Dunfermline Athletic.

Angel eyes

Rick James
6 hours ago, dannymack said:

Seriously ? 

I suppose this depends on your age right enough but an awayday to Dunfermline was deemed a 'pencil the fixture into the calendar" day out.

Early train, last train/taxi home. 

Huge crowds in the late 80s, cup ties were excellent too. 

Dunfermline had a decent casual mob too and in between popping into the watering holes there was always a stramash near the East Port precinct to view. 

Changed days now though. 

Since I've been old enough to go to away games myself I think they've only spent one season in the top flight. :lol: 

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• neilnunb

• PortyBeach

• Unknown user

• GinRummy

davemclaren
12 hours ago, Alec Eiffel said:

What my schoolboy brain could not comprehend is how Roy Barry could captain Dunfermline to the 1968 Scottish Cup against Hearts.

There were quite a few asking that question at the time. My first Hearts cup final at 11 years old. 

Nookie Bear
10 hours ago, dannymack said:

Seriously ? 

I suppose this depends on your age right enough but an awayday to Dunfermline was deemed a 'pencil the fixture into the calendar" day out.

Early train, last train/taxi home. 

Huge crowds in the late 80s, cup ties were excellent too. 

Dunfermline had a decent casual mob too and in between popping into the watering holes there was always a stramash near the East Port precinct to view. 

Changed days now though. 

This. Cracking away day.

Checking London Hearts and you'll see crowds in excess of 15k for a midweek League Cup tie up there in 1988 and plenty more over the 10k mark.

Their crowds just seemed to nosedive in the mid 90s.

Cairneyhill Jambo
35 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

This. Cracking away day.

Checking London Hearts and you'll see crowds in excess of 15k for a midweek League Cup tie up there in 1988 and plenty more over the 10k mark.

The whole club nosedived after Jimmy Calderwood left.  They haven't had a decent manager since.

Angel eyes

Don’t think I’ve ever been so cold at a football match than at a game at Dunfermline, years ago 2000/01 roughly January….mind Stefane Adam was playing he’d a chance at the very end finished 0-0 standing on the terrace opposite the main stand, couldn’t move as so cold, numb feet, legs brutal.

Tommy Brown
8 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

Don’t think I’ve ever been so cold at a football match than at a game at Dunfermline, years ago 2000/01 roughly January….mind Stefane Adam was playing he’d a chance at the very end finished 0-0 standing on the terrace opposite the main stand, couldn’t move as so cold, numb feet, legs brutal.

Remember it.

Went straight to my bed when I got home.

Angel eyes
10 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Remember it.

Went straight to my bed when I got home.

So do I, even though 20 odd years ago…..

7 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

This. Cracking away day.

It was and in the scheme of things the fans didn't seem to hate Hearts that much, certainly compared to the likes of Falkirk. 

12 hours ago, Locky said:

Since I've been old enough to go to away games myself I think they've only spent one season in the top flight. :lol: 

just checked and since their relegation in 2006/07 they have only been in the top flight for one season 2011/12. and in that time they have been in the third tier for more than one season

12 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

It was and in the scheme of things the fans didn't seem to hate Hearts that much, certainly compared to the likes of Falkirk. 

Dunfermline v Falkirk rivalry is embarrassing. Worked with a couple guys who supported each team and it’s cringe to hear them go on about one another.

9 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Dunfermline v Falkirk rivalry is embarrassing. Worked with a couple guys who supported each team and it’s cringe to hear them go on about one another.

I think it started because they always seemed to be in direct competition,  usually in the second tier. They're not that far away either. 

In my experience Falkirk are bitter *******s.

Footballfirst
On 10/05/2022 at 22:15, soonbe110 said:

Current board and Campbell don’t get on though most of current board, including Leishman, came off the board last night. Maybe there is a chance though I’d be surprised if Campbell had any appetite for a return. 

Confirmation from Companies House this morning that Leishman, McArthur and McBay have all resigned from the Board.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/SC011580/filing-history

Edited by Footballfirst

On 10/05/2022 at 13:26, John Gentleman said:

When last in the top flight, their fans were exactly the same when we played our 'derbies' against them......

It was embarrassing but because Hibs had been relegated they were made out to be our big derby game they even called them our derby rival on FIFA 

22 hours ago, Angel eyes said:

I remember a freezing afternoon through there, new year "derby" as we won the cup and they went down. 98/99. Derek Lilley and Leigh Jenkinson. Nil nil too. Brutal.

https://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/199901021.html

Samuel Camazzola
21 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

When did this become a 'thing'?

I recall a player from around 20 years ago (David Nicholls IIRC) who moved from one club to the other and it seemed to kick off a fuss with the supporters. 

Was it from this or was there an edge between them before that since they were both jostling for promotion/survival together regularly? 

4 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I recall a player from around 20 years ago (David Nicholls IIRC) who moved from one club to the other and it seemed to kick off a fuss with the supporters. 

Was it from this or was there an edge between them before that since they were both jostling for promotion/survival together regularly? 

It intensified after Norrie McCathie's death (big Hearts fan) and the Falkirk fans mocked it.

Unknown user

5 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I think there was always a bit of a rivalry and I think you're also right with the player move, I couldn't remember the name though.

I know both bairns and pars, they really do hate each other, League 1 will be interesting next season.

Tasavallan
On 11/05/2022 at 01:07, Alec Eiffel said:

What my schoolboy brain could not comprehend is how Roy Barry could captain Dunfermline to the 1968 Scottish Cup against Hearts.

My father took me to watch Stoke City play a friendly at Tynecastle ostensively to see Stanley Matthews. All I remember is coming away with my programme autographed by Roy Barry. 

Samuel Camazzola
11 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I think there was always a bit of a rivalry and I think you're also right with the player move, I couldn't remember the name though.

I know both bairns and pars, they really do hate each other, League 1 will be interesting next season.

I think it was him that got a bit of grief for the move. 

Do you know if the Pars took to JJ and Terry since they had previous with Falkirk? Lee Bullen is another who's been with both. 

I imagine both sets of fans despised Tam McManus since he was dogsh1t3? 😄

14 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

It intensified after Norrie McCathie's death (big Hearts fan) and the Falkirk fans mocked it.

👍 

Falkirk fans did chuck fake eyeballs on pitch when Dean Shiels was playing for Dunfermline a few years ago.

Quite funny to be fair. 

1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

Couple seasons ago Falkirk fans threw rubber eyes onto the pitch mocking Dean Shiels I’m sure a couple Falkirk players also got banned for mocking him too.

Falkirk fan I worked with said Falkirk fans took gas masks to a pars game mocking Norrie McCathie. It just sounds sad and desperate to create a rivalry using situations below the belt to gain it. 

Both clubs and fans are as bad as each other have no connection or feelings toward either of them.

2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I think it was him that got a bit of grief for the move. 

Do you know if the Pars took to JJ and Terry since they had previous with Falkirk? Lee Bullen is another who's been with both. 

I imagine both sets of fans despised Tam McManus since he was dogsh1t3? 😄

👍

Speaking to a Pars neighbour, they certainly have not taken to Yogi as the shouts of “GTF you Falkirk see you next Tuesday “ as he walked along the touch line post game on Saturday seems to confirm 🤣

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Couple seasons ago Falkirk fans threw rubber eyes onto the pitch mocking Dean Shiels I’m sure a couple Falkirk players also got banned for mocking him too.

Falkirk fan I worked with said Falkirk fans took gas masks to a pars game mocking Norrie McCathie. It just sounds sad and desperate to create a rivalry using situations below the belt to gain it. 

Both clubs and fans are as bad as each other have no connection or feelings toward either of them.

There's nothing sad or desperate about it for me. It's just football tribalism between two good Scottish teams, the way it should be.

9 minutes ago, Smithee said:

There's nothing sad or desperate about it for me. It's just football tribalism between two good Scottish teams, the way it should be.

Exactly. 

It's no different to things Hearts fans have done.

Or Hibs, or any other support. 

i wish jj was my dad
On 11/05/2022 at 14:49, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

The whole club nosedived after Jimmy Calderwood left.  They haven't had a decent manager since.

In fairness Calderwood pretty much bankrupted them. 

10 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Falkirk fans did chuck fake eyeballs on pitch when Dean Shiels was playing for Dunfermline a few years ago.

Quite funny to be fair. 

Not funny at all.

On 11/05/2022 at 14:00, davemclaren said:

There were quite a few asking that question at the time. My first Hearts cup final at 11 years old. 

Easy answer - Barry was one of the players Tommy Walker blamed for losing the league in 65.  Quite a few were shown the door - Barry, Alan Gordon, Billy Higgins were some than come to mind.

PortyBeach
On 08/05/2022 at 12:51, 132goals1958 said:

I suppose I am in the minority but I would rather have a resurgent Dunfermline in the top tier rather than West coast teams like St Mirren or Kilmarnock. I can recall the days when we used to play Hibs on the 1st January and then Dunfermline on the 2nd January. Some great celebratory times and I always felt we had a good relationship with the Pars. As others have alluded to they have been seriously mismanaged over the years similar to Falkirk which i believe has been to the detriment of the Scottish game . Sadly I cant see them regaining their former standing unless there was some form of reconstruction . They have a decent potential fan base but it now looks a long way back.

You’re right. Dunfermline enjoyed decent crowds and posed a real challenge to Hearts back in the day. 

