***** Official Heart of Midlothian v Rangers Match Thread *****

cookieboy

Souttar and Smith should at least be on the bench in the final in case it goes to a penalty shoot out. Both can take pens

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HeartsandonlyHearts

• Bazzas right boot

• Don Dan

• Geoff Kilpatrick

The Treasurer
25 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Souttar and Smith should at least be on the bench in the final in case it goes to a penalty shoot out. Both can take pens

Bringing on players just for a penalty shoot out is not a good idea 

2 hours ago, Seaside Dave said:

Anyone any suggestions as to what I should do? I've emailed the club twice and no response Ive rang 4 different phone numbers and none picking up. I've a flight to Edinburgh in the morning and my postman has been and all and still haven't got my match day ticket for the league game 

I've no idea why nobody's replied to your email as lots of folks on here say they get a quick reply but I'm sure if you pop into the ticket office once you get here they'll sort you out with a reprint. Perhaps better make it later on in the day as they'll be busy with the 600 extra cup final tickets in the morning.

35 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Bringing on players just for a penalty shoot out is not a good idea 

Might do better than Wighton and kingsley

Bazzas right boot

Rangers playing a completely reserve or youthful side would concern me a little. 

They'll be eager, keen to impress and be buzzing  about in what would be a very big game for them. 

More likley to pick up an injury from a over zealous young player trying to impress than some of thier more experienced players playing for match fitness. 

skinnybob72

Play some guys who won’t be in the squad in the SCF and target any of their likely starting 11 with some meaty challenges, just boot them off the park. 

Pans Jambo

Difficult one to call.

Rangers have one eye on Wednesday so they may not be 100%. OR Players are told to go and prove they deserve a starting slot on Wednesday.

Hearts may be the same. Last chance to prove you deserve to play in the Scottish Cup Final.

Or both teams just play out an end of season bore-fest as both don't want to get injured and apart from bragging rights, its an end of season meaningless game. 0-0, 1-1 type affair.

I'm thinking both teams are up for it first half 1 -1 and then they both calm down 2nd half after 1 hour played 0-0 so 1-1 Full time.

For me the starting line up for the final should be:

Gordon

Smith Soapy Halkett Kingsley

Haring Cammy

Natty    Boyce    McKay

Simms

So I would look to protect that as much as possible whilst realising some of those boys (like Smith, Soapy, Halkett & Cammy) need game time. As such for Saturday I would go for:

Stewart

Smith Soapy Halkett Cochrane

Cammy Halliday

McEneff  Woodburn  GMS

Gino

And would bring most of the game time injury mob off after 60 mins before the Rangers youth team get the instructions from the bench to start targeting some of our better players.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
5 minutes ago, Arfur said:

So I would look to protect that as much as possible whilst realising some of those boys (like Smith, Soapy, Halkett & Cammy) need game time. As such for Saturday I would go for:

Stewart

Cammy Halliday

McEneff  Woodburn  GMS

Gino

And would bring most of the game time injury mob off after 60 mins before the Rangers youth team get the instructions from the bench to start targeting some of our better players.

Against Motherwell, Smith came on and played like someone who has been out for most of the season with several misplaced passes. Not his fault, but no way is he fit enough to be on the bench for the cup final. Never mind that Natty is a far better option (no idea why you think Smith and Natty could play in the same cup final team BTW). 

I'd also much rather have Liam McFarlane, our u18's goalie (he's a big lad and been in outstanding form) than the Periera-esque Stewart.

I can see the value in resting Kingsley, but starting two cm's that have been out injured is also a no-go. Given Sibbick is now injured, my bet is that Kingsley will start with hopefully Soapy and Halkett both coming on after 60 mins.

I've been banging on about the fact that both Rangers and Celtic have outstanding midfield players that simply run through us every game and that it seems to me to be a dumb-ass idea to persist with a 2-man midfield. We simply have to stop playing into their hands and set up with 3 in the middle.

Saturday I would go for:

McFarlane

Natty Moore Kingsley Cochrane

Cammy Haring Halliday

Gino Woodburn  GMS

1 minute ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Against Motherwell, Smith came on and played like someone who has been out for most of the season with several misplaced passes. Not his fault, but no way is he fit enough to be on the bench for the cup final. Never mind that Natty is a far better option (no idea why you think Smith and Natty could play in the same cup final team BTW). 

I'd also much rather have Liam McFarlane, our u18's goalie (he's a big lad and been in outstanding form) than the Periera-esque Stewart.

I can see the value in resting Kingsley, but starting two cm's that have been out injured is also a no-go. Given Sibbick is now injured, my bet is that Kingsley will start with hopefully Soapy and Halkett both coming on after 60 mins.

I've been banging on about the fact that both Rangers and Celtic have outstanding midfield players that simply run through us every game and that it seems to me to be a dumb-ass idea to persist with a 2-man midfield. We simply have to stop playing into their hands and set up with 3 in the middle.

Saturday I would go for:

McFarlane

Cammy Haring Halliday

Gino Woodburn  GMS

Natty can’t defend to save himself so I think he would be better utilised further forward as more of an attacking winger, leave the defensive duties to someone like Smith who will not give the ball away in dangerous positions as Natty has a tendency to do.

And why not start both Soapy and Halkett together in a meaningless game? I would much rather have them in a cup final team with them in it with 60/70 minutes under their belt than 30. What benefit do we get out of Moore and Kingsley starting? A player who we know what his limitations are and a player that frankly I would be unwilling to risk another injury too. We are already going into the game with 2 of our best defenders coming back from injury.

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Arfur said:

Natty can’t defend to save himself so I think he would be better utilised further forward as more of an attacking winger, leave the defensive duties to someone like Smith who will not give the ball away in dangerous positions as Natty has a tendency to do.

And why not start both Soapy and Halkett together in a meaningless game? I would much rather have them in a cup final team with them in it with 60/70 minutes under their belt than 30. What benefit do we get out of Moore and Kingsley starting? A player who we know what his limitations are and a player that frankly I would be unwilling to risk another injury too. We are already going into the game with 2 of our best defenders coming back from injury.

I have very high hopes for Atkinson. He has great natural attributes for Scotland and he suits our fluid way of playing perfectly.

He's also got a manager who was a pretty average footballer but understood the right back position so well that he was a very effective player. If Robbie can teach Natty what he knows about the defensive positioning side we're on to something with this lad.

Bob Loblaw

Seems to be a bit of a myth being accepted as fact that Atkinson is poor defensively. He's got things to work on absolutely, but he's not exactly some kind of bombscare. His athleticism is a big attribute as well.

joondalupjambo

Anyone bought a ticket for this game and not received it yet?  I purchased one last Friday, nada.  Usually get them in 2 working days.

Phoned ticket office a few times yesterday afternoon , kept ringing out and line going dead.  Sent email on Wednesday night asking if no ticket appears what do, no reply.  Obviously they are busy today.

Living out of town what is best to do, just rock at the ticket office early on Saturday?

15 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Anyone bought a ticket for this game and not received it yet?  I purchased one last Friday, nada.  Usually get them in 2 working days.

Phoned ticket office a few times yesterday afternoon , kept ringing out and line going dead.  Sent email on Wednesday night asking if no ticket appears what do, no reply.  Obviously they are busy today.

Living out of town what is best to do, just rock at the ticket office early on Saturday?

I also ordered a while back, left it until today. Ironically my final ticket arrived this morning but my league game ticket didn't.

I emailed them this morning and they got back to me straight away, offering to send me a digital ticket. All sorted. I do wonder why I didn't have the option to order a digital ticket in the first place, not sure if it's something to do with it being post split? I had to go with paper tickets for both post-split fixtures. Hope you get it sorted via [email protected]

1 hour ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Do you know this or Just your opinion?

It is just my opinion. I don't think he will play for us again. He needs some game time before the final and he hasn't played for weeks and weeks and should have been getting eased back gradually.

If he features tomorrow then he could well play in the Final at some point however I just don't think he will.

I really hope he does make it and he could leave on a real high.

Gordon 

Atkinson halkrtt Kingsley Cochrane 

Haring Devlin 

Gino Boyce McKay 

Simms 

Ginelly has been playing very well.past few games can't leave him out of final 11 this is mine 

1 hour ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Saturday I would go for:

McFarlane

Cammy Haring Halliday

Gino Woodburn  GMS

You must have missed this.

Liam McFarlane has made an emergency loan move to Montrose.

The Wee Jambos' number one makes the week-long switch to League One and will feature at Stair Park tonight as the Gable Endies play the first leg of their Championship play off semi final against Airdrieonians. 

Liam has played regularly for Steven Naismith's Under-18s this campaign, and recently put in a spectacular performance in the Youth Cup Final at Hampden. 

The club wishes Liam every success in Angus. 

18 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

You must have missed this.

Liam McFarlane has made an emergency loan move to Montrose.

The Wee Jambos' number one makes the week-long switch to League One and will feature at Stair Park tonight as the Gable Endies play the first leg of their Championship play off semi final against Airdrieonians. 

Liam has played regularly for Steven Naismith's Under-18s this campaign, and recently put in a spectacular performance in the Youth Cup Final at Hampden. 

The club wishes Liam every success in Angus. 

It was only for a week

2 minutes ago, kila said:

It was only for a week

Hadn't realised that. The last line in the statement from the club threw me a bit as they say we wish him well in Angus.

44 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

It is just my opinion. I don't think he will play for us again. He needs some game time before the final and he hasn't played for weeks and weeks and should have been getting eased back gradually.

If he features tomorrow then he could well play in the Final at some point however I just don't think he will.

I really hope he does make it and he could leave on a real high.

If Souttar doesn’t get at least 30 minutes on Saturday I just can’t see him playing in the final.

5 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

If Souttar doesn’t get at least 30 minutes on Saturday I just can’t see him playing in the final.

I agree. Don't quite understand why he has been on the bench and not given any game time. Maybe tomorroe.

2 hours ago, Arfur said:

For me the starting line up for the final should be:

Gordon

Smith Soapy Halkett Kingsley

Haring Cammy

Natty    Boyce    McKay

Simms

Stewart

Cammy Halliday

McEneff  Woodburn  GMS

Gino

I like your team for the final. Atkinson would make that right side very difficult to come down IMO.

3 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I agree. Don't quite understand why he has been on the bench and not given any game time. Maybe tomorroe.

Me neither 🤷‍♂️

Rangers line up will be interesting. Given what the prize is on Wednesday (Cup and CL groups). For them it’s all about Wednesday. Tomorrow will be a nothing game for them as no chance are they risking any injuries before Wednesday 

1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

Who is the referee tomorrow?

Referee:Kevin Clancy
AR1Frank Connor
AR2John McCrossan
Fourth Official Mike Roncone
AAR1-
AAR2

joondalupjambo
2 hours ago, DB1874 said:

I also ordered a while back, left it until today. Ironically my final ticket arrived this morning but my league game ticket didn't.

I emailed them this morning and they got back to me straight away, offering to send me a digital ticket. All sorted. I do wonder why I didn't have the option to order a digital ticket in the first place, not sure if it's something to do with it being post split? I had to go with paper tickets for both post-split fixtures. Hope you get it sorted via [email protected]

Literally got back to me 10 minutes ago and sorted me out, like you with a digital ticket.  I wonder why these league tickets never got sent out as normal?  Like you I do not think I got the option of a digital one either.  I have a ST but this ticket is for my son.  

Anyway thankfully sorted out because otherwise it was going to be an early trip tomorrow from the far reaches of Fife to the TO but can relax a bit now.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

If he's playing, willl the Rangers players be wary of too strong a tackle, since he'll be a player for them next season?  Or will some of the present defenders make tackles that ensure that he doesn't come in and take their place in the team?

41 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Referee:Kevin Clancy
AR1Frank Connor
AR2John McCrossan
Fourth Official Mike Roncone
AAR1-
AAR2

A useless lanky w*** of a referee! 
Danger of a straight red for one of our players!

Watt-Zeefuik
On 12/05/2022 at 09:18, jambos are go! said:

My opinion is that Neilson  is trying to work out a way to attack Rangers over these last few games. Hope I am right and he gets it right.

I agree but he won't be showing his hand this match. No sense giving GVB a week to prepare knowing what our plan of attack will be.

TBH I would put on a team of the fastest reserves we have and try to make the game as fast-paced and wide open as possible. Fatigue is the best advantage we have for next week, so make them chase us a bit. Give the fans who show up something for their day too.

No idea what team Robbie will play. He might look to get all our guys match sharp, he might play a team of fringe players and youths.

Seaside Dave
On 12/05/2022 at 13:59, Seaside Dave said:

Anyone any suggestions as to what I should do? I've emailed the club twice and no response Ive rang 4 different phone numbers and none picking up. I've a flight to Edinburgh in the morning and my postman has been and all and still haven't got my match day ticket for the league game 

Got sorted in the end bit of a shambles on my part lol say no more 🤣🤣🤣 roll on the match 

Halkett, Souttar, Smith and Devlin all to play 65-70 mins to get them some match sharpness. No need to risk Kingsley, Simms or McKay, maybe just 15/20 mins off the bench to keep them ticking over. 

I think rangers will play youngsters as all their focus is on wed so we should look to get a win with our fringe players for confidence. Maybe not for tomorrow because it will be a completely different team we will be up against in the final, but I agree with another poster who said we need 3 in the middle of the park. Every single game in Glasgow we get over ran in the middle of the park and we are crying out for three in there! Should maybe try it tomorrow for a small period of time but because it’s at tynie and against a second string rangers team, it will be completely different circumstances tomorrow 

Pretty much my thoughts.  The game is nuisance value to Rangers and they will risk nothing.  It's far more important for us as 4 of our best players need game time.  I support Barrie McKay just getting 20 minutes or so.

Sticking to a 4-0 win.

Smith&Weston

Smith,Devlin, Souttar & Halkett have to play today for me to have any chance of starting next week.  Can’t just swan into a cup final with Rangers and not have played for months.  The rest, cotton wool especially McKay, Simms, Gordon, Kingsley and maybe even Haring.

10 minutes ago, Smith&Weston said:

Smith,Devlin, Souttar & Halkett have to play today for me to have any chance of starting next week.  Can’t just swan into a cup final with Rangers and not have played for months.  The rest, cotton wool especially McKay, Simms, Gordon, Kingsley and maybe even Haring.

Agree 👍

Start Cammy Souttar Halkett Smith get some game time, then the youths. Maybe play Gino, see if he can keep his goal scoring up to fight for his place. 

19/05/2012

Think Neilson will go strong for this one will want to end the season on a high.

Gordon

Atkinson Souttar Halkett Kingsley Halliday

Haring Devlin

Gino Simms Mckay

PapaShango
20 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Yeah happened to me. Emailed them yesterday and they sent over digital tickets that I downloaded to my phone. They did say I could pick up tickets at the ticket office as well so if you need to do that just go in.

Ticket just purchased as wasn't sure if I could make it today. Let's get right in about them !! I'm sure Robbie will want to win the final game of the season at home for the fans ♥️ HHGH 

TyphoonJambo

What's the odds on Mckay taking a sore one today?

21 hours ago, Arfur said:

Disagree with that think he's getting better and better by the game. His tracking back and defending is improving and he offers such a threat down the wing. No offence to smith but he is done as a wingback he just doesn't have that pace anymore. Love him and he's been brilliant but time to move him inside for next season if Moore and soutter away. 

Dick Dastardly

The Scotsman calling The Rangers out for who they are.... 

Screenshot_20220514_072910_com.android.chrome.jpg

Edited by Dick Dastardly
Spelling