Hearts 1998 Scottish Cup Win v Rangers - 24 years ago today

Silvery_Moon

Luckies1874

Nothing Hearts do will ever surpass the euphoria of that day. 

Edited by Luckies1874

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, dannymack said:

Anyone fancy an "on hindsight bet builder"? 

Screenshot_20220516-181557_Gallery.jpg

Go on then. Can you get me a price for Adam to score anytime? 

CF11JamTart
2 hours ago, Hmfc1965 said:

I was 32 and had about given up on ever seeing us win anything. 

I was 25, but same thing.

Too many horrible semi finals defeats. Airdrie... FFS. Twice! 

Francis Albert
10 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The greatest day of my Hearts supporting life. Even 5-1 is a distant 2nd.

Absolutely. 5-1 was great but just too easy. In the sense of never in doubt.

But 24 years. Jeez!

52 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Go on then. Can you get me a price for Adam to score anytime? 

8/11 🥴

August Landmesser
2 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

Nothing Hearts do will ever surpass the euphoria of that day. 

Absolute bedlam, greatest weekend of my life! Spent a lot of it just walking about in disbelief

King of the North

Absolute pandemonium. The whole weekend.

2012 doesn't come even halfway close. If you were at both, you'd know. 

The incredible release of emotion from a fanbase that hadn't seen a trophy since 1960, had seen league losses in 65 and 86, countless semi final defeats and the two cup final defeats to Rangers in 96 and 97.

All I really remember about the day and the weekend was that raw emotion. The other details are sketchy...

maroonsgotop
4 hours ago, dannymack said:

Anyone fancy an "on hindsight bet builder"? 

Screenshot_20220516-181557_Gallery.jpg

12/5 to win then, 6/1 this time. Will be some achievement if we do it

Alec Eiffel
12 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

Fantastic day especially as I doubted I would ever see Hearts win a trophy.    I would never compare with 5-1 though.  98 was about the euphoria of winning the cup, 2012 was about the relief of not losing the biggest derby of all time.  Different days, different pressures.  To sum up I don't feel any pressure going in to Saturday's game but I was tight as a drum in semi as our season seemed to depend on it.

Me too.   Didn't know how to celebrate afterwards.

Samuel Camazzola
59 minutes ago, dannymack said:

8/11 🥴

Deal. I may build it up with us to score in each half. 😉 

Francis Albert

I doubt anything will ever surpass the drama of that final. Not for me anyway. After the 96 league cup final where we outplayed a great Ringers side I was resigned never to see Hearts win a trophy. 

The first goal reaction was ... We will never hang on for 90 minutes. Adam's goal was the biggest thrill .. we might actually do it! 

And despite the agony after their goal and the expectation that the inevitable was going to happen ... But it didn't. Cue tears and  hugs with every Hearts fan within reach.

1 hour ago, maroonsgotop said:

12/5 to win then, 6/1 this time. Will be some achievement if we do it

Screenshot_20220517-001006_bet365.jpg

Screenshot_20220517-001748_bet365.jpg

Edited by dannymack

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Deal. I may build it up with us to score in each half. 😉 

Based on the Semi... chances ??? 

Screenshot_20220517-001419_bet365.jpg

I got a video of the game 6 weeks later.  When it came to added time I went for a pee I didn't need and made a cup of coffeee I didn't want.

I'd known the result for 6 weeks.  When I immediately watched it again, I plucked up the courage to watch the added time.

That guy Amarouso was hopeless.

Luckies1874
16 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

That guy Amarouso was hopeless.

For as well as we played that day the most pivotal moment actually came a week earlier at Tannadice when Albertz was red carded. If he had played in the final he would almost certainly have scored at least once from one of the numerous free kicks Rangers had around our box and which Amoruso took and made a mess of.

Neither team have anywhere near the players on show in 98 but I wonder if they might lose an important player like Tavernier and/or Kent after the game on Wednesday night. Any advantage we can get, we need. 

Edited by Luckies1874

15 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Happiest Hearts day of my life.

There was something about the day that was so special after so many failures.

Walking up Westfield Road arm in arm with my old man.

