An alternative take......unexpected +++ feelings for Robbie

Luckies1874

Luckies1874

Full disclosure: I've never been a massive Robbie Neilson fan, as a player or as our manager. Over the years I've regularly questioned why; he's been in the side, why we didn't find and sign better, why numerous managers continued to pick him, once a coach why he appeared extremely risk averse, cautious, defensive even and I had (still have) a chip on my shoulder about is influence on Hibs winning the Cup in 2016. So I'm a sceptic, a naysayer and someone he has needed to get back on his side and support his Hearts teams.

Which brings me to today, I'm genuinely stunned at the reaction of a significant % of Hearts fans to our approach, our performance and the end result. I hope that the comments and the attitudes are some what influenced by disappointment and drink but I am genuinely surprised by the animosity and rhetoric. For me, a confirmed Neilson doubter, today is actually a day to give him some support and praise. Sorry for this thought and notion but I think he squeezed every ounce out of a very limited Hearts side today and kept us in a game against a talented Rangers team, who correct me if I'm wrong have this season beaten Dortmund, Leipzig, Braga and indeed Celtic in knock out ties. What the hell were people anticipating today????????????? Go at that them and get crucified?

I'm reading that tactics were wrong, personnel used incorrectly and subs dubious but seriously folks, we had little chance of success today. This is not the Hearts of 98 (developed magnificently over a couple of seasons by JJ), this was not the electric Hearts of 06 (please wiki the team that faced Gretna, ffs) and this was not the Hearts of 2012 with a talismanic Hearts legend and superstar leading us against garbage opposition. We were huge underdogs today and yet still competed manfully, with 3 or 4 players back from significant injuries and with a weak bench lacking any attacking options (Ginelly, c'mon tae ****). I have wanted a more progressive and positive approach in Glasgow for decades but it is totally wrong to believe today was the time to wish for that, we would have been lambs to the slaughter had we exposed ourselves like that and we gave Rangers as good a game as we can at this time. 

When we lost 1-5 and 6 months later 3-4 to Rangers back in the 90's we were building, giving experience and laying foundations and there is reason to be believe similar things are happening just now. Our recruitment is night and day better than in recent seasons, the feel good factor (other than for some tonight, has been returning), we have pull, are an attractive big city club and some finance to back it up with increased salaries and European football, so we have plenty going for us. This is a time to very much stick together. Of course we all want to topple the duopoly, win games like today but we have an enormous opportunity to create a gulf between us in 3rd and the rest. I doubt that has ever existed in Scottish football like it does right now for our club. The financial benefits of groups stage European football and the coefficient over the coming seasons, meaning this should not be a one oft opportunity are immense and can move us well away from your Hibs and Aberdeen's. And that is on top of season ticket sales I predict will be over 15K, European football, Hickey monies etc etc.

This is a golden chance for our club and today should be seen as a further catalyst and impetus not something to diminish the place we find ourselves. Rangers were better than us today but we gave everything, lets retain perspective and look forward to a summer of positive and targeted recruitment and an exciting 2022-23 season. Being in that crowd today with 3 generations of my Hearts supporting family was special and there will be days ahead of us that see us come out on top. As I said to my teary nephew this afternoon, I saw us lose 3 Cup Finals before the never to be forgotten win in May 1998 (not to mention semis to Rangers, Celtic, St Mirren, Airdrie x2) so nothing comes easy, it just makes it all the sweeter when we can celebrate. 

We'll support you evermore, 

Heart of Midlothian,

**** off Hibernian

We'll support you evermore.....

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Francis Albert

• gowestjambo

• Unknown user

• Luckies1874

6 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Full disclosure: I've never been a massive Robbie Neilson fan, as a player or as our manager. Over the years I've regularly questioned why; he's been in the side, why we didn't find and sign better, why numerous managers continued to pick him, once a coach why he appeared extremely risk averse, cautious, defensive even and I had (still have) a chip on my shoulder about is influence on Hibs winning the Cup in 2016. So I'm a sceptic, a naysayer and someone he has needed to get back on his side and support his Hearts teams.

Which brings me to today, I'm genuinely stunned at the reaction of a significant % of Hearts fans to our approach, our performance and the end result. I hope that the comments and the attitudes are some what influenced by disappointment and drink but I am genuinely surprised by the animosity and rhetoric. For me, a confirmed Neilson doubter, today is actually a day to give him some support and praise. Sorry for this thought and notion but I think he squeezed every ounce out of a very limited Hearts side today and kept us in a game against a talented Rangers team, who correct me if I'm wrong have this season beaten Dortmund, Leipzig, Braga and indeed Celtic in knock out ties. What the hell were people anticipating today????????????? Go at that them and get crucified?

I'm reading that tactics were wrong, personnel used incorrectly and subs dubious but seriously folks, we had little chance of success today. This is not the Hearts of 98 (developed magnificently over a couple of seasons by JJ), this was not the electric Hearts of 06 (please wiki the team that faced Gretna, ffs) and this was not the Hearts of 2012 with a talismanic Hearts legend and superstar leading us against garbage opposition. We were huge underdogs today and yet still competed manfully, with 3 or 4 players back from significant injuries and with a weak bench lacking any attacking options (Ginelly, c'mon tae ****). I have wanted a more progressive and positive approach in Glasgow for decades but it is totally wrong to believe today was the time to wish for that, we would have been lambs to the slaughter had we exposed ourselves like that and we gave Rangers as good a game as we can at this time. 

When we lost 1-5 and 6 months later 3-4 to Rangers back in the 90's we were building, giving experience and laying foundations and there is reason to be believe similar things are happening just now. Our recruitment is night and day better than in recent seasons, the feel good factor (other than for some tonight, has been returning), we have pull, are an attractive big city club and some finance to back it up with increased salaries and European football, so we have plenty going for us. This is a time to very much stick together. Of course we all want to topple the duopoly, win games like today but we have an enormous opportunity to create a gulf between us in 3rd and the rest. I doubt that has ever existed in Scottish football like it does right now for our club. The financial benefits of groups stage European football and the coefficient over the coming seasons, meaning this should not be a one oft opportunity are immense and can move us well away from your Hibs and Aberdeen's. And that is on top of season ticket sales I predict will be over 15K, European football, Hickey monies etc etc.

This is a golden chance for our club and today should be seen as a further catalyst and impetus not something to diminish the place we find ourselves. Rangers were better than us today but we gave everything, lets retain perspective and look forward to a summer of positive and targeted recruitment and an exciting 2022-23 season. Being in that crowd today with 3 generations of my Hearts supporting family was special and there will be days ahead of us that see us come out on top. As I said to my teary nephew this afternoon, I saw us lose 3 Cup Finals before the never to be forgotten win in May 1998 (not to mention semis to Rangers, Celtic, St Mirren, Airdrie x2) so nothing comes easy, it just makes it all the sweeter when we can celebrate. 

Heart of Midlothian,

**** off Hibernian

Superb stuff! You aint alone.

Everyone go back and watch the first 10 mins. Thats what Robbie sent onto the park today. Intent, passion, belief.

We traded 10 min spells that first half. Second half onwards a better team than us took control and our boys simply kept trying.

I have niggles. Perhaps 532 rather than 523. But hindsight is marvellous.

Robbie has our boys fighting for us. Thats important. Dont underestimate it.

Hearts1975

Can't argue with any of that whatsoever 

Best post I have read in a long long time 

Bang on the money and I ain't a neilson fan either. Really well worded and it resonated with me. 

I genuinely believe there is a suttle  difference between someone who doesn't rate the manager but who will give them a fair hearing Vs someone else who also doesn't rate the manager and looks to write them off at every given opportunity 

We know what we need to do this summer recruitment wise and the new recruitment team haven't let us down yet so we need to keep the faith that what we are doing is the right thing 

A lot of us screamed for change whilst big Craig was at the club. Not because it was him or done with any bad intent but it just didn't work out for us 

We have went in another direction and as much as it is hurting to lose a cup final we are so far ahead of where we were a few years ago that some folk need to take a reality check - in my honest humble opinion 

cosanostra

Quite happy with Robbie this morning. Most of players were injured and the Huns have a better squad. 

We brought on Andy Halliday and they brought on Glen Kamara.

