***** Official Heart of Midlothian v The Rangers Scottish Cup Final 2022 Match Thread *****

Jambos_1874

Hearts1975
1 minute ago, Abiola Dauda said:

Ginnelly against a tired Bassey or Halliday on the RW and sit back?

Not one of our players got the better of bassey' today. The only way we would have done that was to get ginnelly in behind and bassey' would have struggled to beat him for pace 

That's when you need players that can hold the ball up in their half 

We only have 2 players that can do it 

Boyce and Simms 

Boyce is clearly struggling - he comes off 

Rangers put 2 players on Simms. Game over 

We can't get out of our half. If we break out of our half rather than using the outball and then lose the ball there are big gaps behind us where they were ripping us apart on the flanks 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iantjambo

• Don Dan

• Riccarton3

• Harry Potter

Our game plan was punt the ball to Simms and hope for the best.  We’ve been shite for the past month so todays outcome was expected.  Also our squad depth is ducking woeful

Bongo 1874
2 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Yes , sore but proud.

don’t follow hearts for the glory, that’s for sure!

Did you go to the game today? 

Geoff Kilpatrick
5 minutes ago, Kxf51 said:

Souter played well but I'm struggling to praise him, he done the dirty on us, there's there's no doubt about that. Do you really think he gives a shit about hearts, I don't think so,.

He gave more of a shit in that match than some of the dross who will still be picking up a wage from us next season.

4 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

Rubbish.

Hearts didn't even know he was speaking to rangers, 

Bongo 1874
4 minutes ago, ...andFulton'sBaggio said:

You're either stupid or a troll, or both. I'll go for both 👍

By the way, hijacking a cup final thread on cup final day makes you selfish as ****

In you're opinion but I felt Rangers weren't at there best today infact i think they were poor. 

jambopilms

When playing better teams you have to take your chances when they come, we didn't do that. Unlikely we would have held on but when a chance come like it did you have to take it.

Riccarton3
1 minute ago, Badonde said:

Our game plan was punt the ball to Simms and hope for the best.  We’ve been shite for the past month so todays outcome was expected.  Also our squad depth is ducking woeful

Quite a lot of positives came from that first half as Boyce especially wss feeding off it. Hence, almost scored. Hope for the best has that sort of complete negativity about it. Unintentional, I am sure. Boyce having to go off changed a lot. 

Wasn’t a great game. We were decent first half but after that it was mostly Rangers and we were a bit lucky to get as far as extra time.

Once Boyce went off we had nothing left, no shape and no threat and by the 75th minute we were dead on our feet and unable to get out.

Id question our fitness and obviously our bench wasn’t strong enough to change the game. Can’t really complain about anything else so we fix what’s short and we move onwards and upwards 

No complaints about being beaten. They were better than us. Over it already.

Leveins Battalion

90 minutes in,Hearts end bouncing and chance to swing in a quality corner to put some pressure on.

Nah we’ll just float it into McLaughlins hands unchallenged.

Criminal,set prices were shite all game.

Riccarton3
9 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I see it differently 👍

That's plenty. 

That's a great argument you put up there. 

Bongo 1874
2 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

That's a great argument you put up there. 

What's to argue about you are set in you're ways, in complete denial that we didn't have a shot on target within 120 mins of football. 

RANGERS ARE THE GREATEST ACCORDING TO YOU AND A FEW OTHERS. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

Riccarton3
2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Wasn’t a great game. We were decent first half but after that it was mostly Rangers and we were a bit lucky to get as far as extra time.

Once Boyce went off we had nothing left, no shape and no threat and by the 75th minute we were dead on our feet and unable to get out.

Id question our fitness and obviously our bench wasn’t strong enough to change the game. Can’t really complain about anything else so we fix what’s short and we move onwards and upwards 

I'm thinking Grinnelly for Boyce meaning g the Rangers back lot still have McKay AND Ginnnelly to deal with. Just one breakaway might have seen something. It is a cup final after all. As it is Halliday was pretty non existent in possession and marginally better out of it?

Otherwise, I can't see what else end RN could have done.

3 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Rangers looked fresher. Obviously, they have better players but from our angle, what was the thought process to try and get the best from what WE could give?

Im going to repeat it. I worried the minute Neilson said earlier in the season after a defeat he wouldn’t change the way we play. 

That meant he wasn’t adaptable or wouldn’t be.  Maybe we just didn’t have the personel either mind you?  But that comes back to squad building too. 

Bongo 1874
Just now, Riccarton3 said:

I'm thinking Grinnelly for Boyce meaning g the Rangers back lot still have McKay AND Ginnnelly to deal with. Just one breakaway might have seen something. It is a cup final after all. As it is Halliday was pretty non existent in possession and marginally better out of it?

You don't think Robbie could of matched Rangers, and went 433  instead of this 523 pish allowing Rangers to have possession!? 

Clueless 🙄🤔

No complaints about RN really. I don’t think he wanted us to sit in for the last half hour. We just couldn’t get out. We didn’t get enough good performances. We needed virtually a full set. We had a few who didn’t perform and we got zero from the bench

Riccarton3
7 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

What's to argue about you are set in you're ways, in complete denial that we didn't have a shot on target within 120 mins of football. 

RANGERS ARE THE GREATEST ACCORDING TO YOU AND A FEW OTHERS. 

No, exaggeration again for effect. Do you see the pattern of your posts?

I haven't denied anything as it happens. On.the few occasions we looked close to creating an opportunity we never got a shot away. That seems to be bottling it according to you. Some argument.

Edited by Riccarton3

Bongo 1874

No, exaggeration again for effect. Do you see the pattern of your posts?

I haven't denied anything as it happens. On.the few occasions we looked close to creating an opportunity we never got a shot away. That seems to be googling it according to you. Some argument.

Do you see you're denial? 

Bongo 1874
Just now, doctor jambo said:

Yes, I did

So you went in the hope Hearts would win? 

But you don't go or follow for glory? 

OmiyaHearts

There's no defence for how shit we were today. Blame it on who you want. Both players and coaches failed us

OmiyaHearts

There's no defence for how shit we were today. Blame it on who you want. Both players and coaches failed us

12 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

90 minutes in,Hearts end bouncing and chance to swing in a quality corner to put some pressure on.

Nah we’ll just float it into McLaughlins hands unchallenged.

Criminal,set prices were shite all game.

That was one thing that did annoy me about today, we really need to work on our set pieces and taking corners as a team next season as they are so poor, or maybe we need to recruit a couple of players that can actually put decent balls in the box from corners/free kicks etc 

On my home on a train full of them back to Kilmarnock. They have a superior squad and if we had been too adventurous then they would have picked us off earlier. Thought we did well in spells and Cammy did brilliantly. On to next season and looking forward to seeing who we bring in over the summer.

Riccarton3
5 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

You don't think Robbie could of matched Rangers, and went 433  instead of this 523 pish allowing Rangers to have possession!? 

Clueless 🙄🤔

352 Where is this midfield that could have worked? The three that finished the game after a positive first half and formation? Halliday, Haring and Devlin?

11 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Clueless 🙄🤔

Have

It was a bad day today, but overall a good season.

We need to look forward now to a European adventure and hopefully some decent signings arriving over the next few weeks.

JamboGraham

It looked pretty obvious that the injuries and niggles really had taken their toll. Unfortunately that balanced out any potential benefit from Wednesday night. The Haring booking was a killer, took the edge of his play. Just shame we couldn't take that early chance, it possibly changes the game. Being so careless with our set pieces was our undoing though, we just never applied any real pressure.

Unfortunately they simply have better players and in the end we were fortunate to take it to extra time. I don't think the boys could have worked any harder, they were just well beaten by a stronger side. I think we all felt it in the crowd as well, I don't think I have ever heard us as quiet at Hampden.

Not a final that will linger long in the memory.

No shame losing to a much better team but rangers weren't firing on all cylinders and we still didn't lay a glove on them. Very disappointing.

Bongo 1874
16 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

352 Where is this midfield that could have worked? The three that finished the game after a positive first half and formation? Halliday, Haring and Devlin?

Sibbick, Halliday, Haring, Devlin, Mceneff, we didn't have any midfield options? 

doctor jambo
21 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

So you went in the hope Hearts would win? 

But you don't go or follow for glory? 

Nope, I went to be with my “tribe”.

The rough, even rougher and occasional high.

as my family have done for generations and as my kids do now .

If I wanted glory, I’d follow an English side, or the OF.

I don’t .

I go in hope, as an underdog , praying for a major upset.

Im ok about today now.

Opening whisky and settling to watch a film.

Bongo 1874
Just now, doctor jambo said:

Nope, I went to be with my “tribe”.

The rough, even rougher and occasional high.

as my family have done for generations and as my kids do now .

If I wanted glory, I’d follow an English side, or the OF.

I don’t .

I go in hope, as an underdog , praying for a major upset.

Im ok about today now.

Opening whisky and settling to watch a film.

I can take getting beat but not when we don't even lay a glove on them 👍

The Mercer Takeover

Don't really know what to make of it just now.

Bringing on Halliday to play right midfield  was a truly shocking decision and ended our cup final. This is on Neilson.

Barry McKay chose today to put in his worst performance in a maroon jersey. He was a passenger and really should have been hooked at half time.

Devlin wasn't bad but just lacked game time.

Cochrane and Atkinson got a bit of a roasting which was disappointing.

Gordon, Souttar & Halkett were all fantastic.

Bottom line, no shots on goal in 120 minutes is unacceptable.

We will win nothing with Neilson in charge, although 3rd in the league is about the best most of us would realistically expect. That's the conundrum. He likes percentage football and that is what we get served up. It doesn't win finals.

Thankfully summer holidays are not far away.

