Berra wants coaching return

bmeikle

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Did he disrespect the club or call Stendel out for being a shite coach who was going to take us to  bottom of the league. 

Just about everything he done was wrong. 

He didn’t call out Levein :whistling:

Anyway this is snakey behaviour you’re endorsing.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Sooks

• A_A wehatethehibs

• Mr Sifter

4 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Outmanoeuvred by Steven Naismith, Naisy got the gig Berra could’ve had if he’d clocked that his injury had effectively ended his playing career. Berra should’ve retired 3 years ago after his injury, and there’d be none of this bitterness from the fans. 

Shows every player that if you’re wanting to get into coaching, strike while the iron is hot and retire at the right time when there’s an opening. That’s exactly what Steven Naismith did. 

Berra on the other hand, clung on to his playing career and it’s sad to see how it ended for a good servant at Hearts. Never overstay your welcome, when you’re over the hill be honest with yourself and retire. Or move on to Bonnyrigg if it’s just for the enjoyment of playing, folk will respect you more. He’s not even good enough for Raith. This is a 40 cap Scotland defender. What made it worse was Levein giving him the contract extension out of pity. He should’ve released him if he wanted to keep playing.

I could see he was finished about 10 minutes into his first or second game back from his injury, 4-2 against Motherwell in the league cup. If he’d seen sense and retired he would be a massively respected figure at Hearts and probably be the youth team coach right now with a season or 2 under his belt. Not sure I see a route back for him into the club. 

Spot on.

4 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Outmanoeuvred by Steven Naismith, Naisy got the gig Berra could’ve had if he’d clocked that his injury had effectively ended his playing career. Berra should’ve retired 3 years ago after his injury, and there’d be none of this bitterness from the fans. 

Shows every player that if you’re wanting to get into coaching, strike while the iron is hot and retire at the right time when there’s an opening. That’s exactly what Steven Naismith did. 

Berra on the other hand, clung on to his playing career and it’s sad to see how it ended for a good servant at Hearts. Never overstay your welcome, when you’re over the hill be honest with yourself and retire. Or move on to Bonnyrigg if it’s just for the enjoyment of playing, folk will respect you more. He’s not even good enough for Raith. This is a 40 cap Scotland defender. What made it worse was Levein giving him the contract extension out of pity. He should’ve released him if he wanted to keep playing.

I could see he was finished about 10 minutes into his first or second game back from his injury, 4-2 against Motherwell in the league cup. If he’d seen sense and retired he would be a massively respected figure at Hearts and probably be the youth team coach right now with a season or 2 under his belt. Not sure I see a route back for him into the club. 

I agree with a lot of what you however there are a couple of differences between them in that Naismith was still under contract to us and clearly was struggling to try and get anywhere near match fit again and circumstances were such that an opportunity became available for him to move into a coaching role at the club.

Berra on the other hand was coming to the end of his contract and did not take kindly to being put out on loan that for me was his downfall at Hearts with his reaction to that.

I really don't know if he has any coaching ability nor for that matter does Naismith (other than doing a lot of moaning at other players).

Jambo_jim2001
5 hours ago, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

Wish him well in his career but it’s a no from me at our club.

This👍

132goals1958
5 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

The View from the Terrace podcast lower league pundits had him in their combined leagues team of the season this year. He has played 38 games for Raith this season. He is clearly still good enough for Raith.

He decided to keep playing football for as long as possible. A guy who was clearly just desperate to play.

Really don't understand the vitriol aimed at Berra by our fans.

Nor do I. Remember the times when he was more or less our man of the match on a weekly occurrence.

Unknown user
1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

I really don't know if he has any coaching ability nor for that matter does Naismith (other than doing a lot of moaning at other players).

Naismith just took the 18s to the cup final to be fair

The Real Maroonblood
5 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Disrespected the club when Stendel was here. Also disrespected Stendel himself. Encouraged division when we should have been seeing unity and quite rightly got his arse kicked out the club.

Not welcome back for me. 

This.

6 hours ago, luckydug said:

Over all he was good for us. 

That bitter end to his career with us was at a time when he could see his Hearts career ebbing away as injury and age caught up with him. 

Would have been hard for him to accept imo. 