Edit - I was 33, my kids have seen us win the cup 3 times, spoilt brats.

It will always be the best for me as Hearts had never won a major trophy in my lifetime up until then, which would be the same for you.  I was 34, got home in very much a bad state of wear on the Saturday night.

The wife was far from happy when I eventually surfaced on the Sunday and told her I was heading down to Gorgie to witness the parade.  I had to point out to her that I was 34 and it was 36 years since Hearts had won anything, so if we waited another 36 years to win a trophy, I'd be 70 before I had another chance to witness a victory parade.

2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

I doubt anything will ever surpass the drama of that final. Not for me anyway. After the 96 league cup final where we outplayed a great Ringers side I was resigned never to see Hearts win a trophy. 

The first goal reaction was ... We will never hang on for 90 minutes. Adam's goal was the biggest thrill .. we might actually do it! 

And despite the agony after their goal and the expectation that the inevitable was going to happen ... But it didn't. Cue tears and  hugs with every Hearts fan within reach.

Especially when McCoist was brought down on the edge of the box and it looked as if the ref was pointing for a penalty.  In that moment I thought we'd blown it, then it turns out he'd only given a free kick.  I think the 10 minutes or so after Rangers got it back to 2-1 must be the longest 10 minutes of my life.

18 hours ago, King of the North said:

Absolute pandemonium. The whole weekend.

2012 doesn't come even halfway close. If you were at both, you'd know. 

The incredible release of emotion from a fanbase that hadn't seen a trophy since 1960, had seen league losses in 65 and 86, countless semi final defeats and the two cup final defeats to Rangers in 96 and 97.

All I really remember about the day and the weekend was that raw emotion. The other details are sketchy...

I was at both and for me 2012 was better

Just imagine if we had mobile phones back then that were capable of capturing the finer moments of that weekend 😳  ?

Still got some prints that were developed but hopefully the memories will live forever.

My favourite of our cup wins. The scenes in Gorgie were magnificent on both the Saturday following the game and the Sunday. I ended up at this celtic party in Craigshill :shocked3: What few photos I had got lost when I moved down South.

ford donald
1 hour ago, Marvin said:

My favourite of our cup wins. The scenes in Gorgie were magnificent on both the Saturday following the game and the Sunday. I ended up at this celtic party in Craigshill :shocked3: What few photos I had got lost when I moved down South.

Backed Hearts to win 2-0 and 2-1 with first goal scorer Cameron,happy days!

Watching this on YouTube right now…….. how much is Scotland’s national football team manager willing Rangers on ……. although I did enjoy him building up Amorusos free kick that went a bit Kujabi ………… honestly though if you get a chance to watch it again just marvel at how Brown is only interested in what Rangers are doing : - D

Amoruso let's it run.......Adam

Best day ever, never thought I'd see the day, that Hearts would win silverware. 

I was 30 then, where does the time go.

Let's do this Hearts 🇱🇻🏆

15 minutes ago, rmreido said:

Amoruso let's it run.......Adam

Best day ever, never thought I'd see the day, that Hearts would win silverware. 

I was 30 then, where does the time go.

Let's do this Hearts 🇱🇻🏆

How totally shit was Amoruso in retrospect by the way ……. total liability : - D

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Watching this on YouTube right now…….. how much is Scotland’s national football team manager willing Rangers on ……. although I did enjoy him building up Amorusos free kick that went a bit Kujabi ………… honestly though if you get a chance to watch it again just marvel at how Brown is only interested in what Rangers are doing : - D

Watched a replay only a few months ago and couldn’t believe how biased Brown was!

My HEART was jumping oot ma chest at full time but jeez that last 5 minutes !! Especially when McCoist nearly won a penalty near full time which might have been an equaliser !!

4 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Watched a replay only a few months ago and couldn’t believe how biased Brown was!

I did not remember it being that bad at the time but it explains some of his World Cup squad in hind sight 

5 hours ago, Sooks said:

I did not remember it being that bad at the time but it explains some of his World Cup squad in hind sight 

Yup Neil McCann not good enough…..until he went to Rangers! 😏