• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Sooks

• A_A wehatethehibs

• Mr Sifter

Nah, he burnt his bridges for me. Comes across a bitter arsehole and it is best he doesn't get involved in the club again.

He'll stink it out and be a Levein 2.0.

CloustonHMFC

Wouldn’t be surprised to see this happen if we get our B team. Naisy moves to B team manager and Berra comes in as u18 manager. 

Edited by CloustonHMFC

AlimOzturk

Not having this bashing stuff. Berra was a good player, former captain and good servant to this club. He got injured and lost his pace and couldn’t adapt. Players get old and finished before others it happens. He obviously thought he still could contribute but clearly his best days were behind him. 

Let’s not forget how much of a rock he was when he first returned and his form that lad

to us receiving a large transfer fee for him. 

Mr Rabbit
6 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Not having this bashing stuff. Berra was a good player, former captain and good servant to this club. He got injured and lost his pace and couldn’t adapt. Players get old and finished before others it happens. He obviously thought he still could contribute but clearly his best days were behind him. 

Let’s not forget how much of a rock he was when he first returned and his form that lad

You’re right about his first spell and how solid he was initially when he came back to the club.

I just have an issue with a club captain doing his best to talk down about the club, when he got dropped, and then carrying on his hostility when he was a pundit for our game against Celtic.

He has clearly let his personal situation rule over any sentiment he has for the club so IMO we should do likewise.

A_A wehatethehibs

Outmanoeuvred by Steven Naismith, Naisy got the gig Berra could’ve had if he’d clocked that his injury had effectively ended his playing career. Berra should’ve retired 3 years ago after his injury, and there’d be none of this bitterness from the fans. 

Shows every player that if you’re wanting to get into coaching, strike while the iron is hot and retire at the right time when there’s an opening. That’s exactly what Steven Naismith did. 

Berra on the other hand, clung on to his playing career and it’s sad to see how it ended for a good servant at Hearts. Never overstay your welcome, when you’re over the hill be honest with yourself and retire. Or move on to Bonnyrigg if it’s just for the enjoyment of playing, folk will respect you more. He’s not even good enough for Raith. This is a 40 cap Scotland defender. What made it worse was Levein giving him the contract extension out of pity. He should’ve released him if he wanted to keep playing.

I could see he was finished about 10 minutes into his first or second game back from his injury, 4-2 against Motherwell in the league cup. If he’d seen sense and retired he would be a massively respected figure at Hearts and probably be the youth team coach right now with a season or 2 under his belt. Not sure I see a route back for him into the club. 

Japan Jambo

Wasn't at all happy with the bitterness he showed to the club when he left. That said we are all human and he has contributed hugely to the club over the years - if he is the best man for the job then fine, if it's job for the boys then no thanks.

31 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Over all he was good for us. 

That bitter end to his career with us was at a time when he could see his Hearts career ebbing away as injury and age caught up with him. 

Would have been hard for him to accept imo. 

Life's to short for grudges I wish him well.👍

scott herbertson
6 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Over all he was good for us. 

That bitter end to his career with us was at a time when he could see his Hearts career ebbing away as injury and age caught up with him. 

Would have been hard for him to accept imo. 

Life's to short for grudges I wish him well.👍

well said - that's where I am too

Still remember the toys out of the pram stuff after he left. Silly guy, fans have long memories.

Lone Striker

Its a shame for us fans that his career and attitude collapsed the way it did. Great defender until 3 years ago.   As mentioned above, the B team thing might well create an opening for another coach - but maybe one of the existing ones further down the pecking order deserves a chance to step up ?   Robbie obviously loves Berra, but hopefully any appointments we make are based purely on coaching credentials.  

According to the papers, McGlynn  is  wanted by Falkirk.  If he doesn't go there, maybe they'll go for Berra instead. 

Saint Jambo
38 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Outmanoeuvred by Steven Naismith, Naisy got the gig Berra could’ve had if he’d clocked that his injury had effectively ended his playing career. Berra should’ve retired 3 years ago after his injury, and there’d be none of this bitterness from the fans. 

Shows every player that if you’re wanting to get into coaching, strike while the iron is hot and retire at the right time when there’s an opening. That’s exactly what Steven Naismith did. 

Berra on the other hand, clung on to his playing career and it’s sad to see how it ended for a good servant at Hearts. Never overstay your welcome, when you’re over the hill be honest with yourself and retire. Or move on to Bonnyrigg if it’s just for the enjoyment of playing, folk will respect you more. He’s not even good enough for Raith. This is a 40 cap Scotland defender. What made it worse was Levein giving him the contract extension out of pity. He should’ve released him if he wanted to keep playing.

I could see he was finished about 10 minutes into his first or second game back from his injury, 4-2 against Motherwell in the league cup. If he’d seen sense and retired he would be a massively respected figure at Hearts and probably be the youth team coach right now with a season or 2 under his belt. Not sure I see a route back for him into the club. 

The View from the Terrace podcast lower league pundits had him in their combined leagues team of the season this year. He has played 38 games for Raith this season. He is clearly still good enough for Raith.

He decided to keep playing football for as long as possible. A guy who was clearly just desperate to play.

Really don't understand the vitriol aimed at Berra by our fans.

Every Christophe Berra thread saddens me. The guy is human and it’s human nature to be upset when you’re a footballer who is told you’re not good enough any longer. Some can keep a lid on it, somehow, others not so much. The Kyogo offside debate was bizarre, though, I’ll give you that. 
Not long ago, Joe Jordan was being ridiculed on here despite the entire team blatantly downing tools to get rid of him. That team remain, for the most part, heroes to many including me. However, they deliberately chucked a Hearts game and I’ll never forget that. 

I P Knightley
12 minutes ago, dsk1210 said:

"Right guys, hoof it up the park"

"Pass, pass, pass, pass, pass; one-touch; two-touches. Right now, put your foot on the ball; take your time; have a good look around; let's see how far you can kick it."

I wonder what his actual coaching philosophy would be.

JimmyCant

Disrespected the club when Stendel was here. Also disrespected Stendel himself. Encouraged division when we should have been seeing unity and quite rightly got his arse kicked out the club.

Not welcome back for me. 

Randy Marsh
1 hour ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Christophe berra cost us two scottish cups

Also captain when playing in the most embarrassing result in our history.  No thanks.

TuckerCarlsonsToupee
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

I think that Berra was, indeed, a very fine player and a good servant to the club.  But I also think that his behaviour under Stendel was, at best, unprofessional.  He was, clearly, not happy about the ousting of his friend, Levein, and didn't rate his replacement.  He may well have been proven correct in not rating Stendel, but as club captain and one of the most experienced players in the squad he should have done more to support him and to help him be successful.  It is that which makes me less than keen on any return, in any capacity, for Berra.

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, Saint Jambo said:

The View from the Terrace podcast lower league pundits had him in their combined leagues team of the season this year. He has played 38 games for Raith this season. He is clearly still good enough for Raith.

He decided to keep playing football for as long as possible. A guy who was clearly just desperate to play.

Really don't understand the vitriol aimed at Berra by our fans.

Good enough for Raith would mean them challenging for the championship and getting promoted, being in the mix in the playoffs. They had the resources to do that this season, but they've finished 5th and have missed out on the playoffs, and he’s been playing at times when half fit. He has still shown his quality at times, that will never go away, but the body is gone and he should’ve accepted it 3 years ago. 15 points less and 16 goals conceded more, compared to a part time club, is not good enough for Raith.

4marsbars

I agree with the pro-Berra comments above. Many of the other comments are contemptible but typical of how Kickbackers can over-react at times.

To me, Berra is just as much a legend as Pressley and Levein. He was an outstanding player for us, especially in his second spell where got his body in the way of all kinds of dangerous stuff and generally held things together.

Then he was injured but still tried his hardest. Anyone could see that. He was probably playing through a lot of pain, too.

Clearly, things didn't work out between him and Stendel, but lots had gone wrong before and during Stendel's reign, mostly not Berra's fault. Clearly, he didn't take well to being excluded from the first team squad, to put it mildly.

People who comment about his punditry rather miss the point. If you're going to make a successful transition to being a pundit, unless you're lucky enough to be Pat Bonnar, a fan with a microphone, you have to show yourself able to criticise your former club at times. You need to appear to be objective. I didn't see the programme where he commented on a Hearts v Celtic game but, you know, there are lots of people out there who believe Celtic to be a better football team than us! 

Perhaps Berra over-compensated to appear credible? I don't know. But what I do know is that Berra is a Hearts man through and through. Kickbackers should respect that and stop putting the boot in, the default setting for many. I am happy to let Robbie be the judge of whether he could do a coaching job at Hearts. If he did return it would be because our manager thought he could do a job and he'd get my full backing.

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

Apologies for my earlier comments on your last thread they were not called for

👍

Hectormasson
43 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

Every Christophe Berra thread saddens me. The guy is human and it’s human nature to be upset when you’re a footballer who is told you’re not good enough any longer. Some can keep a lid on it, somehow, others not so much. The Kyogo offside debate was bizarre, though, I’ll give you that. 
Not long ago, Joe Jordan was being ridiculed on here despite the entire team blatantly downing tools to get rid of him. That team remain, for the most part, heroes to many including me. However, they deliberately chucked a Hearts game and I’ll never forget that. 

