Recommend a Kebab

otterjohn

Looking for some Kickback help

Any ideas where I can get a really good Donner or Chicken Kebab in either West Lothian or Edinburgh

Especially with the old style chilli sauce and salad dressing

Cheers in Advance

Greedy Jambo
23 minutes ago, otterjohn said:

Any ideas where I can get a really good Donner or Chicken Kebab in either West Lothian or Edinburgh

Cheers in Advance

Karishma in Livingston is my go to, ask for the salad and sauce separate though. 

I usually get a medium chicken and a medium shish, or chicken tikka tandoori with a chapati, comes with rice, salad and curry sauce. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

Just now, Greedy Jambo said:

Karishma in Livingston is my go to, ask for the salad and sauce separate though. 

I usually get a medium shicken and a medium shish, or chicken tikka tandoori with a chapati. 

Cheers

Gorgie_Rules

Always struggle for a proper good kebab in centre if Edinburgh. The place at the top of the waverly steps used to decent but not been in years. Heard Kebab Mahal is good but never been.

The German Donner Kebab place on Lothian Road is terrible.

Edited by Gorgie_Rules

Just now, Gorgie_Rules said:

Always struggle for a proper kebab good kebab in centre if Edinburgh. The place at the top of the waverly steps used to decent but not been in years. Heard Kebab Mahal is good but never been.

The German Donner Kebab place on Lothian Road is terrible.

I love German Doner. 

1 minute ago, manaliveits105 said:

Topkapi - Fountainbridge 

used to be good not been in years 

It's no longer open. 

Doctor FinnBarr
1 hour ago, otterjohn said:

Cheers in Advance

Marmaris in Polbeth isn't bad, no minimum order for delivery. Got a donner calzone the other night, came with 2 sauces, no idea what one was as I was only interested in the chilli.

Talking of chilli, you should give OPA OPA Greek food in Livi a bash, not terribly hot but they do a chilli yoghurt, loved it.

conn artist

It's all about shawarma these days it seems. Aleppo at the roundabout opppsite Saughton Park is incredible.

Konrad von Carstein
2 hours ago, conn artist said:

It's all about shawarma these days it seems. Aleppo at the roundabout opppsite Saughton Park is incredible.

Stenhouse Cross?

conn artist
2 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Stenhouse Cross?

At the skatepark/ balgreen side.

193 balgreen rd according to Google. 

The lamb shawarma wrap is delicious. So is the baba ganoush, hummus, falafel sides. 

http://myaleppogrill.com/

It upsets me when chippies use iceberg lettuce instead of cabbage for the salad. Like do they realise how much it ruins the experience? Arseholes. 

Also when they manage to cock up the sauces and you end up with this cream coloured mayo instead of the garlic sauce. 

See if you run a chippy and you're currently using lettuce instead of cabbage, I hope your next shites a hedgehog you grade 1 prick. 

28 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

Javits do good kebabs, I live in Fife though and the quality is that bad here javits could be mediocre.

Shalimar in Rosyth! Love their Keeeeeeeeeeebabs!

Konrad von Carstein

The Brig chippy in Dunfermline does great kebabs (is a pretty decent chippy in general).

Restonbabe

Javits at top of hyvot on drum street. Won the best kebab in the uk a few years ago. 

Unrivaled for his donner kebab or Shish kebab. 

Failing that dersim kebab house on Dalry Road does the best chicken kebab ive ever had.

1 hour ago, Kenbo said:

Shalimar in Rosyth! Love their Keeeeeeeeeeebabs!

Fife needs a Javits. I used to travel from kirkcaldy for marmaris in Rosyth when it opened but it went downhill after a wee while. Edinburgh is spoilt for take aways they have a nerve calling anything shite until they've been to deep fryer.

6 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Stenhouse Cross?

That’s Ali’s. Used to be good along there but not had one from there for ages.

Curry King in Bathgate. Old style kebab that has your fingers stinking for days. 

3 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

has your fingers stinking for days. 

I think you’re on the wrong thread.  :thumbsup:

highlandjambo3

Not in Edinburgh but the post reminded me of my time in Saudi Arabia, the vendor was a guy on a bike with a battered old handmade cart and, he’d turn up every evening and set up outside our camp and literally sell hundreds of these (chicken or lamb) at 50p a pop all with fresh salad, chilli sauce and fresh baked flatbreads, absolutely phenomenal, never tasted anything like it since.

E0A425F0-9007-4B98-9ADF-9BE7CA90ECE9.jpeg

B964575C-1650-43CA-8895-8014EC19D9E2.jpeg

Greedy Jambo
17 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Marmaris in Polbeth isn't bad, no minimum order for delivery. Got a donner calzone the other night, came with 2 sauces, no idea what one was as I was only interested in the chilli.

