, then it was backs to the wall stuff till the end. Shilton & that hard man Burns shut out Keegan & Co. Think Forest were slagged off at the time for their less than expansive tactics. Got to hand it to Clough though, man was a genius at getting the best out of the players he had. They travelled with the bare bones of a squad too. 

I thought Forrest played some fantastic football, great strikers in Woodcock and Birtles, clever talented midfielders and the peerless Robertson.  Great to watch on their day.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/06/2022 at 16:50, The Hogfather said:

No football club is irrelevant. The fans’ emotional investment in their local clubs ensures that.

Of course, your idea of football might simply revolve around seeing things in terms of goodies and baddies.

Oh, and the “grandad” comment…dearie me. 😞

Tommy Brown
On 02/06/2022 at 08:19, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I thought you were on about Brian Rice at first. A Whitburn ginger who was also at Forest.

The Hogfather
17 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

No football club is irrelevant. The fans’ emotional investment in their local clubs ensures that.

Of course, your idea of football might simply revolve around seeing things in terms of goodies and baddies.

Oh, and the “grandad” comment…dearie me. 😞

Every football club outside EH11 is irrelevant. Hope this helps. 

39 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

Every football club outside EH11 is irrelevant. Hope this helps. 

I’m not sure what age you are, but your dealings with people are certainly juvenile.

Might I suggest you tone down the clever-dick remarks. It really isn’t a good look. Play nice.

King of the North
On 02/06/2022 at 21:23, Percival King said:

I've got a recollection of Johnny Haynes being presented to the crowd at Tynecastle back in the 80s. I'm too young to remember him as a player but he's certainly a revered name. 

Johnny Haynes moved to Edinburgh when he finished playing and lived out his days watching the JTs. I believe he lived in Gorgie/Dalry, and was a regular at our games. 

Peakybunnet
On 14/06/2022 at 22:43, Tommy Brown said:

I thought you were on about Brian Rice at first. A Whitburn ginger who was also at Forest.

I thought the same. Sure he played for Forest at Tynecastle when we were whipped 3-0. Forest were past the glory years by then but played some beautiful passing football 

Doctor FinnBarr
On 14/06/2022 at 22:43, Tommy Brown said:

Ryan Mince? Complete and utter tosser whenever I seen him about Bathgate.

Tommy Brown
9 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Ryan Mince? Complete and utter tosser whenever I seen him about Bathgate.

I remember back late 80s, early 90s that he was in the Double 5 in Whitburn with Stuart Pearce.

There was speculation the Rangers were after Pearce. 

A blue nosed pal of a pal had asked him how things were going.

Pearce had replied it was all down to the money on offer.

To be replied "If it's only down to money, we don't ****ing want you, GTF" :lol:

Victor Meldrew
On 15/06/2022 at 17:11, King of the North said:

Johnny Haynes moved to Edinburgh when he finished playing and lived out his days watching the JTs. I believe he lived in Gorgie/Dalry, and was a regular at our games. 

I think he had a flat on Lothian Road. He was a regular in the Executive Club at Tynecastle in the 1980s. Great guy.

The Hogfather
On 15/06/2022 at 16:53, PortyBeach said:

I’m not sure what age you are, but your dealings with people are certainly juvenile.

Might I suggest you tone down the clever-dick remarks. It really isn’t a good look. Play nice.

If "clever dick" replies go against your sensibilities, the internet is not the place for you.

3 hours ago, The Hogfather said:

If "clever dick" replies go against your sensibilities, the internet is not the place for you.

I actually respect and enjoy wit.

What “clever dick” means in your case is something different. 

The Hogfather
53 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

I actually respect and enjoy wit.

What “clever dick” means in your case is something different. 

Oooh zing. You'll be asked to appear on "Have I Got News For You" any day now.

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
On 02/06/2022 at 18:03, John Findlay said:

I wish I had your scathing wit.

I wouldn't bother with that poster tbh. Folk who don't respect their history are doomed for their future not to respect them. 

• 2 weeks later...

With no Djed Spence, the 1st choice goalkeeper Brice Samba and maybe Brennan Johnson offski I can’t see them staying up.

Edited by The Spy Who Loved Me

1 minute ago, The Spy Who Loved Me said:

With no Djed Spence, the 1st choice goalkeeper Brice Samba and maybe Brennan Johnson offski I can’t see them staying up.

they have signed dean henderson from man u so are fine for a goalkeeper

16 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

they have signed dean henderson from man u so are fine for a goalkeeper

I hope they will stay up, good luck to them.