Finishing 3rd and ****ing the vermin twice in a week made it a decent season.

Hope they spend our money wisely over the next two months. 

Looking forward to next season.

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

Meh we didn't do too badly tbh. 

Only lost it in extra time against a much better squad (who I'm convinced are juiced to the gills haha) 

The one lesson from the final is that Rangers were far too good for us.  Nothing to do with Robbie Neilson.

The other confirmed lesson is that Craig Gordon is god.

What a player.

1 hour ago, Luckies1874 said:

Heart of Midlothian,

**** off Hibernian

Good post. Seems like we are in an Always the Bridesmaid (remember that fanzine?) phase like pre 98. Our time will come again.

We always need the breaks in a game against the bigger budget Old Firm players and also for them to play below par.

I'm fine with Robbie at the helm at present and yes there is reason for optimism regarding Hearts' situation. And I'm usually by default a cynical *******!

Independence
2 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

Heart of Midlothian,

**** off Hibernian

This! HHGH

AlphonseCapone
2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Superb stuff! You aint alone.

Everyone go back and watch the first 10 mins. Thats what Robbie sent onto the park today. Intent, passion, belief.

We traded 10 min spells that first half. Second half onwards a better team than us took control and our boys simply kept trying.

I have niggles. Perhaps 532 rather than 523. But hindsight is marvellous.

Robbie has our boys fighting for us. Thats important. Dont underestimate it.

Agree, very good OP and completely agree. 

We've moved forward massively this season and we all hope Robbie and the rest of the club can build on that momentum. 

As much as yesterday hurt, Robbie, his coaching team and the players will all have learnt something from yesterday. The more finals you get to, the more you become comfortable with them, the more likely you are to win them. As long as we keep reaching finals, we'll add trophies to the cabinet down the line. 

I think folk seriously underestimate the gap between us and Rangers/Celtic at times, albeit in 90 minute finals that's less of a factor as it's a one off, anything can happen, the odds are still massively in their favour. If we're truly to close the gap, it'll take decades, not random good seasons. 

3 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

Heart of Midlothian,

**** off Hibernian

👏 👏 

Kirky Jambo

Afraid I can’t get on board with the OP.

It was a pathetic performance. We were just waiting for Rangers to score. 

Yes they are a good side and better than us, but bear in mind a very poor Hibs thumped them at Hampden. Make no mistake, it was a great opportunity for us and we didn’t come anywhere close to grasping it.

In my opinion it is important we don’t accept that (Hibs-ish attitude) and instead we should criticize players and management for letting us down badly on the big stage. I really think our horrendous end of season form was a contributing factor.

Good season on the whole, but let’s not pretend yesterday was anywhere near acceptable.

fabienleclerq

Great OP. 

My main gripe from yesterday was reading all the shite aimed at Robbie. 

Unknown user

Great op, as above the first ten minutes showed what we were trying to do, and we were toe to toe most of the first half. We were beaten by a better team.

Unknown user
11 minutes ago, Kirky Jambo said:

Yes they are a good side and better than us, but bear in mind a very poor Hibs thumped them at Hampden. Make no mistake, it was a great opportunity for us and we didn’t come anywhere close to grasping it.

In my opinion it is important we don’t accept that (Hibs-ish attitude) and instead we should criticize players and management for letting us down badly on the big stage. I really think our horrendous end of season form was a contributing factor.

Good season on the whole, but let’s not pretend yesterday was anywhere near acceptable.

Hibs didn't thump them at all, they did the same as us, kept it tight for 90 minutes. One of their crosses clicked at just the right time, that's the difference.

6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Hibs didn't thump them at all, they did the same as us, kept it tight for 90 minutes. One of their crosses clicked at just the right time, that's the difference.

Are we talking about 6 years ago.  Not even relevant.

cosanostra
24 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Are we talking about 6 years ago.  Not even relevant.

Wasn't it about 6 months back before they sold the diving toupee?

League Cup semi at Hampden maybe.

4 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

Heart of Midlothian,

**** off Hibernian

That's too coherent for the time you posted. Great OP btw.

ToadKiller Dog

48 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Hibs didn't thump them at all, they did the same as us, kept it tight for 90 minutes. One of their crosses clicked at just the right time, 

Think he's talking about league cup semi .than the hibs cup final win .

