Nottingham Forest

tartofmidlothian

tartofmidlothian

Seeing lots of people really happy they've been promoted. Is it just people who have seen The Damned United or are they a widely loved sleeping giant?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Boab

• The Hogfather

• John Findlay

• briever

4 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Seeing lots of people really happy they've been promoted. Is it just people who have seen The Damned United or are they a widely loved sleeping giant?

It's good to have them back at the top level. 

A decent sized club who's fans have stuck with them through thick and thin. 

Hopefully Sunderland join them in the top flight soon. 

These fans deserve top flight football for their loyalty. 

19 hours ago, luckydug said:

19 minutes ago, luckydug said:

It's good to have them back at the top level. 

A decent sized club who's fans have stuck with them through thick and thin. 

Hopefully Sunderland join them in the top flight soon. 

These fans deserve top flight football for their loyalty. 

Nope not Sunderland, hope they stay down for many more years SMB 

PhoenixHearts

I just like the comeback stories tbh. 

All I'd heard for years is how Leeds are a big club, fallen giant, Leeds used to be this or that, will this be Leeds year to finally go back up, they've been gone too long, Amazon Documentary etc.

Well Forest are just as big a club if not bigger and had been down half a decade longer than Leeds but I don't remember even hearing half as much fuss about how we need them back in the top flight and how they're a fallen giant and so on.

I think the Premier League is all the better for having big teams like Forest and Leeds back. Sort of balances out the tinpot clubs like Bournemouth who can't sell out a 10000 seater stadium. No place for that in the "best league in the world".

I've no dog in the fight (soft spot for Palace) but I do hope both Forest and Leeds can consolidate their place in the Prem.

I would imagine it’s a 40+ generation thing. Scots in their team, European cups, Clough, Trevor Francis etc. Very much like Leeds in they’re a team many grew up with being a great side and feel they belong at the top level. 

ColinSmith1255
13 minutes ago, Toonhertz said:

👍

8 minutes ago, Toonhertz said:

Going by your username I can see why you say that. 😏

I like to see all the NE clubs doing well. 

Sunderland and Newcastle have remarkable supports considering how starved of success they have both been. 

Times may be about to improve for Newcastle though. 

Forest were never what you would call a sleeping giant.  Decent sized club with decent sized support probably on a par size wise with Leicester.  Brian Clough (and Peter Taylor) came in and built a team that not only won the league but won 2 European Cups in a row.  A golden 3-4 year period which exceeded all expectations.   

2 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I would imagine it’s a 40+ generation thing. Scots in their team, European cups, Clough, Trevor Francis etc. Very much like Leeds in they’re a team many grew up with being a great side and feel they belong at the top level. 

Yip.

Leeds were a game away from a European Cup but came up against Bayern in their prime. I remember it well.

Leeds actually were banned from Europe for four years after the riots during the game, reduced on appeal to two years.

Forest in the late 70's, early 80's were a fabulous team. Taylor and Clough the best double act in football history IMO.

The Gorgie

I think it's just good to see a different team in the premier league than the usual fulham, watford, Norwich that seem to switch about with each other every season.

Edited by Sir Craig Gordon

tartofmidlothian
9 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Forest were never what you would call a sleeping giant.  Decent sized club with decent sized support probably on a par size wise with Leicester.  Brian Clough (and Peter Taylor) came in and built a team that not only won the league but won 2 European Cups in a row.  A golden 3-4 year period which exceeded all expectations.   

When you add in that incredible success, plus the later League Cups and up-table finishes they had, they've very much been asleep for 23 years. Still with a big and loyal support though, as you say.

Carl Fredrickson

Loved seeing Forest on the TV when I was younger. Probably due to Clough. Despite having some hard men in defence and midfield they played good football. Clough was incredible entertainment. 

No feelings for Forest now other than watch out for their results as a couple of pals have family there.

Nookie Bear

Forest are a bit Aberdeen-y

Golden period under a mercurial manager but nothing before or since. 
They will do well to finish 17th next season and then see what happens s. 

