The Old Main Stand: Beware of Pickpockets...

Ray French

Hi all,

[Thanks to Dave McLaren for allowing me to post the following...]

In 2006 I was granted access by HMFC to photograph the old Main Stand at Tynecastle. Originally the idea was simply to document the place for posterity ahead of the imminent demolition and rebuild by Mr Romanov. But as we all know that never happened under Vlad, and so I was able to pull together a more extensive archive, spanning a decade, representing the stand as a significant piece of Archibald Leitch architecture, a place of work for many people, and as the central hub of Tynie on matchdays.

I've now published a photo-book 'tribute' to the old stand, Beware of Pickpockets, which I am selling to raise funds for the Foundation of Hearts. The first edition print run was limited to 100 copies. All profits (should work out at about £10 per book) will go to FoH. If you would like to know more about the book, and how to purchase a copy, please follow this link to the website: https://www.anordinaryplace.com/beware-of-pickpockets

Thanks for reading,

Ray French.

636031560_BOPsign.jpg.5afcdb1ff32d71a305a81550e04914b8.jpg

Remember that sign.

My auld man supported Hearts for 65yrs until the dementia got him but he was only ever pickpocketed once - at Fester Rd 😄

Hi Ray. This is good timing!  Been back from Canada for the two derbies and return home May 5.  Might just pop down to diggers from Juniper Green on May 4 for a copy. It would be a great addition to go with my brick from the main stand I have back home. 

August Landmesser

brilliant, throughout the demolition I was hoping something like this was being done. That's my birthday present sorted!

Love the pictures of the old turnstiles, plenty memories of going through them. The last game I attended in the old stand was the Weir Derby… what a day that was.

Thanks for those responses, everyone. 

For anyone wondering what the reference to the Diggers was about, I'm going to be selling some of the books in there next Wednesday 4th May. I'll be hiding in the snug from around 2pm to 8pm, if you want to part with some filthy lucre... There should also be some photos from the book up on the wall (which I am going to claim as my first public exhibition...😉).

Ray.

avhudtheteeshirt

I remember sitting up at the back of the old stand for a reserve game next to Roald Jensen.

He would talk about the players and generally how good they were.

Great man!!!

I hope Heart of Midlothian are currently researching and compiling a 150 anniversary book using all the clubs photographs and artifacts from yesteryear especially now they have access to all the items that are in storage.

Francis Albert
36 minutes ago, dannymack said:

£45 !!!! 😵

It does seem a lot. A book of photographs of the old stand came out just before its demolition. Stuart Cosgrave wrote a commentary on the photos but I don't have to hand the name of the photographer. The images for the new book shown on the link at first sight seem less impressive than those in the old one which was I think about one third of the price. This is obviously a good cause but I wish the club shop had pushed the old book harder.

Edited by Francis Albert

Francis Albert
30 minutes ago, dannymack said:

I hope Heart of Midlothian are currently researching and compiling a 150 anniversary book using all the clubs photographs and artifacts from yesteryear especially now they have access to all the items that are in storage.

And a special exhibition in the museum too.

Or maybe even in a larger space.

upgotheheads

I remember a notice at the famous old Gorgie Road entrance that said "no money returned under any circumstances". As a child paying1/6d I always made sure that I had the exact amount because I thought you didn't get change.

13 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

It does seem a lot. A book of photographs of the old stand came out just before its demolition. Stuart Cosgrave wrote a commentary on the photos but I don't have to hand the name of the photographer. The images for the new book shown on the link at first sight seem less impressive than those in the old one which was I think about one third of the price. This is obviously a good cause but I wish the club shop had pushed the old book harder.

Paul Gray all for one? Not sure if that's the book you mean, I have it, it's really good. Not to take away from the OPs book which also looks great. 

5 hours ago, Manorbranchalumni said:

Where abouts in Canada are you? Also in Canada and traveled back for last 2 finals

Okotoks. Just south of Calgary. I was back for 2012 final too. Was thinking of staying over for this final but wife and I got Covid and had to extend our stay while in Spain then rebook our flight back to Canada three days later than originally booked. So all in all we are heading home May 5.  It will be tv for me for this final I am afraid!🥴

27 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I remember a notice at the famous old Gorgie Road entrance that said "no money returned under any circumstances". As a child paying1/6d I always made sure that I had the exact amount because I thought you didn't get change.

