The Eurovision Song Contest 2022

FWJ

2 hours ago, FWJ said:

(Sorry I didn’t mean my post to sound so hostile!  I’m a bit Linda Martin right now….)

I remember seeing a TV show she was on - it was a chat show or something and she took a dislike to someone in the audience.  Tell you what, you’d want her in your side in a fight.

Linda has been in Ireland's national song contest more often than anyone else, and went to Eurovision twice, finishing second in 1984 and winning in 1992. 

Now is probably a good time to mention (a) that a couple of her great-grandparents moved to Belfast from Larkhall (yikes), and (b) that her family name was originally, er, Martini. :laugh:

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ulysses

• FWJ

• Cade

• JudyJudyJudy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, FWJ said:

Just realised it’s 12 x 39 (because they  can’t vote for themselves) 468

So they got 439 out of a possible 468…

439/39 = 11.26.

Feck, that took me long enough.  :rolleyes3: :laugh:

The original point was that the Juries always vote geographically and politically.
Every year, the same nation's juries give the same other nations 12 points, no matter what.

"Twelve point go to our good friends....." and so on.

The public vote largely ignores that bollocks and goes where it wants every year, changing its allegiances according to public opinion at the time.

Some years the public vote for what they like musically. Like last year, when they skooshed the Jury votes and fired Maneskin to victory.

This year it was undeniably political solidarity with Ukraine.

The point is that the Jury and Public votes have a huge disconnect and makes you wonder what the point of the Juries even is anymore.

36 minutes ago, Cade said:

The original point was that the Juries always vote geographically and politically.
Every year, the same nation's juries give the same other nations 12 points, no matter what.

"Twelve point go to our good friends....." and so on.

The public vote largely ignores that bollocks and goes where it wants every year, changing its allegiances according to public opinion at the time.

Some years the public vote for what they like musically. Like last year, when they skooshed the Jury votes and fired Maneskin to victory.

This year it was undeniably political solidarity with Ukraine.

The point is that the Jury and Public votes have a huge disconnect and makes you wonder what the point of the Juries even is anymore.

In other words, both votes have politics, but the politics are different. 

If the juries always vote geographically and politically, that doesn't explain why in 2021 the UK got 0 votes from juries, but in 2022 got 283.  Or why France got 248 jury votes in 2021 but only 9 in 2022.  Or why Spain got 6 jury votes in 2021, but got 231 in 2022.  The reason's obvious.  Politics notwithstanding, the professional juries rated the entries completely differently in the two years.

The reason the jury and public votes have a disconnect is partly because the politics are different, and partly because the judgements being made are different.  The voting audience is more likely to be influenced by performance and staging, while the musicians and critics are more likely to be influenced by writing, which is why "novelty" acts tend to win out more in the public votes.  It doesn't mean that one is right and the other is wrong, in fact the opposite.  If they only used public votes, the winners would mostly be invaded countries or novelty acts.  If they only used juries made up of luvvies, the winners would all be technically well-crafted songs that nobody would actually like.

gashauskis9
4 hours ago, Steak said:

Tbf Ukraine's song was pretty good

Yep, which is a shame because they won’t get recognition as artists because it was clearly a huge humanitarian vote. 

Mac_fae_Gillie
3 hours ago, FWJ said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurovision_Song_Contest_2022

If you scroll down to ‘Scoreboard’ and to the final you can see exactly who gave points where.  The UK’s televote was fairly unremarkable other than giving Poland 10 (Ireland did too)

2 countries with high Polish migrant numbers.. happen to give Poland a high score. Does seem to show the peoples vote is just too bias.

16 minutes ago, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

2 countries with high Polish migrant numbers.. happen to give Poland a high score. Does seem to show the peoples vote is just too bias.

People are biased shocker. :)

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, the general said:

Or near  old Wheatsheaf ?

37 minutes ago, conn artist said:

At the skatepark/ balgreen side.

193 balgreen rd according to Google. 

The lamb shawarma wrap is delicious. So is the baba ganoush, hummus, falafel sides. 

http://myaleppogrill.com/

I forgot about that roundabout, which is worrying as I lived right next to it for years. 

:levein2:

Sooperstar
5 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I forgot about that roundabout, which is worrying as I lived right next to it for years. 

:levein2:

Back to the kebab thread with you.

Konrad von Carstein
12 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Back to the kebab thread with you.

