Non-British Hearts supporters - Worldwide

Heartsofgold

Heartsofgold

Following on from the English based Hearts supporters thread, I thought it would be nice to hear from some of our International fan base and get wee stories of how they wound up following HMFC either from afar or while they lived in or moved permanently to the UK.

There was @Justin Z from the States. I don't think he posts in here anymore though. Think he started following us when he was studying over here. 

I'm Scottish but working overseas in Mauritius (so I guess this thread doesn't really apply to me 😉

Been here for years and not found another Hearts fan yet (had to watch 2012 final with a Dundee Utd fan at the back of a dark pub on a dodgy stream... but it was still magic!)

Got proper viewing sorted since then so I'm all ready for next week... 

BelgeJambo

A few lads from my local team Molenbeek in Belgium support Hearts.

Always across for Derbys, cup finals and in Europe.

Brussels Hearts has a group page on FB

2 hours ago, BelgeJambo said:

A few lads from my local team Molenbeek in Belgium support Hearts.

Always across for Derbys, cup finals and in Europe.

Brussels Hearts has a group page on FB

"Brussels Hearts", you say? No shortage of potential logos:-

Screenshot_20220513-081710_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20220513-081745_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20220513-081807_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20220513-081814_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20220513-081834_Google.jpg

Fxxx the SPFL

We have friends in Bay Rock, St Catherine’s Canada 🇨🇦 Raymond is a big jambo from Warriston his wife Wilma is from Vancouver and now an adopted jambo and came over regularly before covid and went to most big finals and Derby’s couldn’t get tickets for them this time 

periodictabledancer

I was in Paris for 2016 Euros with my lad - he was was wearing his Hearts shirt.  We were in a boozer surrounded by Norns and one guy came over beaming , took his parka off ( aye , a parka) to proudly show off HIS Hearts shirt. He was a Belfast boy who went to uni in Edinburgh. 

I've also met a few in Canada when I worked there and flying back to Calgary in 2012 after the game was amazing - lots of Jambos on that plane. 

We successfully converted an Italian bloke from Turin to have Hearts as his second team, behind Juventus.

Whenever we see him out and about, he shouts ‘HMFC - only one team’!

Fabio :notworthy:

I think its great when someone from abroad picks us as their Scottish team. Too many go for the ugly sisters and I'm sick of them being thought of as great teams, nothing great about a history built on bigotry. 

The Hogfather

There's the HMFC France fella on Twitter and some other Italian laddie too. They're quite prominent on there, but I dunno if they post here.

Watt-Zeefuik

Phoning in from North Carolina. As football became more available here 20 years ago or so, everyone started picking an EPL team, but the money-chasing and plastic fan bit turned me off. I'd been to Scotland on a visit in the 90s and loved it so thought, hey, why not follow Scottish football instead, eh?

Was quickly informed that I'd be either wanting Celtic or Rangers, but after learning a bit more I thought, no I won't. I thought I'd follow the league as a bit of a neutral for a few years and see what came up.

I had already been settling on Hearts by the late aughts when I met my now-spouse. She'd spent a term at uni at New College and adored Edinburgh, so I thought, well, this will work out well. We came to Scotland on our honeymoon and despite seeing a dire loss to Dundee, getting dog shite on my jacket, and getting lost a bit on the way back to the hotel, I still really enjoyed Tynecastle. I thought, well, if I still enjoyed it even through that, it must be good.

I have a lot of interest (and now a bloody Ph.D.) in co-ops and community ownership so when the trouble with Vlad got deep and FoH was mooted, there was no going back. I became an FoH member as soon as they accepted foreign transfers.

1 minute ago, Led Tasso said:

Phoning in from North Carolina. As football became more available here 20 years ago or so, everyone started picking an EPL team, but the money-chasing and plastic fan bit turned me off. I'd been to Scotland on a visit in the 90s and loved it so thought, hey, why not follow Scottish football instead, eh?

Was quickly informed that I'd be either wanting Celtic or Rangers, but after learning a bit more I thought, no I won't. I thought I'd follow the league as a bit of a neutral for a few years and see what came up.

I had already been settling on Hearts by the late aughts when I met my now-spouse. She'd spent a term at uni at New College and adored Edinburgh, so I thought, well, this will work out well. We came to Scotland on our honeymoon and despite seeing a dire loss to Dundee, getting dog shite on my jacket, and getting lost a bit on the way back to the hotel, I still really enjoyed Tynecastle. I thought, well, if I still enjoyed it even through that, it must be good.

