2022 Census

Captain Slog

Captain Slog

I can't recall ever seeing the form, but just a reminded to scots peeps the census was due today, you can do it online.  In fact the site said end of May, they may have put the deadline back,

Some observations.

It was very interesting that they put the option to consider yourself British as well as Scottish at the foot - i nearly missed it.  Now this isn't political, I'm not inviting the children from either political camp to respond because i despise all the politics, but i do see myself as Scottish, British, European too - nothing to do with government or parties.

I loved Polish background peeps were welcomed as Scots.

What are showmen?  Have they got in a tiff with travellers?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankblack

• Captain Slog

• JudyJudyJudy

• Mikey1874

frankblack
13 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

I can't recall ever seeing the form, but just a reminded to scots peeps the census was due today, you can do it online.  In fact the site said end of May, they may have put the deadline back,

Some observations.

It was very interesting that they put the option to consider yourself British as well as Scottish at the foot - i nearly missed it.  Now this isn't political, I'm not inviting the children from either political camp to respond because i despise all the politics, but i do see myself as Scottish, British, European too - nothing to do with government or parties.

I loved Polish background peeps were welcomed as Scots.

What are showmen?  Have they got in a tiff with travellers?

The questioning was completely politically slanted from the Scottish Nationalists.

The most blatant was about whether you consider yourself Scottish or "Other British".  Where was the option to pick Both and it should have been the other way around considering Scottish isn't a nationality.

Then you had lots of pointless questions about Gaelic which nobody has spoken pretty much ever in Central and South-East Scotland.  It also asked questions about Scots which were poorly phrased and lacked clarity.

Given that they can fine you for not completing it I did so but made sure my answers were pretty much meaningless.

Captain Slog
3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The questioning was completely politically slanted from the Scottish Nationalists.

The most blatant was about whether you consider yourself Scottish or "Other British".  Where was the option to pick Both and it should have been the other way around considering Scottish isn't a nationality.

Then you had lots of pointless questions about Gaelic which nobody has spoken pretty much ever in Central and South-East Scotland.  It also asked questions about Scots which were poorly phrased and lacked clarity.

Given that they can fine you for not completing it I did so but made sure my answers were pretty much meaningless.

I thought they were political.

It did allow you to put both scottish and british - and - unlike wales, scotland is a nation - i'll differ with you on that .

The gaelic ones were poorly worded - i can order a pint for instance, say hello, get directions - didnt seem an option for not fluent but new a bit.

Same with scots, how many people can read an satyre of the the three estaities, even though we all more or less speak it?

Mikey1874

The main issue is not enough people are completely it which completely beats the purpose. 

Being online and you having to apply for a written form. 

20 minutes ago, frankblack said:

If there was only British, no Scots would have filled it in. Scots are Scots, not Brits.

Captain Slog
2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

If there was only British, no Scots would have filled it in. Scots are Scots, not Brits.

What does your passport say, it is a United Kingdom whether you wish it or not. You have the opportunity to identify as only Scots, and I respect that, but I identify as both. 

frankblack
3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Last I checked that wasn't the case with my passport.

21 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

I thought they were political.

It did allow you to put both scottish and british - and - unlike wales, scotland is a nation - i'll differ with you on that .

The gaelic ones were poorly worded - i can order a pint for instance, say hello, get directions - didnt seem an option for not fluent but new a bit.

Same with scots, how many people can read an satyre of the the three estaities, even though we all more or less speak it?

wales is a nation, it changed from a principality to a nation in 2011 IIRC

Captain Slog
Just now, milky_26 said:

wales is a nation, it changed from a principality to a nation in 2011 IIRC

Oh  wow I didnt realise that, thanks for the info, Im old school kingdoms and principalities and missed it, good on them.

Let's just deny Scotland, it's people and it's languages ever existed. We're just all English and speak their language. 👍.

At least the census will alway us to gather the traitors up post independence.

Edited by ri Alban

They should have another census next year, post independence. Hopefully all the Brits will be gone, replaced by the EU and other friendly parts of the world.

Captain Slog
8 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Let's just deny Scotland, it's people and it's languages ever existed. We're just all English and speak their language. 👍.

At least the census will alway us to gather the traitors up post independence.

No lets not, lets glorify them.  And Scots developed with English as a language.  The English we speak today developed after the Union of the crowns, the language is'nt theirs - its ours.

Traitor works two ways you know.

For eighty per cent of Scots, the indigenous celtic was p celtic - that c celt  just arrived with the Irish invasion of the west coast.  Your name doesn't reflect tha majority of Scot below the Highland line.  Maybe a traitor tp the original Scots - can't even say Scots - they added their name too.

Edited by Captain Slog

frankblack
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

They should have another census next year, post independence. Hopefully all the Brits will be gone, replaced by the EU and other friendly parts of the world.

Have the Scottish Government published their legal advice on holding a referendum yet? 🤔

Captain Slog
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Stay and we can have the Reality show 'Hunt the Brit' 

Your point is?

Captain Slog
Just now, Captain Slog said:

Your point is?

On mu opening post, I specifically asked the children not to make this a political post, was just a reminder about the census.  But theres always a teen who never grew up

hughesie27

It was actually due last week or the week before.

25% households hadn't cometed it so they've extended the deadline.

Jeffros Furios
16 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Stay and we can have the Reality show 'Hunt the Brit' 

:yas:  death to the traitors !! 

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

😂better hurry up wi that 2nd vote then lol.

AlimOzturk

Didn’t even know this was happening. I did the form the last time. Suppose I better ****ing look into otherwise they will try and fine me. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

frankblack
1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

Didn’t even know this was happening. I did the form the last time. Suppose I better ****ing look into otherwise they will try and fine me. 

I got two reminders then thought I'd better do something as I can't be arsed with a fine.  So I filled it in full of shite.

JudyJudyJudy

I did mine online then I got a leaflet through the door saying I hadnt filled it in. . Load of shite really as I had. Probably putting them through everyones door. 

Captain Slog
1 hour ago, Jeffros Furios said:

:yas:  death to the traitors !! 

C celt speaking ones, or those that pretend they can

John Findlay
2 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

It was actually due last week or the week before.

25% households hadn't cometed it so they've extended the deadline.

I wonder if that is 25% trying to avoid paying council tax?😉

Lone Striker

A topical thread, unfortunately just a gift for ri to  indulge in his usual "balanced debate".

There was an interesting phone-in last week about why 25% of adults in Scotland hadn't done theirs.    Lots of fairly sensible reasons came up - 

underestimated the number of folk who don't do online stuff

mistrust of  online security of your data

difficult to get through on the phone to request a paper form

anger that some questions had nothing to do with a traditional census (e.g. the Scot/Brit thing)

some families who lost household members to Covid find it too emotionally awkward to declare their info

mistrust of what they'd do with your data

some folk wanted a shopping voucher as a reward for filling it in !!

Dennis Reynolds

I can't even remember doing it. A very minor inconvenience that was soon forgotten about. 

frankblack
9 minutes ago, Jonkel Hoon said:

Chucked mine in the bin. Those arseholes at the Scottish Govt can GTF.

They can fine you for not completing it. 

Complete it but put in complete opposites to their loaded questions regardless if they are true.

9 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

I can't even remember doing it. A very minor inconvenience that was soon forgotten about. 

Exactly. Got the letter, logged onto the website, took a few minutes to complete it, wasn’t offended by anything on it. 

Captain Slog
9 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Exactly. Got the letter, logged onto the website, took a few minutes to complete it, wasn’t offended by anything on it. 

I must admit was very clear on sex, James wouldnt have been offended by any socially constructed gender questions after.  Although, i feel - there were no questions on if you were a poor white boy - is a much bigger area of our population that needs support - I mean girls too obviously

The English census contained the same question regarding nationality (and languages). 

There is a detailed explanation on the ONS website.

Captain Slog
34 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

A topical thread, unfortunately just a gift for ri to  indulge in his usual "balanced debate".

There was an interesting phone-in last week about why 25% of adults in Scotland hadn't done theirs.    Lots of fairly sensible reasons came up - 

underestimated the number of folk who don't do online stuff

mistrust of  online security of your data

difficult to get through on the phone to request a paper form

anger that some questions had nothing to do with a traditional census (e.g. the Scot/Brit thing)

some families who lost household members to Covid find it too emotionally awkward to declare their info

mistrust of what they'd do with your data

some folk wanted a shopping voucher as a reward for filling it in !!

Ri and 'balanced debate'.  Actually i quite like the lad, isn't his fault i hope we two can come together on something and bury the hatchet,.

And yes grandad - my cat is too Ri, doesn't take intelligence

ArcticJambo
4 hours ago, frankblack said:

Generally a waste of time imo, completed it but chucked in a lot of couldn't give a flying one answers.

Pans Jambo
24 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

The English census contained the same question regarding nationality (and languages). 

There is a detailed explanation on the ONS website.

Oh really? Wee Kranky load the forms in England as well then? :cornette:

2 hours ago, Captain Slog said:

C celt speaking ones, or those that pretend they can

33 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

I must admit was very clear on sex, James wouldnt have been offended by any socially constructed gender questions after.  Although, i feel - there were no questions on if you were a poor white boy - is a much bigger area of our population that needs support - I mean girls too obviously

Struggling, sir?

🤷🏿‍♂️👀

JudyJudyJudy
55 minutes ago, frankblack said:

They can fine you for not completing it. 

Complete it but put in complete opposites to their loaded questions regardless if they are true.

That’s why I said I was “ British” rather than Scottish on it . Just to piss em off 

Captain Slog
10 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Struggling, sir?

🤷🏿‍♂️👀

I actually love you Morgan.  No, although I'm not wealthy enough to own a spider.  Just think there are bigger social issues - ie poor whit kids with no voice

And dont get me started on pizza ovens, beer dispensers - is just people flaunting their wealth when they know fine well most jambos dont have that

Edited by Captain Slog

JudyJudyJudy
41 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

I just hate the big brother noseyness of it . Yes I think they just asked what sex you were and only gave two options 👍😂

1 minute ago, Captain Slog said:

I actually love you Morgan.  No, although I'm not wealthy enough to own a spider.  Just think there are bigger social issues - ie poor whit kids with no voice

I actually love you too, Slogs.

I just thought that there was something up with you this evening, sir.  Y’know, the way you were kind of ranting on incoherently.?

My mistake.  👍

Captain Slog
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

I just thought that there was something up with you this evening, sir.  Y’know, the way you were kind of ranting on incoherently.?

My mistake.  👍

You think i do that all the time lol

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

My mistake.  👍

Maybe he’s had a few drinks 🍹 hic cup 😂

1 minute ago, Captain Slog said:

You think i do that all the time lol

:rofl:

:touche:

Just now, JamesM48 said:

Maybe he’s had a few drinks 🍹 hic cup 😂

By the way - it’s ‘comeuppance’.  😆

:biggrin:

Captain Slog
2 minutes ago, Morgan said: