Aiden McGeady (NHC Obviously)

Locky

Not hard to detect the theme of this interview. McGeady basically claiming that he only got abuse from so many fans in Scotland because he played for Celtic and Ireland, more or less claiming it was entirely sectarian.

Now, I'm sure none of us are naive enough to think that there was no sectarianism involved at all. I'm sure he got a rake of abuse from Rangers fans, our own, and possibly some others. But quite the claim to accuse all clubs of it. He even names Hibs in that interview. As in, the Irish founded Catholic football club Hibs.

He then makes a case for other players who chose other nations, namely Scott Arfield and Brian McLean. Arfield was 28 before he played for Canada, and I assume only chose them because he knew he may never get a cap for Scotland. McLean chose NI at 21, a questionable choice also. But then again, he was pish. He only got one cap for them and would never have been Scotland quality.

I was a teenager when McGeady publicly confirmed his allegiances, but I do recall it being a huge talking point and as far as I'm aware, it was only controversial because he was a player who was very highly rated and could've been a Scotland great. 

There's also a comment at the end of the video which irked me. 'There's not many proper Scotland fans in Glasgow because they all support Ireland and England eh?', says McGeady with a smirk on his face. A comment met with background laughter. We all know that's the case, but to have it spoken about so candidly is everything wrong with Scottish football.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Absolute Scenes

• Locky

• dannymack

been here before

I heard pretty much all of the interview with him earlier, of which there was far more than wahat is quoted above, and thought he came over quite well. Surprisingly Strachan sounds like a dick.

Edited by been here before

heatonjambo

It’s a Glasgow problem that has become wrongly and unnecessarily Scotlands problem

Absolutely no doubt he got sectarian abuse - but there were far more people who were pissed off at a player who turned his back on his country.

Turns out he was a bit shit anyway so wasn't a massive loss.

9 minutes ago, heatonjambo said:

It’s a Glasgow problem that has become wrongly and unnecessarily Scotlands problem

Absolutely.

1 minute ago, Jonkel Hoon said:

He says he's not bothered but his eyes tell a differ story

Did he honestly think that seeing a young, promising player rejecting our national side was going to be welcomed? Might have got him onside with some Celtic dafties, but **** that guy.

Besides, it's a back-handed compliment as if he was shite, we would not have cared. He needs to grow up and own his decision.  

jamtartan74

He did get pelters and no doubt sectarian abuse but as others have said it was because he was a good player who turned Scotland down same with James Mcarthy had he stayed in Scotland. 

2 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Diving greetin faced knob.

Glad he didn't play for Scotland

It turned out he was nowhere near as good as people thought he would be - when that became apparent folk barely noticed.

Turned his back on a nation that wanted him. What did he expect? Sure, by virtue of being an OF player it was inflamed more, but he turned his back on his country, it was a shitty thing to do and he was rightly criticised for it. 

Smoked-Glass

I got no problem if he wants to play for the country of his choice.

I'd do the same if I had dual possiblites.  

Non issue.  Dunno why chick dung was trying to beg him to play for the jocks.

Bazzas right boot

Breaking news.... 

Bigotory and sectarianism is a problem in Scotland. 

Who'd have thought it. 

Thankfully it has now been brought to our attention and we can be pro active and take steps to eradicate it. 

Without guys like him bringing it to the forefront no one would have noticed it. 

Thought interviewer could have explained that players he quotes were rejected by Scotland, and took up with other countries after that. McGeady chose to reject Scotland.  Same with The boy at Hamilton.  

Bob Loblaw

Not every fan that gave him abuse would have been for sectarian reasons, even the majority I'd assume. But there were definitely plenty who did, so why's he wrong to say it? Is he meant to just take bigoted abuse because we don't like him or the club/country he played for?

If he ignores it and pretends it never happened does that not just help sectarianism continue if it goes unchecked?

I hated him as a player, and as a big Scotland fan I gave him it tight as I can't see why you'd not want to play for your country. However, he quite clearly got it tight from a section of fans throughout Scotland for the wrong reasons.

He rates Tynecastle Park and the Hearts fans as the worst opposition ground he's visited for abuse.

Magazine/newspaper interview I'm sure it was in.

Its so easy for the victims (fans) to instantly relate and place the abuse with sectarianism. 

They (fans) really need to understand they are the ones stirring the sectarian pot. 

**** celtic 

WheatfieldWarrior

Fecking no mark.

Honestly can't remember him kicking a ball.

Not sure why he thinks anyone cares. Outside of Celtic, I'm sure they don't.

I'm sure the BBC will snap him right up.

Lone Striker
7 minutes ago, dannymack said:

He rates Tynecastle Park and the Hearts fans as the worst opposition ground he's visited for abuse.

