Hearts 1998 Scottish Cup Win v Rangers - 24 years ago today

Silvery_Moon

That was a stronger Rangers team than todays and stronger Hearts team too but the biggest factor for me is in the difference between the two teams and I think the difference is bigger between them and us now ………….. even in this game though if you watch it back without the emotion of being there live we were holding on and containing for large periods of the match

My second favourite day supporting Hearts

Carl Fredrickson

JJ got the tactics spot on that day. Albert being suspended was a huge boost to us. 

Probably the best day of my life (don't tell my kids that). 

Fxxx the SPFL

definitely my best moment 41 years of waiting and at last and it was my younger brother's birthday that day as well. 

Best day ever - I put the graphics on the front of the open top tour bus a few days before the game saying "LRT says we'll done to Hearts" or something similar and while doing it was convinced I was about to jinx us 🤣 but thankfully it all worked out OK 👍 

Just now, rory78 said:

Best day ever - I put the graphics on the front of the open top tour bus in Shrubhill depot a few days before the game saying "LRT says we'll done to Hearts" or something similar and while doing it was convinced I was about to jinx us 🤣 but thankfully it all worked out OK 👍 

Салатные палочки

Nothing will ever beat that day and weekend. 

Geoff Kilpatrick

The greatest day of my Hearts supporting life. Even 5-1 is a distant 2nd.

Percival King

Utterly magnificent. Best Hearts supporting weekend of my life by a distance. Will only be bettered when we win the European Cup.

Rocky jamboa

As others have said, best day of my Hearts supporting life ever and I can't see anything ever surpassing it.  I thought the Hibs final would but it didn't. 

I was 24 at the time so was my first time seeing us win anything (apart from the Tennents 6's! 😁)

That was a right good Rangers team - better than the one we'll face on Saturday. I had a funny feeling we would do it that day. 

Fantastic day especially as I doubted I would ever see Hearts win a trophy.    I would never compare with 5-1 though.  98 was about the euphoria of winning the cup, 2012 was about the relief of not losing the biggest derby of all time.  Different days, different pressures.  To sum up I don't feel any pressure going in to Saturday's game but I was tight as a drum in semi as our season seemed to depend on it.

PapaShango

Best day and weekend of supporting Hearts. I was 18 and convinced I would never see us win anything. Guys older than me had went through the ringer a lot worse tho! Only winning the league would surpass it I think. Hopefully we win on Saturday. Keep telling my 5 year old that losing finals and semis comes with supporting Hearts! Hopefully he doesn’t need to wait until he’s 18 to see us lift a cup.

Shanks said no

Happiest Hearts day of my life.

There was something about the day that was so special after so many failures.

Walking up Westfield Road arm in arm with my old man.

Edit - I was 33, my kids have seen us win the cup 3 times, spoilt brats.

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

Heartsofgold

People are saying (rightly) that it was a fantastic day but it was really a fantastic weekend.  the weather was scorching and Gorgie was the happiest place on earth that weekend.  Jesus, the Monday though!!  I had to go into work as I had client meetings, fortunately they realised that I was on the verge of dying on my arse all day!!

The best weekend of my life to that point, only my wedding day and children's births beat it.  Best cup win for me, even beating 2012.  The emotional release that day was spectacular!!

I'm Just reading the Legends book about 98 to get myself in the mood for Saturday. The early chapter about the team bus coming down Gorgie Road is sending shivers down my spine again. The uncontrolled belam outside The Tyncastle Arms with the players on the roof of the bus with the cup will never be repeated in that way. It was pure joy and privilege to be there a see it.

Салатные палочки
1 minute ago, Heartsofgold said:

People are saying (rightly) that it was a fantastic day but it was really a fantastic weekend.  the weather was scorching and Gorgie was the happiest place on earth that weekend.  Jesus, the Monday though!!  I had to go into work as I had client meetings, fortunately they realised that I was on the verge of dying on my arse all day!!

The best weekend of my life to that point, only my wedding day and children's births beat it.  Best cup win for me, even beating 2012.  The emotional release that day was spectacular!!

The weather was glorious all weekend. Sun shining from early Saturday morning until the Monday, which I think was a bank holiday? Could be wrong there. 

Heartsofgold
7 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

The weather was glorious all weekend. Sun shining from early Saturday morning until the Monday, which I think was a bank holiday? Could be wrong there. 

It was indeed but I'd foolishly agreed to meet them on that day as they were off work.  Great weekend though, one memory that I hope I NEVER lose!!

Pans Jambo
3 hours ago, Snedds76 said:

Best final win ever nothing will ever beat it. 

One of the absolute best things to ever happen in my life. 

2 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

JJ got the tactics spot on that day. Albert being suspended was a huge boost to us. 

Probably the best day of my life (don't tell my kids that). 

I wonder if Robbie might take a page from the JJ playbook and go with this line-up on Saturday:

Gordon; Souttar Halkett Kingsley; Smith Devlin Haring Halliday Cochrane; McKay Simms? Boycie can be Jim Hamilton.

After all the bridesmaid years this was the best day of my Hearts supporting life. Barbecued in the sun, men with tears rolling down their faces and partying all weekend. 