Different cup and a semi isn't the same thing .

Edited by ToadKiller Dog

joondalupjambo

Thanks to the OP for taking the time to write, and post what is in my mind.  I could not have written it so well.  We have to understand where we are, how good the OF are and what the future is, an opportunity for the club.

HHGH

Ron Burgundy
1 hour ago, Kirky Jambo said:

This is more on point IMO than the OP. 
I hate the just happy to be here attitude. 

6 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

Heart of Midlothian,

**** off Hibernian

Great stuff,  and fully agree…and I’ve also been a huge doubter of RN at times too.

I stayed off KB last night as it was obvious many posts were just venting and having a go.

Appreciate you taking the time to provide a more balanced and positive take.

We are going places as a club at long last and I’m looking forward to next season 🇱🇻

Wise words original poster. We have indeed a lot going for us. We as a club need to learn from yesterday and where improvements are needed to take another step forward. It took Rangers til mid way through the second half to really take control, there would have been no extra time without the magnificent Gordon and Souttar. Thought we really missed the influence of Boyce once he went off, always showing for the ball and looking to create. We must now though take stock, which players just had an off day, who are maybe not good enough, who need to be moved on, where and who we need to improve us. Our build up to the final proved to be far from ideal, injuries, players saving themselves with third place guaranteed. Whatever momentum  we had was lost and we could not pick it up against a better quality opponent. Disappointment wearing off (along with the red wine) and really looking forward to next season.

2 hours ago, Kirky Jambo said:

We weren't just waiting for rangers to score, we were desperately trying to stop them scoring and managed it for more than 90 mins. Once rangers took control of the game in the second half we had no choice but to defend for our lives. Any time we did get the ball they just took it off us, it's no fair! I can't and won't blame Robbie for rangers being streets ahead of us. 

Unknown user
1 hour ago, cosanostra said:

Wasn't it about 6 months back before they sold the diving toupee?

League Cup semi at Hampden maybe.

1 hour ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

Think he's talking about league cup semi .than the hibs cup final win .

Different cup and a semi isn't the same thing .

Ah right, makes more sense right enough

12 minutes ago, 1953 said:

We weren't just waiting for rangers to score, we were desperately trying to stop them scoring and managed it for more than 90 mins. Once rangers took control of the game in the second half we had no choice but to defend for our lives. Any time we did get the ball they just took it off us, it's no fair! I can't and won't blame Robbie for rangers being streets ahead of us. 

Agreed!

We have a minuscule squad compared to the OF and one built on a much smaller budget. 
Rangers have a very strong squad and bench 
Our thin squad was creaking with niggles and injuries to our key players 

They tried hard but keeping them at bay over the 90 was draining 

if that early chance went in it might have had an influence on the crowd and the rangers players, who knows but we were overpowered by a good team  and desperately defending second half onwards 

I’m proud of where we’ve come and where we’re headed - and I’m happy Robbie is at the helm

7 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

Heart of Midlothian,

**** off Hibernian

Excellent post

Heart of Midlothian,

**** off Hibernian

Great post, summed up my thoughts perfectly. 

Agreed although it will just go the same way as the other threads with the same hand full of posters saying the same thing over and over again

Heart of Midlothian,

**** off Hibernian

Great post.  100% correct. We have a huge opportunity to take a big step forward now. 

Brighton Jambo

Heart of Midlothian,

**** off Hibernian

Perfectly said.  I agree with every word.  

Ford Prentice

Great OP. Good to see some sense on this board this morning.

We go again and this time I really do feel it's onwards and upwards.

The Tackle
3 hours ago, Kirky Jambo said:

This was a good Rangers team managed by a better manager than Steven Gerrard. Hibs played a team in transition without a manager. We had nothing going forward and that needs to be addressed next season. Our one “flair” player in Barry McKay had an off day and has lost his form he was producing midway through the season.

8 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

Heart of Midlothian,

**** off Hibernian

Superb and articulate post. Well done sir. I agree with everything you say.

I like Robbie. I love having staff at the club who actually love Hearts and 'get it'.

I wanted us to have a go yesterday and that lasted 45 mins like you say.