Its so easy for the victims (fans) to instantly relate and place the abuse with sectarianism. 

They (fans) really need to understand they are the ones stirring the sectarian pot. 

**** celtic 

Yep.  I couldn't care less if he chose to play for RoI.   For  some reason our totally impartial referees decided the wee greetin-faced diver needed extra protection from anyone trying to tackle him and our totally impartial football media agreed.     Sectarianism wasn't needed as a reason for non-OF fans to dislike him.

On 23/05/2022 at 05:18, heatonjambo said:

It's a Scottish problem....!

Declan Rice would be a better comparison than Scott Arfield. And the Irish fans ****ing hate Rice.

john thomas
10 hours ago, LochcarronJambo said:

An absolute piece of s**t, may he rot in hell

Tad strong ?

If you wanted to play his game, you could - if you gave a slender feck - argue that his decision to play for Ireland was just a sectarian gesture to appeal to the lowest common denominator of his club's support. 

Spellczech

Don't agree with your last paragraph. I think it's good that pro footballer calls this out...

I heard most of the interview and he was very candid, which was quite refreshing. Acknowledged his own mistakes and wasn't shy about criticising others or naming people he doesn't like. Ray Houghton I think did the same international choice and would've also got pelters for it if his club football was up here. Trying to think of any player who has picked England over Scotland - they'd get the same treatment. It was a backhanded compliment on how good he was and also a reflection of how bad Scotland were at that time...

11 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Not every fan that gave him abuse would have been for sectarian reasons, even the majority I'd assume. But there were definitely plenty who did, so why's he wrong to say it? Is he meant to just take bigoted abuse because we don't like him or the club/country he played for?

If he ignores it and pretends it never happened does that not just help sectarianism continue if it goes unchecked?

I hated him as a player, and as a big Scotland fan I gave him it tight as I can't see why you'd not want to play for your country. However, he quite clearly got it tight from a section of fans throughout Scotland for the wrong reasons.

Nobody is saying he's wrong to point out any sectarian abuse nor is anyone brushing it under the carpet like it didn't happen. I even said in my OP that I've no doubt at all that it happened, probably by many of our own fans sadly.

But, the theme of that clip is him basically saying that it was all sectarian fuelled which is complete bullshit. As I also mention in my OP, he names Hibs in that. So many holes in his argument. 

2 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Don't agree with your last paragraph. I think it's good that pro footballer calls this out...

I heard most of the interview and he was very candid, which was quite refreshing. Acknowledged his own mistakes and wasn't shy about criticising others or naming people he doesn't like. Ray Houghton I think did the same international choice and would've also got pelters for it if his club football was up here. Trying to think of any player who has picked England over Scotland - they'd get the same treatment. It was a backhanded compliment on how good he was and also a reflection of how bad Scotland were at that time...

It's not wrong what he says, but the smirk on his face as he says it and the laughter in the background suggests that we all know that's a fact and it's okay. It's things like that which will constantly fuel sectarianism particularly in the west.

Gimme an H...
15 hours ago, been here before said:

I heard pretty much all of the interview with him earlier, of which there was far more than wahat is quoted above, and thought he came over quite well. Surprisingly Strachan sounds like a dick.

I'm surprised that you're surprised by this...

Strachan is a weapons grade dickhead.

Talk Sport like to make out that Celtic and Rangers players are the victims of a sectarian country but never address the fact that it is actually these two clubs who have kept sectarianism going and promoted it for the good of their own finances

15 hours ago, Locky said:

Not hard to detect the theme of this interview. McGeady basically claiming that he only got abuse from so many fans in Scotland because he played for Celtic and Ireland, more or less claiming it was entirely sectarian.

Now, I'm sure none of us are naive enough to think that there was no sectarianism involved at all. I'm sure he got a rake of abuse from Rangers fans, our own, and possibly some others. But quite the claim to accuse all clubs of it. He even names Hibs in that interview. As in, the Irish founded Catholic football club Hibs.

He then makes a case for other players who chose other nations, namely Scott Arfield and Brian McLean. Arfield was 28 before he played for Canada, and I assume only chose them because he knew he may never get a cap for Scotland. McLean chose NI at 21, a questionable choice also. But then again, he was pish. He only got one cap for them and would never have been Scotland quality.

I was a teenager when McGeady publicly confirmed his allegiances, but I do recall it being a huge talking point and as far as I'm aware, it was only controversial because he was a player who was very highly rated and could've been a Scotland great. 

There's also a comment at the end of the video which irked me. 'There's not many proper Scotland fans in Glasgow because they all support Ireland and England eh?', says McGeady with a smirk on his face. A comment met with background laughter. We all know that's the case, but to have it spoken about so candidly is everything wrong with Scottish football.

