***** Official Heart of Midlothian v Rangers Match Thread *****

cookieboy

Watt-Zeefuik
11 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Unsure that is true tbh, How good was the Rangers 98 team in Europe, did they beat teams of Dortmund's standing and knock them out?

The current OF teams are good.

Everyone always says it wasn't the same back in x year etc, etc, but the reality is that the differences are marginal either way.

As someone who wasn't following Scottish football in the 90s, I had to go look it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangers_F.C._in_European_football#1990s_to_2000s

The Wikipedia entry reads like they nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor, nearly stood up to the Vicious Chicken of Bristol, and  personally wet themselves at the Battle of Badon Hill.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HeartsandonlyHearts

• Bazzas right boot

• Don Dan

• RudiSkacel51

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Led Tasso said:

Except that for large portions of the game we absolutely bossed their players, driving them off the ball, and out-passing them dramatically. We lost because we didn't finish our better chances and because our defenders didn't fully have their heads in the game.

That team might have made the top six but it would be right in the mire with the rest of the 4-10 squads.

Oh, I have no doubt over a season we'd better them but that's not the point. If we played our equivalent team at Ibrox it would be going on double figures.

We are, by a distance the best of the rest and this young rangers team spanked us. Like yourself, I have no doubt if we went 100% we'd be better.

However, I disagree about the match- they looked far more assured for large periods on the ball and controlled large parts of the game, in the 2nd half we got better but after the subs I couldn't have named a rangers player.

If we'd won 5-0 or get beat as we did I don't think it effects next weeks game but imo it shows the difference  or gulf that has to be overcome to get close to them.

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

As someone who wasn't following Scottish football in the 90s, I had to go look it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangers_F.C._in_European_football#1990s_to_2000s

The Wikipedia entry reads like they nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor, nearly stood up to the Vicious Chicken of Bristol, and  personally wet themselves at the Battle of Badon Hill.

"The 2011–12 season was Rangers' 51st European campaign. However, due to entering administration in 2012 and the subsequent liquidation of the club's holding company, the new entity that was set up in its place,"

You're not rangers anymore!

10 minutes ago, alanjambo said:

Are people really getting hung up on us losing to a team of Rangers reserves and young 'uns? We were clearly playing for fitness purposes only. How many of their players would we take, despite them beating us? It was a stupid game with a nothing result. I'm not bothered in the slightest.

We should be worried lost our last three games 4-1 2-1 3-1 we are not on form my hope is the players have accepted third and holding back for the cup final 

Watt-Zeefuik
1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

"The 2011–12 season was Rangers' 51st European campaign. However, due to entering administration in 2012 and the subsequent liquidation of the club's holding company, the new entity that was set up in its place,"

You're not rangers anymore!

The late aughts teams, the kind that our 06 squad finished in front of, really were far more accomplished in Europe than the 9-in-a-row squads did.

It's hard to judge between eras but I always think the "98 team was far better than anything we have today" folks are wearing maroon-tinted nostalgia glasses. I don't want to belittle that team or its accomplishments, but while a few of the regulars on that team went on to far bigger things, many were fairly standard SPL players.

I'm just a dumb Yank who knows nothing about football but to my eye the current SPFL is playing better football top to bottom than at any time since I started following it. The current Aberdeen team could have finished third or fourth back in the early teens when it seemed like 6-7 teams played anti-football regularly.

10 minutes ago, jamborich said:

We should be worried lost our last three games 4-1 2-1 3-1 we are not on form my hope is the players have accepted third and holding back for the cup final 

They clearly have. Despite all the talk about playing for final places, I'm certain that next week's team has been known at the club for weeks. The form of the last week means nothing. If we turn up next Saturday we give Rangers a proper game. They're favourites but we're great on our day. Sell see how it goes.

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

The late aughts teams, the kind that our 06 squad finished in front of, really were far more accomplished in Europe than the 9-in-a-row squads did.

