Is Ginnelly the new Djoum when it comes to slagging?

upgotheheads

3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Ginelly had a good game yesterday as did Ben Woodburn.  We just have some clueless bangers in our support

Oh the irony of that post! 🤣

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soonbe110

• upgotheheads

• Morgan

• Ray Gin

Top Posters In This Topic

loveofthegame
2 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

Josh Ginnelly should not be mentioned in the same breath as Neil McCann. He is nowhere near the player McCann was. So let's put that to bed straight away. 

I like Josh Ginnelly, he gives us something different, but my main reaction to the OP was exactly this.

Josh Ginnelly is not, and I suspect never will be, fit to lace Neil McCann's boots. He isn't close to being in the same league.

ScottieMac17

Djoum was brilliant before he won AFCON, then I think he got big time and decided he was better than hearts. 

At the time it was Prince Buaben who got pelters if I remember correctly

soonbe110
46 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Ginelly had a good game yesterday as did Ben Woodburn.  We just have some clueless bangers in our support

I thought Woodburn was decent, nothing more. I didn’t think Ginelly contributed much. 
Based on that who is the clueless banger, you or me? 

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I thought Woodburn was decent, nothing more. I didn’t think Ginelly contributed much. 

Can't we all be "bangers"? 🤔

SomethingAboutObua

I don't think so. Djoum's criticism was because he was such a great player, injured, then came back from injury, played okay out of position on the right, and was being asked to do everything in midfield for the team, and then was mistranslated as saying he should play at a higher level. He got a lot of criticism because we all knew what he could do and wasn't doing it, when tbh he was being asked to do too much.

Ginnelly, although a favourite last season, was never as important to the team as Djoum. He's criticised for slowing play down too often but no one's expecting him to dance past 3 defenders and hammer into the open goal, whereas I think a lot of us were with Djoum. 

Right now for me the closest to Djoum criticism was Haring at the end of last season but now Boyce, good player being asked to do more than he should and making him look worse than he is. 

soonbe110
31 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Can't we all be "bangers"? 🤔

I frequently think we are 😂

Rick Sanchez

Djoum was class.

Ginnelly is generally shite. Decent when he can beat a man and get a shot away but his crossing just isn't there...and that's if he's not turning back on himself...which is fine if he passes back but he usually faces up the fullback he's already beat and does nowt with it.

Oh, and Djoum was class.

kingantti1874
53 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Was more of a general point not specifically directed. I couldn’t go yesterday, so I watched on hearts TV.  Ginelly had a decent game after having an excellent game last weekend

there is something in the culture of our support which doesn’t know how to be happy. There always has to be someone getting a hard time.. 

im all for giving players and managers when they fail to deliver on a sustained basis however, unlike quite a few others on the board I’m also happy to admit when I’m wrong. 

Edited by kingantti1874

4 hours ago, kila said:

The thing with Gino is he runs faster than he can think at times and his brain can't keep up :laugh:  His crossing on the whole is pretty poor too, maybe 1 in 6 are any good.

A frustrating player that if it wasn't for his pace wouldn't offer much else. A Woodburn with fast legs?

I agree with this but would also add a few others such as Atkinson, Cochrane and GMS are just the same. It's an area that most players need to work on.

5 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

I don't remember Djoum getting that much stick. And he was actually half decent 🙂

He was definitely targeted for some totally unwarranted abuse by some of our fans.

He was a great player for us IMO.

Ginnely is quite limited. He needs space to run into. If he's not got that,he struggles with the ball at his feet.  That frustrates some people.

King prawn
2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Do you think he has potential?

He’s 25 and played for about 10 different clubs - don’t think he’s going to get much better if at all. We’re going to need better in my opinion 

Mr Elwood P
12 minutes ago, King prawn said:

He’s 25 and played for about 10 different clubs - don’t think he’s going to get much better if at all. We’re going to need better in my opinion 

Nobody would have noticed Regan Charles Cook last season. Similar ages. I think Ginnelly could improve. Definitely a good option with his pace...

Pasquale for King

He’s not as good as Djoum but yes he is, a typical winger but offers far more than GMS for example. 

iwasthere1954
4 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

We have some mentally challenged fans. I was reading one of the hearts Facebook pages last night and “hearts fans” were claiming to hate Liam Boyce cos he’s utter shite, won’t score again, needs 40 chances per goal and on and on it went. Mind blowing stuff and I’d love to have used much stronger language tbh. 
Severe head injuries some of these ***** have. 

I read that as well and couldn't believe it. If you watch epl there's better players than LB missing chances every week. 

4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He’s not as good as Djoum but yes he is, a typical winger but offers far more than GMS for example. 