I have no flipping idea how I did that...

:sadrobbo::qqb006:

Rick James
16 hours ago, Steak said:

Tbf Ukraine's song was pretty good

Correct. Listened to all the songs a month or 2 back and that was one that stood out. Any song that's in the native language gets off to a good start for me. Unique mix of Hip-Hop infused with the traditional Ukrainian music. What's not to like? The Ukraine song last year was a banger too and should've been a winner in my eyes so justice finally served.

13 hours ago, FWJ said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurovision_Song_Contest_2022

If you scroll down to ‘Scoreboard’ and to the final you can see exactly who gave points where.  The UK’s televote was fairly unremarkable other than giving Poland 10 (Ireland did too)

I know someone who voted for the Polish entry here (an Irish person).  But if the Polish song hadn't been in English I doubt they would have.

I voted for the UK, TBH.  :runaway:

47 minutes ago, Locky said:

Correct. Listened to all the songs a month or 2 back and that was one that stood out. Any song that's in the native language gets off to a good start for me. Unique mix of Hip-Hop infused with the traditional Ukrainian music. What's not to like? The Ukraine song last year was a banger too and should've been a winner in my eyes so justice finally served.

I'm a bit prejudiced in favour of songs in the native languages of the countries.  Apparently, 2022 was the first contest not to feature any song sung in French.

Rick James
3 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

I'm a bit prejudiced in favour of songs in the native languages of the countries.  Apparently, 2022 was the first contest not to feature any song sung in French.

Good point actually, forgot France's entry this year was actually in Breton. Quite sad however that only 7 of the 25 final songs didn't feature English lyrics. 

16 minutes ago, Locky said:

Good point actually, forgot France's entry this year was actually in Breton. Quite sad however that only 7 of the 25 final songs didn't feature English lyrics. 

I wonder if the collapse in performance since the 90s by the UK and Ireland is explained by the decision to let everyone use English lyrics?

Japan Jambo
19 minutes ago, Locky said:

wouldn't have made any difference what language the French entry was sung in - it was dire

manaliveits105

We did win the singing really - missed this 

2022 Marcel Bezençon Award Winners

14 MAY 2022 AT 20:27 CEST

Before the Grand Final of the 2022 Eurovision Song Contest kicks off, the trio of Marcel Bezençon Awards were given out to this year's winners.

A beloved tradition since their inception in 2002, the Marcel Bezençon Awards, named after the creator of the Eurovision Song Contest, are given annually to three worthy winners. The awards were handed out in the Delegation Lounge just prior to tonight’s show by Christer Björkman, former Swedish Head of Delegation, 1992 Eurovision participant, and current Executive Producer of the American Song Contest.

We are pleased to announce this year’s Marcel Bezençon Award Winners:

964c7e14-85e0-4bd4-831a-c720ac47b3dd.jpg 2022 Marcel Bezençon Award Winners: Serbia, Sweden and the United KingdomEBU / ANDRES PUTTING

The Press Award, which is voted on by the accredited members of the media, was awarded to Sam Ryder from the United Kingdom for SPACE MAN, the first time a Bezençon Award has gone to a UK act.

The Artistic Award, which is presented to the best artistic performance as voted for by the commentators from each participating broadcaster, was given to Serbia’s Konstrakta with In Corpore Sano.

The Composer Award, which is presented to a song’s team of composers, is voted on by all of the participating composers at this year’s Contest. This year, the award was presented to Cornelia Jakobs, David Zandén, and Isa Molin for the song Hold Me Closer.

We congratulate all of this year’s winners!

19 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I wonder if the collapse in performance since the 90s by the UK and Ireland is explained by the decision to let everyone use English lyrics?

It’s believed to have a lot to do with it.
It could go a way to explain your 7 wins and our 5 wins and 16 second places.

(Although all of France’s, all of Luxembourg’s, both of Switzerland’s and each of Belgium & Monaco’s winners have been in French. The last winner sung in French was Celine Dion in 1988)

The lad did well. I didn't hear any songs , but the Mrs shouted me , to tell me the UK was in the lead, so I watched the scores. It certainly felt lot more serious and with fruitcakes.

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The lad did well. I didn't hear any songs , but the Mrs shouted me , to tell me the UK was in the lead, so I watched the scores. It certainly felt lot more serious and with fruitcakes.

do you mean " less " " fruitcakes"? :) 

Der Kaiser

Looking back, why the **** was that talentless no mark Rylan at Eurovision?

Graham Norton doing the coverage.....ok

Scott Mills, works for BBC radio......ok

Rylan....there just to get pissed at the license payers expense????

20 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

He commentated the two semis

8 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Graham Norton is Irish, right? Yet he calls the UK, we.

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

:oohmatron:  @JamesM48will be bealin.

I think i made a comment/  innuendo  about it earlier in the thread. :) 

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Yes that pissed me off actually as hes not British but was going on about  " we " all the time.  I had to actually confirm that he is Irish ( Eire). He is.  Maybe feels he is an honorary Brit ? 

3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes that pissed me off actually as hes not British but was going on about  " we " all the time.  I had to actually confirm that he is Irish ( Eire). He is.  Maybe feels he is an honorary Brit ? 

Probably 👍

Action over voting irregularities at the Eurovision Song Contest has apparently left six countries “furious” after their jury votes were disregarded.

According to the European Broadcasting Union (EBU), which runs the contest, six countries were found to have reported “irregular voting patterns” after the second dress rehearsal of the second semi-final.

As a result of these unexpected findings, the countries of Azerbaijan, Georgia, Montenegro, Poland, Romania and San Marino had their countries’ jury votes substituted by aggregate scores at Saturday’s Grand Final.

These substitute scores were calculated by using the voting records of other countries that had voted in similar ways in the past.
Using the substitute votes submitted by the EBU, the UK’s 2022 entry Sam Ryder received the maximum 12 points from Azerbaijan and Georgia, eight points from each of San Marino, Romania and Poland, and five points from Montenegro.

However, since the final, officials in Azerbaijan and Georgia have since clarified that their initial jury results had given 12 points to Ukraine, not the UK as the aggregate scores reported.

As a result, the UK could have finished in third place if aggregate scores were not used.

:scenes:

5 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Graham Norton is Irish.  Terry Wogan had dual citizenship.

Norton works for the BBC.  As far as the BBC is concerned, UK contestants in the Eurovision Song Contest are indeed "we" - not only representing the UK, but also representing the BBC.  What do you think Norton should call them?  You lot?  Them?  That crowd?

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Ulysses said:

Graham Norton is Irish.  Terry Wogan had dual citizenship.

Norton works for the BBC.  As far as the BBC is concerned, UK contestants in the Eurovision Song Contest are indeed "we" - not only representing the UK, but also representing the BBC.  What do you think Norton should call them?  You lot?  Them?  That crowd?

Maybe “ pissed “ off was rather strong then . Just felt it was inaccurate really 

9 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Why does aussie care what pronoun an Irish commentator uses to describe a UK singer? 

Having a "Land of Hope and Glory" moment, are you?  ::troll::

Just now, JamesM48 said:

Maybe “ pissed “ off was rather strong then . Just felt it was inaccurate really 

What alternative do you suggest? 

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

What alternative do you suggest? 

Well Norton isn’t from the Uk 🇬🇧  therefore he’s not British unless he identifies as one ☝️ 

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Well Norton isn’t from the Uk 🇬🇧  therefore he’s not British unless he identifies as one ☝️ 

Yes, but what alternative do you suggest?

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

Yes, but what alternative do you suggest?

Transfer him(free) to RTE😉

John Findlay
12 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

RTÉ couldn't afford his wages. :laugh:

I don't think the BBC can either😉

7 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I don't think the BBC can either😉

At least the BBC got him to a European final.  No chance he'd get that kind of experience in the Mickey Mouse leagues. :biggrin:

John Findlay
Just now, Ulysses said:

At least the BBC got him to a European final.  No chance he'd get that kind of experience in the Mickey Mouse leagues. :biggrin:

But he cheated, spent far more than he could afford 😁

• 2 weeks later...
Jambo-Jimbo
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Postscript 

The makers of the trophy have said that they'll make another one free of charge for the band.

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

The Hydro being touted as a possible venue. Looking forward to it.

It would be great to have it in Glasgow. 

The whole Pacific Quay area is perfect for it. You have the BBC studios opposite to support production (STV may also benefit and be able to provide operational/infrastructure support). Then there's the SECC main building, Armadillo, Science Centre and Cinema buildings all available to support activities.