Chance meetings with Jambos far from home.

PhoenixHearts

PhoenixHearts

Nice wee story here but I'm out in Arizona just now and we've just been out for dinner in Old Town Scottsdale tonight. We heard some other Scottish accents at the table across from us.

Asked where they were from... Edinburgh!

Got to chatting and asked which team they supported...

Main Stand season ticket holder in section P... I'm in Q.

Lives in Longstone, I live in Chesser!😅

Truly is a small world!

If anyone knows Mark and Vicky who are out on a grand cross country US road trip just now, let them know that was a brilliant little chance encounter😁

A highlight of our visit so far (and desperately needed after the Suns pathetic playoff performance...)

Been visiting Arizona for years and never met another Scot here, nevermind a Jambo from round the other side of the bloody Asda 😂

This is actually the second time this has happened this year. Orlando in February, bellman at our hotel was a Jambo called Gary!

So, does anyone else have any stories like this? Bumping into other supporters half way across the world?

Clark Griswold

Honeymoon in St Lucia in 2011, similarly we heard some Scottish voices by the pool. Got talking to them in the piano bar that night , from Edinburgh, and turns out they were both season ticket holders in the wheat field as am I and my family! 

We were in a secluded resort (not one of the main ones you get) and couldn’t believe it. Hoped to bump into them one day on the concourse but never saw them since :(.

small world indeed.

Have met a few fellow Hearts fans on holidays in Spain, Portugal, Italy. our most unusual chance meeting wasn't with another Hearts fan but when my wife and I went on a cruise in 2011, Liberty Of The Seas, Royal Caribbean cruise ship with over 3000 passengers. On our first night we went to the main dining area which was spread over three decks, sitting at the table next to us was our son's guitar tutor, only saw him briefly one other time during the week's cruise. 

the general

Met 2 Hearts fans in a bar in Pattaya .. ended up we had loads of pals in common and still keep in touch now

Rick James

At a Schalke game in 2018, I was lucky enough to be invited on the pitch to speak at half time and duly wore a retro Hearts top. The whole thing is beamed on the big screen, and when I got back to the standing section, I was welcomed by a Jambo who couldn't believe what he'd just witnessed. :lol: 

Ended up sharing a taxi with the same chap by chance in Livingston later that year. Not so strange that one I guess.

broony1985

Zante 2007 with the wife, The kids entertainer Artie who was Austrian claimed to be a hearts fan and takes all his tops with him when he travels. I didn't believe him so after his shift he went back to his apartment and put his hearts top on and came back to the Hotel. 

Couldn't believe it.  Turns out he had studied in Edinburgh for a few years at Heriot Watt and fell in love with the club after attending a few home games as something to do at the weekends. 

(I'm on the right)

229386_9490334355_8187_n.jpg.473f9f1f5fb28589dba3414c5f27b2fa.jpg

Stuart Lyon

2006 winter olympics in Turin met Interista from JKB at one of the ice hockey semi finals. Ended up visiting him in Milan to watch cup tie v Patrick Thistle with members of the Lombardia Hearts club!

The Wrinkly Ninja

Met a a Hearts family in St. Lucia about 11 years back and have been avoiding them in the wheatfield concourse ever since.

*not all of the above actually happened

Blackie the Cat

15th floor of a department store in Osaka Japan, September 2014. Scottish looking guy walks past me in a Hearts top, I said "Didn't think I would see any other Hearts fans here". 

I'm not sure what he was all about but basically, he fled as if he was on the Witness Protection Plan. Very strange chap and if you are reading this, I hope your still safe.

Met a fellow Jambo here in Cayman and turns out we were both born and brought up in Drylaw as well. 4650 miles from home. Very small world indeed!

Midloth_Iain
2 hours ago, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

Met a a Hearts family in St. Lucia about 11 years back and have been avoiding them in the wheatfield concourse ever since.

🤣

Midloth_Iain

1st time in Turkey ( September 1998 after cup win), out on a day trip, met a Dons fan. Got chatting, he told me there was a Hearts fan (Turkish) who worked in a bar in Olu Deniz (we were up the road in Hisaronu).