Pathetic result, and lie down  by a lot of players I'd expect more from ?that was a week after a semi final too.....but its history now onwards and upwards.....🇶🇦🇱🇻🇶🇦🇱🇻

RustyRightPeg
51 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

"Pass, pass, pass, pass, pass; one-touch; two-touches. Right now, put your foot on the ball; take your time; have a good look around; let's see how far you can kick it."

I wonder what his actual coaching philosophy would be.

Neilson wasn’t exactly blessed with technical ability and rarely did anything other than clip it up the line and throw it miles. Didn’t work out too badly so far for him. 

Mr Sifter
52 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Disrespected the club when Stendel was here. Also disrespected Stendel himself. Encouraged division when we should have been seeing unity and quite rightly got his arse kicked out the club.

Not welcome back for me. 

This in a nutshell. Great player both first time around and pre injury second time around. Stendel came in and saw what everyone else could see. Playing a slow Berra meant us having to defend far too deep, even when in possession. We were too slow, too pedestrian when Berra was in the team. So he got punted, told he could leave. Cue the media pals all claiming that Berra had been “disrespected” because he wasn’t allowed to train with the first team anymore (why TF would he, given he wasn’t part of the first team squad anymore?) and cue Berra becoming a bitter ******* about the whole thing. 

Like Pressley before him, a good Hearts player who should’ve respected the club, regardless of their views on individuals within it. They both threw the bairn oot with the bath water. And many Hearts fans are bitter towards them as a result. Hey ho. 

Keep him away. 

JimmyCant
27 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Neilson wasn’t exactly blessed with technical ability and rarely did anything other than clip it up the line and throw it miles. Didn’t work out too badly so far for him. 

Probably goes to show that good players don’t necessarily turn into good coaches and vice versa. There’s Neilson, an average player IMO who is rapidly turning into a very decent coach.

Its a totally different skill set. Understanding the game and being able to communicate is a world away from being able to ping a ball down the line, make covering tackles and throw the ball quite far.

davemclaren
2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I think the fact Naisy still had time on a substantial player contract was a big influence on his getting a coaching role. I have no negative attitudes towards Berra as a Hearts player though it was clear his career at the top level was coming to an obvious end. 

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Not welcome back for me. 

:spoton:

Crying about how he got binned before his wedding, despite the club swirling the relegation drain and him having no interest in supporting the new manager that replaced his buddy Levein.

Percival King

Assuming the suggestion is that he'd be a coach rather than a pundit or player then surely the management at Hearts would assess it on what Berra could bring to the club as a coach rather than a pundit or a player. That's what I hope would happen, us I think he has a passion for our club. If we're not going to employee / re-employee folk who've upset us in the past then we wouldn't have taken Robbo back from Newcastle.

Those saying that Berra 'cost us two Scottish cups' - presumably Berra deserves absolutely no credit for us getting to those two finals in the first place?

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Not welcome back for me. 

Did he disrespect the club or call Stendel out for being a shite coach who was going to take us to  bottom of the league. 

Just about everything he done was wrong. 

Also, If we banned all folk who "disrespected" the club- Tynecastle would be empty. 

Ibrahim Tall

Don’t want to be a dick but.. my son went to his ‘youth coaching’ and or else he’s massively improved since then it was crap. 🙈 The young guy he had working for him carried it. 

A_A wehatethehibs
10 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I’d have Steven Pressley coaching in some capacity at Hearts before I’d have Berra

I’d have Stevie Wonder before either 

luckyBatistuta

Hope to god this doesn’t happen, but sadly I think it will. Made his bed, see ya

BackOfTheNet
34 minutes ago, stirlo said:

Those saying that Berra 'cost us two Scottish cups' - presumably Berra deserves absolutely no credit for us getting to those two finals in the first place?

Didn't play in the semi final v Hibs, Popescu did

20 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Hope to god this doesn’t happen, but sadly I think it will. Made his bed, see ya

Sadly it will. 

Absolute Scenes
49 minutes ago, stirlo said:

correct. Pretty sure the most recent final, he'd been injured beforehand so played no part in getting us there. 

JimmyCant
1 hour ago, stirlo said:

I think it’s probably fairer to say that HAVING to play Berra long past his sell by date POSSIBLY cost us two cups. Not really Berra’s fault that we didn’t recognise he was finished and take steps to replace him.

Burnt his bridges with hearts when he went crying to the media and refused to call it quits when it was painfully obvious he was done. That's not someone you want at the club.

Armageddon

It's a no from me too, he went bitching about the way he had to be awkwardly removed from the set up as opposed to saying "Listen guys, I'm struggling here".  It was the line of "I'd just got married" that you have to laugh at - Hearts are bigger than your Balmoral wedding big man.