***** Official Heart of Midlothian v The Rangers Scottish Cup Final 2022 Match Thread *****

Jambos_1874

Jambo in Bathgate
18 hours ago, GBJambo said:

Atkinson is only young and still developing. Wasn’t his fault he was doubled up against 

He was playing against Kent and Bassa certainly wasn’t his fault. I also think he took a sore one early in the game. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iantjambo

• Don Dan

• Riccarton3

• Harry Potter

Jambo in Bathgate
1 hour ago, Berra than you said:

I've seen alot of talk about rangers doing us in the wide areas and doubling up on our full backs. Particularly Atkinson (probably cause defensively Cochrane coped a bit better so rangers went down our right). 

For me we gave up the wide areas to rangers, only pressing them when they reached our final third. For what it's worth it worked too. Rangers delivery was poor/we coped with most balls into our box well. The majority of their good chances in the 90 came from set plays. Their goals from second phase of a corner (some hit tbf) and a counter attack. 

There are aspects of the game to criticize neilson/the players for. Without the ball though I think we were solid and limited rangers well. In possession we weren't confident and looked panicked. Rangers made it difficult granted, but we needed to believe in ourselves a bit more.

Rangers have played cup tie football many times this season. It has worked well for them. Over 90 we did ok. The killer was lack of game changing substitutes. 

Pasquale for King
On 22/05/2022 at 03:28, Thumperbeni said:

I cannot believe nobody has picked up on how much of a pussy ginnelly is and his half hearted attempt at closing down jacks shot at goal which resulted in them scoring, the guy has the heart of a mouse and offered absolutely nada when he come on, Atkinson was torn to shreds all game and didn’t get any help when needed, we should have doubled up

on Kent when he was driving at Atkinson, to top it off it was Atkinson who ultimately made the mistake by cutting in and getting caught which lead to the killer second goal which ended the contest, souttar, Halkett and Gordon were immense today, apart from that it was just a feeble effort from us and we were easily beaten by the far better team, loads of players need shown the door and replaced as next season could be a long season for us and even more so with neilson in charge as we will never win anything with his mindset and him in charge !

You’re right about Ginnelly but if you watch the goal again Halkett stops going to the ball and ducks out the way of it for some reason. 

27 minutes ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

He was playing against Kent and Bassa certainly wasn’t his fault. I also think he took a sore one early in the game. 

Yep according to Devlin he was injured early 

On 22/05/2022 at 09:09, Ex member of the SaS said:

Haven't seen anyone moaning about the ref. Once again decisions further up the park influenced the result. A foul on Atkinson ignored in the run up to their first goal, and the two footed challenge on Boyce that was a clear red, given a yellow. Clear corner given as a goal kick is another point. It's hard enough to beat these teams but when we are also battling the officials it's clear we have no chance. Gollum was sure they were going to end with silver ware and had we won he would have had hoards at his door.

I'll quite legitimately have a moan.

Haring booked in the 4th minute thereby slightly affecting his robustness from then on. Not since 2008 has anyone been booked that early in a Scottish Cup Final (McCulloch v QotS). Maybe it was a fair enough booking? I can't recall. Often referees will - incorrectly, IMO - not punish someone depending upon when the offence occurs. He couldn't wait the stifle Haring's natural game, though.

No such yellow card for Rangers captain, of course. 3 fouls and a handball in the first half alone. Heaven forbid you should penalise the captain of the Rangers.

Plus the ones you've mentioned.

8 minutes ago, Boof said:

Haring booked in the 4th minute thereby slightly affecting his robustness from then on. Not since 2008 has anyone been booked that early in a Scottish Cup Final (McCulloch v QotS). Maybe it was a fair enough booking? I can't recall. Often referees will - incorrectly, IMO - not punish someone depending upon when the offence occurs. He couldn't wait the stifle Haring's natural game, though.

No such yellow card for Rangers captain, of course. 3 fouls and a handball in the first half alone. Heaven forbid you should penalise the captain of the Rangers.

A sevco this morning said they were playing against 12 men !

I shit you not !

🤷‍♂️

MR INCREDIBLE

I found it strange how the Sevco young team all managed to get tickets together behind the goals.

We we’re told tickets came out in random blocks from the SFA.

1 hour ago, Boof said:

Let’s just ignore the stonewall Rangers penalty he didnt give in the last minute and pretend Collum was complicit in us getting beat. Appears to make folk feel better so go for it.

heartsfc_fan
1 hour ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

I found it strange how the Sevco young team all managed to get tickets together behind the goals.

We we’re told tickets came out in random blocks from the SFA.

Celtic seem to get that aswell. I think it must be down to supporters groups getting first dibs on seats.

Either that or they all just congregate at the front.