3 hours ago, rory78 said:

Best day ever - I put the graphics on the front of the open top tour bus a few days before the game saying "LRT says we'll done to Hearts" or something similar and while doing it was convinced I was about to jinx us 🤣 but thankfully it all worked out OK 👍 

Correct me if I'm wrong PLEASE DO but should it not be "LRT/Lothian Buses say Well Done Hearts !" Instead of "say's" ? 

🤣🤣🤣

1998 beats 2012 for me, no contest and more to the point sone Hibs fans I know can't fathom that out. 

image.png.ea4a676e211767c9d44738bbeb019abc.png

image.png.4ccef7ba25877deb26cbd9059120ca83.pngimage.png.772a6807b0941a845972d66eab9e8764.png 

15 minutes ago, dannymack said:

Correct me if I'm wrong PLEASE DO but should it not be "LRT/Lothian Buses say Well Done Hearts !" Instead of "say's" ? 

🤣🤣🤣

1998 beats 2012 for me, no contest and more to the point sone Hibs fans I know can't fathom that out. 

image.png.4ccef7ba25877deb26cbd9059120ca83.pngimage.png.772a6807b0941a845972d66eab9e8764.png 

You might be correct actually but that's what we were asked to put on it 👍

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
29 minutes ago, dannymack said:

🤣🤣🤣

Seems mental to be talking about this on a 98 cup final thread 😄 but Lothian Buses is the name of the singular company, right. 'Says' works I reckon. 

37 minutes ago, dannymack said:

🤣🤣🤣

Amazing times and I can not believe people would be so blase about doing it again .................................... Europe is brilliant but lifting a cup is why we do this

copa-mundial

Always the bridesmaid, until the final whistle blew! 

An incredible day. One you can't explain really. Seeing my dad cry, seeing older men cry. It's only now I understand why and what it meant. 

16 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Seems mental to be talking about this on a 98 cup final thread 😄 but Lothian Buses is the name of the singular company, right. 'Says' works I reckon. 

Yes indeed. "Says" is correct; it's not the individual buses saying "well done"

davemclaren

Best day of my Hearts supporting life. 41 years old and first time I’d seen them win a major trophy. Doubt it will ever be beaten. 

scottiejambo

Best day as a hearts supporter - I think a lot of us were strangely confident that day that we would win - not sure why?

Strangely enough, I feel confident about this Saturday as well (as the moment!)

Edited by scottiejambo

My favourite cup win of the last three easily.

Am I right it was Walter Smith's last match as Rangers manager and after scoring goals for fun all season they dropped Marco Negri after a huge fall out?

It was his last match and negri was never the same player for them after Sergio Porrini I think it was injured him after hitting him in the eye while playing squash 😂

Silvery_Moon

Best day for me as a Hearts fan. 2012 was fantastic and a much more enjoyable 2nd half (after a very stressful build up) but the feeling of 1998 at that final whistle I can't see being topped. The journey back to Edinburgh, the Firemen at the Calder Road Fire Station out to greet the team. The crowds in Gorgie Road and amazing weather all weekend. The excitement and joy as it was the first trophy so many had seen. I was 21 but had still had many disappointments up till that moment.

20 minutes ago, Snedds76 said:

It was his last match and negri was never the same player for them after Sergio Porrini I think it was injured him after hitting him in the eye while playing squash 😂

I think it was rumored that the squash thing was made up and that Porrini had actually popped him in the eye .................................. probably for being a sullen moody dick : - D

Spent the majority of the 2nd half pacing outside the toilets, time stood still. That was my first season with a season ticket, the entertainment that year was frightening 

Shipwrecked

Absolutely my best ever footballing day - not even 2012 comes close. The emotion in the stands at full time was incredible. Did it make up for all the near misses that came before it? No,( I'd rather we'd won them too!) but for those that followed Hearts through those games it made winning a trophy at last all the sweeter. 

98 was some year. We then spent 3 weeks at the world cup with 4 Jambos and 1 Hibby in our group. He had to listen to us going on and on about that game, and then on the day of the Morocco game we bumped into Gilles Rousset in St. Etienne. What a lovely guy - Gilles that is - his pals couldn't believe the reception he was getting. 

Taking my son on Saturday. Maybe he'll be going on about that game in 20+ years time. 

I've always wondered why these 3 lads weren't celebrating the goal 🤣

Well it appears they're not celebrating, maybe the camera doesn't tell the real story but it always raises my curiosity levels 🤣

Was it shock that froze them ? If so the only 3 in the Hearts end as the rest of us were going ballistic 🥴

Screenshot_20220516-175817_Instagram.jpg

4 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Could be worse, I could be promoting the lego bus 🤣🤣

image.png.6b8517d1af9c7dcd1c38c691d1ecf987.png

8 hours ago, PapaShango said:

Best day and weekend of supporting Hearts. I was 18 and convinced I would never see us win anything. Guys older than me had went through the ringer a lot worse tho! Only winning the league would surpass it I think. Hopefully we win on Saturday. Keep telling my 5 year old that losing finals and semis comes with supporting Hearts! Hopefully he doesn’t need to wait until he’s 18 to see us lift a cup.

I was 32 and had about given up on ever seeing us win anything. 

1 hour ago, Muppetboy said:

Spent the majority of the 2nd half pacing outside the toilets, time stood still. That was my first season with a season ticket, the entertainment that year was frightening 

I was there with about 10 to go.

They were mobbed.