Ginnelly, Mackay-Steven, McEneff, Sibbick all need punted, with Woodburn no longer needed. I have faith in Savage, less so Neilson

doctor jambo
6 minutes ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

Bringing on Halliday to play right midfield  was a truly shocking decision and ended our cup final. This is on Neilson.

Barry McKay chose today to put in his worst performance in a maroon jersey. He was a passenger and really should have been hooked at half time.

We will win nothing with Neilson in charge, although 3rd in the league is about the best most of us would realistically expect. That's the conundrum. He likes percentage football and that is what we get served up. It doesn't win finals.

Ginnelly, Mackay-Steven, McEneff, Sibbick all need punted, with Woodburn no longer needed. I have faith in Savage, less so Neilson

There is no way Atkinson was living with Kent.

No way anyone was beating bassey.

Boyce was really good until he went off .

Our star Beningime is a major , major loss.

He played its different gravy.

We played a full strength rangers team ( apart from Morelos ) and lasted 90 mins 

heartsfc_fan

Just home.

Apart from a wee flurry in the first half we weren't at it. Barely made them break sweat.

Souttar had a decent last game a d Gordon was solid but apart from that no real stsndouts.

We really need 2 or 3 strikers in the summer. Looking to the bench and we had very few options that would change a match up top.

Their running and movement and also their skills and understanding were phenomenal.  Absolute knickers down spanking from HT.  

jambopilms

I think the plan worked in that we kept them out, not many have done that. Where it went wrong was not taking the one chance we got in the first half. Score that then we are looking at a 98 type game.

We were running on fumes in extra time but to be fair the lack of game time some have had then done better than I expected.

Fact is the last team to beat the old firm at Hampden was us in 98. (Not including Hibs as Rangers were not the team they normally are)

upgotheheads
14 minutes ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

Mods, I think it would be a good idea if posters had to serve an apprenticeship before their posts are published. Might I suggest at least 273 posts.

Pasquale for King
On 20/05/2022 at 18:16, PaddysBar said:

Agree Mr H. (Your old porty mate DMcS here). 

Took a voluntary break from JKB but had to rejoin in the run up to the cup final! Just wish Willie the conk was running the line!

Let’s do this Hearts!

Yeah hadn’t seen you on here for a while old friend, shame it wasn’t a better day mate. 

Pasquale for King
On 20/05/2022 at 18:02, ArcticJambo said:

Looks like a gers tie too! :gfy:

Seems there’s a few kicking about. 

D1B537CE-E529-439E-A3E8-9F5AB824C4E0.jpeg

Defensively sound but not much in the last 3rd .

Need to add quality up top but decent  quality cost a lot of  money and we don't have a lot of money unfortunately. 

Rangers squad just to strong for us on the day .

3 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

There is no way Atkinson was living with Kent.

No way anyone was beating bassey.

Boyce was really good until he went off .

Our star Beningime is a major , major loss.

He played its different gravy.

We played a full strength rangers team ( apart from Morelos ) and lasted 90 mins 

Yep, overpowered (particularly in midfield) by a much stronger team with quality across the park and on the bench.  Gutted right now…
Gordon and souttar outstanding

many others tried really hard but were ineffectual.  slating guys like Atkinson to me seems bloody harsh -  I thought he maxed out on effort but it was just too big an ask - and he got some tough treatment at times too. Add to that many key players clearly not back to full strength after injuries plus our best midfielder still out.  I think we need a striker and obviously a quality defender to somehow replace Souttar plus a strong attacking midfielder…
after the dust settles, we’ve got a lot to be proud of- fan owned, third place after coming up, Europe, a club in great shape and moving forwards in ways our opponents aren’t when a few years ago we were almost out of existence!

keep the faith jambos 

1 hour ago, Chillidigits said:

Thought after a good first half our game plan must now be to press them higher and force mistakes . I expected our energy levels to exceed theirs as the game went on and at least create a few chances . How wrong was I. Their keeper had no efforts to save in the whole 120 minutes. Never at any time did we do any effective pressing which IMO you MUST do to the OF. Sadly we got what we deserved.

We did keep their keeper warmed up by letting him jump and catch the ball at several set pieces though.

Pasquale for King

Just poor and disappointing, didn’t do anything we needed to do to score goals or stop them from playing. Dead balls absolutely awful and no sub or system change made any difference. 
Savage needs to find us about six better quality players than we currently have. 

They say misery loves company, I feel much better catching up on this thread and seeing there are some even more disappointed than me! We did nothing against the OF all season and I really didn't expect anything but a loss today, the first half gave me some hope however but in the end it was just another loss!

heartgarfunkel

The preparations, tactics, execution and modification were a total and utter failure.  That was a disgrace, and an embarrassment at best to the reputations of our leaders and tacticians.  An utter capitulation.   James IV did better at Flodden in that he left a name for himself as a foolhardy but immensely brave and bold leader.  That was a load of absalut shitebaggery the day.  Embarrassed at Hearts playing like that in a cup final.

Gordon and Soapy played very well but the rest let us down today,we are on the right path though and some decent additions over the summer and hopefully we’ll get back to hampden next season.