Billy Connolly receives the BAFTA Fellowship award.

JudyJudyJudy

JudyJudyJudy

He gave this wonderfully  moving and inspiring speech last night. Also made some pertinent points about comedy today and society in general. He went through  a horrendous abusive childhood and has found a peaceful life with Pamela Stephenson.  Great guy. 

Malinga the Swinga

Total sell out, and hasn't been funny or relevant for about 30 years.

Wife was stunning in her prime.

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Funny and intelligent. What he's lost in the physical ability, he's making up for in subtlety. 

Agreed. I like what he was saying about comedy and how things have changed ...for the worse really. 

Me and my mate were on our way to sign up for the army. Billy was standing on the steps outside The Balmoral. Got chatting and asked us what we are up to. Told him we're on our way to sign up. He talked us out of it :laugh:

The Real Maroonblood
12 minutes ago, Pap said:

Me and my mate were on our way to sign up for the army. Billy was standing on the steps outside The Balmoral. Got chatting and asked us what we are up to. Told him we're on our way to sign up. He talked us out of it :laugh:

It just shows how gullible people can be.

:10900:

2 hours ago, Pap said:

Probably just as well it would seem your heart wasn't in it, when I went to the recruiting office I knew I was going, I knew where I was going, and even knew what I was going to do when it was all over, nobody would talk me out of it.

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Probably just as well it would seem your heart wasn't in it, when I went to the recruiting office I knew I was going, I knew where I was going, and even knew what I was going to do when it was all over, nobody would talk me out of it.

One of my friends chummed a mate to the recruiting office as the mate was going to join. He didnt. But my mate did. :) 

Carl Fredrickson

Seen him in concert twice and both times I was in pain with laughter. Remember listening to bootleg tapes in my room when I was at primary school as my folks didnt like him. 

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Seen him in concert twice and both times I was in pain with laughter. Remember listening to bootleg tapes in my room when I was at primary school as my folks didnt like him. 

My dad really liked him despite him being  a " weegie" :) I read his biography written by his wife which is a great read. He really found his soulmate with her.  They seem a lovely couple.  

Carl Fredrickson
Just now, JamesM48 said:

My dad really liked him despite him being  a " weegie" :) I read his biography written by his wife which is a great read. He really found his soulmate with her.  They seem a lovely couple.  

I read the first book that Pamela wrote and it was very interesting. The second one I struggled to get into. His bio that was released last year was a delight to read. 

My folks are both weegies but off a generation before Connolly and didnt get his humour. 

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I read the first book that Pamela wrote and it was very interesting. The second one I struggled to get into. His bio that was released last year was a delight to read. 

My folks are both weegies but off a generation before Connolly and didnt get his humour. 

I didn't know she has written 2? The one i read i thoroughly enjoyed. 

Carl Fredrickson
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I didn't know she has written 2? The one i read i thoroughly enjoyed. 

IIRC the second one was Bravemouth. I think it was more from her point of view and not as easy a read as her first book.

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, Carl Fredrickson said:

IIRC the second one was Bravemouth. I think it was more from her point of view and not as easy a read as her first book.

👍

5 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Total sell out, and hasn't been funny or relevant for about 30 years.

Wife was stunning in her prime.

His wife paved the way for unfunny female comedians. I remember seeing her pull what was meant to be a comedy stunt on a Bob Monkhouse thing back in the 80's. Embarrassingly cringeworthy and he (Monkhouse) was just as bad. Went right off Connolly when he started hob nobbing with the royals, in particular Andrew and Fergie. Wonder if he still has Andy on speed dial.

Edited by JWL

2 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Not necessarily.

Weakened Offender

Seen him twice. First time was unbelievably funny, people were literally falling around laughing. Second time he spent more time laughing at his act then most other people. 

He is a brilliant man however, despite hanging about with some serious pricks for a while. 

Der Kaiser

Tremendous comedy career.

Ridiculously funny.

Saw him a few years back in Edinburgh and even though most was old material laughed myself silly. 

Nice to see the fishing attempt earlier failed to land a bite.....

Weakened Offender
5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

That's what the wife says about me and the time I spend on JKB.

You hang around with brilliant men on JKB. 😉

Weakened Offender
2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I do. And sometimes I reply to your posts.

Its always a highlight. 

Jeffros Furios
4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I do. And sometimes I reply to your posts.

:gok:

Jeffros Furios
1 minute ago, Weakened Offender said:

Its always a highlight. 

:gok:

1 minute ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Met him several times

Very funny and amazing man 

Jealous?

1 minute ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Why are you?

i got to meet him 

did you?

