Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• maroonlegions

• Unknown user

• New Town Loafer

Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

We had a democratic referendum. You lost

We can't keep having them until you get the result that you want :lol:

But then Brexit came along, creating a fundamental change in the governance of the UK and of Scotland, despite Scotland rejecting Brexit at the polls. The landscape changed. That merits a re-addressing of the issue. And I say this as someone who voted against independence in the first referendum.

Nucky Thompson
Just now, Roxy Hearts said:

Why do you laugh at our sovereignty? I'm not anti English and have English family and friends. I just find it curious why some Scots don't support their claim of right. Britscots appear to be self loathing and cringeworthy.

I'm Scottish, I appreciate our history.

I don't laugh at our sovereighty.

I'll fight for anything Scottish against English as part of Britain.

Don't doubt my Scottishness because I'm a unionist 

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

But then Brexit came along, creating a fundamental change in the governance of the UK and of Scotland, despite Scotland rejecting Brexit at the polls. The landscape changed. That merits a re-addressing of the issue. And I say this as someone who voted against independence in the first referendum.

Splitting the Brexit vote is fine Red, but over a million people in Scotland voted for it including SNP supporters.

Sturgeon acknowledged it at the time, but soon forget about 

SectionDJambo
10 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

You’re probably correct. We were told it was to be a once in a generation event. 
However, if we had voted to remain in the EU, I would think it very unlikely that Farage and the ERG would have just gone quiet.

Roxy Hearts

I'm Scottish, I appreciate our history.

I don't laugh at our sovereighty.

I'll fight for anything Scottish against English as part of Britain.

Don't doubt my Scottishness because I'm a unionist 

Are we sovereign though?

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Are we sovereign though?

After Covid, I would say we were, considering the rules Sturgeon had

Unknown user
26 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Yes we can

:verysmug:

9 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Splitting the Brexit vote is fine Red, but over a million people in Scotland voted for it including SNP supporters.

Sturgeon acknowledged it at the time, but soon forget about 

It doesn't matter how many people voted for it, Nucky. 62% of Scots voters voted against us leaving the EU, yet we were pulled out of it against the electorate's wishes. That's a material change in the situation. It also showed that the nations within the UK are not equal partners. In a more equal relationship, Brexit would have only taken place if each of the constituent nations had voted for it. That showed me that the UK can't be trusted to protect Scotland's interests and changed my mind on independence.

Harking to your own description, I was very happy being Scottish, British and European (i.e. a citizen of the EU). Brexit meant that I was reduced to only ever being able to achieve 2 of those 3. I would prefer to be Scottish and European to being Scottish and British. Having travelled extensively in Europe, I feel that my views on how society should be are more akin to those expressed by Europeans than by the English, Welsh and Northern Irish, for whom insularity and xenophobia are rapidly becoming the opinions du jour.

Nucky Thompson

I love the guy who always quotes me indirectly. Must have me on ignore :lol:

C'mon man, have the balls

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Cade said:

That's how referenda work, darling.

That's how democracy works.

We can keep having them after independence too, see if we want to rejoin an unequal union where our voice is ignored and parliament empties when it's time to discuss Scottish issues, while handing over our resources for nothing.

Roxy Hearts

After Covid, I would say we were, considering the rules Sturgeon had

Eh? Sovereignty is part of our claim of right. WTF has Sturgeon and covid got to do with it. We don't need Westminster's authority, we are sovereign!

il Duce McTarkin

Scotland should just declare itself independent and be damned with the consequences. Unilaterally breaking away from the UK would in no way be anything like Brexit and we'd be in a stronger economic position than we are currently. Nobody in Europe has as much renewable energy and everyone loves whisky so we can export loads of it. Defence would be fine too as we have the best soldiers. That's why the English always use Scots in the front line. We wouldn't need a nuclear deterent as other countries will be scared of our 'devils in skirts' and wouldn't want our sanctions to hit their whisky imports.

Edited by Dirk McClaymore

il Duce McTarkin
12 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

C'mon man, have the balls

You must have some balls to post the unionist stuff that you do.

I can't understand how anybody that is truly Scottish can sleep at night if they don't want independence at any costs.

You can't actually be Scottish imo.

5 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Scotland should just declare itself independent and be damned with the consequences. Unilaterally breaking away from the UK would in no way be anything like Brexit and we'd be in a stronger economic position than we are currently. Nobody in Europe has as much renewable energy and everyone loves whisky so we can export loads of it. Defence would be fine too as we have the best soldiers. That's why the English always use Scots in the front line. We wouldn't need a nuclear deterent as other countries will be scared of our 'devils in skirts' and wouldn't want our sanctions to hit their whisky imports.

:D That's a pretty piss poor attempt at a fishing expedition Dirk. I recommend you sign on for some extra classes at WUM University.

il Duce McTarkin
12 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:D That's a pretty piss poor attempt at a fishing expedition Dirk. I recommend you sign on for some extra classes at WUM University.

Why? Because you disagree with me?

It's not my fault if you can't handle the FACTS.

I suggest that you sign on for some extra classes at the Scottish Patriot University.

Unknown user
17 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I agree with him, referendums can GTF. if I had my way the SNP would only put forward constituency candidates, Alba would only put forward list candidates and the 2 would have a super majority at the next Scottish election.

Then, declare independence. We are sovereign, no one has the right to tell us "You're not allowed"

frankblack
8 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I agree with him, referendums can GTF. if I had my way the SNP would only put forward constituency candidates, Alba would only put forward list candidates and the 2 would have a super majority at the next Scottish election.

Then, declare independence. We are sovereign, no one has the right to tell us "You're not allowed"

That assumes the unionist parties don't reciprocate.  The fact that the SNP and Greens did that last time won't have gone unnoticed.

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Aye, but you actually mean it. He's just taking the piss. As usual.

Anyway, practically, getting Alba and the SNP to work together is pretty unlikely. In my opinion, we need another referendum before considering UDI, even if we have to hold that referendum without permission from Westminster. If that referendum comes out in favour of independence and Westminster refuses to concede, then we declare our independence and get on with it.

17 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Why? Because you disagree with me?

It's not my fault if you can't handle the FACTS.

I suggest that you sign on for some extra classes at the Scottish Patriot University.

Lame. As usual.

il Duce McTarkin
7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Lame. As usual.

Belittling people with a different opinion to yours seems a bit of a habit, Red. I wish I had your confidence and purity of vision.

20 minutes ago, Smithee said:

declare independence. We are sovereign, no one has the right to tell us "You're not allowed"

I'm with this guy.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Aye, but you actually mean it. He's just taking the piss. As usual.

Anyway, practically, getting Alba and the SNP to work together is pretty unlikely. In my opinion, we need another referendum before considering UDI, even if we have to hold that referendum without permission from Westminster. If that referendum comes out in favour of independence and Westminster refuses to concede, then we declare our independence and get on with it.

Yip I agree, hold a referendum even without permission, if that's in favour of Independence then your hand is all the stronger, if Westminster refuse, then that refusal would be against the will of the Scottish people and would be seen as such, you then can declare independence knowing that you can argue the fact that the majority voted for it.  To declare independence with holding a referendum first, means that you wouldn't know if the majority were in favour of it or not.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

frankblack
39 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yip I agree, hold a referendum even without permission, if that's in favour of Independence then your hand is all the stronger, if Westminster refuse, then that refusal would be against the will of the Scottish people and would be seen as such, you then can declare independence knowing that you can argue the fact that the majority voted for it.  To declare independence with holding a referendum first, means that you wouldn't know if the majority were in favour of it or not.

Firstly we need the Nationalists to publish the legal advice on holding a referendum without a Section 30 order.

Secondly, if the referendum holds no legal standing it will go the same way as the Catalan one - it will be boycotted by unionists and not stand.

frankblack
15 minutes ago, Hunky Dory said:

This was the last election before Scotland becomes an independent nation. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

:rofl:

John Findlay

Personally I am in the Jim Sillars camp.

When Scotland returned 56 SNP MPs to Westminster, then to me the people of Scotland voted for independence.

Lord Montpelier
1 hour ago, Hunky Dory said:

This was the last election before Scotland becomes an independent nation. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Looks like you are enjoying a wee Sunday tipple HD, good on you. 

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, Hunky Dory said:

I'm sure that was said by many the last time, and the time before that.

New Town Loafer
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Personally I am in the Jim Sillars camp.

When Scotland returned 56 SNP MPs to Westminster, then to me the people of Scotland voted for independence.

That’s absolute nonsense, though.

As for UDI, it would be of course be boycotted by the unionists. I’d be fully in favour of it, however, if it resulted in some of the SNP crooks being put into jail. 😏 

JudyJudyJudy
On 06/05/2022 at 21:55, Nucky Thompson said:

Another who lives in Edinburgh and voted for the status quo because of nationalist ideologies :vrface:

It's like turkeys voting for Christmas. Gobble, gobble, gobble 

OH well I managed to vote on Thursday.  1. Tory 2. The Liberal Dems and 3.  The Libertarian Party  and in 7th Place SNP 

On 07/05/2022 at 11:34, Mikey1874 said:

Unlike the SNP, Sinn Fein aren't focusing on separation, instead they focus on domestic policies. 

