1962 League Cup Final

jbee647

Don't remember much about the match but remember the crush in George Street when the brought cup out onto the balcony of the George hotel

Willie Hamilton & Willie Wallace my first heroes 

I'd forgotten all about the rain and the slippery pitch.

Great to see Willie Hamilton and Norrie Davidson again.

Great OP.

Willie Hamilton looked every inch the player he is reputed to have been.

He seemed to glide over the turf.

hoof.hearted

I know it's a generation thing but football was crap back then. My dad waxed lyrical about the terrible trio and I'm sure they were amazing compared to the opposition but don't let anyone kid you on, they couldn't hack it today. Stamina & guts 100% yes but that's about it. Watch the so called best final ever between Real Madrid & Eintracht Frankfurt...I would do a better job in goals. 

Francis Albert

Real treat for me. That was the first Hearts team I saw regularly. I remember most of the players. Dad thought I was too wee to go so I have waited 60 years to see this. And waited 36 years to see my first trophy win.

John Findlay
46 minutes ago, hoof.hearted said:

I know it's a generation thing but football was crap back then. My dad waxed lyrical about the terrible trio and I'm sure they were amazing compared to the opposition but don't let anyone kid you on, they couldn't hack it today. Stamina & guts 100% yes but that's about it. Watch the so called best final ever between Real Madrid & Eintracht Frankfurt...I would do a better job in goals. 

Sometimes is best not to say anything at all. This was one of them.

6 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

It's his opinion but it wouldn't be shared by many who witnessed that era.  The Man Utd side with Law, Charlton snd Best being just one of so many examples.

I was at that game, 12 years old, standing in the north enclosure with my Dad and got absolutely soaked!  But it didn't matter because Hearts won and my hero, Willie Hamilton, was playing.

colinmaroon
2 hours ago, jbee647 said:

https://youtu.be/IY1qLX0nVoE

found this on YouTube, never seen this before

fantastic piece of Hearts history 

our last success prior to 1998

Thanks for that.  Such memories.

The great Willie Hamilton.

As you say, the great Willie Hamilton.  Later that year we played Moscow Torpedo under the lights at Tynecastle, beat them 6-0 and Willie Hamilton scored twice. 

corryjambo

Thank you to the OP for posting that.

I was at that game and remember clearly the goal and the disallowed "goal" that Kilmarnock scored in the last few minutes. The rest of the game is a blur apart from the fact it was pouring rain and still was when the team came back to Edinburgh.

What a player Willie Hamilton was, sheer class. 

Little did I think I would wait 36 long years to see us lifting a trophy again.

jambo-in-furness
25 minutes ago, hm123fc said:

As you say, the great Willie Hamilton.  Later that year we played Moscow Torpedo under the lights at Tynecastle, beat them 6-0 and Willie Hamilton scored twice. 

And we sang all the way up Gorgie rd, what a great night,  Torpedo had beaten Rangers just a few days before.

1 hour ago, hoof.hearted said:

Football was played differently.  I suppose if you took the players from then and controlled them to play pointless passing around the back in a rigid formation, , sit back and not press into the opposition half, it would fit in today and look “modern” 🙃

I’d argue players now couldn’t hack playing in the 80s, the most impressionable period on me.  It was a more direct, robust game but not short on ability and good technique.  Players were much better in the last third, more guile , intense and the workrate was top notch.  The hunger in players wasn’t requested, certainly in respect of Scottish football. 

hibsarepants

Very enjoyable - I can see why Willie Hamilton was so revered - playing a different game from the rest.

Jambo-Fox

A great victory aided by our 12th man Tiny Wharton (say Killie fans!)!!

Alas Killie got their revenge the

following season by 0.042!! I was there at that match in April 1965 as a youngster (my second game), it didn’t hurt as much then as all the low points have since then!

My first cup final (1968) was 5 seasons after this LC Cup win.

I suffered at all the big occasions until 1998 - the greatest day ever!!

It still irritates me that I’ve never seen Hearts win the League Cup ….. there’s always next season!!

2 hours ago, hoof.hearted said:

Oh, do be quiet.

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Well said, John.

1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

It's his opinion but it wouldn't be shared by many who witnessed that era.  The Man Utd side with Law, Charlton snd Best being just one of so many examples.

Best, Law and Charlton.  :notworthy:

Great example there, Doug.  :clap:

13 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

A great victory aided by our 12th man Tiny Wharton (say Killie fans!)!!

Alas Killie got their revenge the

following season by 0.042!! I was there at that match in April 1965 as a youngster (my second game), it didn’t hurt as much then as all the low points have since then!

My first cup final (1968) was 5 seasons after this LC Cup win.