👍

D8Y_DQUWwAEd4jz.jpg

Francis Albert
28 minutes ago, EH11 2NL said:

Paul Gray all for one? Not sure if that's the book you mean, I have it, it's really good. Not to take away from the OPs book which also looks great. 

That's the one.

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

I think the Paul Gray book was about £24

davemclaren

I’m a sucker for Hearts books and it’s a limited edition. Plus, I have one of the photos in it hanging on my wall already. As always it’s all down to choice.  

For those critical of the price point: I have Paul Gray's book, it is excellent. It contains 35 images (not incl. the front cover) and runs to 48 pages of approx 8x12". The book is paperback, and 1,000 were printed in 2005.  It was published by Stills, who were subsidised by the Scottish Arts Council. As far as I am aware, there were no profits donated to HMFC-related causes from the book, although I guess the club shop may have taken a slice of the per copy price (if anyone knows better, I'm happy to be corrected on that).

In contrast, Pickpockets is 12x12", runs to 106 pages, and is hardback with a wrap around dust cover.  100 copies were printed in February this year at a personal cost to me of £3,535.03 (that three pence was a killer...). It contains 90 images, not incl. the cover images. Profits will go to FoH.

Neither book is 'better' or 'worse' value than the other - they have been published with different ends in mind. You pays your money, you takes your choice.  Happily, with the book on sale for less than four days (and only half a day on JKB)  I've already sold 33 copies, including two orders that arrived while I was typing this... 🙂

1 hour ago, Ray French said:

For those critical of the price point: I have Paul Gray's book, it is excellent. It contains 35 images (not incl. the front cover) and runs to 48 pages of approx 8x12". The book is paperback, and 1,000 were printed in 2005.  It was published by Stills, who were subsidised by the Scottish Arts Council. As far as I am aware, there were no profits donated to HMFC-related causes from the book, although I guess the club shop may have taken a slice of the per copy price (if anyone knows better, I'm happy to be corrected on that).

In contrast, Pickpockets is 12x12", runs to 106 pages, and is hardback with a wrap around dust cover.  100 copies were printed in February this year at a personal cost to me of £3,535.03 (that three pence was a killer...). It contains 90 images, not incl. the cover images. Profits will go to FoH.

Neither book is 'better' or 'worse' value than the other - they have been published with different ends in mind. You pays your money, you takes your choice.  Happily, with the book on sale for less than four days (and only half a day on JKB)  I've already sold 33 copies, including two orders that arrived while I was typing this... 🙂

Fair point Ray, it's comparing Apples with Oranges.  I'll be in the Diggers next week to pick up my copy.

Harry Potter
5 hours ago, the general said:

Will pop up to the Diggers hopefully

I prefer hardback books

aye sit better in my bookcase, 🙂.

Stuart Lyon
17 hours ago, Ray French said:

Hi all,

[Thanks to Dave McLaren for allowing me to post the following...]

In 2006 I was granted access by HMFC to photograph the old Main Stand at Tynecastle. Originally the idea was simply to document the place for posterity ahead of the imminent demolition and rebuild by Mr Romanov. But as we all know that never happened under Vlad, and so I was able to pull together a more extensive archive, spanning a decade, representing the stand as a significant piece of Archibald Leitch architecture, a place of work for many people, and as the central hub of Tynie on matchdays.

I've now published a photo-book 'tribute' to the old stand, Beware of Pickpockets, which I am selling to raise funds for the Foundation of Hearts. The first edition print run was limited to 100 copies. All profits (should work out at about £10 per book) will go to FoH. If you would like to know more about the book, and how to purchase a copy, please follow this link to the website: https://www.anordinaryplace.com/beware-of-pickpockets

Thanks for reading,

Ray French.

636031560_BOPsign.jpg.5afcdb1ff32d71a305a81550e04914b8.jpg

I don't use PayPal is there any other way I can reserve a copy?

the general
6 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

aye sit better in my bookcase, 🙂.

Same .. disappointed at folk slaghing the price ! Cost of a shitty home top or a good match day out in the Arms

On 28/04/2022 at 23:07, briever said:

Remember that sign.

My auld man supported Hearts for 65yrs until the dementia got him but he was only ever pickpocketed once - at Fester Rd 😄

I know a Celtic fan who was pick pocketed at Tynecastle in the away end in a Hearts v Celtic game.

davemclaren
12 minutes ago, Section Q said:

I know a Celtic fan who was pick pocketed at Tynecastle in the away end in a Hearts v Celtic game.

I was once accused by another supporter of trying to pick his pocket exiting the ground after a match in the early 80s. Long story… 🥸

17 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Ok about half the price.

You don't squeak when you walk, perchance?

Edited by ri Alban

Francis Albert
18 hours ago, Ray French said:

Thanks for that. And well done on sales so far. I have more than a shelf's worth of Hearts books and wasn't slagging off the price just commenting without knowing more than it was a book of photographs. Paul Gray for me caught the feel of the old stand very well. Lo0k forward to seeing how this compares. Just hope the large format fits in my shelves!

Francis Albert
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

You don't squeak when you walk, perchance?

I have no idea what you mean but well done for preserving the Shakespearian word perchance. 

But isn't it English?

Francis Albert
19 hours ago, Ray French said:

Sorry to come back again on this. But if this edition sells out it will as I understand it  contribute £1000 to FoH, less than or not much more than  the average contribution to date  of 8000 or so FOH members. £35 of the £45 will go to others. So I will judge the book on its merits but find the appeal based on its contribution to FOH a bit cheap TBH.

40 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Sorry to come back again on this. But if this edition sells out it will as I understand it  contribute £1000 to FoH, less than or not much more than  the average contribution to date  of 8000 or so FOH members. £35 of the £45 will go to others. So I will judge the book on its merits but find the appeal based on its contribution to FOH a bit cheap TBH.

£3500 goes on printing costs. 

Jambobiker

I'm getting mine today, it looks excellent! 

Ray has broken down the costs, profit goes to Hearts not him despite a considerable amount of time and effort producing it.

I really don't get these digs at the cost, it costs what it costs, if you don't like it, don't buy it! 

Looking forward to getting mine, in advance of the Diggers tomorrow but will be there anyway just for the craic and a few beers!

Edited by Jambobiker

I have the similar Paul Gray book "All For One" from 2005 (I think)

It's excellent and covers the whole stadium, not just the main stand.

I'll check out this book to see if it's as good

davemclaren
51 minutes ago, Jambobiker said:

Ray has broken down the costs, profit goes to Hearts not him despite a considerable amount of time and effort producing it.

I really don't get these digs at the cost, it costs what it costs, if you don't like it, don't buy it! 

Looking forward to getting mine, in advance of the Diggers tomorrow but will be there anyway just for the craic and a few beers!

👍

the general
12 hours ago, Jambobiker said:

Any good?

14 hours ago, Jambobiker said:

And this is the first run, hardback copies individually numbered.  I'll be heading to the Diggers tomorrow to get my copy.  As you say, if fans don't want to buy it, then don't buy it, but don't knock it.

Independence

I have bought a copy of this amazing book. The pictures tell the story and will do so, for ever , as this book is handed down from father/mother to son/daughhter. It is great that  Ray has spent so much time and effort producing this book that is simply wonderful. Being 65 the pictures mean a lot as I have lived from calling those who sat in the 'old main stand' the snobs to sitting there myself thinking 'how will I get out of this seat as I think I am stuck'. My, how our expectations have changed. If you are Jambo this is a must buy and the price reflects the quality and standard of the book. 

I popped into the Diggers to take a look at the book, and ended up buying one. It’s an excellent book, brings back memories of the old stand, but also showed some sides of the stand I hadn’t seen before.

Very impressed with it.

Got the copies I had ordered for myself and my son, highly recommended and a good chat with fellow Jambos to boot.

Jambobiker
On 03/05/2022 at 23:55, the general said:

Any good?

Sorry, I missed this comment but I guess you agree the answer is yes as I know you bought one! 😄

Edited by Jambobiker

the general
1 minute ago, Jambobiker said:

Sorry, I missed this comment but I guess you agree the answer is yes as I see you bought one! 😄

Ha obviously 🙄