True. 

20 hours ago, redjambo said:

It doesn't matter how many people voted for it, Nucky. 62% of Scots voters voted against us leaving the EU, yet we were pulled out of it against the electorate's wishes. That's a material change in the situation. It also showed that the nations within the UK are not equal partners. In a more equal relationship, Brexit would have only taken place if each of the constituent nations had voted for it. That showed me that the UK can't be trusted to protect Scotland's interests and changed my mind on independence.

Harking to your own description, I was very happy being Scottish, British and European (i.e. a citizen of the EU). Brexit meant that I was reduced to only ever being able to achieve 2 of those 3. I would prefer to be Scottish and European to being Scottish and British. Having travelled extensively in Europe, I feel that my views on how society should be are more akin to those expressed by Europeans than by the English, Welsh and Northern Irish, for whom insularity and xenophobia are rapidly becoming the opinions du jour.

We joined as the UK so we left as the UK. Whats not to understand about that ? 

2 hours ago, Hunky Dory said:

Fantasy island. 

WorldChampions1902
23 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

You’re probably correct. We were told it was to be a once in a generation event. 
However, if we had voted to remain in the EU, I would think it very unlikely that Farage and the ERG would have just gone quiet.

They actually stated their clear intentions on that score and definitely wouldn’t have shut up.

3930661E-A023-418F-9654-22E971A46B22.jpeg

Space Mackerel

🎼🎶 Tell all the Yoons you know, it’s (nearly) 22 elections in a row 🎼🎶

How depressing, they don't even bother attempting to hide any more. 

This old meme is useless. 

Kieren webster on Twitter: "https://t.co/Ngx9soIOpK" / Twitter

The Real Maroonblood
15 minutes ago, Nobreath said:

:laugh2:

Space Mackerel
27 minutes ago, Nobreath said:

The residents and voters of Edinburgh West Scotch Conservatives are so embarrassed with Scotch Conservatives that they all vote Lib Dem now.

Unknown user
11 hours ago, frankblack said:

That assumes the unionist parties don't reciprocate.  The fact that the SNP and Greens did that last time won't have gone unnoticed.

Its a pretty reasonable assumption, there's no chance the Tory voters are voting Labour in constituencies and the Labour voters are voting Tory on list.

Unknown user
11 hours ago, redjambo said:

Anyway, practically, getting Alba and the SNP to work together is pretty unlikely.

Yeah, it's holding this country back

manaliveits105
11 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I'm sure that was said by many the last time, and the time before that.

:qqb006:

Space Mackerel

Well done all the Edinburgh Lib Dem voters in Edinburgh, the equivalent of the DUP in Stormont  with out the air fares.

Edited by Space Mackerel

5 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

Well done all the Edinburgh Lib Dem voters in Edinburgh, the equivalent of the DUP in Stormont  with out the air fares.

I’ve been away, do the Lib Dems now control Edinburgh council ? 

il Duce McTarkin
6 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

Do the Lib' Dem's hate catholics now too?

:jj:

Wish I'd known that before the vote. 

2 hours ago, Dazo said:

I’ve been away, do the Lib Dems now control Edinburgh council ? 

They were the self-declared "big winners" despite not actually winning and only having 12 councillors to SNP's 19 and Labour's 13.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Do the Lib' Dem's hate catholics now too?

:jj:

Wish I'd known that before the vote. 

Yeah after your comments on

my happy st Patrick’s day thread it’s clear to see what religion you clearly hate . 

il Duce McTarkin
8 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yeah after your comments on

my happy st Patrick’s day thread it’s clear to see what religion you clearly hate . 

I don't hate any specific religion, James, and certainly not the Jews.

29 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

They were the self-declared "big winners" despite not actually winning and only having 12 councillors to SNP's 19 and Labour's 13.

Probably a statement when they weren't actually asked to join a Coalition though SNP and Greens would need them to get a majority. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

1 minute ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

21C25D9A-6DEC-4CB8-8129-5B8708B660DD.gif

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

So a mixture of Snp and greens in a minority council ? 🤢

il Duce McTarkin
36 minutes ago, Dazo said:

They've done a great job so far.

New Town Loafer
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Probably. Lib Dems, Tories and even Labour can watch a far-left run Edinburgh fall apart and say 'told you so'.