I suffered at all the big occasions until 1998 - the greatest day ever!!

It still irritates me that I’ve never seen Hearts win the League Cup ….. there’s always next season!!

I was behind the goal where Frank Beatie headed their 'equaliser in the dying moments of the game. 

He certainly thought he had scored a good goal as he took off and did a 

lap of honour round the back of the goals arms high over his head only to see Tiny Wharton standing in the goalmouth with his arm raised to signal a foul. 

Nobody knew what was wrong with it and the Killie fans were furious. 

No segregation in those days and fans 'debated' all the way out of the ground. 

One Killie fan was arguing with my Dad and my Dad said of course it was offside😂. The Killie guys face was the colour of the Hearts shirts. 

Jambo-Fox
1 minute ago, luckydug said:

I was behind the goal where Frank Beatie headed their 'equaliser in the dying moments of the game. 

lap of honour round the back of the goals arms high over his head only to see Tiny Wharton standing in the goalmouth with his arm raised to signal a foul. 

One Killie fan was arguing with my Dad and my Dad said of course it was offside😂. The Killie guys face was the colour of the Hearts shirts. 

Great moment and a great memory!

1965 - 0.042 -  I still have nightmares to the sounds of “killie killie killie killie killie” 

The retort in that day was “dig a hole”! I was hoarse!

♥️♥️♥️♥️

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Oh, do be quiet.

Well said, John.

Best, Law and Charlton.  :notworthy:

Great example there, Doug.  :clap:

And dare I say it the Celtic team of 1967.

30 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Superb team.  Stars all over the park.  Every one of them Scottish.

colinmaroon
3 hours ago, hm123fc said:

I was at that game, 12 years old, standing in the north enclosure with my Dad and got absolutely soaked!  But it didn't matter because Hearts won and my hero, Willie Hamilton, was playing.

The maroon die ran and ruined my new James Bond shortie taincoat. 

Mum was not happy!  But I was!

Francis Albert
44 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

All born within 20 miles of Glasgow. Inconceivable in the modern game.

Some of those tackles and challenges, especially those from the goalkeepers! Totally different game back then, wee ******s like Neymar would burst into tears if they had to play a game against those players :lol:

dannymack
3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

3 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

All born within 20 miles of Glasgow. Inconceivable in the modern game.

**** Celtic and 1967. 

J.T.F.Robertson
5 hours ago, corryjambo said:

Thank you to the OP for posting that.

I was at that game and remember clearly the goal and the disallowed "goal" that Kilmarnock scored in the last few minutes. The rest of the game is a blur apart from the fact it was pouring rain and still was when the team came back to Edinburgh.

What a player Willie Hamilton was, sheer class. 

Little did I think I would wait 36 long years to see us lifting a trophy again.

As was I, as you know. 

Absolutely drookit we were, not that it mattered. Was my first game away from Tynie, went through in a schoolmate's, dad's car, one of those three wheelers with the single one at the front. I still believe it was the instigator of the tinnitus I came down with a few years ago. ;)

We were behind the goal Norrie scored into and just to affirm, I still consider Willie Hamilton to be one of the purest footballers I've ever seen. 

Such a shame about the reasons behind his demise. Died here in Calgary, incidentally.

Edited by J.T.F.Robertson

1 hour ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

As was I, as you know. 

Absolutely drookit we were, not that it mattered. Was my first game away from Tynie, went through in a schoolmate's, dad's car, one of those three wheelers with the single one at the front. I still believe it was the instigator of the tinnitus I came down with a few years ago. ;)

We were behind the goal Norrie scored into and just to affirm, I still consider Willie Hamilton to be one of the purest footballers I've ever seen. 

Such a shame about the reasons behind his demise. Died here in Calgary, incidentally.

We were priviledged to see him.  There are clear signs in that 5 minute video, not just him setting up the goal.  I remember someone knowledgable saying that his key skill was that he didnt have to look at the ball when he was in possession.  He just glided past players often at great speed.

I was upper class that day Jim.  Sitting in thr stand.

I was back the next year for the Rangers final.  Fighting 1-1 draw.  Couldn't go to the replay.

TexasAndy

Brilliant find.  I am always trawling you tube to find old Hearts games but never saw this.  Great.  

132goals1958
11 hours ago, luckydug said:

Behind the goals as well and amazed the goal was chalked off. Even watching the highlights the decision was controversial to say the least. To counter that I seemed to recall a Billy Higgins shot appeared to be handled in the penalty box so stuff them. Was 18 back then and went on a bus from the Pans 

132goals1958
13 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Exactly. The late great Dave Mackay was the best Hearts player I witnessed by far. Nothing to do with bye gone days of emotion and romanticism. Lauded by such luminaries as Bill Nicholson. George Best, Jimmy Greaves and Brian Clough . Think I might just prefer to go along with their assessment.

