FA cup final

Francis Albert

AlimOzturk
3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Should do like the ice hockey, which goes from 5v5 to 3v3, and go 11v11 to 7v7 with first to score wins.

Eh naw. They tried golden goal before and it was ****ing ridiculous. This would be even more ridiculous  

pens are actually dramatic enough and ends a stalemate 

Francis Albert
15 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Should do like the ice hockey, which goes from 5v5 to 3v3, and go 11v11 to 7v7 with first to score wins.

Or just go straight to penalties as the  studio suggested?

Angel eyes

F.A cup is no the F.A cup anymore I’m old school 3pm KO end o season showpiece build up to match, now it’s a money making marketing wet dream, same teams in final nearly every season ones with the most money nah bit boring used to look forward to it but no now.

colinmaroon

I was reminded why I gave up Sky Sports and BT Sport when Hearts were demoted and why I haven't missed the football at all. Goals on YouTube are enough!

In case anybody watching the FA Cu Final as their first game, if you want to see goals, Google Hearts defence.

Angel eyes
1 minute ago, sassenach said:

I would tend to agree with you.  I believe that the later kick-off is to sell the game to a wider international TV audience, but I don't agree with it because it just makes it harder for fans at the game to travel home.

I would also have a replay.  In my mind, a penalty shootout sort of invalidates the actual game that went before it.

Just sadly one of the traditions that’s been lost from football became of tv and money….crazy KO times as you say,  me personally it should be the end of the season with no league games still to play diminishes the cup final for me, anyway.

Angel eyes
11 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I miss Cup Final It's A Knockout (with Stuart Hall 😳).  And Keith Chegwin and Maggie Philbin doing simultaneous Swaparamas from the towns of the respective finalists.

I also miss replays, such as the epic 4 match semi-final between Arsenal and Liverpool in 1979-80.  It almost seems weird to do things like that nowadays, but as a kid (I turned 15 on the day of the 2nd replay) it felt like the whole of England was transfixed.  It was part of what the Cup was all about.

Edit - Arsenal played a total of 70 games in all competitions that season, a record!  I don't remember anyone complaining about tiredness in those days - playing lots of games was the result of getting a long way in cup competitions so it was the mark of a good team.

On mud heap, energy sapping pitches and a fraction of the size of squads they’ve got now as well. Okay European games were minimal home&home straight knock outs which again to me should be the case not competition after competition, Celtic played in 3 competitions this season made an arse of each and got another go. internationals minimal again but they were unique games against half decent opposition no some random country that appeared 10 years ago, nah modern football is no all it’s cracked up to be.

I’ve never seen a London team win the FA Cup ……

….. in the 2 FA Cup Finals I’ve attended!

1987 Coventry vs Spurs 

2021 Chelsea vs Leicester City 

Francis Albert

Growing up all those years ago the FA Cup final was one of the highlights of the football year. (Along with the end of season Scotland- England game). The TV coverage for the FA cup final started 3 or 4 hours before the 3pm kick off. And there was almost always Scottish interest with a few Scottish players involved. It now feels a wee bit irrelevant with a 4th place in the league being much more important than a cup win. Even league promotion play offs are much more valuable. Times change not always for the better. The FA cup has shrink to the traditional status of the French  Italian German and other cups in Europe

(Today's game was very far from a bore-fest at least until the usual safety first approach to extra time.)

Ex member of the SaS

One of the worst games I have seen for a while. Multi million pound players that couldn't pass or shoot! Most stood around and hardly moved into striking positions or made a move down the wings. Passing was awful and the number of shots wide or well over the top was a disgrace for such highly paid players.

What got me more than the poor play was the number of fouls the ref allowed and not once did they go to VaR. ( not sure if it was applicable in this game ).

12 hours ago, sassenach said:

I would tend to agree with you.  I believe that the later kick-off is to sell the game to a wider international TV audience, but I don't agree with it because it just makes it harder for fans at the game to travel home.

I would also have a replay.  In my mind, a penalty shootout sort of invalidates the actual game that went before it.

Is the kick off time not more to do with there being other games on yesterday?

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

Over the last few years it’s been slightly later.

This years kick off time was to do with the Eurovision Song Contest.

Don’t when the last 15.00 kick off was.

5 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I'm sure I heard a few years ago when it was moved from 3pm that it was due to worldwide TV revenues.

Re other games - it should be the only game played.  Through my traditionalist eyes it's sacrilege to have any other game on Cup Final day.

I agree with you on the last point. 

I'd forgotten it was on until a few days ago. 

15 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

No I can't remember either. 

davemclaren

I remember when winning the English and Scottish cup felt a bigger achievement than winning the league. 

27 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Manchester City v Stoke in 2011.

13 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

Last time Liverpool won the FA Cup we won the Scottish cup. It’s a sign. 

Was it not penalties as well? 

🤔

Tuco Salamanca

Being stupid here...why were the Liverpool fans booing William and booing the national anthem. 

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

One of the worst games I have seen for a while. Multi million pound players that couldn't pass or shoot! Most stood around and hardly moved into striking positions or made a move down the wings. Passing was awful and the number of shots wide or well over the top was a disgrace for such highly paid players.

What got me more than the poor play was the number of fouls the ref allowed and not once did they go to VaR. ( not sure if it was applicable in this game ).

Until extra time it was an open game with lots of skillful play and good passing moves and lots of attempts on goal. Some missed badly but quite a few near things and three or four hitting woodwork.

I thought the referee had a good game and was refreshingly reluctant to blow his whistle especially when players made a meal of slight contact ... dived in other words.

Opinions eh?

Edited by Francis Albert

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Until extra time it was an open game with lots of skillful play and good passing moves and lots of attempts on goal. Some missed badly but quite a few near things and three or four hitting woodwork.

I thought the referee had a good game and was refreshingly reluctant to blow his whistle especially when players made a meal of slight contact ... dived in other words.

Opinions eh?

This.

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Opinions eh?

I agree Francis. Watching Thiago was an absolute joy. 

Seymour M Hersh
14 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Whay I saw of it was an utter borefest.  Robertson was good though.

TAA was better. 

Angel eyes
2 hours ago, Hmfc1965 said:

Probably to get a bigger tv audience and affect attendance’s at other games  but if you support another team you will go and watch them no matter who’s playing on tv, wouldn’t you….if hearts play on Wednesday would stay home and watch Rangers?

28 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

Probably to get a bigger tv audience and affect attendance’s at other games  but if you support another team you will go and watch them no matter who’s playing on tv, wouldn’t you….if hearts play on Wednesday would stay home and watch Rangers?

I'd be at the Hearts game. Others might not though. 

Like someone said before, FA cup final has lost some of its old traditions, i.e 3pm kick off, and noticed both managers came out in tracksuits and baseball hats, old school was cup final suit to lead their team out

10 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I'm with you.  I was driving back from Edinburgh during normal time of the game.

To be honest, I can't remember when I last watched the FA Cup Final.  It really saddens me, but it feels to me as if the soul has been ripped out of the FA Cup, and out of the English game at the top levels in general.  These days I get my FA Cup fix from watching local non-league teams in preliminary and qualifying rounds.

You don't seem to get the drama nowadays. 

Who can forget the 1973 final when Sunderland beat Leeds. 

Or 1976 when Southampton beat Manchester Utd. 

Sadly we failed to create a shock ourselves that day. 😕

Commentators always seem to go over the top with their assessments these days apparently yesterday's game was the most exciting and unforgettable 0-0 since the last time these two teams played out a 0-0 at Wembley. 

Great stuff pity neither of them could actually score a goal against each other. 

21 minutes ago, sassenach said:

According to something I heard on the radio they were also booing Abide With Me.

I would sort of understand it if they only wanted to boo William and the anthem, but it seems as if they wanted to display complete lack of respect for the whole traditions of the Cup Final.

I usually try to be bigger than judging a whole group of people based on where they are from, but so many people from Merseyside really do seem to have massive chips on their shoulders.

Why would you boo the national anthem?

They certainly didn't boo Abide with Me - was the radio station the BBC per chance?

11 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Yes it was the BBC. It wasn't mentioned during the commentary, but it was mentioned on Five Live this morning.

A quick Google search for "booing Abide With Me" brings up loads of hits. I haven't read any of them, as I find it quite upsetting, to be honest.

Growing up as a young Middlesbrough fan it was my dream to one day stand at Wembley and sing Abide With Me.  I used to excitedly start learning the words whenever we got to the Fifth Round, only to have forgotten them again by the time the Semi Final came around.  I finally realised my dream in 1997, aged 32 so no longer young.  I was blubbing so much that I could barely get a word out.

I never heard them booing it, I suspect the BBC are at it again.

The national anthem is fair game though.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, sassenach said:

According to something I heard on the radio they were also booing Abide With Me.