As you say, we used to play both Hibs and the Pars over the New Year period which could be tricky back-to-back matches. 
Sadly, this proved to be the case in 1964-65 (when we were pipped for the title on goal average). Over the New Year we lost 0-1 to Hibs (ironically to a Willie Hamilton goal) and I think drew with the Pars. 

PortyBeach
10 hours ago, Deevers said:

Easy answer - Barry was one of the players Tommy Walker blamed for losing the league in 65.  Quite a few were shown the door - Barry, Alan Gordon, Billy Higgins were some than come to mind.

Barry’s exit was baffling then and remains so. 
I don’t know if anyone knows the inside story but I’ve always felt there must have been serious discontent behind the scenes in 1964-65. 
There were too many indifferent performances that didn’t make sense when you considered the quality of the playing squad. 

Just now, PortyBeach said:

I don’t know if anyone knows the inside story but I’ve always felt there must have been serious discontent behind the scenes in 1964-65. 
There were too many indifferent performances that didn’t make sense when you considered the quality of the playing squad. 

Around that time there were a lot of disputes with players. Management had a 'our way or the highway' attitude. Willie Wallace notably. 

PortyBeach
8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Around that time there were a lot of disputes with players. Management had a 'our way or the highway' attitude. Willie Wallace notably. 

It certainly backfired, didn’t it? Pre-Mercer, Hearts seem to have lacked professionalism in different areas.
So, 1964-65: League title squandered, key players and later, manager, shipped out, followed by nearly 20 years of chaos and mediocrity.

Not quite the experience we expected to inherit having been brought up on stories of the 1950s glory years…

8 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

It certainly backfired, didn’t it? Pre-Mercer, Hearts seem to have lacked professionalism in different areas.
So, 1964-65: League title squandered, key players and later, manager, shipped out, followed by nearly 20 years of chaos and mediocrity.

Not quite the experience we expected to inherit having been brought up on stories of the 1950s glory years…

It was nearer 25 years. 

PortyBeach
1 hour ago, Hmfc1965 said:

It was nearer 25 years. 

I reckon we were on the road back from around 1982-83 which is certainly under 20 years, and bearing in mind we almost won the title in 1985-86. 

3 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

I reckon we were on the road back from around 1982-83 which is certainly under 20 years, and bearing in mind we almost won the title in 1985-86. 

Ah right.  I was taking it from 1965.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you about 82-83.

PortyBeach
2 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

You’re right. Dunfermline enjoyed decent crowds and posed a real challenge to Hearts back in the day. 

As you say, we used to play both Hibs and the Pars over the New Year period which could be tricky back-to-back matches. 
Sadly, this proved to be the case in 1964-65 (when we were pipped for the title on goal average). Over the New Year we lost 0-1 to Hibs (ironically to a Willie Hamilton goal) and I think drew with the Pars. 

I got that Dunfermline score wrong. We drew at Tynecastle earlier in that season but lost the New Year fixture 2-3 in front of a crowd of just under 19,000. 
So, back-to-back games and no points and we go on to lose the title on goal average. It still rankles.

Independence

I used to love going to EEP for Hearts games. I remember (60's) at New Year if it was Hearts v H1b5 on New Years Day on the 2nd (yes the next day) it was Dunfermline v Hearts. One New Year, thousands of Hearts fans were heading over to Dunfermline, on the 2nd January, when, with very short notice, the game was called off as the pitch was frozen. I was in a car with 5 of us, my dad driving, when we saw other cars , with Hearts fans heading back towards Edinburgh. We  decided to turn around once over the Forth Bridge and head to Fester Road to cheer on Cowdenbeath who were playing H1b5. When we got to Fester Road thousands of Hearts fans had decided to do the same. The bulk of Hearts fans joined the small band of Blue Brazil fans in the cow shed. Hearts songs rang out throughout the game and near the end H1b5 fans moved round and a fight started. I am sure the Blue Brazil won, but I may well be wrong. Does anyone else remember this game? What was the score with H1b5 the day before? 

3 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

Don't know if true   but a few players were moved on after the new year loss,   Barry shevlane and white

Just now, Sherbet said:

Don't know if true   but a few players were moved on after the new year loss,   Barry shevlane and white

Also, the players downed tools versus dundee 1-7 over a bonus dispute. 