We went in the following night, I had my Hearts polo on. He spotted my top, stopped serving the bemused couple, ran over and greeted me like a long lost brother (before returning & apologising to the poor couple trying to order a meal). 

A couple of nights later he showed me his collection of Hearts related posters, magazines and t shirts which he had been given over the years.

His cousin had moved to Scotland and they chatted over the phone about Hearts and his cousins love of Scotland. Hence he became a fan and dreamed of getting to Tynecastle one day. This was the days before proper social media and I often wondered what happened to him (Remzi).

Taught him the words to the Hearts song too 😄

6 hours ago, the general said:

Met 2 Hearts fans in a bar in Pattaya .. ended up we had loads of pals in common and still keep in touch now

I shudder to think what kind of bar.

Portable Badger

Flew out to Nairobi, Kenya for a prospective job and was interviewed by a Haddington Jambo now living out there. Got the contract funnily enough.

Templeton Peck

Visited the in laws in New Zealand 2011. They live in a remote small town an hour south of Auckland. Second day there visit a supermarket and first person I saw was wearing a white 2096 away top. 

davemclaren
3 minutes ago, Templeton Peck said:

Visited the in laws in New Zealand 2011. They live in a remote small town an hour south of Auckland. Second day there visit a supermarket and first person I saw was wearing a white 2096 away top. 

Back to the Future Hearts SC. 

Alcudia, walking down the beach, blonde walks past, whom I thought I recognised as bint of a well known Edinburgh Gangster......like your top big man (85/86) gets past me and says... You hearts ....I retorted, at least my top fits me fatty. I wasn't shot so may not have been who I thought it was.

Not quite what the thread is about but thought I'd share. 

Luckies1874
1 hour ago, Templeton Peck said:

Impressive time traveling!

1 hour ago, Templeton Peck said:

Was it the pies one?

Class of 75

Was in Universal, Florida in 2016 and wearing my Hearts top when stopped by one of the staff. Turns out he was from Gorgie and emigrated to the States 25 years previously. He said meeting another Jambo had made his day.

kingantti1874

In early 2002 I met a jambo in a youth hostel in collaroy in the northern beaches, hung out for a couple of weeks and had a couple of cracking nights out thanks to a wee collection from nimbin 👌🏻He was a painter and decorator. We lost touch at some point - Always wondered if he posted on here … 

Edited by kingantti1874

19 hours ago, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

*not all of the above actually happened

😂😂😂

Was going through security at parliamebt here and the official said "Hearts tie". I said it's actually a pub tie called the Diggers.  He responded that he'd had many a pint in there.

Brief encounter as I had to move on but memorable.  He was a kiwi.

hereford_hearts
14 hours ago, Templeton Peck said:

Dear time traveller. 

Can you tell me who wins the 15:30 at Ascot next Tuesday please😏

sprinbox98

When living in wellington New Zealand were playing Bahrain for a place at the World Cup. The wanted everyone to wear white to the game - it looked quite smart.

I put on my hearts away kit, only to bump into another Jambo wearing the same top. He was hammered and was really keen to continually hug!

Perth to Paisley

I was working in Maastricht but came home every weekend bar one.(needed to stay for work reasons)

Unfortunately that weekend was our friendly v Barcelona!

I went to a local irish bar to watch it only to find two other Hearts fans there as well.

The son lived locally (Sittard?) but the Dad was just visiting.

Hopefully both are well.

1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

Was walking through Central Park in New York when a jogger ran past in full Hearts strip

😆  a full kit  

Did he have shinnies on too?

Kalamazoo Jambo

Met a Hearts fan who was working in the Empire State Building when I visited there a few years ago.

Also, not quite the same but I was at the rim of the Grand Canyon sometime in the late 2000s when a woman started speaking Lithuanian to me. Needless to say, I do not speak Lithuanian. Had to explain about the UKIO Bankas sponsorship on my Hearts top (luckily her English was better than my Lithuanian). Seems she had heard of Vlad at least :laugh2:

7 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

In early 2002 I met a jambo in a youth hostel in collaroy in the northern beaches, hung out for a couple of weeks and had a couple of cracking nights out thanks to a wee collection from nimbin 👌🏻He was a painter and decorator. We lost touch at some point - Always wondered if he posted on here … 

Good ol' Nimbin 😄