It's hard to judge between eras but I always think the "98 team was far better than anything we have today" folks are wearing maroon-tinted nostalgia glasses. I don't want to belittle that team or its accomplishments, but while a few of the regulars on that team went on to far bigger things, many were fairly standard SPL players.

I'm just a dumb Yank who knows nothing about football but to my eye the current SPFL is playing better football top to bottom than at any time since I started following it. The current Aberdeen team could have finished third or fourth back in the early teens when it seemed like 6-7 teams played anti-football regularly.

Unsure of the last statement but I agree with the sentiment .

I also think these Celtic and rangers teams are better than than the likes of their 06 counterparts.

I think next seasons  Hearts team will get over 70 points , still be 20 points+ behind the top 2 tho.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

2 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Sorry, but no. The 1998 team was packed full of outstanding players. That team would walk the league now. From Fulton's class with his left foot, to McCann's pace and skill to Cameron's ability to time a run, we were brilliant. Out defence was fantastic and we were incredibly attacking. That might just be my favourite ever team, and it's not through maroon tinted glasses. That team deserves a lot of respect. It could have won the double had it not been for a few bad results at the end of the season.

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, alanjambo said:

Sorry, but no. The 1998 team was packed full of outstanding players. That team would walk the league now. From Fulton's class with his left foot, to McCann's pace and skill to Cameron's ability to time a run, we were brilliant. Out defence was fantastic and we were incredibly attacking. That might just be my favourite ever team, and it's not through maroon tinted glasses. That team deserves a lot of respect. It could have won the double had it not been for a few bad results at the end of the season.

Nonsense , Rangers who are second are in the Europa league final having beaten teams like Dortmund and RB and they aren't even the best team in Scotland.

Also, the team deserves and does  gets a lot of respect.

8 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Nonsense , Rangers who are second are in the Europa league final having beaten teams like Dortmund and RB and they aren't even the best team in Scotland.

Also, the team deserves and does  gets a lot of respect.

It's not nonsense. The team we had in 1997/98 was better. Different eras etc. But who from the current Rangers team would get into our 1998 team? Or the Rangers 1998 team. Rangers have done brilliantly this season, and deserve all the plaudits going. They'd have been beaten by our 98 team though.

28 minutes ago, alanjambo said:

They clearly have. Despite all the talk about playing for final places, I'm certain that next week's team has been known at the club for weeks. The form of the last week means nothing. If we turn up next Saturday we give Rangers a proper game. They're favourites but we're great on our day. Sell see how it goes.

You ruined your answer by saying if

Watt-Zeefuik
3 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Unsure of the last statement but I agree with the sentiment .

I also think this Celtic and rangers team are better than than the likes of their 06 counterparts.

I think next seasons  Hearts team will get over 70 points , still be 20 points+ behind the top 2 tho.

I won't make predictions for next season. I think the uglies are going to get some mighty tempting offers for a lot of their players and it remains to be seen how well they replace those. Rangers' recruitment in particular hasn't impressed me much this season—most of their best performers are ones who've been there a few years and have kicked on this season. I worry more about Celtic as I think Ange is getting his players in and his breakneck style is not something the current SPFL is ready for at full tilt.

But at some level we can't worry about Celtic and Rangers. If we want to close the gap on them, step 1 is replicating their performances against the rest of the league. I just did a bunch of data munging and stuck it in the spoiler below, but the key line is in pre-split fixtures against the bottom 9, Celtic got 70 points, Rangers got 66, and we got 55.

I don't want to moan and groan about dropped points this season as we had an unmistakeably outstanding season and were newly promoted, but the next step in closing the gap is to not drop buckets of points at Motherwell, St. Mirren, St. Johnstone, etc. The OF each had 1 loss to the bottom 9. We had 5, including that wretched day against Dundee.

If we get 60 points against the bottom 9, we won't be 20+ points off the top 2.