Why am I what?  🤷🏿‍♂️

JudyJudyJudy
17 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Met him several times

Very funny and amazing man 

Jambo_jim2001

Dwarf on the bus🤣🤣 the Edinburgh festival and one o'clock gun not pc nowadays 🤣🤣

Maple Leaf

I went to a BC performance in Toronto about 30 years ago.  A minute or so before the show started a group of around 10 people all filed in and sat in the row in front of me.  The show started and the f-bombs were flying immediately as they always do.  I watched the people in front look at each other, whisper a few words, then in unison they all stood up and filed out again.  They were in their seats about two minutes. I guess nobody had warned them.

The show was great and the audience, at least the ones who stayed, were roaring with laughter.  He was brilliant.

9 hours ago, Pap said:

Not necessarily.

If all it took was some comedy remarks by a comedian what other reason could there be other than his comments had nothing to do with your change of mind but you just want it known that you talked to Connolly. I am not making the comments up I am responding to the comments you made. If it offends I apologise, but if I read your comment properly you and a mate were on your way to sign up. You met Connolly his remarks made you change your mind I am not sure where I am in error.

Edited by Sharpie

highlandjambo3
16 hours ago, Pap said:

Seems a bit strange considering billy was in the territorial army (parachute regiment), guess he must have seen the light.

Unknown user
1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Seems a bit strange considering billy was in the territorial army (parachute regiment), guess he must have seen the light.

He was a wee boy when he signed up, he's been a vocal pacifist for decades now TBF

Unknown user

I literally bumped into him at Fraser's corner on Princes St about 25 years ago. I bounced off him, he's a big lad.

I think I got out something like "em arite big yin!" in surprise

Saw him live in the early 90s too, gave myself several atomic wedgies from sliding down the seat laughing and my face was so sore all the next day. It's a bit dated now because his material isn't risqué any more but he knew how to make an audience laugh!

maroondevo52

Saw him in the early seventies at the Kings Theatre in Edinburgh, he stayed with my brothers mate in a flat in Morrision Street above the Bookies.(now demolished). I must have some of his first albums in the loft.

18 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Why are you?

i got to meet him 

did you?

The magic of the comma.  👍

15 minutes ago, Morgan said:

The magic of the comma.  👍

Watch it or he might put you in a comma for being cheeky!

32 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

Watch it or he might put you in a comma for being cheeky!

I think I'd be fine.  :biggrin2:

been here before
22 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Why are you?

i got to meet him 

did you?

Haiku from Hamilton.

51 minutes ago, been here before said:

Haiku from Hamilton.

Very good 👍 

18 hours ago, Sharpie said:

If all it took was some comedy remarks by a comedian what other reason could there be other than his comments had nothing to do with your change of mind but you just want it known that you talked to Connolly. I am not making the comments up I am responding to the comments you made. If it offends I apologise, but if I read your comment properly you and a mate were on your way to sign up. You met Connolly his remarks made you change your mind I am not sure where I am in error.

You dont know where our hearts were or the situation in life where my friend and i were up to that conversation with Billy. Or how our conversation went.

Your reply (to me) came across like we were lacking heart while telling  us how much more determined you were to join. I dont think my post warranted a slightly (just slightly) cutting reply.

We didnt join. You did. You had the heart. Good on you.

Edited by Pap

Doctor FinnBarr
On 09/05/2022 at 22:31, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Why are you?

i got to meet him 

did you?

Did you ask him where to get a bite to eat?

John Findlay
On 09/05/2022 at 22:31, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Why are you?

i got to meet him 

did you?

Did you ask him how to get to Tynecastle from Hamilton?

Did you also ask him how much it would be by train, bus, or taxi?

Did you ask him once you arrived at Tynecastle, how would you go about buying a ticket, and how much that would cost?

Jambo 4 Ever
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Did you ask him once you arrived at Tynecastle, how would you go about buying a ticket, and how much that would cost?

What a strange post 

would expect better from you 

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

:laugh: 

14 hours ago, Pap said:

You dont know where our hearts were or the situation in life where my friend and i were up to that conversation with Billy. Or how our conversation went.

Your reply (to me) came across like we were lacking heart while telling  us how much more determined you were to join. I dont think my post warranted a slightly (just slightly) cutting reply.

We didnt join. You did. You had the heart. Good on you.

I stated an opinion on what I had read, it appeared to me it took little to change your mind, with lack of the information now provided my opinion was expressed without full facts, I should be more careful but no insult was intended, I simply saw two boys who had decided to join up who spoke to a personality and changed their minds. I only used my own experience because you were apparently going down a road I had trod, but with different intent of purpose.