Saddest (or most poignant) song you know?

Morgan

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 hours ago, Mollo said:

Great artist.. Relatively Easy, in same album as you will know, is poignant for me, especially the line about the friend… touched me as also lost a great mate to suicide

But in brighter notes - what a great singer. Loads of good tracks 👍🏻

So sorry to hear about your mate. Yes Jason Isbell is not only a great song writer but also a fantastic guitar player.  He wrights songs with a depth of meaning like children of children which I believe is about his own upbringing with a really young mother. In other songs he tackles addictions and even sex abuse and revenge killing in the song Yvette, that is deep! 

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• All roads lead to Gorgie

• Ulysses

• Tazio

1 hour ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

So sorry to hear about your mate. Yes Jason Isbell is not only a great song writer but also a fantastic guitar player.  He wrights songs with a depth of meaning like children of children which I believe is about his own upbringing with a really young mother. In other songs he tackles addictions and even sex abuse and revenge killing in the song Yvette, that is deep! 

Thanks mate. Really appreciated. 

Yeah he’s a real talent, was blown away when I first heard him. And funnily enough as someone not in Edinburgh I was up on a match wkend and traipsed into a record store.. heard a song playing.. bought the album and that was me hooked. 👍🏻

• 3 weeks later...
Diadora Van Basten

I was at the James concert at the weekend and the final song was Sometimes. I had always liked the chorus but decided to have a read of the lyrics as I didn’t know them and now it’s probably the most disturbing song I have ever heard.

Francis Albert

Tough question but I think I would go for the song with the lyric in my signature. God Bless the Child by Billy Holiday

Already mentioned on here but the Johnny Cash version of Hurt. Just everything about the song - the melody, very powerful lyrics and Johnny Cash's distinctive voice. 

Great Tom Waits shouts from @I P Knightley. When I saw him at the Playhouse last time he toured he suddenly launched into Tom Traubert’s Blues, also a very sad song but one I thought I’d heard so often that I never really needed to hear it again. I was almost shocked to find tears streaming down my face.

Anyway, here’s Jackson Browne’s tribute to the wonderful Lowell George. I’m not a huge fan but this song is just perfect, and sad as ****.

20 hours ago, stirlo said:

Already mentioned on here but the Johnny Cash version of Hurt. Just everything about the song - the melody, very powerful lyrics and Johnny Cash's distinctive voice. 

Oh Christ, yes!

That’s a sad one alright.  :sad: 

"Angel from Montgomery'. It's written from the perspective of an old woman looking back at her life, but was written by John Prime when he was only about 25.... Bonnie Raitt did the most well known version but I like the Tedeschi Trucks Band. Susan Tedeschi has a great voice and Derek Trucks might be the best guitarist you may not have heard of...

il Duce McTarkin
On 19/05/2022 at 08:33, Vlad Magic said:

Haven’t seen it mentioned?

Dire Straits “Brothers in Arms”.

Already an unbelievable composition of words and music it was used to great effect in the early 90’s drama “Civvies” with Jason Issac.

The song is poignant, heart wrenching and beautifully composed.

”We’re fools to make war on our Brothers in arms”.

Especially poignant with everything going on.

Reminds me of my old man (he loves the album). 

Tears me up every time I hear it and the old **** isn't even deid yet. 

Geddyalexneil

There are some absolutely beautiful songs mentioned here and in all sorts of styles and groupings.

I see @Boof  mentioned "The Pass" by Rush and I would agree that it is a wonderful song and was for many years their most emotional song. For me however that has been beaten the last song on the very last Rush album called "The Garden".

The words "The measure of a life is a measure of love and respect
So hard to earn, so easily burned
In the fullness of time
A garden to nurture and protect

(it's a measure of a life)
The measure of a life is a measure of love and respect
The way you live, the gifts that you give
In the fullness of time is the only return that you expect"

all seem to have taken on more substance and emotion with the sad passing of drummer and lyricist Neil Peart.

For those who haven't heard the song here it is from You Tube.

JudyJudyJudy
On 23/06/2022 at 01:25, millerjames398 said:

George Michael- different corner

Love it . Reminds me of an old flame 🔥 

millerjames398
11 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Love it . Reminds me of an old flame 🔥 

Really is an amazing song. 

Waiting for the day, is another brilliant song...to be fair George Michael was brilliant as well👍🏼

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, millerjames398 said:

Really is an amazing song. 

Waiting for the day, is another brilliant song...to be fair George Michael was brilliant as well👍🏼

Yes his " Listen without Prejudice " album is superb. " A different corner " is a lovely song about fate and meeting someone.   He was a lovely generous person. I still cant get my head around why he was so unhappy and became an addict . I read somewhere that he smoked a copious amount of joints every day.  Poor guy.  He clearly was unhappy about something. 

millerjames398
8 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes his " Listen without Prejudice " album is superb. " A different corner " is a lovely song about fate and meeting someone.   He was a lovely generous person. I still cant get my head around why he was so unhappy and became an addict . I read somewhere that he smoked a copious amount of joints every day.  Poor guy.  He clearly was unhappy about something. 

A troubled soul for sure..but what a performer,,he done different corner, in the Palais de Paris with a full orchestra,,goosebumps, on top of goosebumps material ...

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, millerjames398 said:

A troubled soul for sure..but what a performer,,he done different corner, in the Palais de Paris with a full orchestra,,goosebumps, on top of goosebumps material ...

Yes i saw that on tv. I think he was still struggling from coming out later in life really. He probably had a lot of anxiety and worry about being outed and this impacted on his mental well being. And when he came out he had so many guys wanting to be his partner ? He probably wondered about their motivation? Did they really like him or his money?  I also seemed he never got over the partner he had who died of AIDS 

• 1 month later...
On 16/05/2022 at 22:54, Ulysses said:

I love Tomás Mac Eoin's vocals on that song.

YouTube can **** right off.

crunchy frog

this one always gets me. Not least cos the singer Adrian Borland threw himself in front of a train less than 20 years later 😟

On 22/06/2022 at 22:08, Daktari said:

"Angel from Montgomery'. It's written from the perspective of an old woman looking back at her life, but was written by John Prime when he was only about 25.... Bonnie Raitt did the most well known version but I like the Tedeschi Trucks Band. Susan Tedeschi has a great voice and Derek Trucks might be the best guitarist you may not have heard of...

Derek Trucks is probably the best living rock and blues guitarist 

All roads lead to Gorgie

When I first heard this I found the theme of the song very sad. 

Edited by All roads lead to Gorgie

All roads lead to Gorgie

The short film released with this record along with the piano sound makes this one a melancholy inducing song.

It's a whole lifetime flas

hing by!

JudyJudyJudy
17 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I'm resurrecting this thread with a cheesy but tearful song.  An all time classic. 

It’s hardly cheesy ! It’s a beautiful song I reckon 

Dick Dastardly
16 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

It’s hardly cheesy ! It’s a beautiful song I reckon 

It'll bring a tear to a glass eye

On 14/05/2022 at 22:14, Jamstomorrow said:
The Green Fields of France. (No man's Land.)
A song written by Eric Bogle from Peebles.  

..and this one:😢

14 hours ago, iantjambo said:

Bright Eyes and Annie’s song.

Both for personal reasons.

I won't comment any further on this, other than...

You know how I feel, Ian.  :sad:

CavySlaveJambo

For me the saddest songs are

My Heart Will Go On - Celine Dion

Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy

The Last Goodbye - Billy Boyd

Simple Minds - Belfast Child

Phil Collins - Colours 

Both for the horrors they are about.

Verve - Unfinished Symphony

No idea this one, the ending to Cruel Intentions may have something to do it with it, but it always makes me a little sad (odd, because it's a brilliant song).