I agree. If it came to a choice as to who we could keep if we had to get rid of one then I would keep Ginnelly

ArcticJambo

Gino has pace and that is a good thing, generally speaking. We just have to hope that when he gets a chance on the 21st that he has more than just the pace. Squad player probably; think we could do better. His decision-making hold him back.

3 hours ago, Darren said:

Seems to be the colour of skin that's more of a problem for some fans.

Get a grip for goodness sake.

5 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Different kinds of players I know - Ginnelly the mercurial winger and Djoum the solid defensive midfielder but anyway:

Arnaud Djoum was, in my opinion, one of the best players we've had at Tynecastle in the past 20 years, his job was to win the ball then not lose it and move it on to attacking players. He did that week in and week out  and yet every week we had posters on here slagging him for the daftest reasons.

Josh Ginnelly is a completely different type of player I agree, his job is to take defenders on and get the ball into the box, and sometimes to use his pace and undoubted skill to attack the box through the middle. It's high risk and often doesn't work, but I watched Neil McCann doing the same stuff and being succesful one game in three, yet nobody slagged him for inconsistency. Now the Boo Boys seem to have found a new target. You sure as hell need a thick skin to be a player at Tynecastle if some of the fans take against you.

I take your points made in a good post but....

’mercurial winger’.  :rofl:

3 hours ago, Darren said:

Do you actually believe that?

Boyces beard

Ginnelly is ok through the middle as a 2nd or 3rd choice striker and has had his best games for Hearts playing there. He is bang average at best as a winger and his final ball is very frustrating. He could do some damage from the bench when teams are starting to tire though as we may well see at Hampden on the 21st of May

Marty-man
6 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

... I watched Neil McCann doing the same stuff and being succesful one game in three ...

:cornette:

Pasquale for King
49 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I agree. If it came to a choice as to who we could keep if we had to get rid of one then I would keep Ginnelly

I think he needs a bit of coaching but there’s room for improvement.

The Hogfather

People keep complaining about Ginnelly not taking folk on when that's not his strength. He's very good when we drop a ball in behind for him to run onto, not when he's given the ball to feet and asked to take on a full back. His pace is his strongest attribute. He's probably not helped by being in and out of the side and asked to play different roles every week. 

As previously stated though, we have some absolute bangers in our support who just don't understand the concept of form. A player is only ever a club legend or a complete huddy. The lack of nuance from a lot of our supporters is actually frightening.

jock _turd

People will always want to have a player to boo some feel its their right having paid the entry price. I watched the game yesterday and thought Ginnelly was not bad on the other hand Boyce was and has been for weeks now total and unadulterated shite... if you gave him a box of matches I doubt he would get one lit . He may be able to do something for Hearts , I have no idea what , but he is just not a goal scorer .

kingantti1874
21 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

People keep complaining about Ginnelly not taking folk on when that's not his strength. He's very good when we drop a ball in behind for him to run onto, not when he's given the ball to feet and asked to take on a full back. His pace is his strongest attribute. He's probably not helped by being in and out of the side and asked to play different roles every week. 

As previously stated though, we have some absolute bangers in our support who just don't understand the concept of form. A player is only ever a club legend or a complete huddy. The lack of nuance from a lot of our supporters is actually frightening.

in a nutshell  👏 

upgotheheads
44 minutes ago, Marty-man said:

:cornette:

One good game in three is actually not a bad average for wingers like Ginnelly and McCann. It's an all or nothing position, sometimes the tricks and feints come off and sometimes they don't. Jimmy Johnston was probably the only winger I watched who was better than that. Distance in time can magnify our memories of players, John Colquhoun was better than McCann or Ginnelly of course.

Neil McCann - Wikipedia 

Edited by upgotheheads

Vlad Magic
15 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

If Boyce misses more chances, he'll be next. 

And like with Gino it won’t make a blind bit of difference.

6 hours ago, kila said:

The thing with Gino is he runs faster than he can think at times and his brain can't keep up :laugh:  His crossing on the whole is pretty poor too, maybe 1 in 6 are any good.

A frustrating player that if it wasn't for his pace wouldn't offer much else. A Woodburn with fast legs?

Totally agree I've said that to ma laddies quite a bit also seems to either dither aboot wi his fancy wee leg shuffles or to try cut inside very rarely take the ball to the line  with pace and fire one across for players running onto like the guy but he does frustrate 

Tasavallan
5 hours ago, Darren said:

I always remember the guy that sat in front of me standing up and shouting "Kingston, you lazy ***** *******" then looked at my 2 young sons (who are black) and saying "sorry mate".  All done.

Its frustration with Gino because he slows play down by trying to beat players with skills that he can't execute quickly enough/pull off effectively. 

