The Bay City Rollers

Morgan

It’s been such a sad 24 hours.

That horrendous massacre in America coupled with the death of ‘Fletch’ from Depeche Mode.  :sad: 

In a stupid attempt to lighten the mood a wee bit, what did we think of the BCR’s?

Were they as shite as I thought they were?

Your thoughts chaps?

The Dragon Reborn

Stuart Wood’s sister once famously said “it’s better to run with scissors than scissor with the runs” 👍🏻

I P Knightley

As one of the early boy bands, they contrast favourably with most that have come through in the last 30 years. Could actually play their instruments to start with. The songs were well written and produced for their genre. 

On the flip side, they weren't that bonny (didn't stop them getting their hole) and Les McKeown killed an old granny on Western Terrace. 

John Findlay

I was at school and in the same class for 5 years(1 year primary, and 4 years secondary), with Stuart Woods younger brother.

Got this in the cupboard if you want it, Morgan. Got a lovely fold out poster. Apparently it was my uncle's but he was too worried his mates would discover his love for the BCRs that he gave it to my mother. 😁

images.jpeg.jpg

Doctor FinnBarr
29 minutes ago, Cobblers said:

I hated them in the 70’s but like many bands they seem ok now I’m old. 😂😂

Same Cobbs, Summerlove Sensation is a classic though, so I'm told.

Saw them early 70s in a pub. At least they weren't miming.

They were fleeced by their (convicted), paedophile manager. Sold millions of records.

Harry Potter
7 hours ago, Morgan said:

It’s been such a sad 24 hours.

That horrendous massacre in America coupled with the death of ‘Fletch’ from Depeche Mode.  :sad: 

In a stupid attempt to lighten the mood a wee bit, what did we think of the BCR’s?

Were they as shite as I thought they were?

Your thoughts chaps?

Always played my rollin LP prior to hearts games about 1974. 

Doctor FinnBarr
5 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Always played my rollin LP prior to hearts games about 1974. 

Showing yer age now fat boy.

Seymour M Hersh

For me they were rubbish then and their music is still rubbish now.  They couldn't hold a light to the likes of Marc Bolan/TRex, Mott the Hoople, Slade or even Sweet.

15 minutes ago, Boab said:

6C2437C5-AFE2-42E4-938D-1BCDC9DBA632.jpeg

Haul, Heid, Troosers. 

heid-move-heid.gif

:rofl:

Edited by ri Alban

6 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Good music when the party is starting to ramp up !! 

I think you've summed them up perfectly there James. I'm usually a rock and metal man, but as you say, nothing gets a drunken party bouncing quite like shang a lang.

I love the clip on you tube of the hearts end singing it at the 2012  up final.

Edited by superjack

I remember on Rip It Up(Scottish music documentary) they were hailed as making tartan “cool” after years of other artists using it to simply make people know they were a Scottish artist. 

Discuss….. ::troll:: 

SectionDJambo

I have to say that I never had much time for them in the 70s, but I was singing along to Shangalang, like the rest of us, after the famous cup win in 2012. When I hear it now, it brings back great memories.

JudyJudyJudy
5 hours ago, superjack said:

I think you've summed them up perfectly there James. I'm usually a rock and metal man, but as you say, nothing gets a drunken party bouncing quite like shang a lang.

I love the clip on you tube of the hearts end singing it at the 2012  up final.

Yes they certainly do. So do Abba and the Village People. 

Auld Reekin'
14 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

As one of the early boy bands, they contrast favourably with most that have come through in the last 30 years. Could actually play their instruments to start with. The songs were well written and produced for their genre. 

On the flip side, they weren't that bonny (didn't stop them getting their hole) and Les McKeown killed an old granny on Western Terrace. 

That's a bit like saying Lassa Fever contrasts favourably with the Ebola Virus...  :ermm: :whistling: ;)

I P Knightley
2 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

That's a bit like saying Lassa Fever contrasts favourably with the Ebola Virus...  :ermm: :whistling: ;)

You make a good point.

2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

And black lace!

Sorry, too far.

20 hours ago, The Dragon Reborn said:

Stuart Wood’s sister once famously said “it’s better to run with scissors than scissor with the runs” 👍🏻

I'm very distantly related to him on my mother's side. Can't recall exactly, but i'm sure he's her second cousin (although I might be making that last bit up).

28 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Bye bye babe you know you would ahhh 

:wtfvlad:

the general

Went to school with most of them and they were prices

But when I worked at BT I swapped some if their phone numbers for sexual favours so that was good

Bilbo Baggins were the edgy band.

But then a few years ago went to see them at Usher Hall and they were brilliant.

Did the Ramones not name check them?

been here before
13 hours ago, the general said:

Tommy Ramone heard Saturday Night by The Bay City Rollers and like the chanty into bit. He fancied doing something similar for the Ramones and came up with the "Hey, ho, lets go" Blitzkrieg Bop.

Edited by been here before

Bonnie Prince Charlie
16 hours ago, the general said:

Went to school with most of them and they were prices

But when I worked at BT I swapped some if their phone numbers for sexual favours so that was good

Bilbo Baggins were the edgy band.

But then a few years ago went to see them at Usher Hall and they were brilliant.

Bilbo Baggins were good but never quite made it despite having the same whole manager. Colin Chisholm is a good jambo, met him at Edinburgh College a few years ago where he works.

2 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

One of their songs 

Bye bye baby.

Greedy Jambo

Struggling to see the link with the bay city rollers, the school shooting and the guy from depeche mode. 

Enlighten me. 

Doctor FinnBarr
On 27/05/2022 at 12:34, JamesM48 said:

I attended a motorcycle rally in a marquee near Linlithgow in the mid 90s. Organising club had brought up one of the bigger name (on the biker scene at least) tribute bands from England, AB/CD. Maybe they were on too early but no one seemed too interested in them and they left the stage to no more than polite clapping. On came the rock disco, first song was Dancing Queen, cue 200/300 on the dance floor strutting their funky stuff!

:fonzie:

scott herbertson

Millennium new year they played live at the gardens s -was pretty good

Going back a lot further I had a fight with Pat Mcglyn's older brother (Danny) at Duddingston primary school aged 6. I hit him and the teacher pulled us apart just before he could beat me up - my only successful school fight! I see he died at the age of 39 in 1996 which is a sobering thought..

J.T.F.Robertson
13 hours ago, Bonnie Prince Charlie said:

Bilbo Baggins were good but never quite made it despite having the same whole manager. Colin Chisholm is a good jambo, met him at Edinburgh College a few years ago where he works.

Remember meeting him in Luckies a few years ago when I was back,. Decent guy.

JudyJudyJudy
11 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I attended a motorcycle rally in a marquee near Linlithgow in the mid 90s. Organising club had brought up one of the bigger name (on the biker scene at least) tribute bands from England, AB/CD. Maybe they were on too early but no one seemed too interested in them and they left the stage to no more than polite clapping. On came the rock disco, first song was Dancing Queen, cue 200/300 on the dance floor strutting their funky stuff!

:fonzie:

:)