The reason I disliked him had nothing to do with sectarianism - I couldn’t give a damn about his religion. It was because I’m a Scotland fan, and a highly rated player for one of Scotland’s largest teams didn’t just turn his back on his country, he made a big deal out of doing so, in the full knowledge that it would make him an instant legend in the eyes of a certain section of the Celtic support. He deliberately played up to Celtic’s plastic Irishness. This attempt to pretend that, obviously, this was all about sectarianism, is all part of the same narrative.

He shouldn’t compare himself to 

Arfield, but to James McCarthy. Another highly rated Scottish player who declared for Ireland, but got none of the abuse. Why? Because he didn’t deliberately rub Scotland fans’ noses in it. He just quietly made his decision and didn’t talk about it.

EDIT: sorry, was also going to say that this was another example of Celtic basically headhunting their young players for Ireland by refusing to let them play for their school teams (a prerequisite for Scotland Schoolboys) and passing their details along to Packie Bonner instead.

Edited by Doc Rob

Bungalow Bill

Person with Irish heritage decides to play for Ireland, I honestly have no issue with this whatsoever.

I have second generation Australian cousins who would choose Scotland over Australia in a heartbeat.

Edited by Apache Mal

Nelly Terraces

Seem to remember him getting dogs abuse when Ceptic played Aberdeen not long after is decision to play for Ireland. Don't think the AFC support have ever been known for their sectarianism. 

The geezer made his decision based on which club he played for. Pretty naive to think he wasn't going to get it tight due to that. 

16 hours ago, been here before said:

Not seen the interview yet, but not sure why it is surprising that Strachan sounds like a dick.  I have always thought that.  

been here before
2 hours ago, JDK2020 said:

If you wanted to play his game, you could - if you gave a slender feck - argue that his decision to play for Ireland was just a sectarian gesture to appeal to the lowest common denominator of his club's support. 

Even though he took that decision as a 14 yo?

McGlynn The Money
On 22/05/2022 at 20:16, kingantti1874 said:

. Bigot. Judas. *****

Kind of proving his point.

On 22/05/2022 at 23:11, Bazzas right boot said:

Breaking news.... 

Bigotory and sectarianism is a problem in Scotland. 

Who'd have thought it. 

Thankfully it has now been brought to our attention and we can be pro active and take steps to eradicate it. 

Without guys like him bringing it to the forefront no one would have noticed it. 

What an idiotic remark. You could say the same about racism, sexism and homophobia. Just because we're aware of these things doesn't mean we should stop talking about them or doing more to stop them.

I’ve no objection to him talking about abuse and questioning and condemning the nature of it. What I do object to is NOT ONCE during his time at Celtic or during this interview did he condemn or even remark upon the sectarianism of Celtic fans and their rabid support of the IRA, more especially during the time he was there. He couldn’t have failed to be aware of it. One side feed and inflame the other here. That’s a big part of the reason it’s still going on.

Edited by JimmyCant

6 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I’ve no objection to him talking about abuse and questioning and condemning the nature of it. What I do object to is NOT ONCE during his time at Celtic or during this interview did he condemn or even remark upon the sectarianism of Celtic fans and their rabid support of the IRA, more especially during the time he was there. He couldn’t have failed to be aware of it. One side feed and inflame the other here. That’s a big part of the reason it’s still going on.

👏

On 22/05/2022 at 23:34, dannymack said:

**** celtic 

Absolutely typical of Celtic players, danny.

A few hundred Hearts fans=Tynecastle, a cesspit of sectarianism; 50/60k Rangers/Celtic fans (okay, maybe not all of them) yet not a word of condemnation.

15 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Absolutely spot on.

There's also the fact that he's quite obviously a total welt.  That actually does make a difference. James McCarthy got abuse but less of it and mostly because he simply seemed like less of a tool (caveat being he didn't play for Celtic and went down south earlier).  McGeady was a diving, cheating, moaning prick of a player, who epitomised the victim mentalilty in almost every interview he ever gave, while like you say never once acknowledging his own club's hatred.

He once named Tynecastle as the most hate-filled or sectarian ground in Scotland or words to that effect.  Not Ibrox, Aiden?  Not Celtic Park?  No? No acknowledgement that these games you played at Tynie where everyone was so mean to you, there were 4000 Celtic fans singing sectarian songs whilst raiding food kiosks, assaulting ball boys and turning Gorgie streets in to buckie-fuelled jungles you couldn't even walk your kids along?  That didn't add to that atmosphere, no?

These guys are almost trained on keeping the OF beast rolling on.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, McGlynn The Money said:

Kind of proving his point.

What an idiotic remark. You could say the same about racism, sexism and homophobia. Just because we're aware of these things doesn't mean we should stop talking about them or doing more to stop them.

That wasn't my point. 

Not at all.