What Can Be Achieved

Tasavallan

Tasavallan

Newcastle was my father's club, SJP was the first ground I ever attended.  Eddie Howe has managed to turn around, (with the help of Saudi money) a club destined for relegation, earlier in the season, to a club that will be fighting for top 6 next season, with luck.  If only Tynecastle could emulate the SJP crowd.  Magnificent display of support and full in your face attack.  Arsenal were pumped.

Italian Lambretta

It's a lot easier when it's only 1 team in the city and you don't have to compete with another team and a lot of snotty egg chasers who don't give a flying deck about football.

The Treasurer

Aye its amazing what a few hundred million can do for the mood of a support.

Just ask citeh, another (relatively) small club in a false position thanks to less than squeaky clean investors

You need to put the right structures in place. 

Recruitment is currently looking to be good. I'm not sure what is happening with things like data analysis. 

Even if you don't have the same money you can still put in the right frameworks. 

8 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

It's a lot easier when it's only 1 team in the city and you don't have to compete with another team and a lot of snotty egg chasers who don't give a flying deck about football.

Most rugby fans in Edinburgh support Hearts or Hibs in my experience

I’m glad some journalists are co-owners of this club, rather than being chopped up and disposed of in bin bags by the owners. 

It's pathetically sad to see fans of Newcastle, Man City and for that matter Chelsea kowtowing to murdering scum. I am more proud of the fact we own the club than any tainted achievement. To paraphrase a truly great football man, the first thing you can do for me is chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest dustbin you can find. Because you’ve never won any of them fairly. You’ve done it all by cheating.

Tasavallan
10 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Edinburgh is strange place.  Still, surely we can emulate the atmosphere if not the crowd capacity.

I did quite like Newcastle and City when I was younger but they have lost every stitch of what it was that I liked about them back then

The Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Jodami said:

To paraphrase a truly great football man, the first thing you can do for me is chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest dustbin you can find. Because you’ve never won any of them fairly. You’ve done it all by cheating.

Sounds all very hibs when we had Romanov.

Kalamazoo Jambo
1 hour ago, Zico said:

I’m glad some journalists are co-owners of this club, rather than being chopped up and disposed of in bin bags by the owners. 

I was born on Tyneside, and always had a soft spot for Newcastle. That came to a fairly abrupt end a few months ago.

john thomas
21 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Think you are massively underestimating the drawing power of the gruesome ones in the west

Bungalow Bill

No one is telling me the atmosphere at St James park is always amazing and a cut above the rest? It will be exactly like most other grounds, good when playing bigger teams and winning and poor when losing against teams they shouldn’t be losing against. 

Newcastle are England’s equivalent to Aberdeen for me (without the trophies), ideas way above their station. 

Bongo 1874
36 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

Newcastle was my father's club, SJP was the first ground I ever attended.  Eddie Howe has managed to turn around, (with the help of Saudi money) a club destined for relegation, earlier in the season, to a club that will be fighting for top 6 next season, with luck.  If only Tynecastle could emulate the SJP crowd.  Magnificent display of support and full in your face attack.  Arsenal were pumped.

Spot on positive thinking manager Eddie Howe regardless of the opposition, great post 👍

So either this will be a thread about what you do to become successful or about Newcastle.

If its Newcastle,

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

So either this will be a thread about what you do to become successful or about Newcastle.

If its Newcastle,

That is the guy that wanted to kill all the blue people in Avatar is it not

49 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

Bankrolled by those scumbags, no thanks.

Newcastle sold their soul.

36 minutes ago, Jodami said:

It's pathetically sad to see fans of Newcastle, Man City and for that matter Chelsea kowtowing to murdering scum. I am more proud of the fact we own the club than any tainted achievement. To paraphrase a truly great football man, the first thing you can do for me is chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest dustbin you can find. Because you’ve never won any of them fairly. You’ve done it all by cheating.

Clough, what a manager.

loveofthegame

It is amazing what can be achieved when you are backed by the blood and oil money of the Saudi regime - a real heartwarming, rags to riches story and completely comparable to something that Hearts can replicate.

SuperstarSteve
5 minutes ago, briever said:

Clough, what a manager.

Agreed. My favourite of all time but I’ll happily admit fergie was the best manager to grace the game.

58 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

You were calling Boyle’s team *******s a few weeks ago and now you are extolling the benefit of having rich Arab owners over what we can achieve with fan ownership ………… you are a confusing person

Just now, Sooks said:

You were calling Boyle’s team *******s a few weeks ago and now you are extolling the benefit of having rich Arab owners over what we can achieve with fan ownership ………… you are a confusing person

The starred out word was a reference to Arab headwear 

Watt-Zeefuik

Huh, I have this hunch that maybe being backed by a foreign capital fund with links to murderous dictators, for the purpose of playing around in UK football and burnishing their image, could be a lot of fun for a bit but also eventually end in tears. Just a hunch.

What if, instead of going down that route, we all chipped in a little bit of cash and built the club slowly over time? Nah, crazy idea, it would never work.

