***** Official Heart of Midlothian v The Rangers Scottish Cup Final 2022 Match Thread *****

Jambos_1874

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

Mods, I think it would be a good idea if posters had to serve an apprenticeship before their posts are published. Might I suggest at least 273 posts.

It was a sensible post. Instead of taking a cheap shot at the guy, how about giving us your infinite wisdom?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iantjambo

• Don Dan

• Riccarton3

• Harry Potter

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, ramrod said:

Defensively sound but not much in the last 3rd .

Need to add quality up top but decent  quality cost a lot of  money and we don't have a lot of money unfortunately. 

Rangers squad just to strong for us on the day .

Nothing in the middle 3rd either unfortunately, not in an attacking sense anyway.  

Let’s be honest we’re very much a work in progress.  Decent spine to the team but important transfer window coming up, need to strengthen some positions as well as replace Souttar, probably Simms, upgrade on Boyce and replacement for Gordon soon.  

With at least 8 European games guaranteed, next season will be tough and history tells us we’ll do well to finish 3rd again next season. 

4 hours ago, HartleyLegend3 said:

Where should hearts finish in the league? 

Should Hearts be making cup finals?  

Robbie is "NOT" taking Hearts to the next level.  So he isn't a good manager. He's bang average at best. 

What worries me is we seem to be interested in Shankland, would he have been any better for us today had we already signed him? 

Edited by dustybin

HeartsandonlyHearts

Hope Newco players and fans enjoy the open topped bus ride through the city tomorrow.

A tiny bit of good news.  Bassey, who was trenendous, cost them nothing.  Maybe we can find some clones of him next month.

HeartsandonlyHearts
3 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Facts they didn't even have a full team on the pitch morelos, they had Jack etc on the bench. 

They played a midfielder upfront and still looked more dangerous, does the manager take no accountability? 

Away and bile yer heid

You haven’t been on here for weeks 

But this you live for

Yet again Neilson splits the Hearts support so if you chose to like him or not the fact that we couldn't even muster one shot on target in 120 minutes of football is nothing short of a disgrace. Neilson will be at Tynecastle next season whether you like it or not. I personally think I'd rather see a more adventurous manager. 

Naisys Tackle
8 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

You there?

Yeah I was.  Interesting question though as I don't read you asking any other poster similarly?  Sorry for the late reply, just catching up mate. 

Naisys Tackle
26 minutes ago, Boris5115 said:

Yet again Neilson splits the Hearts support so if you chose to like him or not the fact that we couldn't even muster one shot on target in 120 minutes of football is nothing short of a disgrace. Neilson will be at Tynecastle next season whether you like it or not. I personally think I'd rather see a more adventurous manager. 

We had two clear cut chances to hit the target and score.

Not a chance we sack Neilson.  I'm actually confident like the team he's progressing in his managerial journey.   Why gamble and risk replace him with someone else?   Aberdeen and Hibs have just appointed guys who don't nearly as capable management wise as Robbie.  

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Just poor and disappointing, didn’t do anything we needed to do to score goals or stop them from playing. Dead balls absolutely awful and no sub or system change made any difference. 
Savage needs to find us about six better quality players than we currently have. 

Tends to sum it all up.

Aussie Jambo

I’m just up. Slept for shit even though I was pished. 

How was Jacks goal allowed? 

I’m pretty sure 3 Rangers players were clearly offside when he scored. Gordon ran to linesman screaming then tried to get that baldy SFA pricks attention but he was already running away. If we used VAR in this game like we should have then that goal would be disallowed. I’m sure 2 offside players were in front of Gordon? I was so proud of the boys. Gave it everything. Simms let me down for some serious coin. Shit way to lose bug happened to the cheeks midweek. Feels shit that’s for sure. We need to heavily invest in strikers and midfield strikers next season. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
5 hours ago, Abiola Dauda said:

Boyce for Halliday lost us this game. Pathetic scared substitution. Pathetic 

Boyce was injured FFS

Jesus. Engage your brain.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
4 hours ago, OmiyaHearts said:

There's no defence for how shit we were today. Blame it on who you want. Both players and coaches failed us

Injuries is a defence. Players not fully fit maybe.

Youd have been calm if Sibbick and Moore had started and we lost 3-0 in 90 minutes I presume?

Sort yourself our mate.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Tom Hardy’s Dug
4 minutes ago, Aussie Jambo said:

I’m just up. Slept for shit even though I was pished. 

How was Jacks goal allowed? 