To not have 1 shot on target in a cup final (i know, Simms technically is on target) is pretty embarrasing for us on national TV - regardless of how much we support Neilson and the players. If you take Gordon's superb saves away and their misses from point blank headers we were crucified without having a go anyway so that's the part I disagree with. I would have preffered to get skelpt and have a go and be brave. Standing watching their keeper with the ball under his foot at 2-0 down in extra time isn't good enough.

If it was fitness that was an issue he shouldn't have chose that team - when I looked at the team sheet I said that was the best 11 we have and was the team everyone would have wanted (maybe minus Beni). However if they can't last we should have just sacrificed it for others. 

But listen, had we nicked it 1-0 it would have been a masterclass of tactics and a fantastic performance.

That's football. 

My only worry is we have lost 3 out the last 4 Scottish cup finals.

I’m also a Robbie doubter, but cannot disagree with anything the OP has said.

I thought the team battled well all game and just ran out of steam in extra time.

can’t fault the effort given by the players.

my only gripe was the lack of shots on target, but we need to strengthen in that position, so fingers crossed we will next season.

HHGH

Shooter McGavin

Agree with the OP.

Some people think it’s as simple as “if you just have a go at them, you’ll win the match”, I wish it were that simple.

Rangers have just been beat on penalties in a Europa League final, beating Borussia Dortmund and Leipzig along the way. Yesterday they had a 400k-a-week player on their bench…

I was like a broken record yesterday, but I’ll say it again, after coming back up to the Premiership:

- Our recruitment has been superb

- We’ve cantered to 3rd place

- We’ve secured group stage European football

- We fell just short yesterday in the final

- We’ve brought in a lot of cash due to all of this

People need to understand that seasons like this are what allow you to build on, and strengthen and hopefully keep compounding 3rd place finishes, European football & Cup final appearances.

That is how we can pull away from 9 teams in the league, and hopefully chip away at the gap between us and the Old Firm. A gap that people need to understand is enormous.

So many positives to be taken from this season.

I suppose the other thing to take from yesterday is that it will have reaffirmed to Neilson how big the gap is that he and Savage want to narrow so that is a timely reminder ahead of the transfer window 

August Landmesser

Great op and some good, balanced thoughtful replies too. I've nothing to add but onwards and upwards 

HHGH

KyleLafferty

With the prize money from the league, European group money and gate receipts from those games coming. He’s earned us well over 6 million for this club. Spanked Hibs and got us to a cup final. Been a top season and I can’t wait for the next one.

Dick Dastardly
4 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

Great OP. 

My main gripe from yesterday was reading all the shite aimed at Robbie. 

There seemed to be loads of people crawling out from under their rocks to revel in the defeat yesterday 

PortyBeach
2 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I think the attitude you mention could also be interpreted as being realistic.

Could some players have performed better? Certainly.
But whilst we can legitimately bemoan that, we have to accept that greater financial muscle equates to better players.

We don’t (sadly?) possess club directors who are prepared to squander their personal finances to bankroll a squad in order to prevent another club securing their tenth consecutive title for example.

On the bright side, TRFC are in debt (although their European exploits will have mitigated this) and they still face Mike Ashley’s settlement. Things might not be so rosy at Ibrox in a few months time.

E46C1858-6F1A-4E5A-9186-8AAD20B2288E.jpeg

It struck me that we’ve been third for months, and we’ve lost a bit of an edge as a result. Rangers were a bit knackered, but very much battle hardened. I think (sadly) van Bronkhurst is an excellent coach. 

Shipping two goals quickly knocked us out. I think 1 down we might have dusted ourselves down, got some impetus and they slip into defence mode.

We didn't show up after half time, and I think there are questions to answer regarding that.  

It's a great original post. My only difference is that I've never doubted Robbie, as a player, coach or manager. Not even after Brora.

In this for the long haul.

Finlay James
3 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I think you’ve posted on the wrong thread as that is not remotely the point of the OP’ post.

Finlay James
9 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

Heart of Midlothian,

**** off Hibernian

Fantastic post and I 100% agree.

Full disclosure:

Large post, snipped to reduce scrolling.

Agree with every single word and the bottom line is...