I would sort of understand it if they only wanted to boo William and the anthem, but it seems as if they wanted to display complete lack of respect for the whole traditions of the Cup Final.

I usually try to be bigger than judging a whole group of people based on where they are from, but so many people from Merseyside really do seem to have massive chips on their shoulders.

England’s weedgies 

Салатные палочки
2 hours ago, Boghell51 said:

Like someone said before, FA cup final has lost some of its old traditions, i.e 3pm kick off, and noticed both managers came out in tracksuits and baseball hats, old school was cup final suit to lead their team out

Good point about the suits. I can't remember, did Robbie wear a suit in 2020? 

Remember in the 80s/90s the build up for the FA and Scottish Cup finals started at about 11 in the morning? Great days them. A proper build up. 

Edit. He didn't. But it was four days before Christmas and cold. 

Screenshot_20220515-143817_Chrome.jpg.f07715d728274f2435b73a9c217a66c4.jpg

Edited by Salad Fingers

38 minutes ago, sassenach said:

It was on one of the front pages this morning, although I can't remember which one.  I can't imagine the media would make something like that up - it wouldn't cross their minds as they spend too much time up Klopp's backside.

Yes, the media have no history of lying about Liverpool fans 🙄

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, briever said:

Yes, the media have no history of lying about Liverpool fans 🙄

It was the Mail of course. But Liverpool fans certainly have some history of this. As a republican I have no problem with it.  But as with Celtic in Scotland it  is a phenomenon studiously ignored by most of the media. Including the BBC yesterday.

The Mail's take on it and of those it quoted is that it is a reflection of Liverpool's anti-Establishment culture and its traditional "twin capital of Ireland" demography.

(If you are truly anti-Establishment maybe Tranmere Rovers might offer a local alternative football-wise?)

Edited by Francis Albert

Angel eyes
4 hours ago, briever said:

Why would you boo the national anthem?

They certainly didn't boo Abide with Me - was the radio station the BBC per chance?

It’s a Liverpool thing no interested in nationalism or British pride Liverpool that’s it.

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

The Mail's take on it and of those it quoted is that it is a reflection of Liverpool's anti-Establishment culture and its traditional "twin capital of Ireland" demography.

No surprise the Mail running an anti Irish narrative given what's going on with the protocol etc.

Seymour M Hersh

Scouse not English! Personally I wouldn't boo either the anthem or William but at least the fans that did paid for their tickets unlike some. 

Francis Albert
11 minutes ago, Boris said:

No surprise the Mail running an anti Irish narrative given what's going on with the protocol etc.

So what is your take on this? An invention by the anti-Irish? 

Like any criticism of Celtic's Green Brigade? Not that our media really address that phenomenon.

It is a bit strange because there is quite a lot of doubt about which of the Liverpool clubs were originally the  Catholic and which the Protestant team and which would be more likely to boo the UK royal family. My wife is Catholic and her family were traditionally Evertonians. But these days Celtic and Liverpool seem to have close affinities.

Whatever, it doesn't for me belong in a football ground. 

Any more than Rangers fans renditions of God Save the Queen yesterday. Was that mentioned in say the Record?

Seymour M Hersh
6 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

So what is your take on this? An invention by the anti-Irish? 

Like any criticism of Celtic's Green Brigade? Not that our media really address that phenomenon.

It is a bit strange because there is quite a lot of doubt about which of the Liverpool clubs were originally the  Catholic and which the Protestant team and which would be more likely to boo the UK royal family. My wife is Catholic and her family were traditionally Evertonians. But these days Celtic and Liverpool seem to have close affinities.

Whatever, it doesn't for me belong in a football ground. 

Any more than Rangers fans renditions of God Save the Queen yesterday. Was that mentioned in say the Record?

FA there is not much doubt about it. LFC founder John Houlding was a member of the Orange Lodge and Tory MP and the first team had a good number of Scottish loyalists in it. Now whether that was by design and some sort of Rangers type of thing I couldn't say. The church that Everton came from although sounding RC was in fact a Methodist Church. Here's a link to a bitters site that may shed some light but in my experience it's pretty mixed through both supports. Oh and as an aside Liverpool don't have an "affinity" with Celtic. 

https://www.toffeeweb.com/fans/beingblue/religion.asp

Malinga the Swinga
9 hours ago, Tuco Salamanca said:

Being stupid here...why were the Liverpool fans booing William and booing the national anthem. 

Couldn't disguise their true nature of being utter scum.