Lone Striker
50 minutes ago, Jodami said:

The genius and demons of Brian Clough | Soccer | The Guardian

Just now, Ainsley Harriott said:

Bank rolled by the sponsors of 9/11. Scum bags

It was not our best transfer window right enough but Hamill scored a couple of important goals in our cup run did not realise Romanov was funding Newcastle these days though

Putting the investment controversy to the back for a minute , I think Howe has made a huge difference though.  

It’s not like they spent money on 8 or 9 players in January.  It’s evident he’s had a huge effect on the players and club as a whole with his approach. 

Guys like Joelinton ,who looked useless for long enough, have been transformed.  

Edited by Debut 4

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, Apache Mal said:

No one is telling me the atmosphere at St James park is always amazing and a cut above the rest? It will be exactly like most other grounds, good when playing bigger teams and winning and poor when losing against teams they shouldn’t be losing against. 

Newcastle are England’s equivalent to Aberdeen for me (without the trophies), ideas way above their station. 

Nah of course it'll be super duper all the time, the absolute best.

And of course they haven't sold their souls.

And of course the week of a Scottish Cup final in which hearts are involved isn't a weird time to post some shit and rip into your club's home atmosphere. 

1 minute ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Nah of course it'll be super duper all the time, the absolute best.

And of course they haven't sold their souls.

And of course the week of a Scottish Cup final in which hearts are involved isn't a weird time to post some shit and rip into your club's home atmosphere. 

Totally agree

Bongo 1874

The same people that supported vlads time at Hearts, but suddenly Newcastle are a problem, Vlad who had links to the KGB and is in hiding in Russia 😂😂 you couldn't write it, but these people are tearing into Newcastle. 

Never seen one of them call out vlad when he took over, hypocrites. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

The same people that supported vlads time at Hearts, but suddenly Newcastle are a problem, Vlad who had links to the KGB and is in hiding in Russia 😂😂 you couldn't write it, but these people are tearing into Newcastle. 

Never seen one of them call out vlad when he took over, hypocrites. 

You really hate Hearts fans eh?

Bongo 1874
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

You really hate Hearts fans eh?

No just don't get the entitlement I support Hearts, Newcastle are my English team 👍

Unknown user

I didn't realise you were a full blown "Do you're research" conspiracy nut bingo.

3 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

No just don't get the entitlement I support Hearts, Newcastle are my English team 👍

**** Newcastle and their owners, this is a Hearts forum.

5 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Family connections there

Tasavallan
41 minutes ago, windsor1874 said:

You obviously don't attend very much then. Went in Dec 2019 for a game versus Palace (just happened to be in the city). Newcastle won 1-0 and the atmosphere was still garbage. Barely a song sung all game. Don't get taken in by the English media hype.

Palace!  You have answered your own question.

49 minutes ago, windsor1874 said:

You obviously don't attend very much then. Went in Dec 2019 for a game versus Palace (just happened to be in the city). Newcastle won 1-0 and the atmosphere was still garbage. Barely a song sung all game. Don't get taken in by the English media hype.

Atmosphere at Newcastle was toxic when Steve Bruce was manager. 

Did not support their team in any way. 

Just caught some teams off guard how bad it was. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

( help of Saudi money) 

That will be the biggest impact on what they can achieve. 

Top 4 then a crack at the top 2 will happen. 

1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

Aye its amazing what a few hundred million can do for the mood of a support.

Just ask citeh, another (relatively) small club in a false position thanks to less than squeaky clean investors

Tbf, with or without that money, the new manager and upturn in form would have led to the same lift in the mood of the fans. One thing no one can ever take from Newcastle is how great their fans are. I've no doubt that over time, the Saudi lot will spend plenty money, but what they've achieved in the 2nd half of the season is purely the result of a decent manager, albeit not one who was unrealistically available to them pre-takeover. The business done in January too wasn't exactly the huge star studded spending spree many thought it would be. Guimaraes was certainly ambitious, but an ageing Trippier, plus Chris Wood and Dan Burn are hardly a step above Newcastle.

Not a Newcastle fan by any means but I have been down to watch them quite a bit the past few years with a mate who is. In Ashley, they felt they had an owner who was bleeding the club dry and had zero ambition, and under Steve Bruce, they suffered a manager out his depth, who achieved relatively pish results across the board and played atrocious football. Both Bruce and Ashley seemed to think that doing enough to stay up each season was an achievement. The fans didn't. Whether you think Newcastle deserve to be a top flight club in terms of size or whatever, is an argument in itself, but no set of fans really wants to just settle for survival each season do they? Point is, even if the new owner was a lot more modest and likeable but with less financial clout, the fans would still be just as delighted to have them on board provided they have ambition for the club.

Don't forget, pre-Saudi money, they still splashed out on players from time to time with the likes of Saint-Maximin and Joelinton for example. Biggest difference is, Howe is getting the best out of them as a decent manager whereas Steve Bruce wasn't. Too point the finger and suggest they're resurgence this season is all about the takeover is pretty lazy and wildly innacurate in my eyes.

the exact same arguments could be made for our fans back in 2005. We only turned up in our droves and created such a buzz because we'd got rid of Robinson and had someone in charge with money and ambition. And Mr Romanov, as much as I love him, was no angel either. Not quite the Saudi's, but a shady man with questionable morals.

11 minutes ago, Cade said:

You too can turn your season around by spending £112million in the January window!!!

:cornette:

Dare I say, according to Wiki, it was ONLY £73 million. :lol: 

BelgeJambo

Probably not in my lifetime but I think the arse will fall out of the English Premiership one day.

look how close Chelsea came due to the current crisis in Ukraine

you wouldn’t bet against something similar happening in the Middle East in the future

The Gorgie
23 minutes ago, Locky said:

Tbf, with or without that money, the new manager and upturn in form would have led to the same lift in the mood of the fans. One thing no one can ever take from Newcastle is how great their fans are. I've no doubt that over time, the Saudi lot will spend plenty money, but what they've achieved in the 2nd half of the season is purely the result of a decent manager, albeit not one who was unrealistically available to them pre-takeover. The business done in January too wasn't exactly the huge star studded spending spree many thought it would be. Guimaraes was certainly ambitious, but an ageing Trippier, plus Chris Wood and Dan Burn are hardly a step above Newcastle.

Not a Newcastle fan by any means but I have been down to watch them quite a bit the past few years with a mate who is. In Ashley, they felt they had an owner who was bleeding the club dry and had zero ambition, and under Steve Bruce, they suffered a manager out his depth, who achieved relatively pish results across the board and played atrocious football. Both Bruce and Ashley seemed to think that doing enough to stay up each season was an achievement. The fans didn't. Whether you think Newcastle deserve to be a top flight club in terms of size or whatever, is an argument in itself, but no set of fans really wants to just settle for survival each season do they? Point is, even if the new owner was a lot more modest and likeable but with less financial clout, the fans would still be just as delighted to have them on board provided they have ambition for the club.

Don't forget, pre-Saudi money, they still splashed out on players from time to time with the likes of Saint-Maximin and Joelinton for example. Biggest difference is, Howe is getting the best out of them as a decent manager whereas Steve Bruce wasn't. Too point the finger and suggest they're resurgence this season is all about the takeover is pretty lazy and wildly innacurate in my eyes.

the exact same arguments could be made for our fans back in 2005. We only turned up in our droves and created such a buzz because we'd got rid of Robinson and had someone in charge with money and ambition. And Mr Romanov, as much as I love him, was no angel either. Not quite the Saudi's, but a shady man with questionable morals.

I've been going to Newcastle games since 2007, had a season ticket at one point. The tears and snorters from people since the take over is brilliant. Years of mike Ashley having zero ambition other than to finish 17th, the fans every right to be delighted now. Folk acting like they went out and tried to buy Messi and the likes to escape relegation, ffs one of the best signings is someone on loan from Aston Villa 😂.

4 minutes ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

I've been going to Newcastle games since 2007, had a season ticket at one point. The tears and snorters from people since the take over is brilliant. Years of mike Ashley having zero ambition other than to finish 17th, the fans every right to be delighted now. Folk acting like they went out and tried to buy Messi and the likes to escape relegation, ffs one of the best signings is someone on loan from Aston Villa 😂.

Yup. It's all a bit mental. I totally get why people are so against the Saudi's, but the game is littered with corrupt and morally bankrupt owners across the World. PSG are owned by the Qatari royal family and check the nick of their human right record. Newcastle seem to be just one of these clubs who get up people's noses for some reason and it shows more than ever with the current scenario.

Many of the same people who will be wishing for Newcastle to crash and burn probably adore the way Man City play.

8 minutes ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

There have been plenty manchester  city fans feeling that way for a few years now so enjoy

The Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

There have been plenty manchester  city fans feeling that way for a few years now so enjoy

I don't expect Newcastle to be winning league titles any time soon, city & Liverpool are just too good imo. But the fans are buzzing that just going to the match is worth while now.

6 minutes ago, Locky said:

Yup. It's all a bit mental. I totally get why people are so against the Saudi's, but the game is littered with corrupt and morally bankrupt owners across the World. PSG are owned by the Qatari royal family and check the nick of their human right record. Newcastle seem to be just one of these clubs who get up people's noses for some reason and it shows more than ever with the current scenario.

Many of the same people who will be wishing for Newcastle to crash and burn probably adore the way Man City play.

Many many dodgy owners out there for various reasons, we've seen it first hand at Hearts. The fans don't care about that, we all just want to see our team do well. Did anyone question romanov when we were signing champions league and Euro winners? Nah we ****ing loved it, didn't care where the money came from 😂.

The Internet

It is some achievement. Up there with man city finishing in the top half of the table. 

We're not going to get access to Oil money, but we can continue to back the club and keep pushing it forward. If we could get to the point where we could fund the renovation of a stand so we can break that 20k barrier that would be amazing. I'm not suggesting 25k+, more like 23k. Big enough to take advantage of the bumper crowds from the OF and Hibs.