***** Official Heart of Midlothian v The Rangers Scottish Cup Final 2022 Match Thread *****

Jambos_1874

BackOfTheNet
Just now, PapaShango said:

Sibbicks not played a good game for Hearts since we signed him. He looks a bag of nerves every game and has real moment of slack play every week. I also thought he was quick, but watching him it looks like he has lead in his boots. I do think he has potential but I would rather not play him on Saturday. I think Halkett is a bigger miss than Souttar defensively, however Souttar is so good at bringing the ball out from the back and starting our attacks. 

See, that’s just not true. He’s shown plenty of times he has pace and his first few games (particularly the 0-0 against Hibs at Easter Road) he played well. And he wasn’t in the Barnsley team that reached the play offs last year for nothing. One of his best games in a Hearts shirt came in his debut when we beat Rangers in his first spell. So he had it in him. And I know he’s fit enough to last the 90 and beyond. I’m not sure Souttar just getting back to fitness is the right move with so long out. Halkett in the central part and being out only a few weeks I think will be fine.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iantjambo

• Don Dan

• Riccarton3

• Harry Potter

Bob Loblaw
15 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

See, that’s just not true. He’s shown plenty of times he has pace and his first few games (particularly the 0-0 against Hibs at Easter Road) he played well. And he wasn’t in the Barnsley team that reached the play offs last year for nothing. One of his best games in a Hearts shirt came in his debut when we beat Rangers in his first spell. So he had it in him. And I know he’s fit enough to last the 90 and beyond. I’m not sure Souttar just getting back to fitness is the right move with so long out. Halkett in the central part and being out only a few weeks I think will be fine.

He's been good in quite a few games IMO. He was really good up at Motherwell until his injury, dealt with the physicality well.

Turkishcap

What a man Robbie is, just read he has asked if the final can be delayed by 24 hours to give sevco time to recover

Not.

BackOfTheNet
1 minute ago, Bob Loblaw said:

He's been good in quite a few games IMO. He was really good up at Motherwell until his injury, dealt with the physicality well.

Another case of a few dodgy moments defining a player for eternity on kickback I think

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Does it end At tynecastle?

That deserves a

Honk-1000x1000-1.jpg

3 hours ago, Alec Eiffel said:

Ally ,McCoist on BT Sport "McGregor is one of the best penalty savers in football, he really is"  "I think McGregor will come out on top here, I really do".  "My money is on McGregor, it really is"  

Roll on Saturday.

Ali really is a dick

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Controversial....

LOL well that was a brain fart.

Obviously meant Smith. Need coffee.

Laura Axon

Hi, does anyone have two tickets available for the cup final? I’m desperate if anyone can help me I would massively appreciate it ☺️

Apologies if covered elsewhere but are we doing any sort of display like the semi on Saturday, haven’t seen anything mentioned 

8 hours ago, jbee647 said:

Parade will be Sunday evening same route as 2012, ie city chambers down Morrison Street to Haymarket up Dalry Road etc.

according to EEN

evening ???

7 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

GK - Gordon

RCB - Sibbick

CB - Halkett

LCB - Kingsley

RWB - Atkinson

LWB - Cochrane

CM - Haring

CM - Devlin

RW - McKay

LW - Ginnelly

ST - Simms

SUBS

Stewart

Souttar

Smith

Moore

Halliday

McEneff

Woodburn

Mackay-Steven

Boyce

Youth player 1

Youth player 2

That’s what I’d go for anyway

only 7 subs is it not ? 

5 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Does it end At tynecastle?

seriously ? 

5 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

Think the EEN are mixing up Saturday evening and Sunday. The article isn't clear but if we win I imagine road closures around Gorgie on Saturday evening for the bus returning, then Sunday afternoon.

makes sense 

BackOfTheNet
3 minutes ago, cookieboy said:

evening ???

only 7 subs is it not ? 

seriously ? 

makes sense 

Both semi-finals allowed 11 subs (we couldn’t have that many due to injuries). Assuming it’s the same for the final.

4 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Quieter thread than expected.

We all starting to shite it?

Got to say the nerves kicked in today whilst listening to SATF and PTP podcasts, kinda hit me that it's only a couple of days away. Going to have a few bevvies tonight so I feel knackered tomorrow night, and that'll help me sleep tomorrow night, whereas if I'm not knackered tomorrow, I won't sleep well at all tomorrow night. 

There's logic in there somewhere 😂

...andFulton'sBaggio
4 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Not enough cover on our right side for me. Smith got cooked over there at Ibrox and I don't enjoy the thought of McKay and Attkinson trying to shut that down.

For me it's a 3-4-3 that plays more like a 5-4-1 when they have the ball.