I’m pretty sure 3 Rangers players were clearly offside when he scored. Gordon ran to linesman screaming then tried to get that baldy SFA pricks attention but he was already running away. If we used VAR in this game like we should have then that goal would be disallowed. I’m sure 2 offside players were in front of Gordon? I was so proud of the boys. Gave it everything. Simms let me down for some serious coin. Shit way to lose bug happened to the cheeks midweek. Feels shit that’s for sure. We need to heavily invest in strikers and midfield strikers next season. 

I didn’t see the offside(s) to be honest on the replays. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
29 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

We had two clear cut chances to hit the target and score.

Not a chance we sack Neilson.  I'm actually confident like the team he's progressing in his managerial journey.   Why gamble and risk replace him with someone else?   Aberdeen and Hibs have just appointed guys who don't nearly as capable management wise as Robbie.  

Nope - we should follow the Hibs and Aberdeen model. It’s working brilliantly.

Lets fire the only manager that has had us 3rd in the league twice in a generation because because wobble wobble wobble wobble well just because he lost to Brora.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

LochcarronJambo

I am just home, whilst bitterly disappointed, I thought the Hearts support was incredible today, done the club proud…the team well .. we were at it in first half but faded in second half , but somehow still thought we could have snatched it, effort was great, guile wasn’t there…..wouldn’t swap us for a bunch of grotesque sectarian abhorrent filth of an institution that the scum of Rangers are, with their vile songs & sectarian red hand of ulsters & union flags - I am so glad I support a Scottish team , always have …anyway congratulations must go to the backing we gave the team

OmiyaHearts
24 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Injuries is a defence. Players not fully fit maybe.

Youd have been calm if Sibbick and Moore had started and we lost 3-0 in 90 minutes I presume?

Sort yourself our mate.

Just thought our full strength team let us down. Head coach bottled it, as expected. Nothing more than that.

Edited by OmiyaHearts

Tom Hardy’s Dug
Just now, OmiyaHearts said:

Just thought our full strength team let us down. Head coach bottled it, es expected. Nothing more than that.

How did the head coach bottle it?

He played our best players although they were not quite fully fit? If you do that you have to compromise something, no?

Or do you expect Souttar to run out from defence for 120 minutes without having had a game for 2 months?

Aussie Jambo
22 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I didn’t see the offside(s) to be honest on the replays. 

I’m pretty sure at least 3 players were offside, just about to watch again. As I said I was nuggets last night but I’m positive 3 were offside hence Gordon’s reaction. . But with our obvious injuries they were outstanding. If that was a league game it’s 0-0 and a point for us against the ugly sisters. But at the end it was like watching a pro boxer losing his legs and taking a walloping after that goal. Definitely need some proven goalscorers and midfield players that’ll have a shot. The future is good my fellow Jambos. Be proud. 3rd and Beaton extratime. It’s shit but that’s Fitba. Can’t wait to see who we bring in and who goes. 

Aussie Jambo

Well hard to pause on the shot but two offside. One was on the wing so wasn’t effecting the play but as you can see one definitely was. 🤷‍♂️

79B6844C-1319-49FA-ABA1-78F04FE138F1.jpeg

DBFB614C-5058-402A-B358-6BEAC8E1F68D.jpeg

tiger Rudi

Before the game I was routing for Haring, Devlin & Halliday to start. Keep it tight in midfield. How wrong was I, we were at our weakest when they were all on the pitch together today. Praying we can dig up a Colin Cameron or similar from somewhere, our midfield offers nothing going forward. Devlin & Haring both try to do the same role. The formation playing 3 at the back needs to have two quality wing backs to function well. We don't have that I'm afraid. Maybe a back 4 needed, using Kingsley as a traditional left back. 

Thumperbeni

I cannot believe nobody has picked up on how much of a pussy ginnelly is and his half hearted attempt at closing down jacks shot at goal which resulted in them scoring, the guy has the heart of a mouse and offered absolutely nada when he come on, Atkinson was torn to shreds all game and didn’t get any help when needed, we should have doubled up

on Kent when he was driving at Atkinson, to top it off it was Atkinson who ultimately made the mistake by cutting in and getting caught which lead to the killer second goal which ended the contest, souttar, Halkett and Gordon were immense today, apart from that it was just a feeble effort from us and we were easily beaten by the far better team, loads of players need shown the door and replaced as next season could be a long season for us and even more so with neilson in charge as we will never win anything with his mindset and him in charge !

I was very impressed with the attitude and determination of Atkinson but not his skill level.  I hope he can continue to improve.

The only penetrating run through the midfield was John Souttar and that was just the once.  That's the area where I think we have to massively improve.

SpruceBringsteen

Switched on the BBC before kickoff, saw an interview with Halliday - not about HMFC - but smooching the farter of "Tav".

