Dunfermline Athletic.

Angel eyes

Niemi’s gloves
53 minutes ago, JJ93 said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but Dunfermline is now in the same league as Edinburgh City! 

Not to mention derbies to look forward to against….. drum roll……. Kelty Hearts!!

Actually as others have said, the continuing troubles of Dunfermline are a shame given the semi-derbies of old that we used to have against them. I particularly recall a 4-2 win there in the late 1960s which was I think Tommy Murray’s debut for Hearts. 

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• neilnunb

• PortyBeach

• Unknown user

• GinRummy

132goals1958
13 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

I got that Dunfermline score wrong. We drew at Tynecastle earlier in that season but lost the New Year fixture 2-3 in front of a crowd of just under 19,000. 
So, back-to-back games and no points and we go on to lose the title on goal average. It still rankles.

That 7 1 defeat at Tynecastle by Dundee still sends shivers down the spine. 

40 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Not to mention derbies to look forward to against….. drum roll……. Kelty Hearts!!

Actually as others have said, the continuing troubles of Dunfermline are a shame given the semi-derbies of old that we used to have against them. I particularly recall a 4-2 win there in the late 1960s which was I think Tommy Murray’s debut for Hearts. 

It's funny but football is a game of extremes now.

You have the mega clubs then at the other end there seems to be an increase in interest in the small/ non league teams.

It's clubs like Dunfermline who are getting squeezed. 

PortyBeach
5 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

It's funny but football is a game of extremes now.

You have the mega clubs then at the other end there seems to be an increase in interest in the small/ non league teams.

It's clubs like Dunfermline who are getting squeezed. 

That’s an interesting observation.

It seems to be coupled with a distinct lack of empathy for Dunfermline’s plight.

Part of that is, as someone else noted, possibly a generation thing. Some of us recall strong Pars teams as a positive thing in Scottish football’s top tier.

But perhaps our enforced relegation at the hands of clubs driven by self interest and lacking the vision to see the bigger picture, explains the attitude.

44 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

It seems to be coupled with a distinct lack of empathy for Dunfermline’s plight.

Part of that is, as someone else noted, possibly a generation thing. Some of us recall strong Pars teams as a positive thing in Scottish football’s top tier.

But perhaps our enforced relegation at the hands of clubs driven by self interest and lacking the vision to see the bigger picture, explains the attitude.

I don't think it's just us though. 

Coupled with the big clubs getting bigger,  in Scottish terms there's a few that maintain interest: us, Hibs, Aberdeen (ignoring recent form).

The rest have seen interest disappear. 

I've always said we need teams like Dunfermline and Falkirk to be competing. 

4 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

Queens Park were strong once. Third Lanark too.

Change happens. We might be in transition now. Interesting to see if likes of Darvel, Cove Rangers maybe others could be the new strong basis in Scottish football. 

Used to like Dunfermline but that changed after they along with others shafted us - reap what you sow Dundee Dunfermline Cowdenbeath etc Brechin last season too 👍

Just now, rory78 said:

Used to like Dunfermline but that changed after they along with others shafted us - reap what you sow Dundee Dunfermline Cowdenbeath etc Brechin last season too 👍

Is the correct call because of how well this season has wen't (and could get better ) we seem to have forgotten how many of these teams shafted us fluk them all

heartsfc_fan

Dunfermline can eff off.

So can Falkirk while we're at it.

A match made in heaven in League One.

Fozzyonthefence
31 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Dunfermline can eff off.

So can Falkirk while we're at it.

A match made in heaven in League One.

Falkirk were one of the few good guys a couple of years ago.  Although, like everyone else, was all about self interest.

PortyBeach
16 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Queens Park were strong once. Third Lanark too.

Change happens. We might be in transition now. Interesting to see if likes of Darvel, Cove Rangers maybe others could be the new strong basis in Scottish football. 

True, both Queen’s and Thirds were forces in Scottish football but I’m guessing well before any of us were born.

And the focus of the thread is DAFC, after all.

But you’re right about change - it will be interesting to see the progress of these newcomers you mention (and others).

On 13/05/2022 at 19:34, PortyBeach said:

Barry’s exit was baffling then and remains so. 
I don’t know if anyone knows the inside story but I’ve always felt there must have been serious discontent behind the scenes in 1964-65. 
There were too many indifferent performances that didn’t make sense when you considered the quality of the playing squad. 

There had apparently been a big fall out prior to the Dundee game where we were thrashed 1 - 7. 

PortyBeach
22 minutes ago, Deevers said:

There had apparently been a big fall out prior to the Dundee game where we were thrashed 1 - 7. 

Even as a youngster watching that game, it struck me there had to be more to that result. 
Dundee were a decent side but there was never a six-goal margin between the teams.

If it was indeed a case of “downing tools”, then all the players seem to have achieved was to cheat and disrespect the Hearts support, as well as ultimately deny themselves a League winner’s medal.