Craig

Natty Soapy Halks King Halliday

Gino  Devlin     Haring McKay

Simms

There's enough players on the park with attacking skill, including Souttar and Kingsley, that we can generate counters and push forward, but it's a truly wide defence ready for the big pitch.

Agree on Simms not starting—if we manage to get a lead, he's an ideal second half sub to shore up the defence.

I get what you're saying, I've just got a feeling Souttar's not gonna make it. Gonna be the most interesting team sheet of the season, that's for sure!

Rick Sanchez
5 minutes ago, ...andFulton'sBaggio said:

I get what you're saying, I've just got a feeling Souttar's not gonna make it. Gonna be the most interesting team sheet of the season, that's for sure!

I thought Souttar looked more ready than Halks last week tbh.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

It wasn’t a cup final but when Souttar came back from injury in the Championship did he not play the full 90 from the start as his first return game?

might be making it up and appreciate different circumstances- just might indicate that when he’s ready to go he goes.

Spitonastranger
1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

For I was still angry about Saturday, now the nerves are jingling cmon the Hearts let's do this

Clark Griswold

Started to get nervous today when I read about potential road closures on Sunday for a potential parade.

had a few wines tonight to compensate :lol: 

Rocky jamboa
5 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Not enough cover on our right side for me. Smith got cooked over there at Ibrox and I don't enjoy the thought of McKay and Attkinson trying to shut that down.

For me it's a 3-4-3 that plays more like a 5-4-1 when they have the ball.

Craig

Natty Soapy Halks King Halliday

Gino  Devlin     Haring McKay

Simms

There's enough players on the park with attacking skill, including Souttar and Kingsley, that we can generate counters and push forward, but it's a truly wide defence ready for the big pitch.

Agree on Simms not starting—if we manage to get a lead, he's an ideal second half sub to shore up the defence.

This is my thinking as well. 541. Keep it tight first half. 5 at the back makes us hard to break down. I'd play cochrane ahead of Halliday as he is the better defender.

Second half, we can attack more. Hopefully they will tire the longer the game goes on. 🙏

Watt-Zeefuik
Just now, Rocky jamboa said:

This is my thinking as well. 541. Keep it tight first half. 5 at the back makes us hard to break down. I'd play cochrane ahead of Halliday as he is the better defender.

Second half, we can attack more. Hopefully they will tire the longer the game goes on. 🙏

I like Halliday there because I think he can tuck in from the wingback position and help the midfield a bit, whereas Atkinson is more of a vertical threat with his speed. Cochrane is a sound defender but I don't think he's as useful breaking up play, and even with a back 5 we can't let Rangers kick it about in front of us for 60 minutes.

1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Both semi-finals allowed 11 subs (we couldn’t have that many due to injuries). Assuming it’s the same for the final.

ok cheers 

As I was walking past Tyne yesterday early noon.... this handsome man in his Mercedes drove past looking 100% in the zone..... CRAIG GORDON. I totally forgot they're training at Tyne Thursday/Friday  I'll be trying to get a spy tomorrow as well as getting hair chopped 11.30. 

cannot wait until Saturday, the wife's away up north so hopefully I'll be OUT OUT with you all come Saturday night and Sunday  HHGH

My phone thinks Rangers will win.

The self same phone was certain we'd beat Brora.

i wish jj was my dad
9 hours ago, sjh1874 said:

Apologies if covered elsewhere but are we doing any sort of display like the semi on Saturday, haven’t seen anything mentioned 

Aye. We're all going to bare our arses at Sevco when they come out 👍

Edited by i wish jj was my dad

Will this game be available on Hesgoal? I'm trying to find a way to watch this and worried I will miss it. Needs to be watched on a laptop with WiFi.

9 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Weirdly some people are still too busy with the trolling thread about wishing Rangers luck in the UEFA Cup

The excitement is real this morning!

Missed out on a ticket due to work being awkward but im off tomorrow. Will be setting up the man cave tonight for the lads coming first thing for burgers (weather dependent) and some early drinking. Enjoy your day whatever you’re doing jambos. RIGHT INTAE THIS MOB! 
🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

1 hour ago, jambo89 said:

Will this game be available on Hesgoal? I'm trying to find a way to watch this and worried I will miss it. Needs to be watched on a laptop with WiFi.

If you're in the UK you should be able to watch it on BBC website 

BackOfTheNet

Hate to say it, but I’m going more in hope than expectation. I say every time I’m not going to let myself get excited and then I do, but this time it’s the day before and I’m still not “in the mood” yet. Not sure why that is. Maybe it’ll kick in tomorrow when I start travelling through, I don’t know. Feels weird so close to a final though.

1 minute ago, Walrus said:

If you're in the UK you should be able to watch it on BBC website 

I am not in the UK at the moment. Will be in Africa at the time. I do have a VPN that appears to work with BBC iPlayer but seems to slow the stream down to the point the live feed continuously buffers

MR INCREDIBLE

Gordon

Natty Souttar Halkett Kingsley

Haring.  Halliday

Gino.          Boyce.     McKay

Simms

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

For the love of f*****g what kit we wearing in final?

Anyone know are we going all maroon again or are we wearing white shorts? 

I'd like us to wear the inter Milan kit just for a one off haha. 

Jean Louis Valois

Woke up with the cup final nerves this morning, works going to be fun today. Can't wait now. Few pints with the old man tonight then early train to Glasgow tomorrow. Here we go!

9 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

I am not in the UK at the moment. Will be in Africa at the time. I do have a VPN that appears to work with BBC iPlayer but seems to slow the stream down to the point the live feed continuously buffers

Ah right cool, surely hesgoal will have it

Wee extra buzz this morning but not feeling too confident, never know though as on the day if we play well we've got a good chance  🤞♥️

9 minutes ago, MR INCREDIBLE said:

Gordon

Natty Souttar Halkett Kingsley

Haring.  Halliday

Gino.          Boyce.     McKay

Simms

Would swap Halliday for devlin 

maybe Woodburn for Boyce 

We need pace 

1 hour ago, jambo89 said:

It's on BBC iplayer 

3 minutes ago, McNelly15 said:

It's on BBC iplayer 

As above, I'm not in the UK and iPlayer doesn't really like VPN's. Wasn't sure if Premier sports would be streaming it for free or if that was even an option

Gordon, Souttar, Halkett, Kingsley, Atkinson, Haring, Devlin, Cochrane, McKay, Boyce, Simms.

I think that's what Robbie will go with but wouldn't be surprised if Halliday is in for either Cochrane or Devlin. 

1 minute ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Whether he starts or comes on as a sub, how do we utilise Ginnelly?

We use him to hit on the break allowing us to get out of our half when Rangers try and press us but we need other players to help him by getting out when he breaks and giving him support McKay and Simms are no slouches either …………… Harings long passing is key to getting the best out of him

Rick Sanchez
2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

We use him to hit on the break allowing us to get out of our half when Rangers try and press us but we need other players to help him by getting out when he breaks and giving him support McKay and Simms are no slouches either …………… Harings long passing is key to getting the best out of him

Would you have him on the right, potentially running at Bassey or Balogun, or would you have him pin back Tavernier? Only problem there is the tracking back.

tiger Rudi

Quote from rangers news: 

"With Rangers the favourites to lift the famous trophy at Hampden, there shouldn’t be too much to worry about at the weekend"!! 😡

Let's get ****ing right into them tomorrow and bring the cup back!! We play to our best we will win! C'mon the JT's!! 

Bazzas right boot

Over on bears den they are in bits. 

They are now aware that this season could be written off after it promised so much. 

The fans are physically and mentally knackered and many can see this sc game far enough. 

The players must be feeling like this twice over. 

Ofc, the mood will change Tommorrow nearer KO, but if we start well the fear and dread will set in to them. 

Score first and get the " You're gonna win **** all" chant on the go and we can break them. 

I'm now more in the camp of - 

"if we can step up, we can win" as opposed to "we need rangers to have an off day / luck etc". 

Just don't freeze and gve them a lift, make them work, make them nervous, get their fans to turn. 

doit.gif

Edited by Bazzas right boot

3 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Would you have him on the right, potentially running at Bassey or Balogun, or would you have him pin back Tavernier? Only problem there is the tracking back.

I am not sure I would want him doing much tracking back other than just harrying players in front of him and trying to run at their defence I think his pace would cause any of them a problem but you would have to say Tavernier is better going forward and weaker at defending than Bassey .............. I think Bassey will fancy his chances matching Simms strength though so if Barrie or Gino can occupy him then hopefully that will allow Simms a bit of space

We've just got so many good players this season, all over the park.  I just get the impression they'll be confident and won't be overwhelmed by the occasion or the oponent.

22,000 of you will inspire them yet again and we will be totally up for it.

...andFulton'sBaggio
10 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I thought Souttar looked more ready than Halks last week tbh.

I guess it also depends how each of them recover. I don't remember being in this position before a final in the past, with so many key players injured. In fact, I don't remember any other game this season where we had so many players injured / not fully fit.

I still get a feeling Robbie has something up his sleeve. Ginnelly has to play for me. His pace will frighten them and he's one of the best finishers we have. And Devlin, if he's fit, will be hugely important. They'll be knackered and deflated. If they're angry, they might think all they have to do is turn up to win. Having those two on the pitch will ensure their defence and midfield are not in for an easy ride!