Spoiler

SPFL 2021/22 results vs Bottom 9

Celtic

H/A Period Wins Draws Losses Points
Home First 22 7 2 0 23
Home Next 11 5 0 0 15
Home Split 1 0 0 3
Away First 22 7 1 1 22
Away Next 11 3 1 0 10
Away Split 1 1 0 4

Totals

H/A Points Games Pts/Game
Home 41 15 2.73
Away 36 15 2.4
Pre-split 70 27 2.59
All 77 30 2.56

Rangers

Home First 22 7 2 0 23
Home Next 11 3 1 0 10
Home Split 2 0 0 6
Away First 22 7 1 1 22
Away Next 11 3 2 0 11
Away Split 1 0 0 3

Totals

Home 39 15 2.6
Away 36 15 2.4
Pre-split 66 27 2.44
All 75 30 2.5

Hearts

Home First 22 6 3 0 21
Home Next 11 4 0 1 12
Home Split 0 1 0 1
Away First 22 4 3 2 15
Away Next 11 1 2 1 5
Away Split 1 0 1 3

Totals

Home 34 15 2.27
Away 23 15 1.53
Pre-split 55 27 2.04
All 57 30 1.9

Watt-Zeefuik
56 minutes ago, alanjambo said:

It's not nonsense. The team we had in 1997/98 was better. Different eras etc. But who from the current Rangers team would get into our 1998 team? Or the Rangers 1998 team. Rangers have done brilliantly this season, and deserve all the plaudits going. They'd have been beaten by our 98 team though.

Without question there were some absolutely outstanding players in that squad, either on their way to brighter lights or on their way from them, and we got some outstanding performances.

But are you saying Alfredo Morales wouldn't get a start over Jim Hamilton? No disrespect to Salvatori, but I daresay I'd take  Jack over him. Gary Locke, the tremendous Hearts servant, got 24 appearances and 18 starts in that team, are you saying he'd walk into the current Rangers team? Rangers current defence is suspect but I'm not sure Pointon at the stage of his career he  was at in 1998 would be getting picked by GvB.

This is what I mean. We remember Cameron, Fulton, Wear, McCann, etc. but we did not have 16 players on par with what Rangers can field today. No one can argue with what Adam contributed to the club but I'm not sure I'd even put him ahead of Simms on his current form.

As brilliant as that Hearts team was for us, they still never finished ahead of OF squads that were, in their European adventures, decidedly poor, and this was still before the revenue gap with English clubs truly exploded.

All respect to the 98 team. It's time to give our current squad some respect too.

Geoff Kilpatrick
13 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Without question there were some absolutely outstanding players in that squad, either on their way to brighter lights or on their way from them, and we got some outstanding performances.

But are you saying Alfredo Morales wouldn't get a start over Jim Hamilton? No disrespect to Salvatori, but I daresay I'd take  Jack over him. Gary Locke, the tremendous Hearts servant, got 24 appearances and 18 starts in that team, are you saying he'd walk into the current Rangers team? Rangers current defence is suspect but I'm not sure Pointon at the stage of his career he  was at in 1998 would be getting picked by GvB.

This is what I mean. We remember Cameron, Fulton, Wear, McCann, etc. but we did not have 16 players on par with what Rangers can field today. No one can argue with what Adam contributed to the club but I'm not sure I'd even put him ahead of Simms on his current form.

As brilliant as that Hearts team was for us, they still never finished ahead of OF squads that were, in their European adventures, decidedly poor, and this was still before the revenue gap with English clubs truly exploded.

All respect to the 98 team. It's time to give our current squad some respect too.

Christ on a bike!

The only players from our present team who'd get into the 98 team are Craig Gordon (although Gilles was magnificent) and Barrie McKay over Tam Flogel. If Beni was fit he would beat out Salvatori.

Watt-Zeefuik
13 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Christ on a bike!