I have a lot of interest (and now a bloody Ph.D.) in co-ops and community ownership so when the trouble with Vlad got deep and FoH was mooted, there was no going back. I became an FoH member as soon as they accepted foreign transfers.

these are the tales I want to hear , well in mate 

Worthing Jambo
36 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

A great story👍
Welcome aboard🥳

periodictabledancer
14 hours ago, Olly51 said:

I'm Scottish but working overseas in Mauritius (so I guess this thread doesn't really apply to me 😉

Been here for years and not found another Hearts fan yet (had to watch 2012 final with a Dundee Utd fan at the back of a dark pub on a dodgy stream... but it was still magic!)

Got proper viewing sorted since then so I'm all ready for next week... 

Anse la Raie says :wave1:

But I'm only here on holiday. 

TyphoonJambo
1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

Top lad. Top story. Welcome a new A hole. 

Auld Reekin'
1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

I had already been settling on Hearts by the late aughts when I met my now-spouse. She'd spent a term at uni at New College and adored Edinburgh, so I thought, well, this will work out well. We came to Scotland on our honeymoon and despite seeing a dire loss to Dundee, getting dog shite on my jacket:ermm: and getting lost a bit on the way back to the hotel, I still really enjoyed Tynecastle. I thought, well, if I still enjoyed it even through that, it must be good.

Falling-over-and-rolling-about-the-ground-absolutely-blootered type-post i.m.o. :thumbsup: :booze:

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

We successfully converted an Italian bloke from Turin to have Hearts as his second team, behind Juventus.

Whenever we see him out and about, he shouts ‘HMFC - only one team’!

Fabio :notworthy:

Easy convert considering the colours. 

2 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

:coolgleamA:

57 minutes ago, schillaci said:

Easy convert considering the colours. 

Fair comment.

We have also made an Inter fan aware of the Famous!

He was already a good lad, having driven us from France to Milan for the derby at the old San Siro, and introducing us to some of his more... erm.. lively chums!

Edited by Morgan

1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

Are these Lambratta Hearts buys and girls Italians?

Robert de Niro’s waiting...  🤷🏿‍♂️

Heartsofgold

This is exactly the kind of story I wanted to hear!!!

Just now, Heartsofgold said:

This is exactly the kind of story I wanted to hear!!!

Good thread, Hog.  :thumbsup:

A really good guy I met when I first came here, a kiwi, was a passionate Jambo.  He had worked as a steeplejack then got a job on an oil rig off the coast of Norway.  On his first leave he came to Edinburgh for a week and went to a Tynie derby.  

Hearts trounced them and he loved it.  Went to every game he could after that, including Europe.

I lost touch with him but if he's still alive and well, he'll still be a Jambo.

I was going to start a Northern Ireland Hearts thread, but was worried it would end up with no interest. 

Obviously, it's the UK, but we have to be cautious about political views over here so it's worth mentioning here too! 

I've recently moved from glorious Dundee to Belfast (glutton for punishment, I know...), but would be interested to know if there are any NI based Hearts supporters who go to games or otherwise organise to watch the matches. 

Good story but dug shite jaiket needs expanded on. 

Weebroon98
22 minutes ago, tian447 said:

I was going to start a Northern Ireland Hearts thread, but was worried it would end up with no interest. 

Obviously, it's the UK, but we have to be cautious about political views over here so it's worth mentioning here too! 

I've recently moved from glorious Dundee to Belfast (glutton for punishment, I know...), but would be interested to know if there are any NI based Hearts supporters who go to games or otherwise organise to watch the matches. 

There is a nothern ireland hearts supporters club on twitter and instagram 

@NiHeartssc1874 Twitter

ni_hearts_sc instagram

24 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Seconded. We need to know.

Watt-Zeefuik
15 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Honestly I don't know how it got there, never figured it out. I tied my raincoat around my waist to keep from having to keep track of it. While I exited the Wheatfield with everyone else, I was just trying to get a bit away from the crowds that were headed back up towards Haymarket. Our B&B was out in Newington and I hadn't quite sorted out the transit routes back, so I thought, I can't get too lost walking towards Old Town. Looking at a map, I think I ended up on Dundee St. and wasn't quite sure how to get around, so I must have sat down somewhere to try to sort it out and that's when it happened. (And this was 10 years ago when I was still stubbornly refusing to carry a smart phone so no GPS.) At any rate, the smell finally got to me and I realized what had happened, and stepped into a coffee shop and finally got to a toilet and cleaned it up a bit. I did eventually find my way to Old Town and got the bus out to Mayfield Rd.