Didn't watch the game, knew there was zero point. 

Aye no much to add. They seemed to physically grow over us as the game went on. Second half was a tough slog but when God got his left foot to that shot in the last minute I was starting to dream again, foolishly as it turned out. They blew us out the water in the first half of extra time and that was that. 

They made the pitch huge for Hearts and the gaps between the lines was getting bigger and bigger, as we got deeper the ball had no chance of sticking when we cleared or tried channel balls, it offered us little respite. I understand a few fitness issues but we seemed just off it from quite early to miles of it in extra time. 

Shite day, brilliant season..........onwards to euro group fitbaw

14 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

On the bright side in last two cup finals against old firm they couldn’t beat us in 90 mins - we used to lose by 3 or 4 and over by half time 

we have got a bit closer 

Yes, we've come a long way in less than two years, a long way since Brora Rangers. With five or six regulars fit and match sharp we might have been able to compete in the second half. Next season, with the attraction of 8 European games we should attract more high caliber players to complement what Robbie and Joe Savage have brought in so far. Onwards and upwards!

1 hour ago, Chong said:

Aye no much to add. They seemed to physically grow over us as the game went on. Second half was a tough slog but when God got his left foot to that shot in the last minute I was starting to dream again, foolishly as it turned out. They blew us out the water in the first half of extra time and that was that. 

They made the pitch huge for Hearts and the gaps between the lines was getting bigger and bigger, as we got deeper the ball had no chance of sticking when we cleared or tried channel balls, it offered us little respite. I understand a few fitness issues but we seemed just off it from quite early to miles of it in extra time. 

Pretty much agree. It was quite astonishing that WE were the ones to run out of steam, and it was half way through the second half it started to show. We lost any threat and shape we had when Boyce went off and we were very lucky to even take it to extra time. Our only hope then was penalties as nothing we had on the bench had any impact. 

Still, a pretty good season and a bucketful of cash coming our way to improve the squad.

I’d question what we are doing fitness and stamina wise and maybe in hindsight our build up with no meaningful games actually didn’t help us. We also had several players who weren’t 100% or even close to it and not just the ones who had been out. Simms for example had 45 minutes in him and ground to a halt second half.

Edited by JimmyCant

Ex member of the SaS

Haven't seen anyone moaning about the ref. Once again decisions further up the park influenced the result. A foul on Atkinson ignored in the run up to their first goal, and the two footed challenge on Boyce that was a clear red, given a yellow. Clear corner given as a goal kick is another point. It's hard enough to beat these teams but when we are also battling the officials it's clear we have no chance. Gollum was sure they were going to end with silver ware and had we won he would have had hoards at his door.

Ex member of the SaS
9 hours ago, Aussie Jambo said:

I’m pretty sure at least 3 players were offside, just about to watch again. As I said I was nuggets last night but I’m positive 3 were offside hence Gordon’s reaction. . But with our obvious injuries they were outstanding. If that was a league game it’s 0-0 and a point for us against the ugly sisters. But at the end it was like watching a pro boxer losing his legs and taking a walloping after that goal. Definitely need some proven goalscorers and midfield players that’ll have a shot. The future is good my fellow Jambos. Be proud. 3rd and Beaton extratime. It’s shit but that’s Fitba. Can’t wait to see who we bring in and who goes. 

Players offside at a shot are not counted unless there is a clear block on the keeper. As far as I could see it was our own players who blocked Craig's sight of the ball.

davemclaren
2 hours ago, Chong said:

Good summary. 

9 hours ago, Aussie Jambo said:

Well hard to pause on the shot but two offside. One was on the wing so wasn’t effecting the play but as you can see one definitely was. 🤷‍♂️

Screenshot_20220522-094455_Twitter.thumb.jpg.f135e13c8d656c45c8354f543add0f61.jpg

I don't really think he is interfering with play

The Internet

That's not interfering with play, not offside for me. 

As an aside there was a guy just inside the turnstiles before the game in the North stand who seemed to be struggling on the ground, heavy breathing and grasping his chest. Quite a few folk round him so I didn't stop but wondered if he's OK if anyone knows? 

1 hour ago, Walrus said:

Screenshot_20220522-094455_Twitter.thumb.jpg.f135e13c8d656c45c8354f543add0f61.jpg

I don't really think he is interfering with play

Was it Bill Shankly who said, "If you're not interfering with play, you shouldn't be on the pitch."

6 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Switched on the BBC before kickoff, saw an interview with Halliday - not about HMFC - but smooching the farter of "Tav".

That's the spirit...