35 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

Even as a youngster watching that game, it struck me there had to be more to that result. 
Dundee were a decent side but there was never a six-goal margin between the teams.

If it was indeed a case of “downing tools”, then all the players seem to have achieved was to cheat and disrespect the Hearts support, as well as ultimately deny themselves a League winner’s medal.

Yep, that was the game that ultimately cost us the league. 

Libertarian
On 14/05/2022 at 14:05, Hmfc1965 said:

I don't think it's just us though. 

Coupled with the big clubs getting bigger,  in Scottish terms there's a few that maintain interest: us, Hibs, Aberdeen (ignoring recent form).

The rest have seen interest disappear. 

I've always said we need teams like Dunfermline and Falkirk to be competing. 

That's why we require a bigger top league. It's not healthy for the Scottish game to have clubs like Dunfermline and Falkirk in the 3rd tier of Scottish football.

Sport is based on results   that is why dunfermline and Falkirk are where they are.   As regards to bigger leagues, did you have the misfortune to watch hearts in the late 60s early 70s.  We were regularly mid table, if we lost in the scottish cup early rounds our season was all but over in january

26 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Sport is based on results   that is why dunfermline and Falkirk are where they are.   As regards to bigger leagues, did you have the misfortune to watch hearts in the late 60s early 70s.  We were regularly mid table, if we lost in the scottish cup early rounds our season was all but over in january

expanding the league so that there is 2 games against other teams would be so much better for  Scottish football as a whole and there would be far more chance of someone other than the gruesome twosome winning the league. Sadly they and their puppet authorities don't want that. 
I speak as someone whose first game was in season 64/65 before anyone takes umbrage.

7 minutes ago, brownkg said:

expanding the league so that there is 2 games against other teams would be so much better for  Scottish football as a whole and there would be far more chance of someone other than the gruesome twosome winning the league. Sadly they and their puppet authorities don't want that. 
I speak as someone whose first game was in season 64/65 before anyone takes umbrage.

Until we can win in Perth  and beat teams like dundee at tynecastle on a regular basis the size of the league doesn't matter. My first game was 62/63. 

26 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Until we can win in Perth  and beat teams like dundee at tynecastle on a regular basis the size of the league doesn't matter. My first game was 62/63. 

We are going to have to agree to disagree playing the gruesome twosome 8 times in total makes it hard for other teams to win the league. We don't have a birthright to beat any other team far less win the league

8 minutes ago, brownkg said:

We are going to have to agree to disagree playing the gruesome twosome 8 times in total makes it hard for other teams to win the league. We don't have a birthright to beat any other team far less win the league

Neither do rangers and celtic.  If we could match them over the 8 games then it is the games against the rest that would matter.  We can't beat the rest regularly, apart from hibs obvioudly

jamboinglasgow

Dunfermline were wise, they use this as a chance to start again, get the Germans to help them build a well run club. Whether that happens though is a different matter.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Really are a disgrace for a CITY club. 😁

Konrad von Carstein
On 14/05/2022 at 09:38, JJ93 said:

When I was a child, I lived in Dunfermline for a few years. To this day, I have never come across such bad drivers. Not to mention how insular the town is!

We moved here in the October pre lock down, I agree with the bad drivers, a mini roundabout causes a Mexican stand off its like they're scared to make the first move.  :lol:

Not sure what you mean by insular,our street is really friendly and even when out and about you get a good morning or a nod from passers by.

Really like living here,  would recommend Dunfermline to anyone.

I don't share the glee of Dunfermline dropping to 3rd tier.    They have a much bigger fan base than many of the bottom 6 in SPL.  The game in Scotland needs teams like them in top tier.  However you have to earn it and they have been run shambolically for years.  

39 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

I don't share the glee of Dunfermline dropping to 3rd tier.    They have a much bigger fan base than many of the bottom 6 in SPL.  The game in Scotland needs teams like them in top tier.  However you have to earn it and they have been run shambolically for years.  

I agree. Dunfermline has grown much bigger in the last 20 years and can surely provide the support for a top league team more than many. They do need to be run better.

Nookie Bear
2 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

We moved here in the October pre lock down, I agree with the bad drivers, a mini roundabout causes a Mexican stand off its like they're scared to make the first move.  :lol:

Not sure what you mean by insular,our street is really friendly and even when out and about you get a good morning or a nod from passers by.

Really like living here,  would recommend Dunfermline to anyone.

It's the only place where a resident has let me block their driveaway when i've been there for a game and struggling to find a spot. Happened a couple of times and you don't get that anywhere else.

Tasavallan
4 hours ago, deejtee said:

I agree. Dunfermline has grown much bigger in the last 20 years and can surely provide the support for a top league team more than many. They do need to be run better.

Rum butter, you say?