Talking of chilli, you should give OPA OPA Greek food in Livi a bash, not terribly hot but they do a chilli yoghurt, loved it.

I've been meaning to try that, but can't face the prices, £26 quid for the munchy box, £4 delivery, plus the just eat fee, mental. 

New Town Loafer

Have heard Marmaris on South Clerk Street (?) is very good. 

Would personally recommend Hajar’s Shawarma King on Leven Street, though.

Rick James
21 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Topkapi - Fountainbridge 

used to be good not been in years 

Been closed a while now sadly. Think it was forced to close temporarily when the gas explosion happened in the flat above in 2019. Think they just opted not to re-open. Sat empty still to this day.

21 hours ago, Mister T said:

Palmera at surgeon's hall

Kebab Mahal across the road in the square for me is the best around. Best donner meat I've had and they do their own home made chilli sauce as well as the usual bottle sauce on it. Absolutely magic after a night out. Generous portion sizes too. Pakistani family run it so they do a lot of curry dishes too but haven't tried yet.

Rick James

Anyone tried the Greek place on Granton Road yet? Looks good but not had the chance to get anything myself yet.

Weakened Offender
6 minutes ago, Locky said:

Anyone tried the Greek place on Granton Road yet? Looks good but not had the chance to get anything myself yet.

The wee Greek cafe just up from the Haymarket Bar is worth a visit. 

Rick James
9 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

The wee Greek cafe just up from the Haymarket Bar is worth a visit. 

Ola Kala? I think I tried food from there a while back when I first went to my Greek mates house in Gorgie. Was my first experience of Greek food IIRC. Lovely.

Weakened Offender
13 minutes ago, Locky said:

Ola Kala? I think I tried food from there a while back when I first went to my Greek mates house in Gorgie. Was my first experience of Greek food IIRC. Lovely.

Aye, that's the one. 

Jeffros Furios
17 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Aye, that's the one. 

A regular haunt Vinny ? 

Weakened Offender
1 minute ago, Jeffros Furios said:

A regular haunt Vinny ? 

You're a regular haunt. 

14 hours ago, Herbert. said:

Tried Marmaris, wasn't a fan - been going to the Shalimar ever since it opened. Love the kebabs there. Anytime I visit home it's one of my first port's of call!

Fife needs a Javits. I used to travel from kirkcaldy for marmaris in Rosyth when it opened but it went downhill after a wee while. Edinburgh is spoilt for take aways they have a nerve calling anything shite until they've been to deep fryer.

13 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Not in Edinburgh but the post reminded me of my time in Saudi Arabia, the vendor was a guy on a bike with a battered old handmade cart and, he’d turn up every evening and set up outside our camp and literally sell hundreds of these (chicken or lamb) at 50p a pop all with fresh salad, chilli sauce and fresh baked flatbreads, absolutely phenomenal, never tasted anything like it since.

E0A425F0-9007-4B98-9ADF-9BE7CA90ECE9.jpeg

B964575C-1650-43CA-8895-8014EC19D9E2.jpeg

Still loads of wee stalls around Riyadh do this. Although we now have a chain here called London Shawarma - they are epic!

the general
9 hours ago, Henry. Henry. said:

Ali Baba at Haymarket/Dalry Road.    

Sadly no more

Ali has retired and it looks like no one has taken on the place yet

Papa Jaffers Ephesus on Great Junction Street by far and away the best place for a Kebab in Edinburgh, outstanding 

luckyBatistuta
On 15/05/2022 at 19:52, New Town Loafer said:

Have heard Marmaris on South Clerk Street (?) is very good. 

Would personally recommend Hajar’s Shawarma King on Leven Street, though.

Top drawer😋

You’ll always see loads of taxi drivers sitting in the Marmaris  too, a recommendation right there.

If you get a chance, you should try a YaYas... Juggernaut Hoagie, amazing 

4 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Top drawer😋

You’ll always see loads of taxi drivers sitting in the Marmaris  too, a recommendation right there.

If you get a chance, you should try a YaYas... Juggernaut Hoagie, amazing 

You're gonnae need a bigger taxi. Are you sure Juggernaut Hoagie isn't your new nickname. :D

On 15/05/2022 at 12:13, Herbert. said:

Javits do good kebabs, I live in Fife though and the quality is that bad here javits could be mediocre.

Shite I live up from it massively over rated the jubilee over from it isn’t the best either.

9 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

The corbi chippie does a decent chicken kebab.

DMains - got a Kebab pizza few years ago was alright from there. 

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

You're gonnae need a bigger taxi. Are you sure Juggernaut Hoagie isn't your new nickname. :D

:lol: