• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greedy Jambo

• SCFHearts

• Kalamazoo Jambo

• Ulysses

ColinSmith1255
6 minutes ago, SCFHearts said:

Lucky you i went to a Craigmiiarfor an  anti Nazi concert  found on here a while back  that they were vever gonny i was 15 but the Valves were great 

I was there. Ain’t no surf in Portobello!

Just now, ColinSmith1255 said:

I was there. Ain’t no surf in Portobello!

As a nipper i loved it , bit scary at times 

Coincidentally the greatest song ever made is also my favourite song.

The last 4 and a bit minutes of this is as good as music gets.

35 minutes ago, FWJ said:

(I was going to say The Trolley Song, but this one’s a bit more acceptable)

In my top 5 that song 

CF11JamTart
9 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

Heartland by The The is the best song ever written. 👍

Did you see their Comeback Special on the telly the other week? 

Weakened Offender
23 minutes ago, CF11JamTart said:

Did you see their Comeback Special on the telly the other week? 

No, where can I see this pal? 

CF11JamTart
21 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

No, where can I see this pal? 

It was on Sky Arts. Keep an eye out for repeats. 

Live at Royal Albert Hall from a few years ago... Superb gig.

Might be on DVD too. 

13 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

Absolutely correct 

I love this song so much I have it tattooed across my chest 🥰

Top trumps. It’s my funeral song 

13 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

He totally got his hole after that. 

Not from either of these two...

image.png.985f8f1870936b3dfc48c806f7d8320b.png  image.png.8ff8723ec57436327bf8ac6b7cb1d11c.png

Dick Dastardly
20 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Quite like a bit of Justin Beiber. 

21 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

21 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Here's your taylor swift. 

18 hours ago, Costanza said:

Coincidentally the greatest song ever made is also my favourite song.

The last 4 and a bit minutes of this is as good as music gets.

17 hours ago, FWJ said:

(I was going to say The Trolley Song, but this one’s a bit more acceptable)

7 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

These are all up there in my favourite songs but these below are probably my top 3 

On 13/05/2022 at 22:03, jonesy said:

Some of my favourite bands I'm running out of time to see.

Go see.  You or they will eventually run out of time or run out of road.

Dick Dastardly
13 hours ago, Mister T said:

Now we are talking! Definitely up there with one of their best. I don't think i could choose a favourite Roses track but this is definitely up there. 

Also love this track

frankblack
10 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Go see.  You or they will eventually run out of time or run out of road.

I had tickets for Bowie at T in the Park, which was going to be my first time seeing him.  It never happened because he took ill at a gig shortly before T and he didn't tour again.

I can only echo your statements to go see the bands while you can.  A lot of bands from the 70s/early 80s are finishing up.

Madjambo21
On 13/05/2022 at 22:03, Greedy Jambo said:

Quite like a bit of Justin Beiber. 

Tune.

Amazing band

8 hours ago, frankblack said:

I had tickets for Bowie at T in the Park, which was going to be my first time seeing him.  It never happened because he took ill at a gig shortly before T and he didn't tour again.

I can only echo your statements to go see the bands while you can.  A lot of bands from the 70s/early 80s are finishing up.

A mate of mine got tickets for Bowie somewhere, but it was cancelled - and then like your own case, it never happened for him.  The difference is that he'd seen Bowie live 5 or 6 times before that.  But he had loads of chances to see Leonard Cohen - in Dublin, a few minutes away on the bus - but he never did, and he regretted that.

Not gonna lie here, but I used to work off the logic that a gig was only a gig, and for the same cash you could buy a couple of the artist's albums and still have money to pay for a takeaway and a few beers to have while listening.  But the truth is that you can't replicate what happens at a gig - the atmosphere, the feeling, the whatever it is, you just can't replicate the experience of being there when it happens.  I thought about going to see Prince playing a 20-minute spin from my house but decided "nah, some other time".  When will I get to do that now?  :sad:

So now, actively encouraged by Mme. U, I take my chances and I go and see.  Occasionally, I'm disappointed or it's merely OK (and sometimes, we go see stuff for which JKB would never forgive me).  But sometimes it's magic.  Paul Simon in the RDS, when he was already 76 years old.  Julie Fowlis and her pals in the Church of Ireland in Drogheda.  Milton Jones with about 100 people in Islington (for about 15 quid).  David Byrne in the Point.  Primal Scream in Dublin only a couple of weeks after my mother died. 

I saw Sigur Ros with my son about 6 years ago.  We're going to see them again in November.  Might be great, might not, but if we're not there how will we know?

Edited by Ulysses

frankblack
2 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

A mate of mine got tickets for Bowie somewhere, but it was cancelled - and then like your own case, it never happened for him.  The difference is that he'd seen Bowie live 5 or 6 times before that.  But he had loads of chances to see Leonard Cohen - in Dublin, a few minutes away on the bus - but he never did, and he regretted that.

Not gonna lie here, but I used to work off the logic that a gig was only a gig, and for the same cash you could buy a couple of the artist's albums and still have money to pay for a takeaway and a few beers to have while listening.  But the truth is that you can't replicate what happens at a gig - the atmosphere, the feeling, the whatever it is, you just can't replicate the experience of being there when it happens.  I thought about going to see Prince playing a 20-minute spin from my house but decided "nah, some other time".  When will I get to do that now?  :sad:

Prince was kind of on my radar where I wasn't decided enough and he had so much material released I didn't know where to start.

A mate who lives in Glasgow managed to get tickets for his show at the Hydro which I think was the year before he died - he said that gig was one of the best he has ever experienced - a complete party.

I was at a Mark Lanegan gig at the ABC in Glasgow on the day Prince died - and saw him numerous times so that one hit me.  I recall Mark paying tribute to him during the show.

2 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

So now, actively encouraged by Mme. U, I take my chances and I go and see.  Occasionally, I'm disappointed or it's merely OK (and sometimes, we go see stuff for which JKB would never forgive me).  But sometimes it's magic.  Paul Simon in the RDS, when he was already 76 years old.  Julie Fowlis and her pals in the Church of Ireland in Drogheda.  Milton Jones with about 100 people in Islington (for about 15 quid).  David Byrne in the Point.  Primal Scream in Dublin only a couple of weeks after my mother died. 

I saw Sigur Ros with my son about 6 years ago.  We're going to see them again in November.  Might be great, might not, but if we're not there how will we know?

I'll be at the Glasgow gig for Sigur Ros.  I've seen them twice before - once they had an orchestra at the Usher Hall, and the other time without at the Playhouse.

It is a very weird sound with Jonsi playing his guitar with a violin bow kind of like Jimmy Page sometimes did - except Jonsi does it for most of his performance.  I really enjoyed them.

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I'll be at the Glasgow gig for Sigur Ros.  I've seen them twice before - once they had an orchestra at the Usher Hall, and the other time without at the Playhouse.

It is a very weird sound with Jonsi playing his guitar with a violin bow kind of like Jimmy Page sometimes did - except Jonsi does it for most of his performance.  I really enjoyed them.

You'll see them three days before we will.

They used backing tapes when we saw them outdoors at the Royal Hospital Kilmainham back in 2016, and I think it might be the same again this year.  But it was a phenomenal gig.  This time it's indoors, and I have a feeling it'll be a quite different experience.