Life's to short for grudges I wish him well.👍

Agreed. Personally I choose to look back on him as what he was pre injury, a colossus of a defender who captained us, left for millions, came back because he wanted to be here, captained us again & was instrumental in a record breaking clean sheet run. His injury robbed him of a good few years at top level sadly & his very public falling out with Stendel was messy but he was a great player for us no doubt.

14 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I'd rather have Andy Webster back tbh. And he was a rat.

:jesus: though!

Webster is a club legend imo

Rick Sanchez
2 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Absolutely.

He must live through Paisley way or I'd have him back coaching the young guys in a heartbeat.

He’s been a bitter a-hole since he left and has never been supportive of Hearts during his punditry! He can do one!

21 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I'd rather have Andy Webster back tbh. And he was a rat.

:jesus: though!

Andy help us win the cup - Berra cost us the cup TWICE!

Cut The Crap

Nah.

Not sure he ever really bonded with the fans and showed himself to be a bit of an unprofessional dick when Stendel joined.

Happy to revise that opinion if he cuts his teeth elsewhere and shows any coaching ability though.

Ex member of the SaS

Great player and captain but he ruined all the good work at the end. As someone above has said he should have called it a day long before he was told to go. He could have gone into coaching and been liked for all he did but he has burnt his bridges with us and I for one would rather not have him back in any capacity. Really do feel he would be a bad influence in the dressing room.

6 minutes ago, Cut The Crap said:

Nah.

Not sure he ever really bonded with the fans and showed himself to be a bit of an unprofessional dick when Stendel joined.

Happy to revise that opinion if he cuts his teeth elsewhere and shows any coaching ability though.

He's no got any.

A_A wehatethehibs
2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

I agree with a lot of what you however there are a couple of differences between them in that Naismith was still under contract to us and clearly was struggling to try and get anywhere near match fit again and circumstances were such that an opportunity became available for him to move into a coaching role at the club.

Berra on the other hand was coming to the end of his contract and did not take kindly to being put out on loan that for me was his downfall at Hearts with his reaction to that.

What I meant was, Naismith made his desire to retire from playing and go into coaching totally clear to the club. He was honest with himself about his physical condition, top level playing wise, he knew he was done, he accepted it. And he did the right thing and retired there and then and entered talks with Hearts, and for a guy of that calibre and football experience we made the coaching role happen. The same would’ve happened with Berra - but it would’ve been 3 or 4 years ago. Instead he goes and signs a 2 year playing extension. Delusional from Levein and delusional

from Berra himself. 

Possibly it was because Naismith had several injuries before, whereas Berra did not actually have too many injuries in his career prior to the one which ended him. Maybe the suddenness of it meant Christophe had more difficulty accepting it. The impact on his mobility was a real shock to witness, never seen a player go from “athletic physical beast who can deal with any SPL striker without issue” to “can’t run, can’t turn, can’t jump” as quickly and shockingly as Berra. He could’ve retired with the full respect of the Hearts fans. Instead he goes on to play another 30 or 40 games, managers get sacked, we end up in the championship and he was absolutely error strewn and eye bleeding for 90% of those games (even in the championship) and his last games for us against Brora and QoS and ends with another falling out with another manager who knew the same thing stendel knew. Berra’s time was up. It was a tragic end really, I do feel a bit sorry for him and it would be nice to see him get some redemption and carve out a career as a manager or coach. Good luck Christophe no hard feelings but can’t see a place for you at Hearts at this moment in time. 

RustyRightPeg
34 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Yeah agreed. He was remarkably good in his second spell I don’t think that can be understated. Never seen a man win so many headers with the ability to not get off the ground when he jumped 

3 hours ago, boag1874 said:

Agreed. Personally I choose to look back on him as what he was pre injury, a colossus of a defender who captained us, left for millions, came back because he wanted to be here, captained us again & was instrumental in a record breaking clean sheet run. His injury robbed him of a good few years at top level sadly & his very public falling out with Stendel was messy but he was a great player for us no doubt.

Going to take this view too. I think towards the end, he could have shown more leadership but every point you've made is spot on. 

re coaching, I was listening to Open Goal and Kevin Kyle was talking about wanting to do it, even that he'd happily work with kids with a view of stepping up the age groups as he builds his experience. Ryan Stevenson is currently coaching some amateur team IIRC -  I think coaching is extremely competitive, and with the greatest of respect to Berra, If he wants to go out to Montrose, or work with the kids at Raith and prove he has ability first, then sure, revisit it again. But I don't like the idea of rookie coaches *broadly speaking* There are enough clubs in Scotland to go get some experience at first before joining the 3rd biggest club in the country IMO. 

Watt-Zeefuik

Pre-injury in his second spell he was absolutely imperious. Our defence was a joy to watch with him leading it.

Dealt with his decline badly. A boot room coach isn't the supporters concern, IMO, can he get on with Neilson, Naismith, and Savage would be my question.

He can shove his Craiglockhart house up his bahooky.

’I’ve just got married’.

:vrface:

Armageddon
10 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I’d have Steven Pressley coaching in some capacity at Hearts before I’d have Berra

Take that back or I’ll have to report you and this post…….

queensferryjambo
13 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Christophe berra cost us two scottish cups

I would argue Willie Collum cost us the first one of the 2 Berra played in.

BackOfTheNet
42 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Take that back or I’ll have to report you and this post…….

Christophe?

JimmyCant
4 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

I would argue Willie Collum cost us the first one of the 2 Berra played in.

Even though Berra fell asleep for both goals ?

Bunny Munro

Berra crying to the press because he was correctly found out as a major part of us being relegated was pathetic. He was costing us goals at the same rate as Joel Pierra during the first 6 months.

His reaction, as a captain, to his young teammate scoring an own goal winner Vs QOTS the week after Brora spoke volumes about his quality as a leader.

I wonder if players realise at the time that burning their bridges with the club or fans will torpedo their chances of a return as a coach

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Bunny Munro said:

Berra crying to the press because he was correctly found out as a major part of us being relegated was pathetic. He was costing us goals at the same rate as Joel Pierra during the first 6 months.

His reaction, as a captain, to his young teammate scoring an own goal winner Vs QOTS the week after Brora spoke volumes about his quality as a leader.

When Stendel "found Berra out" and dropped him our league position got worse. 

Bazzas right boot
45 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I wonder if players realise at the time that burning their bridges with the club or fans will torpedo their chances of a return as a coach

How has he burned his bridges? 

4 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Wow you will literally take up any position for an argument 

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Wow you will literally take up any position for an argument 

That is factually correct, we did get worse. It's a good position to take. Try it. 

I've read this thread and surely folk aren't in the huff with Berra and writing of his entire Hearts history because - 

He called out a shite manager that taken us bottom of the league. 

And 

As a pundit he never called  a goal that was about 12 inches offside and went mental on TV. 

Surley that's not reason enough to write of a guy that played 250 times for us, got around 40 caps, has a sc winners medal, tried his hardest when on the pitch and got us a large transfer fee. 

Surely there are no adults seriously suggesting he has burnt his Hearts bridges- forever?

However, there were posters saying the same about CG when he played for Celtic so anything is possible. 

Grown men can't be that personal and emotionally wrecked about Berra, they must be taking the piss? 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

25 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

That is factually correct, we did get worse. It's a good position to take. Try it. 

I've read this thread and surely folk aren't in the huff with Berra and writing of his entire Hearts history because - 

And 

As a pundit he never called  a goal that was about 12 inches offside and went mental on TV. 

Surley that's not reason enough to write of a guy that played 250 times for us, got around 40 caps, has a sc winners medal, tried his hardest when on the pitch and got us a large transfer fee. 

Surely there are no adults seriously suggesting he has burnt his Hearts bridges- forever?

However, there were posters saying the same about CG when he played for Celtic so anything is possible. 

Grown men can't be that personal and emotionally wrecked about Berra, they must be taking the piss? 

I think it is a little rich that you of all people should question the maturity of others or how they conduct themselves on a daily basis to be honest : - D

The Real Maroonblood
18 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I think it is a little rich that you of all people should question the maturity of others or how they conduct themselves on a daily basis to be honest : - D

Fair comment.

Unknown user

Because we were shit, dropping Berra wasn't the catalyst

Mr Sifter

And 

I’m far from emotionally wrecked over Berra personally. If he came back in some capacity I’d get on with my life as usual. But if I’m being asked my opinion on him I’ll give it.  He can **** off.*

If punters decide they don’t like him anymore, so what? There doesn’t have to be a deeper meaning, an emotional collapse, or anything like that. Maybe they just didn’t like the way he acted, simple as that? And for that reason, they fancy telling him to get tae?

*typed in a calm sane manner, with no emotional wrecking going on anywhere. 

Unknown user
7 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

I’m far from emotionally wrecked over Berra personally. If he came back in some capacity I’d get on with my life as usual. But if I’m being asked my opinion on him I’ll give it.  He can **** off.*

If punters decide they don’t like him anymore, so what? There doesn’t have to be a deeper meaning, an emotional collapse, or anything like that. Maybe they just didn’t like the way he acted, simple as that? And for that reason, they fancy telling him to get tae?

This

The Real Maroonblood
19 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

:greatpost:

A_A wehatethehibs

And 

Calling out any manager as a player, is not just a no, it’s not just a no no. It’s a no no **** no. That’s sin dyed him for a lot of fans. It’s disgrace actually. Stendel had no choice to launch him and was correct to do so. Not just for the attitude but because physically he was not up to it and absolutely dreadful individually. And what you said about the form, Stendel lost his first 4 games with Berra in the team. Things improved after he was launched. So it’s not entirely factually correct from you. 

And Neilson probably should not have had Christophe back in the dressing room, but obviously Robbie was pragmatic about the step down in level and the covid situation with 1 year left on berras deal. It’s telling that Berra also fell out with Robbie as well at the end after Brora / QoS and questioned Robbie publicly as well at that time. Lightning struck twice. Not good.

Both managers ultimately realised the same thing, Berra’s time was up. Levein missed it, just one pint of his barrel of blunders. 

Bazzas right boot
28 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Calling out any manager as a player, is not just a no, it’s not just a no no. It’s a no no **** no. That’s sin dyed him for a lot of fans. It’s disgrace actually. Stendel had no choice to launch him and was correct to do so. Not just for the attitude but because physically he was not up to it and absolutely dreadful individually. And what you said about the form, Stendel lost his first 4 games with Berra in the team. Things improved after he was launched. So it’s not entirely factually correct from you. 

And Neilson probably should not have had Christophe back in the dressing room, but obviously Robbie was pragmatic about the step down in level and the covid situation with 1 year left on berras deal. It’s telling that Berra also fell out with Robbie as well at the end after Brora / QoS and questioned Robbie publicly as well at that time. Lightning struck twice. Not good.

Both managers ultimately realised the same thing, Berra’s time was up. Levein missed it, just one pint of his barrel of blunders. 

Still no reason to write him off tho and say he's finished at Hearts. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Because we were shit, dropping Berra wasn't the catalyst

It didn't help. 

Bazzas right boot
59 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

I'll keep my " get tae ****s" and hate  for opposition players. 

I suppose it's slim pickings for some nowadays, so at least Berra  let's these folk vent. 

It would be interesting to see the Gordon thread when there was a little seethe about him, might be worth a bump. 

See if there is a theme with some.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Who where you before?

Unknown user
Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

It didn't help. 

It's hard to know now, I reckon we plummeted because we had a six yard box haunted by the ghost of a shit keeper and a manager who kept picking him.

2 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I'll keep my " get tae ****s" and hate  for opposition players. 

I suppose it's slim pickings for some nowadays, so at least Berra  let's these folk vent. 

It would be interesting to see the Gordon thread when there was a little seethe about him, might be worth a bump. 

See if there is a theme with some.

You're desperate :laugh:

Bazzas right boot
21 hours ago, kila said:

He didn’t call out Levein :whistling:

Anyway this is snakey behaviour you’re endorsing.

CL Likley has credit in the bank with thec2x 3rd place finishes and even 6thbpkace finish. 

He was then dismissed in game 11 orc. 

We never finished bottom under CL either. 

Stendel gets way too much respect on here. 

Nice guy, couple of good results but he Litterally made a CL team in free fall worse. 

Quite an achievement. 

Berra with all his Hearts history gets trashed. 

Quite sad how some turn on our own so easy. 

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

Still no reason to write him off tho and say he's finished at Hearts. 

Never say never and I’ve wished him well in his coaching career. I hope he gets the Raith job, either as head coach or assistant or whatever, and does well. But can understand why some fans really are very cold towards him. He has to prove what he can do now outside the club and maybe one day he’ll be in the frame for a role here whether as an assistant or head coach.