1 minute ago, 132goals1958 said:

Behind the goals as well and amazed the goal was chalked off. Even watching the highlights the decision was controversial to say the least. To counter that I seemed to recall a Billy Higgins shot appeared to be handled in the penalty box so stuff them. Was 18 back then and went on a bus from the Pans 

To this day we've never really got a decisive answer to that one. 

Only one man knows the answer and he wasn't allowed to comment. 

What a day it was, got soaked to the skin and my Maroon rosette got so wet it turned my white raincoat

pink 😂

Was 11 then and went on the Special from The old Caley station to King's Park with Dad and brothers. 

I had one those racketies painted Maroon it was a relic from the war I think but the noise would waken the deid. 😂

132goals1958
1 minute ago, luckydug said:

To this day we've never really got a decisive answer to that one. 

Only one man knows the answer and he wasn't allowed to comment. 

What a day it was, got soaked to the skin and my Maroon rosette got so wet it turned my white raincoat

pink 😂

Was 11 then and went on the Special from The old Caley station to King's Park with Dad and brothers. 

I had one those racketies painted Maroon it was a relic from the war I think but the noise would waken the deid. 😂

Funny enough there are a couple of guys a good bit in front of me in the Wheatfield still have them

The Treasurer
14 hours ago, hoof.hearted said:

Football has changed over the years, no doubt about that, so imo it is impossible to compare great players or teams from different eras

john thomas
14 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Real treat for me. That was the first Hearts team I saw regularly. I remember most of the players. Dad thought I was too wee to go so I have waited 60 years to see this. And waited 36 years to see my first trophy win.

Wasn't allowed to go either . Never thought I'd have to wait so long to see a cup win !

Didn't live in Edinburgh so was too young to see the great 50/60s team .

Thanks for finding this

I was also there.

14 years old. Went with some schoolmates.

Still say Willie Hamilton was the best inside forward I ever saw. Absolutely great footballer. I think Jock Stein said something similar about him.

Re killies 'late goal', iirc, the consensus was that he handled the ball.

Thanks for finding that. Brought back happy memories.👍

jambos are go!

I was there. Remember getting soaked and folk urinating were they stood. Most of all remembering the joy of seeing Hearts win a trophy in person. Willie Hamilton was the new Messiah then.

SectionDJambo
13 hours ago, jambo-in-furness said:

And we sang all the way up Gorgie rd, what a great night,  Torpedo had beaten Rangers just a few days before.

The first game dad took me too. 
Magical stuff. I remember the lights and the fans singing up the road. I thought it was always going to be like that. Little did I know.

I also remember watching John Cumming lifting that League Cup on a grainy black & white tv, whilst in my grandad’s house. He was watching too, and said “is that them won that again?” 60 years later we’ve still not won it another time.

Still, 3 Scottish Cups is more than I thought I would see after all the disappointments over the years.

It’s been a great journey, making good friends along the way.

colinmaroon
15 hours ago, hoof.hearted said:

And Rod Laver would not have made it in tennis, Arnold Palmer in golf, Roger Bannister as a " miler" etc.

If you think MacKay, Baxter, John White, Davie Wilson and Henderson, Law et al wouldn't make it today???

iwasthere1954

Does anyone remember the guy going amongst our fans urging everyone to stay back for a lap of honour. This before I had ever seen one at any of the finals I'd been to. Needless to say due to the torrential rain it didn't happen. If only we had seen into the future.

The Bannon Flick
16 hours ago, hoof.hearted said:

Pretty poor and naïve post in my opinion.

Old cine film reels can look deceptive. Plus factor in the state of pitches / boots / strips / balls that were used as the norm back then before making I’ll judged comments that make you look foolish.

Edited by The Bannon Flick

The Bannon Flick
14 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Football was played differently.  I suppose if you took the players from then and controlled them to play pointless passing around the back in a rigid formation, , sit back and not press into the opposition half, it would fit in today and look “modern” 🙃

I’d argue players now couldn’t hack playing in the 80s, the most impressionable period on me.  It was a more direct, robust game but not short on ability and good technique.  Players were much better in the last third, more guile , intense and the workrate was top notch.  The hunger in players wasn’t requested, certainly in respect of Scottish football. 

Great post.

The late seventies right through to the late eighties we’re the most physical the game in Scotland has ever seen.

I believe the Cuban missile crisis came to a head the following day.

Must have been quite a nervy weekend.

Tremendous stuff!

The length of the run up by the Killie keeper to take a bye kick around 3.15 in🤣

He'd get booked for time wasting now.