The Old Main Stand: Beware of Pickpockets...

Ray French

Kalamazoo Jambo

My copy arrived today. Looks great, and worth every penny. Thanks to Ray for going to the extra trouble to get this across the Atlantic for me :cheers:

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

My copy arrived today. Looks great, and worth every penny. Thanks to Ray for going to the extra trouble to get this across the Atlantic for me :cheers:

It was a pleasant afternoon in the Diggers for the signing session. Shame you missed it. 😄

Great book. 

Kalamazoo Jambo
6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

It was a pleasant afternoon in the Diggers for the signing session. Shame you missed it. 😄

Great book. 

:(

I’ll hand in my part-time supporters badge in soon and get back over hopefully.

WorldChampions1902

Would like to add my recommendations to other posters comments. This is a great book which evokes so many memories. Buy it!

PhoenixHearts

Quite a few good Hearts themed coffee table picture books out recently between this one, 51 Shirts and the Jam tArt illustration book.

Great efforts.

• 3 months later...

A wee bump...

I'm very happy to report that since it's release in April Beware of Pickpockets has sold rather well.  Indeed, at the time of writing, there are only 8 copies remaining available for purchase!

The speed with which the book was taken up has been absolutely tremendous.  It required no formal advertising, but it did get some wonderful endorsements from purchasers (thank you!) which obviously helped.

I'm deeply grateful to all those who have seen fit to buy a copy of the book, and this is really just a heads-up to anyone who may have been thinking of investing in a copy: don't wait too long, or you may end up fighting Pasquale Bruno for *his* (and there's only going to be one winner there...). 

Drop me an email at [email protected] for details of how to get hold of a copy. I can hand over copies pre-match in McLeod Street, or post out for an extra £5 (to UK addresses).

On 28/04/2022 at 14:05, Ray French said:

Hi all,

[Thanks to Dave McLaren for allowing me to post the following...]

In 2006 I was granted access by HMFC to photograph the old Main Stand at Tynecastle. Originally the idea was simply to document the place for posterity ahead of the imminent demolition and rebuild by Mr Romanov. But as we all know that never happened under Vlad, and so I was able to pull together a more extensive archive, spanning a decade, representing the stand as a significant piece of Archibald Leitch architecture, a place of work for many people, and as the central hub of Tynie on matchdays.

I've now published a photo-book 'tribute' to the old stand, Beware of Pickpockets, which I am selling to raise funds for the Foundation of Hearts. The first edition print run was limited to 100 copies. All profits (should work out at about £10 per book) will go to FoH. If you would like to know more about the book, and how to purchase a copy, please follow this link to the website: https://www.anordinaryplace.com/beware-of-pickpockets

Thanks for reading,

Ray French.

636031560_BOPsign.jpg.5afcdb1ff32d71a305a81550e04914b8.jpg

Photo of the rain soaked maroon seats brings back some beautiful memories of N Lower.

5 minutes ago, Americana said:

Photo of the rain soaked maroon seats brings back some beautiful memories of N Lower.

I have four of those seats in my back garden.  The sun has made them far less maroon now. 

Goldstone Wonder
On 22/08/2022 at 13:43, Ray French said:

A wee bump...

I'm very happy to report that since it's release in April Beware of Pickpockets has sold rather well.  Indeed, at the time of writing, there are only 8 copies remaining available for purchase!

The speed with which the book was taken up has been absolutely tremendous.  It required no formal advertising, but it did get some wonderful endorsements from purchasers (thank you!) which obviously helped.

I'm deeply grateful to all those who have seen fit to buy a copy of the book, and this is really just a heads-up to anyone who may have been thinking of investing in a copy: don't wait too long, or you may end up fighting Pasquale Bruno for *his* (and there's only going to be one winner there...). 

Drop me an email at [email protected] for details of how to get hold of a copy. I can hand over copies pre-match in McLeod Street, or post out for an extra £5 (to UK addresses).

Have just emailed you Ray. 

• 8 months later...
Ray French

A quick final update:  I recently delivered to a certain Pasquale Bruno his copy of Beware of Pickpockets, and with no small amount of trepidation I asked for, and received, his payment too! The occasion was recorded for posterity at the Lombardia Hearts 20th Anniversary Dinner in Milan a few weeks ago (see photo... we may look of similar age, but while Bruno retained some dignity, I was an overgrown teenage giggly fanboy). 

So I am happy to report I have now donated the profit from the limited edition (£1,000) to the Foundation of Hearts. Thanks once again to all those who supported the project by buying the book - you're all heroes!

Ray French

(photo: John Gardner)

682658138_ByJohnG.2023-03-27at18_29.15(crp).thumb.jpg.e31893e82514332520ef81efc676feaf.jpg

davemclaren
10 minutes ago, Ray French said:

A quick final update:  I recently delivered to a certain Pasquale Bruno his copy of Beware of Pickpockets, and with no small amount of trepidation I asked for, and received, his payment too! The occasion was recorded for posterity at the Lombardia Hearts 20th Anniversary Dinner in Milan a few weeks ago (see photo... we may look of similar age, but while Bruno retained some dignity, I was an overgrown teenage giggly fanboy). 

So I am happy to report I have now donated the profit from the limited edition (£1,000) to the Foundation of Hearts. Thanks once again to all those who supported the project by buying the book - you're all heroes!

Ray French

(photo: John Gardner)

682658138_ByJohnG.2023-03-27at18_29.15(crp).thumb.jpg.e31893e82514332520ef81efc676feaf.jpg

Well done Ray. Great book. 😄

upgotheheads

I remember the sign in the main stand, and think there was one at the Gorgie entrance as well, There were also signs saying 'no money returned under any circumstances' and as a child I thought that meant no  change given, so I always made sure I had the right money (1s/6d), about 8p today.

2 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I remember the sign in the main stand, and think there was one at the Gorgie entrance as well, There were also signs saying 'no money returned under any circumstances' and as a child I thought that meant no  change given, so I always made sure I had the right money (1s/6d), about 8p today.

:D

dannymack

I got my copy for my birthday last year, brilliant book, despite questioning the cost the book is fantastic and I'm glad I have it in my collection. 

I'll repeat myself again though, Heart of Midlothian 150 years in images NEEDS to be done. 

Wee Mikey
31 minutes ago, dannymack said:

I got my copy for my birthday last year, brilliant book, despite questioning the cost the book is fantastic and I'm glad I have it in my collection. 

I'll repeat myself again though, Heart of Midlothian 150 years in images NEEDS to be done. 

Wouldn't it be good if it was simply 150 pages of photographs with no comments?

Well, maybe a foreword to set the scene, but simply let the photos 'tell the story'?

Hardback only ... it would sell like hot cakes.

dannymack
13 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

Wouldn't it be good if it was simply 150 pages of photographs with no comments?

Well, maybe a foreword to set the scene, but simply let the photos 'tell the story'?

Hardback only ... it would sell like hot cakes.

Exactly what I'd be looking for but I would love to see a book full of rare images, rarely seen ones or if possible some of the earlier images seen in the 1984 Pictorial History Book sharpened up but I'm led to believe that may be unachievable due to them being in glass plate format. 

Would love to see more images of the ground pre 1914. 

98D6350F-2678-4ACA-97C2-05102C7D971B.jpeg.dc77d162601049d7b769862f2e5aaf11.jpeg

Screenshot_20220824-131417_Twitter.jpg

IMG-20220320-WA0010.jpg

Screenshot_20211015-020949_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210928-154344_Instagram.jpg

heart-midlothian-football-club-bobby_360_fddcbca14951e17d81658ae23033f0e3.jpg

Screenshot_20210215-144512_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210215-144437_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200511_065124.jpg

Willie%20Wilson.jpg

20201105_010547.jpg

Wee Mikey

@dannymack

What a determined looking bunch!!!

I wouldn't mess with any of them, for sure!

If we fielded a team like that on Sunday then Celtic would likely shit themselves.

The three ghostly figures in the window and the fella cut in ½ behind the picket fence who looks like a murderer (his reflection in the lower half of the window?) adds intrigue.

Screenshot_20230505_174342_Chrome.jpg