Sorry to be a pedant, but The Damned United was nothing to do with Forest. :) 

Been wanting to see Forest back in the PL for years myself. Always found it a bit of travesty that teams like them and Leeds dwindled in the lower leagues for a long time while clubs like Wigan and Bournemouth came up.

As happy as I am though, their owner is a ****.

Smoked-Glass
1 hour ago, Toonhertz said:

Newcastle to be relegated again too

6 minutes ago, Locky said:

Been wanting to see Forest back in the PL for years myself. Always found it a bit of travesty that teams like them and Leeds dwindled in the lower leagues for a long time while clubs like Wigan and Bournemouth came up.

Don't think it was a travesty. Like the term up here “ hibsing it “, the English have one called “ doing a Leeds “, more or less, making a pig's ear of trying to attain success by going heavily into debt. Leeds suffered at their own hand. 

Nothing to do with Forest of course. 

Nookie's analogy with the sheep is pretty close.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Be pretty unhappy people when they go straight back down I reckon, poor set of play offs, only Fulham have a chance out of the 3 promoted

John Findlay

They are not one of the giants of English football in terms of the size of the club they are. There was a time when they weren't even the biggest club in Nottingham.

Of course that all changed when Brian Clough and Peter Taylor rolled up in the mid to late 1970s, and took them from an average mid English 2nd division team, to English league champions, twice On the trot European Cup Winners, and twice English League Cup Winners, and beaten FA Cup finalists in 1991. Oddly enough that FA Cup of 1991 was Terry Venables only major trophy in all his time managing in England, and he got the England manager's gig, even more oddly Brian Clough never got the England manager's gig. 

59 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Loved seeing Forest on the TV when I was younger. Probably due to Clough. Despite having some hard men in defence and midfield they played good football. Clough was incredible entertainment. 

No feelings for Forest now other than watch out for their results as a couple of pals have family there.

Good few decent Scotsmen in their team back then such as Robertson, McGovern and O'Hare etc.

14 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Good few decent Scotsmen in their team back then such as Robertson, McGovern and O'Hare etc.

Gemmell !

John Findlay
41 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

A real hardman in Kenny Burns.

Victor Meldrew

Their achievement in winning back to back European Cups was amazing. They played great football and Cloughie was a legend.

Nice to see a club that has won as many European Cups as Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and Man City back in the top division.

Much rather have them there than crappy teams like Bournemouth or Huddersfield.

The Hogfather

A good counter to having absolute nobodies like Fulham or Bournemouth in there. A club with a history.

5 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

A good counter to having absolute nobodies like Fulham or Bournemouth in there. A club with a history.

4 or 5 years of history anyway. 

It's amazing the views people have on the relative status of clubs. 

Fulham are not absolute nobodies. 

John Findlay
9 minutes ago, Victor Meldrew said:

Their achievement in winning back to back European Cups was amazing. They played great football and Cloughie was a legend.

Nice to see a club that has won as many European Cups as Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and Man City back in the top division.

I humbly suggest you read the history of Huddersfield Town.

13 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

A real hardman in Kenny Burns.

Thanks for that I couldn't remember his name when I wrote my previous post.

Reminds me of these stories about Brian Clough. A little of NWS language but definitely worth listening to.

3 hours ago, Toonhertz said:

You get cheesy chips for a quid, Sunderland's a massive club (are they **** 😆).

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

I humbly suggest you read the history of Huddersfield Town.

Yea, I don't like chat about teams being “ crappy “, very modern football fan nonsense. Huddersfield have a history, like any team. Still level with bigger teams, having won the top league three years on the bounce. Yet to be surpassed.

Fulham are the oldest professional team in London also.

If someone had a go at Hearts' history I'm sure it would be jumped on

John Findlay
1 minute ago, Boab said:

Yea, I don't like chat about teams being “ crappy “, very modern football fan nonsense. Huddersfield have a history, like any team. Still level with bigger teams, having won the top league three years on the bounce. Yet to be surpassed.

If someone had a go at Hearts' history I'm sure it would be jumped on

It's what I call the Sky generation.

Who firmly believe football, especially English football started in 1992.

When you are old enough to remember WBA winning the FA Cup and Man Utd, and Spurs getting relegated from the top league. Derby County winning the top league twice in the 70s, once under Brian Clough, and once under Dave MacKay. Aberdeen winning the Scottish Cup in 1970, and Partick Thistle the League Cup in 1971, both beating Jock Stein Celtic teams that were in the middle of being the first team to achieve nine league titles in a row.

Celtic who had lost the European Cup final in 1970 to Feyenoord AET. So where some team.

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

When you are old enough to remember WBA winning the FA Cup and Man Utd, and Spurs getting relegated from the top league. Derby County winning the top league twice in the 70s, once under Brian Clough, and once under Dave MacKay. Aberdeen winning the Scottish Cup in 1970, and Partick Thistle the League Cup in 1971, both beating Jock Stein Celtic teams that were in the middle of being the first team to achieve nine league titles in a row.

Celtic who had lost the European Cup final in 1970 to Feyenoord AET. So where some team.

Yip. Spot on, John.

Even look at the 60's. Dundee, Killie and Dunfermline all making the Semis of Euro tournaments. 

25 minutes ago, Boab said:

Yip. Spot on, John.

Even look at the 60's. Dundee, Killie and Dunfermline all making the Semis of Euro tournaments. 

When I started watching football Liverpool were a second division team. 

Historicaly Everton were the big team in the city. 

Dundee Utd were a lower tier team until 1960.

6 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Amazing that John McGovern never got a single senior cap. 

Placid Casual
5 hours ago, Hmfc1965 said:

4 or 5 years of history anyway. 

It's amazing the views people have on the relative status of clubs. 

Fulham are not absolute nobodies. 

Yes, a lot of people on here just don’t know their football.

heatonjambo
8 hours ago, Toonhertz said:

Assume you live in Newcastle 

Unknown user
3 hours ago, Boab said:

Yet only the second biggest team in Fulham

Angel eyes

Winning the European Cup once was an achievement for a provincial club but twice that really was something else and it seems to me anyway it’s like, yeah we won the European cup…..so what’s the big deal🤷‍♂️

Peakybunnet
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Amazing that John McGovern never got a single senior cap. 

Comes up to the hotel where I work a couple of times a year. An absolute gentleman who has time for everybody. 

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Yet only the second biggest team in Fulham

Well they would have been before Chelsea came into being !

8 minutes ago, Boab said:

Well they would have been before Chelsea came into being !

If I remember correctly Stamford Bridge was bought by businessmen and offered it to Fulham but they didn’t want it so the company started Chelsea so the ground would get used. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

If I remember correctly Stamford Bridge was bought by businessmen and offered it to Fulham but they didn’t want it so the company started Chelsea so the ground would get used. 

That's right  

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Similar to Liverpool, they were only formed after Everton left Anfield so there'd be a team to play there

Percival King
5 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Spot on. I’ve just had a look at the top 4 English divisions and was amazed I can remember 54 of the teams being in the top division (and I think I only missed Carlisle by a year or two). English football never has to wait too long for another unfancied team (like Bournemouth, Swindon, Bradford or Oldham) to get into the top division and I think English football is richer and more authentic for it.

tartofmidlothian
18 hours ago, Locky said:

Not even the triumphant finale where Clough finds redemption after Leeds by managing them to glory?

2 hours ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Not even the triumphant finale where Clough finds redemption after Leeds by managing them to glory?

Can't imagine that was enough to make anyone claim Forest as their English team. Derby maybe.

john thomas
17 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Youngish rangers fan , pre Europa final , was talking about how they were the last Scottish team to win a European trophy

periodictabledancer
19 hours ago, Victor Meldrew said:

This is a complete myth - they never played "great football" although there's no denying they were good at what they did. Aside from seeing a lot of them on TV I did once see them play at Brighton and it was dire. Dreary counter attacking football was their MO. They really were awful to watch. And this was in the top division in the year they won the European Cup. 

23 hours ago, tartofmidlothian said:

I Believe In Miracles is a much better film about them.