Third time lucky - Redemption awaits

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Lord Beni of Gorgie

The sacred journey comes around perhaps more quickly than expected.

Dare I mention Brora Rangers, how ironic, if glory should fall our way, the Brora version should be more successful than the Glasgow version, and how truly fickle our favourite pastime is.

The third final in four years, not many are so blessed to have had such opportunity, nor under the circumstances ; circling 3 cup finals - one of which robbed us of that very same sacred journey, no matter how epic, or deflating the final outcome, somehow it will be lost in time, without that experience, waking, making the journey, first sight of stadium, teams warming, roar, pain, joy, ecstasy - pain again, journey home, wonder what may have been.

Sadly the reasons for that loss - far too much for the likes of myself to comprehend - for those who suffered true loss in that period, their loss too true; my loss, our loss an irrelevance.

I'm sure a tear will be shed for many who passed that will not enjoy our day.

10 years on now, I dare not think it has been too long - greed and expectation not my thing - so much water under the bridge since; pain, more pain, recovery, hope, pain and more pain, vain hope against an all conquering Celtic, tantalisingly close twice to glory, footballing ibuprofen - in amongst some more pain. They say its the hope that kills us, but without it, it would never be any fun.

Many mistakes have been made in the 10 years, many good intentions, maybe now, maybe this season, these set of characters - on and off the field - and the army of contributions from our fans, maybe just have set us straight for a while to come. This is a good Hearts team, perhaps more worthy of gracing a final than many before them.

But you never know in football, and I will no longer ever take anything for granted; football? Simply life itself.

So come Saturday morning, the butterflies admittedly started this morning, they will be raging, like a child waiting for Christmas, I don't envisage much sleep Friday night.

Then the journey, the walk to the stadium, fanfare, emergence from tunnel, pain - joy - ecstasy - anxiety. We will live it all, and after it all, we will hope some more, we can do it all over again some day, for as a Hearts fan, this is the day that always seems to matter most.

Jambos, win lose or draw, enjoy your Scottish Cup Final day, its been a journey, football and life

HHGH

6 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Dare I mention Brora Rangers, how ironic, if glory should fall our way, the Brora version should be more successful than the Glasgow version, and how truly fickle our favourite pastime is.

The third final in four years, not many are so blessed to have had such opportunity, nor under the circumstances ; circling 3 cup finals - one of which robbed us of that very same sacred journey, no matter how epic, or deflating the final outcome, somehow it will be lost in time, without that experience, waking, making the journey, first sight of stadium, teams warming, roar, pain, joy, ecstasy - pain again, journey home, wonder what may have been.

Sadly the reasons for that loss - far too much for the likes of myself to comprehend - for those who suffered true loss in that period, their loss too true; my loss, our loss an irrelevance.

10 years on now, I dare not think it has been too long - greed and expectation not my thing - so much water under the bridge since; pain, more pain, recovery, hope, pain and more pain, vain hope against an all conquering Celtic, tantalisingly close twice to glory, footballing ibuprofen - in amongst some more pain. They say its the hope that kills us, but without it, it would never be any fun.

Many mistakes have been made in the 10 years, many good intentions, maybe now, maybe this season, these set of characters - on and off the field - and the army of contributions from our fans, maybe just have set us straight for a while to come. This is a good Hearts team, perhaps more worthy of gracing a final than many before them.

But you never know in football, and I will no longer ever take anything for granted; football? Simply life itself.

So come Saturday morning, the butterflies admittedly started this morning, they will be raging, like a child waiting for Christmas, I don't envisage much sleep Friday night.

Then the journey, the walk to the stadium, fanfare, emergence from tunnel, pain - joy - ecstasy - anxiety. We will live it all, and after it all, we will hope some more, we can do it all over again some day, for as a Hearts fan, this is the day that always seems to matter most.

Jambos, win lose or draw, enjoy your Scottish Cup Final day, its been a journey, football and life

HHGH

Very good post & sums the day up as well as us all perfectly. To have made 3 of the last four finals is astonishing. Hopefully we come home with our old friend on Saturday evening. We are capable, we just have to believe!

Heartsofgold
10 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

HHGH

Without a word of a lie, or sarcasm, that post has brought a tear to my eye.

Great post mate.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
6 hours ago, Forrest said:

Well said sir! You should be poet laureate / makar! 

Thanks, I'll settle for Lording it round Gorgie Saturday evening :)

heartandsoul
7 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

HHGH

A truly brilliant post

been here before
8 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

HHGH

Nice sentiment but thats just word salad.

Lone Striker

Rangers - in whatever guise - last won the Scottish Cup in 2009. Their only other appearance in the Final  since then was 2016.       

Hopefully its only the 2nd of those stats which changes on Saturday :jj:

Edited by Lone Striker

section s heart

Yep it's a big occasion, and good achievement making 3 finals in 4 years. Good post but...

Being in the final is not enough. We need to at least try to own being there. Hassle, dominate, move quickly for 90 minutes, take advantage of a potentially tired team.

If we play cagey and without intensity we hand the initiative straight back to them, and they'll love that. 

They're a good side, but never a better time to go for it Robbie, let's make some new heroes. 

gashauskis9
9 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

HHGH

👏👏👏👏👏

Heart of Darkness
11 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

HHGH

Outstanding post LBofG!! 👏👏👏

12 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

HHGH

This is Truly amazing amigo!! I started a *WhatsApp group for the final with the lads tonight. If allowed sir, it's getting copied and pasted from one Jambo to another 10 jambo's within the group  ❤ finally now got the proper buzz from reading this. Legend 

Jambo na hÉireann
8 hours ago, section s heart said:

Being in the final is not enough. 

Indeed. If it was, Hibs would be a successful club.

They're not though. They're pretty ****ing far down the order of success in the Scottish game. 

PortyBeach
18 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

HHGH

Worthy of the late Ian Archer and, in my opinion, a post that encapsulates the spirit of the Hearts support.

We know it’s not going to be easy, we know it’s anxious, but we move forward as one, anyway.

Well said, mate. I hope you’re crying with joy on Saturday 👏

Lord Beni of Gorgie
7 hours ago, McNelly15 said:

This is Truly amazing amigo!! I started a *WhatsApp group for the final with the lads tonight. If allowed sir, it's getting copied and pasted from one Jambo to another 10 jambo's within the group  ❤ finally now got the proper buzz from reading this. Legend 

👍

Tasavallan

Love the OP.

I have recently undergone major surgery on my leg that makes walking difficult without crutches.  I went to the posh seats for the semi but it was an aching chore. Hampden is not designed for the disabled.  So I have decided to miss my first final.

What needs to be recognised is Hearts, Brora aside, are a respected cup final team.  Even the Weegy-centric media is solely becoming aware of the Third Estate. 

HHGH

Smoked-Glass

We were mugged off by a non penalty the first time round... penalties lottery the 2nd.

This time we need luck on our side (luck is code for spazzy officials that run our game in Scotland)

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

Love the OP.

I have recently undergone major surgery on my leg that makes walking difficult without crutches.  I went to the posh seats for the semi but it was an aching chore. Hampden is not designed for the disabled.  So I have decided to miss my first final.

What needs to be recognised is Hearts, Brora aside, are a respected cup final team.  Even the Weegy-centric media is solely becoming aware of the Third Estate. 

HHGH

Disappointed to hear that, take care tomorrow but still have a great day. My early cup final experiences were on telly, still a bit of magic 

hereford_hearts

In Edinburgh now. 7.5 hour journey. I've flown to New York on less time

Met a fellow jambo to pass on a couple of cup final tickets. Lovely guy, talked for an hour about all things jambo. Even discovered we have a friend in common. 

How sitting in my mums house, a couple of Stella's down. 

Can't overdo it tonight, as driving tomorrow. 

HHGH, anf FTH(uns) 

south morocco
3 minutes ago, hereford_hearts said:

In Edinburgh now. 7.5 hour journey. I've flown to New York on less time

Met a fellow jambo to pass on a couple of cup final tickets. Lovely guy, talked for an hour about all things jambo. Even discovered we have a friend in common. 

How sitting in my mums house, a couple of Stella's down. 

Can't overdo it tonight, as driving tomorrow. 

HHGH, anf FTH(uns) 

Nice one, enjoy the game 

Well… 1998 I was there. 2006 I was there. 2012 I couldn’t get a ticket - watched it at a mate’s house.

This time I won’t even be able to watch live - I have an away trip with the wife for our 20th anniversary. (I can’t complain, given I first met her parents, rest their souls, on the day of the final in 1998).

Have just set the Sky box to record it. I hope like hell I will be watching it back with relish on Sunday!