On 22/05/2022 at 00:07, Aussie Jambo said:

Well hard to pause on the shot but two offside. One was on the wing so wasn’t effecting the play but as you can see one definitely was. 🤷‍♂️

79B6844C-1319-49FA-ABA1-78F04FE138F1.jpeg

DBFB614C-5058-402A-B358-6BEAC8E1F68D.jpeg

I wouldn’t want these type of goals ruled out for offside. It was a cracking strike. For me my biggest concern is why was he left unmarked?

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, McCrae said:

I wouldn’t want these type of goals ruled out for offside. It was a cracking strike. For me my biggest concern is why was he left unmarked?

That's a good point, we can't start having goals like that ruled off without good reason, it's no good for the game. Good goal, dirty hun *******.

Thumperbeni
8 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

You’re right about Ginnelly but if you watch the goal again Halkett stops going to the ball and ducks out the way of it for some reason. 

I can’t lay any of the blame at halkett because he would without doubt out his body on the line for us whereas ginnelly on the other hand definitely would not as he showed when he made his half hearted attempt at closing down jack. I just do not rate him at all, a headless chicken springs to mind !

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Thumperbeni said:

I can’t lay any of the blame at halkett because he would without doubt out his body on the line for us whereas ginnelly on the other hand definitely would not as he showed when he made his half hearted attempt at closing down jack. I just do not rate him at all, a headless chicken springs to mind !

He clearly didn’t on Saturday, he literally stopped moving towards the ball and then ducked out the way.
Ginnelly is a rough diamond who needs a lot of coaching and should be used as Hibs played Boyle to give us an out ball over the top. 

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, McCrae said:

Probably because the other ten were all in the box and they had two at the edge, only one person to blame for that. 

Thumperbeni
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

He clearly didn’t on Saturday, he literally stopped moving towards the ball and then ducked out the way.
Ginnelly is a rough diamond who needs a lot of coaching and should be used as Hibs played Boyle to give us an out ball over the top. 

Ginnelly is pony and nobody will convince me otherwise, yes he has pace but can’t even use it to his advantage as the majority of the time when he finds himself in a good position he has a brain freeze, has zero fight in him and for me a few goals doesn’t cut it, thinks he’s better than what he is as well !

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Probably because the other ten were all in the box and they had two at the edge, only one person to blame for that. 

The player tasked with watching for danger around the edge if the box, but switched off?

5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

A rough diamond that turns out to be a bit of Chinese plastic.  He's still better than GMS.

Bungalow Bill
2 minutes ago, Thumperbeni said:

Ginnelly is pony and nobody will convince me otherwise, yes he has pace but can’t even use it to his advantage as the majority of the time when he finds himself in a good position he has a brain freeze, has zero fight in him and for me a few goals doesn’t cut it, thinks he’s better than what he is as well !

Spot on. For me he should be bursting a gut for us. He’s not going to play at a higher level than this. League 2 beckons for Gino. He can strut about like a big time Charlie against the likes of Salford and Barrow. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, briever said:

A rough diamond that turns out to be a bit of Chinese plastic.  He's still better than GMS.

Yeah I was maybe being a bit nice to him but his pace is main asset and has to be utilised better imo. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Thumperbeni said:

I think he’s obviously a project but whether he’s getting the right coaching or not and doesn’t listen is up for discussion. 
Quite a few folk don’t see a player there but the manager does. 

10 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think he’s obviously a project but whether he’s getting the right coaching or not and doesn’t listen is up for discussion. 

Sometimes players will never develop regardless of coaching.

Bazzas right boot
18 hours ago, McCrae said:

I think if you're in the 6 yard box you are at  best a distraction and at worse in the keepers way. 

The offside rule is woolly in this regard. 

39 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I think if you're in the 6 yard box you are at  best a distraction and at worse in the keepers way. 

The offside rule is woolly in this regard. 

Agreed. I think the offside rule should only be applied only if it’s very obvious that an advantage has occurred. If it’s marginal,  benefit should be given to the attacking team. The drawing lines with VAR to check if some part of a players body is mm offside is a load of nonsense.

If we had scored this goal at the other end we would be furious if it had been ruled offside. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, McCrae said:

Agreed. I think the offside rule should only be applied only if it’s very obvious that an advantage has occurred. If it’s marginal,  benefit should be given to the attacking team. The drawing lines with VAR to check if some part of a players body is mm offside is a load of nonsense.

If we had scored this goal at the other end we would be furious if it had been ruled offside. 

Agreed and as it stands atm it's not offside. 

I'd make it more black and white, help out the officials a bit. 

Offside in the box is offside as you are interfering with play. 

Could make it the six yard box if the 18 yard box is too much of a large area. 

Easy to implement and removes all debate.

1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Agreed and as it stands atm it's not offside. 

I'd make it more black and white, help out the officials a bit. 

Offside in the box is offside as you are interfering with play. 

Could make it the six yard box if the 18 yard box is too much of a large area. 

Easy to implement and removes all debate.

I would like it to be their has to be clear daylight between a striker and a defender to be offside. If lines need to be drawn on a VAR monitor it shouldn’t be offside.

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, briever said:

Sometimes players will never develop regardless of coaching.

No doubt about that, hardly any of our players develop under this manager though. 

Unknown user
32 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

No doubt about that, hardly any of our players develop under this manager though. 

Away and don't talk shite

Bull's-eye
5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

He'd never post.

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Bull's-eye said:

He'd never post.

:laugh2: well me too

Edited by Smithee

On 23/05/2022 at 10:52, Jambo in Bathgate said:

It was clear for all to see that he was struggling with injury/ fitness.....but then he fitted in well with 2 or 3 others.

16 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

At one of the recent Shareholders Dinners where Frank McEvoy was a guest along with the SS guy McCunn they were talking about the players having access to a Psychologist if they wanted to speak with her. It was an entirely voluntary option for the players and I think that Ginnelly is the type of player that could benefit from working with someone like this.

I have watched him quite closely when he plays and he shows signs of lacking a confidenece in his ability a lot of the time.

Obviously we don't know what Robbie is actually asking him to do but I just feel he should be trying to take on his man more and run at defenders much more than he does.

His head seems to go down quite easily and I am sure this would improve with a bit more self belief.

Edited by wavydavy

Pasquale for King
43 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

At one of the recent Shareholders Dinners where Frank McEvoy was a guest along with the SS guy McCunn they were talking about the players having access to a Psychologist if they wanted to speak with her. It was an entirely voluntary option for the players and I think that Ginnelly is the type of player that could benefit from working with someone like this.

I have watched him quite closely when he plays and he shows signs of lacking a confidenece in his ability a lot of the time.

Obviously we don't know what Robbie is actually asking him to do but I just feel he should be trying to take on his man more and run at defenders much more than he does.

His head seems to go down quite easily and I am sure this would improve with a bit more self belief.

Definitely, quite a few players could do with this kind of help, I think Sean Clare benefitted from it in his latter spell with us. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Smithee said:

JKB would have about 6 threads and 20 posts on it if that was a thing. 🤔

Tbh, For him it's tantamount to a gagging order. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Gambo said:

It was clear for all to see that he was struggling with injury/ fitness.....but then he fitted in well with 2 or 3 others.

He should’ve been replaced around the 70 minute mark tbh, watched it again last night and the lack of subs when we were allowed 6 was bizarre considering quite a few were out in their feet. 

Ex member of the SaS
17 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

People are unfair to Ginnelly, he comes on with more than half the team defending and is expected to score every time he gets the ball. Simms up on his own didn't work but he doesn't get the pelters Ginnelly does. Not claiming they are in the same class just that people give some players time and space yet jump on others so quickly. If any players needs pelters it's GmcS. here is a player that was destined for great things and has never really delivered. But he and Ginnelly playing with the correct tactics and support would be completely different players.

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

People are unfair to Ginnelly, he comes on with more than half the team defending and is expected to score every time he gets the ball. Simms up on his own didn't work but he doesn't get the pelters Ginnelly does. Not claiming they are in the same class just that people give some players time and space yet jump on others so quickly. If any players needs pelters it's GmcS. here is a player that was destined for great things and has never really delivered. But he and Ginnelly playing with the correct tactics and support would be completely different players.

Agreed. 

Ex member of the SaS
1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

How many times on here have people stated that wingers are a confidence position? You can't gain confidence if there is no one there supporting you or ready to take a pass/ run into space. The mix match tactics is to blame for many of our poorer performances one game it's attack the next it's 5 defending. The game was lost simply due to wrong decisions, firstly playing the first team the week before and then playing defensive for most of the second half. We started well and would have tiered them out had we not sat back and allowed them to spray passes / owning their own half. The only way to get anything from a weegie team to to get in their faces and stop them playing. We obviously tired too quickly and for me that was partly down to the phycology of being beaten by under 18's the week before.

Ginnelly may not be the greatest but he shows enedeavour, had scored goals after coming in from nowhere and portrays more belief than others  he can do damage.    

A player on a wee bit form and he was left out 🤷🏻‍♂️  Every good Hearts team always had a rough diamond who could be called upon when others go off form. Just giving the basics and making opponents apprehensive. 

He should’ve started the final, imo.  

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

He should’ve been replaced around the 70 minute mark tbh, watched it again last night and the lack of subs when we were allowed 6 was bizarre considering quite a few were out in their feet. 

This

2 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

People's views on Ginnelly are based on the season, not just the final.

He's still better than that wage their GMS.

13 minutes ago, briever said:

This. Outside of McKay none of our so called creative players have offered anything befitting of a player playing for a side challenging at the top end of the table. Barely any assists between them and only a handful of goals. We can do so much better and hopefully this summer we'll see GMS moved on and Gino pushed into the reserves. We need much better talent in that area of the pitch.  

i wish jj was my dad
8 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Except Halkett, Cammy, Kingsley, Beni, Simms and Mckay. 

And previously Callum, Ozturk, Jamie W, Nicholson and Sow

No Idle Talk

I've had a couple of days to digest what happened on Saturday. This is what I have taken away from it.

First of all, it was a privilege to be at the match. Many people missed out and on several occasions throughout the day I thought about how fortunate I was to be there.

As for the match...........

I didn't like that we played 3-4-3. I felt beforehand that it would be a mistake to line up this way and I think the same in hindsight. That said, I feel that we did well in the first half. We only created one really good chance but we managed to do a decent job of stifling Rangers in the first half. At half time I felt it was a pretty even match. Which is a win for us.

The second half is where things began to come apart. Spaces began to open up and after an hour or so it looked like we began to tire. This was perhaps to be expected given how many players in our team were some way below 100% match fit going into the final. The fact that we couldn't press Rangers as well as we had been doing in the first half allowed Rangers to dominate possession and they began to create chances. For the last fifteen minutes we were hanging on by our fingernails. 

Extra time was just a continuation of the last fifteen minutes of normal time. Rangers dominated possession and we never looked like scoring. It was pretty miserable to watch. The better team on the day won. I don't think any Hearts fan can reasonably argue with that.

My final thought is for our supporters. I thought our fans were outstanding on Saturday. The tifo before the match was fantastic and we outsung the Rangers support all the way up until their first goal went in. I think the tremendous backing the players got from our fans must have kept them going in that second half when they were running out of steam. We couldn't have done any more than we did. The Hearts fans showed up on Saturday. Just as I knew we would. 

It was a sore one to take on Saturday. Losing cup finals is always hard. I felt quite emotional and drained by the final whistle. But I feel confident it won't be long before we are back on that stage again. Next time..........

6 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

I've had a couple of days to digest what happened on Saturday. This is what I have taken away from it.

First of all, it was a privilege to be at the match. Many people missed out and on several occasions throughout the day I thought about how fortunate I was to be there.

As for the match...........

I didn't like that we played 3-4-3. I felt beforehand that it would be a mistake to line up this way and I think the same in hindsight. That said, I feel that we did well in the first half. We only created one really good chance but we managed to do a decent job of stifling Rangers in the first half. At half time I felt it was a pretty even match. Which is a win for us.

The second half is where things began to come apart. Spaces began to open up and after an hour or so it looked like we began to tire. This was perhaps to be expected given how many players in our team were some way below 100% match fit going into the final. The fact that we couldn't press Rangers as well as we had been doing in the first half allowed Rangers to dominate possession and they began to create chances. For the last fifteen minutes we were hanging on by our fingernails. 

Extra time was just a continuation of the last fifteen minutes of normal time. Rangers dominated possession and we never looked like scoring. It was pretty miserable to watch. The better team on the day won. I don't think any Hearts fan can reasonably argue with that.

My final thought is for our supporters. I thought our fans were outstanding on Saturday. The tifo before the match was fantastic and we outsung the Rangers support all the way up until their first goal went in. I think the tremendous backing the players got from our fans must have kept them going in that second half when they were running out of steam. We couldn't have done any more than we did. The Hearts fans showed up on Saturday. Just as I knew we would. 

It was a sore one to take on Saturday. Losing cup finals is always hard. I felt quite emotional and drained by the final whistle. But I feel confident it won't be long before we are back on that stage again. Next time..........

Need to keep knocking at the door.

As disappointing as losing a final is, you can't win it if you are not in it,  it's generally a money spinner in region of £1m and if we are in it, hopefully there is less chance of Hibs being there.

Same goes for the League Cup.

Seaside Dave
1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

Need to keep knocking at the door.

As disappointing as losing a final is, you can't win it if you are not in it,  it's generally a money spinner in region of £1m and if we are in it, hopefully there is less chance of Hibs being there.

Same goes for the League Cup.

1 mil for reaching or winning Scottish cup ? Didn't think it was anywhere near that up in Scotland 

13 hours ago, briever said:

Ginnelly and GMS are as bad as each other. The swagger and the arrogance on Ginnelly face when comes on 🫢

Im not sticking up for GMS he is crap too I’d be happy to see the pair of them leave in the summer.  I’m not wanting Forrest or RCC either but if they both were at Hearts they would give more than them two give and probably on a lot less wages too.