If he's got one man to beat, rather than kick it round them and chase down the ball (he's faster than 90% of the league and IMO would beat most defenders to the ball or draw a foul), he'll slow right down and try and pull off some Raheem Sterling like skill which squanders the chance because he either ****s it up, or takes that long that the box is flooded by defenders. 

Kick and chase the ball to the byline or into the box. He'd be a lot more effective for us IMO.

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Do you actually believe that?

If our support was free of racists I suspect we'd be the only club in the world who could make such a claim.

21 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

I always remember the guy that sat in front of me standing up and shouting "Kingston, you lazy ***** *******" then looked at my 2 young sons (who are black) and saying "sorry mate".  All done.

I remember a "fan" berating Isma for the entire game vs Kilmarnock at Murrayfield, despite him being about the only player for us who actually looked like a threat. At one point in the second half he let a "black b@****" slip out, and suddenly went very quiet when a bunch of people glowered around to try and work out who it was. Didn't make a peep for the rest of the game and IIRC Isma scored a raker not long afterwards. Arsehole. 

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

IIRC Isma scored a raker not long afterwards. Arsehole. 

This one took an odd twist at the end

Just now, Smithee said:

This one took an odd twist at the end

:rofl:  Poor wording on my part. The fan was the arsehole.

Let us never forget this Djoum moment: 

Paterson's reaction mirrored mine, thankfully getting a glorious view of this brilliance from section A. 

:wow: 

Edited by Ray Gin

Really really know what your getting at here Kenny Black got undeserved stick for years and many before him behave yirsell

brawlad74

After last Sat v Arabs I was expecting a top performance from Gino. Sadly he failed miserably. Still put in a better shift than GMS who should surely be moved on first but Gino needs to either up his game or ship out. Comparison with Djoum even from barackers perspective not compatible. Whilst I'm on I would say whilst Woodburn had a shit first half (not unusual and I wouldn't keep) he started 2nd half really well and I would have taken Boycie off and kept him on. 

upgotheheads
12 minutes ago, andi17 said:

Really really know what your getting at here Kenny Black got undeserved stick for years and many before him behave yirsell

Oh, so that's OK then?

Weakened Offender
7 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

Complete and utter nonsense.

Every person's performance at any task varies. Djoum just the same. 

Djoum gave far more than many fans deserved. Guy who sits near me was constantly on his back. I can't think why.

Aye ok then. 

10 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Different kinds of players I know - Ginnelly the mercurial winger and Djoum the solid defensive midfielder but anyway:

Arnaud Djoum was, in my opinion, one of the best players we've had at Tynecastle in the past 20 years, his job was to win the ball then not lose it and move it on to attacking players. He did that week in and week out  and yet every week we had posters on here slagging him for the daftest reasons.

Josh Ginnelly is a completely different type of player I agree, his job is to take defenders on and get the ball into the box, and sometimes to use his pace and undoubted skill to attack the box through the middle. It's high risk and often doesn't work, but I watched Neil McCann doing the same stuff and being succesful one game in three, yet nobody slagged him for inconsistency. Now the Boo Boys seem to have found a new target. You sure as hell need a thick skin to be a player at Tynecastle if some of the fans take against you.

Don't recall djoum getting stick...I remember him having an invisible protective cape from anyone saying anything negative about him.

Did decent job but one of the most over hyped players at Tynecastle in last 20 years.

2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

If our support was free of racists I suspect we'd be the only club in the world who could make such a claim.

I’m not sure how to take this post, Ray.

What I do know, however, is that I was asking @Darren if he actually believed in what he had written, or if he was merely trying to get a reaction.

1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

Oh, so that's OK then?

You know, I know, and @andi17 knows that’s not the point he was trying to make.

8 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Djoum was a very good player but in a very bad team. Evidence was his first season under neilson was player of

the season for us. Then Cathro and levein happened and he was never the same. Ginnelly is in a very good team but isn’t producing enough. Fastest player on the pitch yet slows down every attack,  every time he takes someone on 

I agree about Djoum. He was a very good player but because he was the central midfield playmaker he often ended up getting blamed when the team didn't perform, when in truth others were to blame. In a better Hearts team he would have been very effective.

As for Ginnelly, he has definitely got something to offer IMO but definitely not in the same class as Djoum and the comparison is rather a random one. 

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

I’m not sure how to take this post, Ray.

What I do know, however, is that I was asking @Darren if he actually believed in what he had written, or if he was merely trying to get a reaction.

I do believe it, yes. From first-hand experience of people using racist terms at Tynecastle to folk on internet forums routinely branding black Hearts players "lazy".

13 minutes ago, Darren said:

I do believe it, yes. From first-hand experience of people using racist terms at Tynecastle to folk on internet forums routinely branding black Hearts players "lazy".

Fair enough, Darren.

It’s obviously been my wrong interpretation that has caused this to go awry.