:spoton:

4 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Aye its like a football match. 

We won 5-1 but it should've been 8-1.

:10900:

:D

Roxy Hearts
3 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Fantastic results to see SNP and massive gains for Green too.

Great things happening in Northern Ireland too.

I voted SNP and Green in my ward. Hate the LibDems!

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

I voted SNP and Green in my ward. Hate the LibDems!

Another who lives in Edinburgh and voted for the status quo because of nationalist ideologies :vrface:

It's like turkeys voting for Christmas. Gobble, gobble, gobble 

Roxy Hearts
6 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Another who lives in Edinburgh and voted for the status quo because of nationalist ideologies :vrface:

You don't know me, my ideals or reasons. I used to vote Labour both locally and nationally years ago until I realised they took our country for granted.

I completely distrust unionists and their ideals and have a deep loathing of Cole-Hamilton, Jardine and their insipid team in my ward.

I'm allowed to vote SNP and Greens! I suppose you voted for some unionist party?

Nucky Thompson
Just now, Roxy Hearts said:

You don't know me, my ideals or reasons. I used to vote Labour both locally and nationally years ago until I realised they took our country for granted.

I completely distrust unionists and their ideals and have a deep loathing of Cole-Hamilton, Jardine and their insipid team in my ward.

I'm allowed to vote SNP and Greens! I suppose you voted for some unionist party?

I never voted because I was ill.

I get that you can vote for who you want, but this election was about local issues and living in Edinburgh you surely can't be happy with the clowns in office.

ACH and Jardine (who I don't like either) weren't standing in this election.

This  election wasn't about unionists and nationalists

hughesie27

Based on todays figures a General Election forecast suggests a Hung Parliament with Tories largest party by about 8 seats.

SNP up from 45 to 50 MP's. Source Sky.

Edited by hughesie27

manaliveits105
27 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

and most nats are as intelligent as turkeys

Roxy Hearts
4 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

and most nats are as intelligent as turkeys

British ones, especially! 

Roxy Hearts
8 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I never voted because I was ill.

I get that you can vote for who you want, but this election was about local issues and living in Edinburgh you surely can't be happy with the clowns in office.

ACH and Jardine (who I don't like either) weren't standing in this election.

This  election wasn't about unionists and nationalists

Hope you're OK Nucky👍. I can't bring myself to vote Labour, Libdem or Tory so I vote closest to my ideals and who generally put Scotland first both locally and nationally. I suppose it's loyalty more than anything.

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Hope you're OK Nucky👍. I can't bring myself to vote Labour, Libdem or Tory so I vote closest to my ideals and who generally put Scotland first both locally and nationally. I suppose it's loyalty more than anything.

:thumb:

Weakened Offender
24 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

This election wasn't about unionists and nationalists. 

All elections in Scotland are about nationalists and unionists. Every. Single. One. 😉

The Real Maroonblood
38 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

British ones, especially! 

That’s some village the idiot comes from.:10900:

John Gentleman
8 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Indeed, but I can't see that happening any time soon, as the Tories are just too strong down here, the SNP are their only challengers and they aren't popular enough.  The Borders used to be a Lib Dem shoe-in, but those days are long gone, and as for Labour, well they would be as well not bothering.  Take my ward for example, where the Labour candidate finished behind the Greens in 6th place out of 7.

The Borders have always perplexed me. I mean, it's not as if they're dripping in wealth, are they?

9 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Another unionist who doesn't understand democracy, in fact hates democracy, but only when his lot get stuffed. People realise the big picture in Scotland and have shown they don't trust the tories to run a bath, never mind councils. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
4 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

The Borders have always perplexed me. I mean, it's not as if they're dripping in wealth, are they?

The way I see it and I may be wrong but a lot of people there were employed by the big estates or farms and many others worked in woollen mills owned by wealthy people. It became traditional to vote for a party that helped their employers the most and that was perceived to be the Tories. It has been the same in much of rural northern England for a long time. Border people love traditional things like the common riding and club Rugby with sevens seen as their own and probably think themselves as borderers first before Scots. Sorry if that's a sweeping generalisation!

SectionDJambo
12 hours ago, Imaman said:

Labour have the wrong man/woman  (delete as per your want)  in charge as leader. A drovers dog should/ could have wiped the floor with fatso Johnson he is a busted flush. 

The Daily Mail may have created a situation where their esteemed leader is put in a very awkward position, if Starmer were to resign, if found guilty of having an illegal gathering. They've been frantically and hysterically screaming for the police to investigate Starmer again, because they didn't get their required result last time and wanted to create a diversion for their man in the run up to the council elections. Should Starmer indeed end up being fined, and resigns as a consequence, Johnson is finished as he would have to follow suit. Even he couldn't brass that situation out.

Labour may end up with a better, more fired up and popular leader, whilst the Conservatives have to come up with a leader who hasn't been exposed to explaining away the goings on at No10, and getting ridiculed in the process. The media wouldn't let those Conservative cabinet ministers off the hook for constantly defending Johnson.

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, XB52 said:

Another unionist who doesn't understand democracy, in fact hates democracy, but only when his lot get stuffed. People realise the big picture in Scotland and have shown they don't trust the tories to run a bath, never mind councils. 

Being a unionist has no baring at all on how I would vote at a local election. I would be voting to try and oust the people who are running my city into the ground. That's democracy.

I don't vote for a party because I support that party, I've voted for many different parties at different times in my life.

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Being a unionist has no baring at all on how I would vote at a local election. I would be voting to try and oust the people who are running my city into the ground. That's democracy.

I don't vote for a party because I support that party, I've voted for many different parties at different times in my life.

It's also democracy to use your vote to send whatever message you want

21 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It's also democracy to use your vote to send whatever message you want

You've got it wrong. It's only democracy if the snp lose

Roxy Hearts
17 minutes ago, XB52 said:

You've got it wrong. It's only democracy if the snp lose

That's about it! They don't like it up em! I tend to stay loyal to a party until that loyalty is abused like it was with Labour. 

When I was a kid, Gavin Strang was our MP and was brilliant. Compare him to Sarwar and Murray! Labour are lost.

CF11JamTart

Dunno what the turnout was like in Scotland, but 39% in Cardiff. Seems pretty poor. 

I know it's all about the result, but 6 out of 10 eligible people did not vote. 

The Welsh Labour councillors are getting themselves in a hot mess about just how great they are but that is a lot of people who are not engaged with the democratic process. 

CF11JamTart
20 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Sinn Fein seem to be doing quite well.

Yup. I can see a united Ireland in my lifetime. Dunno what the outcome of a cross-border poll on reuniting would be though. 

In principle, a united Ireland may appeal to people in Ireland, but would they really want to inherit the current challenges in Belfast and an bunch of disenchanted Loyalists, and ex terrorists who are are running their own fiefdoms with punishment beatings, extorsion, and all other rackets. 

6 minutes ago, CF11JamTart said:

Dunno what the turnout was like in Scotland, but 39% in Cardiff. Seems pretty poor. 

I know it's all about the result, but 6 out of 10 eligible people did not vote. 

The Welsh Labour councillors are getting themselves in a hot mess about just how great they are but that is a lot of people who are not engaged with the democratic process. 

People are so disillusioned with the whole political thing right now.  

We are lied to time and time again by the 2 major parties (3 if you count SNP) and there are no consequences for anyone.   I think the whole system needs an overhall.  It was created before TVs and Telephones and it worked back in the day.  Todays world we have information at the tip of our fingers.  The idea of it originally was it is impossible for everyone to be able to give their opinion on the things that matter.  Therefore, we elect people to represent our views / areas into the house of commons where they would put across the points of their constituents and vote on our behalf's.   It doesn't seem like that these days as the party whip rules all.  These days we have the technology where we could actually have a 1 person, 1 vote on things that matter.  (but that wouldn't happen) 

So how would we change things? 

Firstly, I think there should be limits on how long someone can be a politician - People should do it because they can represent their community or viewpoint - it shouldn't be a career. That way they would vote on the right thing and not worry about being re-elected.  

Perhaps it should be a conscription thing, like jury duty. You get a letter and it says, you are in parliament for 4 years - with all the wages etc - and that is that (or maybe this would work for a second chamber as we need to abolish the house of Lords - cause, why should someone have a say in my life because of who their great great grandfather was?) 

Anyway, I could go on!  and I probably will later! 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, CF11JamTart said:

Yup. I can see a united Ireland in my lifetime. Dunno what the outcome of a cross-border poll on reuniting would be though. 

In principle, a united Ireland may appeal to people in Ireland, but would they really want to inherit the current challenges in Belfast and an bunch of disenchanted Loyalists, and ex terrorists who are are running their own fiefdoms with punishment beatings, extorsion, and all other rackets. 

My fear is all the dafties will all come to Scotland if Ireland unifies. It’s only a matter of time too I reckon. The demographics are all going one way over there now. 
We get their thugs and enormous bigots? Barry🙈

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, CF11JamTart said:

Interesting times ahead.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

My fear is all the dafties will all come to Scotland if Ireland unifies. It’s only a matter of time too I reckon. The demographics are all going one way over there now. 
We get their thugs and enormous bigots? Barry🙈

We’ve enough drafties  on Kickback who would welcome them.

England would be ideal for them.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

The way I see it and I may be wrong but a lot of people there were employed by the big estates or farms and many others worked in woollen mills owned by wealthy people. It became traditional to vote for a party that helped their employers the most and that was perceived to be the Tories. It has been the same in much of rural northern England for a long time. Border people love traditional things like the common riding and club Rugby with sevens seen as their own and probably think themselves as borderers first before Scots. Sorry if that's a sweeping generalisation!

I'm afraid that view was maybe true 100+ years ago, but not nowadays it ain't.  Not in the 50+ years I've lived in the Borders.

The big estates are not the big employers they used to be, most don't even have tied-houses anymore, sold off as holiday cottages, as for the mills being owned by wealthy people/families those days are long long gone.  Dawson International a multi-national company based in Edinburgh bought most of all the mills in the Borders over in the '80's, when they ran into trouble in the 00's they sold off most of the mills to foreign buyers, the mill I worked in was sold off to Italians, others to German, French & Japanese buyers.  Very few are Scottish owned nowadays, not that there's many left now anyway. 

It's true that the Borders are a Tory stronghold, have always been a large Tory vote down here, however between 1965 to 2005 here was a Lib Dem shoe-in, with David Steel & then Michael Moore, before 1965 it was the Tories and since 2005 it's been the Tories again this time with David Mundell.  Before 1965 was probably in part due to as you said, but since 2005 it is something completely different, I think.

The rise of the SNP contributed to the demise of the Lib Dem vote, but the Tory share stayed the same, even increased, probably due to the huge influx of people from the central belt mostly from the Edinburgh area who moved down here and also a large influx of mainly older people moving up from the North of England, most it would appear are Tory voters.

Mikey1874
12 minutes ago, CF11JamTart said:

Unlike the SNP, Sinn Fein aren't focusing on separation, instead they focus on domestic policies. 

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

We’ve enough drafties  on Kickback who would welcome them.

England would be ideal for them.

Scotland would appeal to them as we have just as many sectarian bampots here.

Sectarism isn't really a problem in England

CF11JamTart
9 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

Firstly, I think there should be limits on how long someone can be a politician - People should do it because they can represent their community or viewpoint - it shouldn't be a career. That way they would vote on the right thing and not worry about being re-elected.  

I like this idea. Nice one. Might put and end to the gravy train / career policitians. 

Jambo-Jimbo
7 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

You would be shocked, some parts of the Borders are extremely affluent, mostly because of rich people from the cities moving into the Borders, where house prices are a fraction of what they are in Edinburgh for instance and pensioners or near pensioners from the North of England moving to Southern Scotland.  Why would pensioners move from England to Scotland, the lure of free social care in their old age, is a big reason.

CF11JamTart
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Unlike the SNP, Sinn Fein aren't focusing on separation, instead they focus on domestic policies. 

Yes..  But isn't unified in their DNA?

I agree though that they do focus on the day job. 

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Sad but true.

Mikey1874
26 minutes ago, CF11JamTart said:

Yes..  But isn't unified in their DNA?

I agree though that they do focus on the day job. 

It's also a reflection of the position being a border vote would be lost. A lot of Catholics don't want a united Ireland.

But agree it's a long term goal. 

Still think Independence supporters in Scotland could learn from them. Not be in such a rush. 

CF11JamTart
44 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I found that when I moved from Glasgow to Bristol. It was almost a culture shock. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I'm afraid that view was maybe true 100+ years ago, but not nowadays it ain't.  Not in the 50+ years I've lived in the Borders.

The big estates are not the big employers they used to be, most don't even have tied-houses anymore, sold off as holiday cottages, as for the mills being owned by wealthy people/families those days are long long gone.  Dawson International a multi-national company based in Edinburgh bought most of all the mills in the Borders over in the '80's, when they ran into trouble in the 00's they sold off most of the mills to foreign buyers, the mill I worked in was sold off to Italians, others to German, French & Japanese buyers.  Very few are Scottish owned nowadays, not that there's many left now anyway. 

It's true that the Borders are a Tory stronghold, have always been a large Tory vote down here, however between 1965 to 2005 here was a Lib Dem shoe-in, with David Steel & then Michael Moore, before 1965 it was the Tories and since 2005 it's been the Tories again this time with David Mundell.  Before 1965 was probably in part due to as you said, but since 2005 it is something completely different, I think.

The rise of the SNP contributed to the demise of the Lib Dem vote, but the Tory share stayed the same, even increased, probably due to the huge influx of people from the central belt mostly from the Edinburgh area who moved down here and also a large influx of mainly older people moving up from the North of England, most it would appear are Tory voters.

Thanks that's good information from a residents perspective. What I really meant was voting in a father like son, mother like daughter fashion rather than that the borders are like they were in years gone by.

Edited by All roads lead to Gorgie

4 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

😂😂😂😂

Nucky Thompson
3 hours ago, XB52 said:

😂😂😂😂

How's that LEGAL independence referendum coming along :rofl:

Boris can say no as long as he sees fit :sweeet:

Roxy Hearts
8 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Depends if the Scottish people's sovereignty is challenged. If it is then I think we'll just declare UDI! 

Nucky Thompson
14 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Depends if the Scottish people's sovereignty is challenged. If it is then I think we'll just declare UDI! 

:rofl:

Roxy Hearts
40 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

:rofl:

We are sovereign NT. The English are not and we could declare UDI. I assume you're not Scottish!

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Democracy in action, unionist style 😂😂😂😂

Nucky Thompson
35 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

We are sovereign NT. The English are not and we could declare UDI. I assume you're not Scottish!

I'm Scottish and British Roxy, but some people don't seem to appreciate that.

I'll fight my corner against any Englander 

Roxy Hearts
1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm Scottish and British Roxy, but some people don't seem to appreciate that.

I'll fight my corner against any Englander 

Why do you laugh at our sovereignty? I'm not anti English and have English family and friends. I just find it curious why some Scots don't support their claim of right. Britscots appear to be self loathing and cringeworthy.