The new spouse had spent her day at the national library and done the literary tour so she was quite happy to have had the time.

All of which is to say, my first trip to Tynecastle wasn't easy! :lol:

1 hour ago, Weebroon98 said:

There is a nothern ireland hearts supporters club on twitter and instagram 

@NiHeartssc1874 Twitter

ni_hearts_sc instagram

Nice one mate, thanks :)

5 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Brilliant.  🇱🇻👏🇱🇻

I'm in the middle of nowhere in the far north of Australia. Been here since last year, got fed up with covid.

Went for a walk along the beach the other day and spotted an elderly guy strumming a ukulele, and he was from Edinburgh. Didn't think to ask if he was a Jambo...... Small world....!

images (31).jpeg

images (32).jpeg

SwindonJambo
18 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Your story will be very hard to beat 😋 Great to see you back posting on here regularly.  I think Heats have a knack for attracting fans from unexpected places. 

It was a visit to Tynecaste and a grim game v Dundee which attracted me to the club as a young adult too. There is a magical vibe about Gorgie on a match day - the whole area has such a buzz about it. I can remember feeling the pull before I went through the turnstiles and I bought a scarf about a minute after I entered the stadium and looked around the place. It just felt right. I’ve been a fan ever since - nearly 37 years. I’m at least from elsewhere in Scotland (the West) so no match for your tale...

ernie winchester

I'm good friends with some guys from Basel who have supported us since we played them in 2004.  They've been back to Tynie several times and looking forward to the next trip.

Met a chap in santa ponza about 4 years ago, part owner in a bar had about 5 different Hearts tops in the bar plus he was waring the 2014 top. Hearts mad, he was half Brazilian and half Italian. All he wanted to talk about was the famous. 🇱🇻

fabienleclerq
18 hours ago, Section Q said:

I'm in the middle of nowhere in the far north of Australia. Been here since last year, got fed up with covid.

Went for a walk along the beach the other day and spotted an elderly guy strumming a ukulele, and he was from Edinburgh. Didn't think to ask if he was a Jambo...... Small world....!

images (31).jpeg

images (32).jpeg

I dunno if I'm the weird one but I can't imagine bumping into someone like in your story and not asking what team they support. 

ScottieMac17

I have family members in Portofino that support hearts... The Genoa Jambos! 🇮🇹

Watt-Zeefuik
5 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

Your story will be very hard to beat 😋 Great to see you back posting on here regularly.  I think Heats have a knack for attracting fans from unexpected places. 

It was a visit to Tynecaste and a grim game v Dundee which attracted me to the club as a young adult too. There is a magical vibe about Gorgie on a match day - the whole area has such a buzz about it. I can remember feeling the pull before I went through the turnstiles and I bought a scarf about a minute after I entered the stadium and looked around the place. It just felt right. I’ve been a fan ever since - nearly 37 years. I’m at least from elsewhere in Scotland (the West) so no match for your tale...

I really appreciate all of the kind words about my story but to me ones about the four generations of Hearts fans, or the magic of going to Tynecastle with a family member as a child are even more special.

I'm very much a Johnny-come-lately and have no memories from the time of Colquhoun or Robbo or the agony of Dens and just try to read up on my lore. I can say I rode out the admin year faithfully watching most matches, though, and was rewarded for that with memories like watching the 10-0 live, the Ozturk screamer, and Sow's last minute winner at Ibrox and such. I'll even say that we were in the midst of a move to Richmond in those years that was very difficult for me, and there was something grounding about pulling up Hearts TV on a Saturday and watching that young squad turn the corner from turgid into stomping all over the Hibs and Huns.

On 15/05/2022 at 05:05, fabienleclerq said:

I dunno if I'm the weird one but I can't imagine bumping into someone like in your story and not asking what team they support. 

👍

Edited by Section Q

Kalamazoo Jambo
11 minutes ago, Smithian said:

USA Hearts fan

Big MLS and SPL fan. I only like the elite game.

:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/05/2022 at 05:05, fabienleclerq said:

Just bumped into ukulele man again. His name is Colin and still has his Jambo beanie. Hails from Stockbridge and his mum lived in one of the cottages at Slateford.....!

To all those overseas Jambos were at Hampden on Saturday, we all salute you.

I bet there were a good number of you in hospitality.  Thats the easiest way for us to get tickets.

fabienleclerq
2 hours ago, Section Q said:

Just bumped into ukulele man again. His name is Colin and still has his Jambo beanie. Hails from Stockbridge and his mum lived in one of the cottages at Slateford.....!

Ha! Good man.