The only players from our present team who'd get into the 98 team are Craig Gordon (although Gilles was magnificent) and Barrie McKay over Tam Flogel. If Beni was fit he would beat out Salvatori.

Gary Locke was that much better than both Devlin and Haring?

And I note that the alanjambo's assertion wasn't just that no one from our current team could get into that team, but no one from the Rangers team that just convincingly beat the 2nd and 4th place Bundesliga teams in a major European competition could get into that team. Seriously?

I get that the 98 squad was better than our current squad. I'm really not trying to argue that. But FFS much of that same squad finished 6th the next season and couldn't get past Mallorca in the CWC, but they're better across the park than the current Rangers squad? Be serious!

Geoff Kilpatrick
2 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

And I note that the alanjambo's assertion wasn't just that no one from our current team could get into that team, but no one from the Rangers team that just convincingly beat the 2nd and 4th place Bundesliga teams in a major European competition could get into that team. Seriously?

I get that the 98 squad was better than our current squad. I'm really not trying to argue that. But FFS much of that same squad finished 6th the next season and couldn't get past Mallorca in the CWC, but they're better across the park than the current Rangers squad? Be serious!

Gary Locke spent most of the season injured! Peas and Gravy was RB in the final and is and was better than either Smith or Atkinson.

Edit: As for Sevco, I couldn't tell you what the current team is, to be quite frank because I don't pay that much attention these days to games not involving us. What I do know is that back in 98, the suspension of Albertz was a massive boost because he had been the difference for them all season.

Edited by Geoff Kilpatrick

Makes me chuckle. Our form since the split has been, well ropey at best. But and it’s a huge but, we were already secured in league position and a cup final berth in the back pocket. Do you honestly think the same lazy fare attitude and non commitment to 50/50 tackles will be evident next Saturday? Nope, not a chance.

we start Monday on preparations for a massive cup final. Der Hun start theirs on Thursday with a hangover of some sort.

I only see maroon and white ribbons on this years Scottish Cup

Bazzas right boot
9 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Agree. 

Nostalgia plays tricks with folks minds. 

Although I think some folk on here are just way to keen to play down this Hearts team for other reasons. 

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Gary Locke spent most of the season injured! Peas and Gravy was RB in the final and is and was better than either Smith or Atkinson.

Edit: As for Sevco, I couldn't tell you what the current team is, to be quite frank because I don't pay that much attention these days to games not involving us. What I do know is that back in 98, the suspension of Albertz was a massive boost because he had been the difference for them all season.

Big Dave was not a better rb than Smith or Aki. 

He was a brilliant central defender but was at best awkward at rb and I can't even imagine him playing the modern role of rwb. 

The need to play down the current Hearts team is a bit sad Tbh. 

Bazzas right boot
10 hours ago, alanjambo said:

The current rangers team over the 98 Hearts team? 

Lots of them. 

I like the thought but it's just emotional, bias nostalgic drivel - as one would expect from a Hearts fan reminiscing about a great day. 

However, It has no factual basis and if this rangers team wins a European trophy it will go down as one of the best Scottish sides - ever and recognized across Europe as such. 

This rangers  team also won the league undefeated last season. 

They've lost I think 1 league game to a non of side in 2 season. 

Been beaten at home once in 2 seasons a well. 

A bit of perspective is required. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Watt-Zeefuik
8 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

As mentioned above, according to London Hearts, Locke played in 24 games, starting 18 of them, including 16 starts in 21 league appearances. I know he was injured for the second half, but that pretty clearly indicates that when fit, he was first pick. And again, I don't want to run down a fantastic servant to our club, the notion that that entire team would supplant players in a Europa League final team is ****ing mental on its face, unless you believe that not just Scottish football, but ALL European football has utterly collapsed in quality in 25 years. Which is fine I suppose but I don't see the evidence for it.

I despair for how much even Scots have swallowed the Sky Sports/Doncaster/English view of Scottish football as utterly shite. The MLS is probably the highest quality it's ever been and the even current ****ing Hibs team would have a winning record in it. This Hearts team would be a title contender. Yes, it's a step down from the richest league in the world that's currently probably the best it's ever been Rangers have pretty clearly shown that the OF can go toe to toe with the upper end of the Bundesliga without fear. The team in the relegation playoff managed a draw against Galatasaray in Istanbul at the start of the season!

Again while I didn't watch the season live, all evidence does say that the 98 team was on balance better than the current one at most positions, but folk downplaying the accomplishments of the current team against a supposedly poor SPFL are IMO radically underestimating the current quality of Scottish football, and by extension, downplaying the achievements of this squad.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
15 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Unsure that is true tbh, How good was the Rangers 98 team in Europe, did they beat teams of Dortmund's standing and knock them out?

The current OF teams are good.

Everyone always says it wasn't the same back in x year etc, etc, but the reality is that the differences are marginal either way.

Rangers team with Gaza, Laudrup, MCCoist, Durie, etc etc was much better than their current team.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
3 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

The current rangers team over the 98 Hearts team? 

Lots of them. 

I like the thought but it's just emotional, bias nostalgic drivel - as one would expect from a Hearts fan reminiscing about a great day. 

However, It has no factual basis and if this rangers team wins a European trophy it will go down as one of the best Scottish sides - ever and recognized across Europe as such. 

This rangers  team also won the league undefeated last season. 

They've lost I think 1 league game to a non of side in 2 season. 

Been beaten at home once in 2 seasons a well. 

A bit of perspective is required. 

It’s also a really shite question.

The proper question is - who of the Rangers 98 team would get into the Hearts 98 team and the answer is on form and talent at least 7 or 8.

But we still won….

Jambo 4 Ever
5 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Rangers team with Gaza, Laudrup, MCCoist, Durie, etc etc was much better than their current team.

We were probably better back then than we are now too tbh

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

It’s also a really shite question.

The proper question is - who of the Rangers 98 team would get into the Hearts 98 team and the answer is on form and talent at least 7 or 8.

But we still won….

Yip. 

When we beat Celtic 4-0 at Tynecastle how many of our players would get in thier team.... 

It's a daft question, but hopefully on the day we are good. 

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Mcoist, durie where at the end of their career and  even with gazza, compare to Ramseys career he's way short. 

Laudrup I really can't really argue with. 

Also the poster said rangers players of today in the 98 Hearts team not the 98 rangers team, but you've already answered that, it's daft. 

It's twighlight zone stuff. 😂😂

18 hours ago, chrystaf said:

Agree.  We had two at Motherwell but none today, the perfect game to give them a taste of Tynie against the Hun's youths.

Robbie got it wrong today.  He didn't need to play the likes of Boyce, Simms, etc.  He should have given Soutar, Halliday and Halkett a start and not Smith who was toiling.

He should also have put on more subs to give them game time.

It was irritating to hear the Hun sing " beaten by our youth team" but sadly accurate.  Their youngsters were up for it, faster than us and hungrier, whereas rightly or wrongly we couldn't be arsed.  As a pre-final match it it bore no benefit to us whatsoever. 

We didn’t play against Rangers youths yesterday.  Their starting eleven had  8 full internationalists in it. 

16 hours ago, alanjambo said:

Are people really getting hung up on us losing to a team of Rangers reserves and young 'uns? We were clearly playing for fitness purposes only. How many of their players would we take, despite them beating us? It was a stupid game with a nothing result. I'm not bothered in the slightest.

It’s strange how many of our supposed fans think we played against their youth team yesterday.  They actually started with more internationalists on the pitch , 8 of them, than we did. They had close to 300 caps in their starting 11 but folk keep posting that we lost to their youth team.  They had one player whose earns double the weekly wage of our entire starting eleven. They started a guy that has 134 caps, youth team indeed. Mind-boggling lack of football knowledge. 

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

On paper yes but football isn’t played on paper and half that team was over the hill (if it wasn’t they would have got 10 in a row).  That team only got 72 points, hardly impressive.  Mind you iirc Gazza went to Middlesbrough half way through the season - if he hadn’t I’m pretty sure they would have got 10 in a row. Also, despite all these so called star players during that era they never got to a European final.

Geoff Kilpatrick
5 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

As mentioned above, according to London Hearts, Locke played in 24 games, starting 18 of them, including 16 starts in 21 league appearances. I know he was injured for the second half, but that pretty clearly indicates that when fit, he was first pick. And again, I don't want to run down a fantastic servant to our club, the notion that that entire team would supplant players in a Europa League final team is ****ing mental on its face, unless you believe that not just Scottish football, but ALL European football has utterly collapsed in quality in 25 years. Which is fine I suppose but I don't see the evidence for it.

I despair for how much even Scots have swallowed the Sky Sports/Doncaster/English view of Scottish football as utterly shite. The MLS is probably the highest quality it's ever been and the even current ****ing Hibs team would have a winning record in it. This Hearts team would be a title contender. Yes, it's a step down from the richest league in the world that's currently probably the best it's ever been Rangers have pretty clearly shown that the OF can go toe to toe with the upper end of the Bundesliga without fear. The team in the relegation playoff managed a draw against Galatasaray in Istanbul at the start of the season!

Again while I didn't watch the season live, all evidence does say that the 98 team was on balance better than the current one at most positions, but folk downplaying the accomplishments of the current team against a supposedly poor SPFL are IMO radically underestimating the current quality of Scottish football, and by extension, downplaying the achievements of this squad.

No one is downplaying this season. Equally, when you post shite, you'll be called out for it. You said Devlin and Haring were better than Locke. I'd agree. Pity Locke never played in midfield though in 98. He was a right back!

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

No one is downplaying this season. Equally, when you post shite, you'll be called out for it. You said Devlin and Haring were better than Locke. I'd agree. Pity Locke never played in midfield though in 98. He was a right back!

Fine, as I said, I wasn't a Hearts fan then so I rely on videos and history. I've mostly just seen that season's SC run, where as you say, he was injured, and I have to rely on internet bios.

And yes, shite that has been mentioned on this thread:

- That no current Rangers player could get into the 98 team, by alanjambo

- That Gary Locke was injured for most of 97/98 season,, by you

- That Gary Locke played midfield on that squad, by me. Mea culpa.

Since you initially pulled me up after I called out the first point, I again ask you if you think the first point is reasonable, and if not, could you kindly review the course of the thread and wind your neck in?

Also, I love when people on the internet say, "no one is saying such and such" when this board has been rank with Neilson skeptics saying that third this season is no major accomplishment because the league is shite, and that it would have been relegated in 98. Yes, there are actual multiple users with thousands of posts saying this on this very board. So you're not saying it? Good, I'm not talking about you then.

Edited by Led Tasso

Geoff Kilpatrick
9 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Fine, as I said, I wasn't a Hearts fan then so I rely on videos and history. I've mostly just seen that season's SC run, where as you say, he was injured, and I have to rely on internet bios.

And yes, shite that has been mentioned on this thread:

- That no current Rangers player could get into the 98 team, by alanjambo

- That Gary Locke was injured for most of 97/98 season,, by you

- That Gary Locke played midfield on that squad, by me. Mea culpa.

Since you initially pulled me up after I called out the first point, I again ask you if you think the first point is reasonable, and if not, could you kindly review the course of the thread and wind your neck in?

Also, I love when people on the internet say, "no one is saying such and such" when this board has been rank with Neilson skeptics saying that third this season is no major accomplishment because the league is shite, and that it would have been relegated in 98. Yes, there are actual multiple users with thousands of posts saying this on this very board. So you're not saying it? Good, I'm not talking about you then.

No, I think the first point is bollocks re the 98 Rangers team because they had such luminaries as Stale Stensaas playing, who was horseshit. I couldn't honestly tell you who plays LB for Sevco now (Bassey is it?) but I know how shit Stensaas was to the point that Steven KIngsley is a far better player.

Incidentally, the reason I called you out is because that 98 team still stands to me as the finest Hearts side of the last 25 years. The 2006 team might have had more quality players but the 98 team was a great side who should have won the league that year. No non Old Firm side has come as close since that side and they were so good to watch. So when you were putting the current team up on a pedestal alongside them, you need to temper that, especially when you yourself said you never watched them in the flesh.

Watt-Zeefuik
5 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

No, I think the first point is bollocks re the 98 Rangers team because they had such luminaries as Stale Stensaas playing, who was horseshit. I couldn't honestly tell you who plays LB for Sevco now (Bassey is it?) but I know how shit Stensaas was to the point that Steven KIngsley is a far better player.

Incidentally, the reason I called you out is because that 98 team still stands to me as the finest Hearts side of the last 25 years. The 2006 team might have had more quality players but the 98 team was a great side who should have won the league that year. No non Old Firm side has come as close since that side and they were so good to watch. So when you were putting the current team up on a pedestal alongside them, you need to temper that, especially when you yourself said you never watched them in the flesh.

Look, you're not going to bother actually keeping up on what was said before flying off the handle and reacting at what you think was said, and then dig in when you can't be bothered to scroll back a few pages, this isn't a conversation worth having.

You're continuing to argue with straw men and I for one and not feeling terribly scarecrowish today.

18 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Hi Led Tasso , are you really asking the question about Gary Locke v Devlin and Haring? 
shame …..Gary Locke imo would’ve driven these two to a different level ,the lad deserves every accolade of a legend, my memories of him getting injured and the team dipping was 🤮

anyway ,I’ve just seen a couple more replies arrive before posting this and just want to put you straight on the FACT that Gary Locke was a step above Devlin and Haring and if these two hopefully ever get to his level? We will be blessed 😇 

Watt-Zeefuik
1 minute ago, maggieb said:

Hi Led Tasso , are you really asking the question about Gary Locke v Devlin and Haring? 
shame …..Gary Locke imo would’ve driven these two to a different level ,the lad deserves every accolade of a legend, my memories of him getting injured and the team dipping was 🤮

anyway ,I’ve just seen a couple more replies arrive before posting this and just want to put you straight on the FACT that Gary Locke was a step above Devlin and Haring and if these two hopefully ever get to his level? We will be blessed 😇 

Cheers, I really haven't gotten to see much of his play. At some point I had thought the consensus among Hearts fans was that he was an oustanding club captain but limited in ability. I'm in no position to speak to it myself.

Since I've seen a bit more of Stefano, I'll switch to him and say from what I've seen, while he was a servicable midfielder on a great team, I'd take Beni's potential over him, is that outrageous to say?

been here before
5 hours ago, maggieb said:

You are aware that typing "FACT" in big capital letters after you've made a statement on the internet doesnt necessarly make a statement, in this case your opinion, a fact?

3 hours ago, been here before said:

You are aware that typing "FACT" in big capital letters after you've made a statement on the internet doesnt necessarly make a statement, in this case your opinion, a fact?

You learn something new every day ,for this one, THANK YOU 

I missed Saturday's game.  Had the chance to do something else.  One of my deciding factors was why would I want to listen to ignorant bigots waving Union Jacks singing about hating Catholics two weeks in a row.  No point in spoiling two Saturdays.  

The Dragon Reborn
26 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

I missed Saturday's game.  Had the chance to do something else.  One of my deciding factors was why would I want to listen to ignorant bigots waving Union Jacks singing about hating Catholics two weeks in a row.  No point in spoiling two Saturdays.  

Or three weeks in a row if you include the jubilee.

🙃

Edited by The Dragon Reborn