Atkinson should be let go after yesterday’s performance. Awful , his fault for giving away corner for first and lost it for the second. Kent had him on toast all game. Terrible 

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
8 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

I want him out of the club tbh. He's a good lad but he's just an average player who is too involved still with West Coast football. 

We need a massive clear out of all the players who shite it against the old firm. 

We need to go back to getting a blend of good experienced older Scottish players, foreign scouted talent and youth prospects. That's the formula which has always brought hearts success recently. 

None of this English loanee p**h, irsh, Welsh players..who know far too much about the old firm. 

upgotheheads
1 hour ago, maroon said:

Atkinson should be let go after yesterday’s performance. Awful , his fault for giving away corner for first and lost it for the second. Kent had him on toast all game. Terrible 

Kent has had players from some of the best teams in Europe on toast this season.

jambopilms

Though Atkinson didn't get any help he was awful again, seemed like a youth player out of his depth, same against Celtic. If they want the ball just they just have to wait till Atkinson gets it because he will give it up almost everytime, never wins a 50/50 because he is so weak in the tackle.

2 hours ago, maroon said:

The lad looked heavy legged, that’s nerves.  Normally he’s quite sharp and reasonably pacey.

It takes a decent amount of time for players to develop to a certain level but there’s still no indication he’s learning when to stop putting the team under pressure with wrong decisions in possession.  You should be seeing snippets of improvement by now.  

jambopilms
3 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

The lad looked heavy legged, that’s nerves.  Normally he’s quite sharp and reasonably pacey.

It takes a decent amount of time for players to develop to a certain level but there’s still no indication he’s learning when to stop putting the team under pressure with wrong decisions in possession.  You should be seeing snippets of improvement by now.  

Must be one of the worst right backs in the league and I think we will be looking to move him on before the end of his contract.

Edited by jambopilms

maroonlegions
14 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Though Atkinson didn't get any help he was awful again, seemed like a youth player out of his depth, same against Celtic. If they want the ball just they just have to wait till Atkinson gets it because he will give it up almost everytime, never wins a 50/50 because he is so weak in the tackle.

Thats what i have noticed about him , weak in the tackle, easily brushed off the ball. And is often caught on the wrong side of an attacker. Other managers will be sussing this out though. Its a worry.

jambopilms
8 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Thats what i have noticed about him , weak in the tackle, easily brushed off the ball. And is often caught on the wrong side of an attacker. Other managers will be sussing this out though. Its a worry.

I think they already have , a bit of pressure he is losing the ball, every single game. It's just the fact that many teams don't have the quality to punish it gets us off the hook. 

I got grief for this statement before Jamie Brandon was a better defender than him. I would happily swap him for a bog standard SPFL RB like Richard Tait or similar.

16 hours ago, Aussie Jambo said:

With Lundstrom and Jack both notorious from distance why the **** was Gino not man marking Jack smh. 

3 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Kent has had players from some of the best teams in Europe on toast this season.

👍👍 exactly.  Yet some expect us to have better 🤣 than some of Europe’s biggest clubs. Some like / enjoy nothing better than sticking the boot in. He’s a young lad. Really poor patter for me. The lad was brought in and will develop. 

Those expecting us to play a ready made Rolls Royce on the right maybe should lower their expectations, or pony up the £30m or whatever

davidjambo51
8 hours ago, Jurek said:

Was it Bill Shankly who said, "If you're not interfering with play, you shouldn't be on the pitch."

Brian Clough 

Spellczech
17 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

I'm sure Robbie has noticed as it was his position. Hopefully he'll do strength work over the summer and improve/adapt. He's still young.

16 hours ago, GBJambo said:

Atkinson is only young and still developing. Wasn’t his fault he was doubled up against 

We should have preempted this to an extent. Exactly the same happened when they hammered us at Ibrox earlier in the season.

Berra than you
15 minutes ago, Mort said:

We should have preempted this to an extent. Exactly the same happened when they hammered us at Ibrox earlier in the season.

I've seen alot of talk about rangers doing us in the wide areas and doubling up on our full backs. Particularly Atkinson (probably cause defensively Cochrane coped a bit better so rangers went down our right). 

For me we gave up the wide areas to rangers, only pressing them when they reached our final third. For what it's worth it worked too. Rangers delivery was poor/we coped with most balls into our box well. The majority of their good chances in the 90 came from set plays. Their goals from second phase of a corner (some hit tbf) and a counter attack. 

There are aspects of the game to criticize neilson/the players for. Without the ball though I think we were solid and limited rangers well. In possession we weren't confident and looked panicked. Rangers made it difficult granted, but we needed to believe in ourselves a bit more.