Niemi’s gloves
1 hour ago, Independence said:

I used to love going to EEP for Hearts games. I remember (60's) at New Year if it was Hearts v H1b5 on New Years Day on the 2nd (yes the next day) it was Dunfermline v Hearts. One New Year, thousands of Hearts fans were heading over to Dunfermline, on the 2nd January, when, with very short notice, the game was called off as the pitch was frozen. I was in a car with 5 of us, my dad driving, when we saw other cars , with Hearts fans heading back towards Edinburgh. We  decided to turn around once over the Forth Bridge and head to Fester Road to cheer on Cowdenbeath who were playing H1b5. When we got to Fester Road thousands of Hearts fans had decided to do the same. The bulk of Hearts fans joined the small band of Blue Brazil fans in the cow shed. Hearts songs rang out throughout the game and near the end H1b5 fans moved round and a fight started. I am sure the Blue Brazil won, but I may well be wrong. Does anyone else remember this game? What was the score with H1b5 the day before? 

Pretty sure that was the same day as the Ibrox disaster on 2/01/71

WheatfieldWarrior
On 12/05/2022 at 20:13, Smithee said:

That happens at some clubs, however when hibs sign our former players (Mitchell for example) we are usually just embarrassed for both parties.

On 11/05/2022 at 22:17, Stu_HMFC said:

On 12/05/2022 at 20:04, Samuel Camazzola said:

On 12/05/2022 at 20:09, neilnunb said:

Their rivalry goes way back to the early 70s. Falkirk started it even they turned up to East End Park and caused havoc. 

The next time The Pars went to Brockville every man and their dug from the schemes in and out of Dunfermline went through on the service buses and returned the favour. 

Let's just say there was a few well kent names and faces that were affiliated to The Hearts that were involved. 

Their rivalry is healthy, it's bitter and toxic, embarrassing ? Absolutely no way ! 

4 hours ago, Independence said:

I used to love going to EEP for Hearts games. I remember (60's) at New Year if it was Hearts v H1b5 on New Years Day on the 2nd (yes the next day) it was Dunfermline v Hearts. One New Year, thousands of Hearts fans were heading over to Dunfermline, on the 2nd January, when, with very short notice, the game was called off as the pitch was frozen. I was in a car with 5 of us, my dad driving, when we saw other cars , with Hearts fans heading back towards Edinburgh. We  decided to turn around once over the Forth Bridge and head to Fester Road to cheer on Cowdenbeath who were playing H1b5. When we got to Fester Road thousands of Hearts fans had decided to do the same. The bulk of Hearts fans joined the small band o Blue Brazil fans in the cow shed. Hearts songs rang out throughout the game and near the end H1b5 fans moved round and a fight started. I am sure the Blue Brazil won, but I may well be wrong. Does anyone else remember this game? What was the score with H1b5 the day before? 

My memory of that day is we turned up just before half time and Hibs were two nil up against east Fife not Cowdenbeath, the game ended 2-2, i can still picture the look on the fifers face when he scored and a massive roar went up,they were playing in an all red strip that day.

Happy to be wrong Indy because my memory is cactus.😆

8 hours ago, Independence said:

I was at that game but thought it was early 70s. A few battles after hibs fans realised why there were so many away fans😊😊

PortyBeach
On 09/05/2022 at 12:07, milky_26 said:

Why? If they are not good enough footballing wise they don't deserve to be there

It’s a results game, you’re right. Teams have to earn the right to be at the top table.

But this is Scotland and there are other factors at play.
We all know about the Glasgow-centric nature of the Scottish game so I sympathise with the view that the more stronger “East Coast” teams we have in our top flight, the better.

And there’s population. My view is that to encourage more support for the game, our more populous towns and cities need to be homes to the better teams.

Dunfermline certainly come into that bracket and so I tend to agree with those who lament their current plight.

PortyBeach
On 09/05/2022 at 14:18, TexasAndy said:

Just simply the size and potential of the club.  If they were doing what Livvie and Ross County were doing they would have 3 times the crowd.   Not saying they have a divine right.  

Spot on.

PortyBeach
On 10/05/2022 at 08:01, Harry Potter said:

Aye just like our premiership needed Hearts in the top league, but no one gave a thought about that .

plus we went down without playing all the games, joke.

Can’t argue with that.
But although others failed to see the sense in what you’re saying, it doesn’t mean we should also lose sight of the principle.

Independence
5 hours ago, narre said:

My memory of that day is we turned up just before half time and Hibs were two nil up against east Fife not Cowdenbeath, the game ended 2-2, i can still picture the look on the fifers face when he scored and a massive roar went up,they were playing in an all red strip that day.

Happy to be wrong Indy because my memory is cactus.😆

You could well be correct as I was just a lad! I will complete some research and post again. 

When I was a child, I lived in Dunfermline for a few years. To this day, I have never come across such bad drivers. Not to mention how insular the town is!

In terms of stadiums, it is a shame because East End Park is actually one of the bigger ones but they never fill it anyway. Down 2 flights... might take them a while to get back up, if they ever. Weird to think that Arborath almost came up to the Prem and Dunfermline are in League One.