WW2 timeline

jonesy

jonesy

Researching something for work. Could anyone point me in the direction of an online timeline of WW2 battles and other significant events? Preferably day by day or month by month and written, not videos.

been here before
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Researching something for work. Could anyone point me in the direction of an online timeline of WW2 battles and other significant events? Preferably day by day or month by month and written, not videos.

Top of my head and possibly not quite what you're looking for but the World At War, although 45 years old, remains the benchmark of WWII documetaries. Wikipedia had an episode guide as to the subjects covered in each episode in chronological order.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_at_War

Edited by been here before

jonesy
18 minutes ago, been here before said:

Top of my head and possibly not quite what you're looking for but the World At War, although 45 years old, remains the benchmark of WWII documetaries. Wikipedia had an episode guide as to the subjects covered in each episode in chronological order.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_at_War

Cheers. Will take a look. Think I've seen some of the episodes, but not for a long time.

Would ideally also like something like a swingometer to show who was 'winning' throughout the 6 years.

been here before

Roughly

1939-mid44 Germany in Europe. Eastern fron was a little different, as was the Pacufic

mid 44- end of 45- Allies.

Thats all a bit simplistic mind :lol:

jonesy
30 minutes ago, been here before said:

Roughly

1939-mid44 Germany in Europe. Eastern fron was a little different, as was the Pacufic

mid 44- end of 45- Allies.

Thats all a bit simplistic mind :lol:

Yeah, was hoping for a little more detail!

😜 

jonesy
20 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Online search facilities are worth a try. 

What, like Ask Jeeves?

6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Yeah, was hoping for a little more detail!

😜

World at War is peerless in it's information.

Olivier's narration was exceptional.

Class of 75
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Hi mate, there is a very good one on YouTube by a provider called Christopher. Is about 15 mins long but provides audio and sizes of the relative armies involved.

John Findlay

September 3rd 1939 the UK declared war after Germany invaded Poland, France declared war on Germany too.

I would say that Germany was doing well until Hitler made 3 crucial(wrong decisions). He never came across the channel after defeating France in 1940.

He never Fully backed Rommel in North Africa in 1942. His decision to Implement Operation Barbarossa(the invasion of Russia) therefore opening a second front, the Eastern front, was to much for the Wermacht to cope with.

The biggest influence was the Japanese attacking Pearl Harbour on the 7th of December 1941, this making the United States of America enter the war on the side of the allies, instead of remaining neutral. Though how neutral is open to interpretation.

The Frenchman Returns
30 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Actually more or less perfect. Jumping off points for deeper searches, cheers!

Imperial War Museum site pretty good for some specifics. If D Day was the point where things swung the allies way then there is a good section on it

https://www.iwm.org.uk/history/why-d-day-was-so-important-to-allied-victory

9 minutes ago, Locky said:

:rofl: 

I was literally talking about this to folk last week who had no idea what the **** I was on about. Great MSN prank.

I heard the tune somewhere recently... Proper PTSD moment

Jambo_jim2001
5 hours ago, jonesy said:

Would ideally also like something like a swingometer to show who was 'winning' throughout the 6 years.

Only one country gained financially was the American economy,before,during and after.

As mentioned before world at war is a great series, it was part of my school work in the 70s. Then I had my grand fathers who both witnessed it first hand from opposite sides.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, jonesy said:

TimeGhost's superb WW2 coverage is across multiple platforms.

A few years ago they did WW1 week-by-week exactly 100 years after the event.

They're now doing WW2.
They've been going for 4 years already, so their coverage has reached May 1943. 

Weekly videos on their YouTube channel, along with spin-off specials like "Spies&Ties" which covers the intelligence war, "On the Homefront" which covers life behind the front lines and "War Against Humanity" which covers the atrocities committed by all sides.

They do day-by-day posts on their community tab and also on instagram.
https://www.instagram.com/ww2_day_by_day/?hl=en

https://www.youtube.com/c/WorldWarTwo

The World at War is rightly held up as one of the best documentaries ever made and features interviews with people who were there at the time.

But The World at War was made way back in 1973/4 and we know a lot more now than we did then.

Lots of files have been declassified since then and some events of the war have had their perceptions changed over time.

Edited by Cade

8 hours ago, jonesy said:

Can I ask what you work as ?

jonesy
24 minutes ago, Ked said:

Sure you can.

;) 

Malinga the Swinga
7 hours ago, Boab said:

World at War is peerless in it's information.

Olivier's narration was exceptional.

Best documentary ever produced and shown on TV. Every episode exceptional but the one where the concentration camps are covered is simply magnificent, albeit unbelievably harrowing.

4 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Best documentary ever produced and shown on TV. Every episode exceptional but the one where the concentration camps are covered is simply magnificent, albeit unbelievably harrowing.

Indeed.

been here before
1 hour ago, Ked said:

He's a historian at the Imperial War Museum.

Sharpie

The greatest misnomer in my mind is that someone won the war, it had just reached a stage where all concerned said right enough is enough, how could you declare yourself a winner when cities like Berlin and London were in ruins. I watched it all on newsreels, but in September 1952 was in a train from Edinburgh to Kings Cross, and I was in awe at the devastation still showing after seven years. The agony of mothers seeing all the neighbor boys come home and hers would never come home or ever be seen and hugged again. Working the Niddrie and Craigmillar beats where the Thistle Foundation was in your patrols seeing what men were left with as a body after battle, shocking. no for me there are no winners after battle, statistically there may be, in human cost none, a German family who lost everything in an air raid and a British family similar they would ask if we won where is my prize. There is to me some consideration for thought that the subsequent atom bombing of Japanese cities caused some to think deeply.

jonesy
6 minutes ago, been here before said:

He's a historian at the Imperial War Museum.

That's a funny way of spelling Erotic Fiction Editor.

Dirk McClaymore
10 hours ago, jonesy said:

Can you not just consult the collection of Commando comics in your loft, jonesy? 

The Frenchman Returns
43 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

😁😁😁

I thought he was a school teacher 🤷‍♂️

Weakened Offender
5 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I thought he was a school teacher 🤷‍♂️

So did I. 😬

jack D and coke

An incredible time in the world. Really should’ve been the last war ever fought. Still it goes on. 
What the **** are we all about….

Lone Striker
20 hours ago, Sharpie said:

The greatest misnomer in my mind is that someone won the war, it had just reached a stage where all concerned said right enough is enough, how could you declare yourself a winner when cities like Berlin and London were in ruins. I watched it all on newsreels, but in September 1952 was in a train from Edinburgh to Kings Cross, and I was in awe at the devastation still showing after seven years. The agony of mothers seeing all the neighbor boys come home and hers would never come home or ever be seen and hugged again. Working the Niddrie and Craigmillar beats where the Thistle Foundation was in your patrols seeing what men were left with as a body after battle, shocking. no for me there are no winners after battle, statistically there may be, in human cost none, a German family who lost everything in an air raid and a British family similar they would ask if we won where is my prize. There is to me some consideration for thought that the subsequent atom bombing of Japanese cities caused some to think deeply.

Lone Striker

Post of the Year, Bob :notworthy: