• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• maroonlegions

• Unknown user

• New Town Loafer

Just now, jonesy said:

Totally get where you're coming from and remember, I still haven't been to the booth!

It is odd that seemingly 'good' people attach themselves to what many of us view as 'bad' parties. I guess it's how far the candidate outweighs the party in that situation. It's just so hard to find anyone worth voting for if you judge them based on their rhetoric, but when there is evidence of doing good for the community, it almost seals the deal for me.

I'm not having a go at you at all btw as I don't have your personal experience with a candidate and I understand that influence at a local level.

My issue with the the local elections is that I think the current incumbents are hopeless and the alternatives likely anathema to me.

maroonlegions
2 minutes ago, New Town Loafer said:

Why would you want to wash off victory? 👀

Or sleaze and  corruption or even COVID party gate??

New Town Loafer
3 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Or sleaze and  corruption or even COVID party gate??

If you want to avoid sleaze and corruption...vote SNP.

1 minute ago, New Town Loafer said:

Great, another unionist troll to pop on to ignore. What sort of person joins a Football message board just to troll? 

manaliveits105
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Hopefully post independence, if he new government will pass a law that will allow Scots to hunt Tories.

:gok:

maroonlegions
33 minutes ago, New Town Loafer said:

So gain provide that sleaze and corruption.

You can't be serious that any sleaze or corruption by the SNP is any way on a par with number 10 and COVID party gate ect.

I will vote any party that ousts  the Tories from power up here and down south.

maroonlegions
29 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Plenty of folk I know have said the same thing. It's how the incumbents get in, generally. They've got a small group of ardent supporters who will turn out, while the rest either don't even know the election is happening or find all the options equally unpalatable. What a state our politics is in!

A  hardliner  Tory will always vote Tory ..  

Then you have a Lib Dems voter..??

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Hopefully post independence, if he new government will pass a law that will allow Scots to hunt Tories.

With that waff of cider and pish we’ll smell you coming! 

::troll::

maroonlegions
1 minute ago, Des Lynam said:

Whiskey .

JudyJudyJudy
14 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

😂😂😂

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

I'd imagine it takes a good while to wash the Tory off, after you vote for them. 

09913A2C-76FF-44CA-A355-833DE75C7A44.gif

maroonlegions
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Agree re Boris going but disagree regarding surge in snp votes , yes to a degree they get free votes due to either the incompetence of the opposition or their sleaze , but mainly get the votes due to their main policy and certainly not their record in Govt 

Then governments should be held to acount on their record in Govt.

I take that stance and there are millions of voters  who do the same. 

New Town Loafer
1 hour ago, maroonlegions said:

So gain provide that sleaze and corruption.

You can't be serious that any sleaze or corruption by the SNP is any way on a par with number 10 and COVID party gate ect.

I will vote any party that ousts  the Tories from power up here and down south.

I’d rather not - in here. It’s gone off topic enough due to a handful of people who are spoiling what could be an interesting thread.

maroonlegions

I’d rather not - in here. It’s gone off topic enough due to a handful of people who are spoiling what could be an interesting thread.

Ok. Then why bring sleaze and corruption up then??

It's going to be challenged is it not??

Not one political party is whiter than white.

Its about time politicians and their parties policies , when in office are held to account.

People are now seeing right through it.

The fact that the least well off and those in WORK are in a worse state of in work poverty under this Tory government??

New Town Loafer

Ok. Then why bring sleaze and corruption up then??

It was a response to someone else suggesting only the Tories are mired in sleaze and corruption.

maroonlegions

It was a response to someone else suggesting only the Tories are mired in sleaze and corruption.

So some else's fault but never the Tories. Gotcha ..

Cheers. :thumb:

Taking the indy/tory battle to one side for now.... I'm considering voting for Ashley Graczyk in my ward.

Had a look at her campaign site and seems to be on the right side of most of the issues from what I can tell; affordable housing, not selling the whole area to student accommodation developers, etc.

Also, she's an independent which I like.

Politically I'd probably be most aligned to consider SNP/Labour, but they've done a horrific job and I don't feel I can endorse them. The total mess they have made of the roads with these ugly bollards, particularly when you consider the state of the potholes, etc. is appalling.

ECC generally do a horrible job of running the city (regardless of who's in power), so I'm not optimistic that this election will do much to change that whoever comes out on top.

Japan Jambo
1 hour ago, maroonlegions said:

Whiskey .

Off to traitors gate with you my friend - Real Scots drink Whisky. 😁

maroonlegions
5 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Off to traitors gate with you my friend - Real Scots drink Whisky. 😁

I hate Whiskey , makes me boke..

Like   porridge  though, none of that Readybrek shit..

maroonlegions
9 minutes ago, The Fonz said:

Taking the indy/tory battle to one side for now.... I'm considering voting for Ashley Graczyk in my ward.

Had a look at her campaign site and seems to be on the right side of most of the issues from what I can tell; affordable housing, not selling the whole area to student accommodation developers, etc.

Politically I'd probably be most aligned to consider SNP/Labour, but they've done a horrific job and I don't feel I can endorse them. The total mess they have made of the roads with these ugly bollards, particularly when you consider the state of the potholes, etc. is appalling.

ECC generally do a horrible job of running the city (regardless of who's in power), so I'm not optimistic that this election will do much to change that whoever comes out on top.

Interesting. 

New Town Loafer
9 minutes ago, The Fonz said:

Good post.

Unknown user
2 hours ago, jonesy said:

No idea, ML.

Anyway, plenty of space for national party politics on the other threads. Let's go back - and I'm including myself in this - to making this about the local elections guys :) 

The public have an opportunity to voice their opinion on recent shenanigans, and they will.

maroonlegions

People need to take back their power of decision making.

Politicians have proved they can't be trusted to serve the electorate. Same goes for those highly paid counsellors who can't even get fixing potholes right.  

Cooncil tax increase , they are never shy to do that.??

JudyJudyJudy
16 minutes ago, The Fonz said:

I cant locate any info about my two local ward councillors. Is she Gorgie ? 

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

The public have an opportunity to voice their opinion on recent shenanigans, and they will.

No they wont. They will vote SNP because of their Indy policy. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, The Fonz said:

Yeah- Gorgie Sighthill. 

https://www.ashleygraczyk.com/about

Yes shes very pro active on Facebook on the Gorgie / Dalry page. .  But its not my area. I cant find a scooby about both of my local councillors. Where's the transparency? 

26 minutes ago, The Fonz said:

Also, she's an independent which I like

Former Tory so she can :bolt:

Ranked 7 on my ballot

Jambo-Jimbo
38 minutes ago, The Fonz said:

When the Greens get their way and all cars in Edinburgh are banned, you'll need somewhere to tie your horse, the bollards will come in handy.  :laugh:

maroonlegions
4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

When the Greens get their way and all cars in Edinburgh are banned, you'll need somewhere to tie your horse, the bollards will come in handy.  :laugh:

Public transport??

All Tories in Edinburgh should be banned..:greggy:

Edited by maroonlegions

Montgomery Brewster

I am sure you actually meant torched 🔥 

Weakened Offender
3 hours ago, jonesy said:

Transgender tartan unicorns have already won the tender to this one, JJ. Apparently they just fart out complete buildings when they're not otherwise engaged in pumping out free bus passes and prescriptions.

Remember when Hipster Josie pretended to be a former YES voter though 😁😁😁

Jambo-Jimbo
15 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Public transport??

Yip, new buses are on order.

image.jpeg.985a0fdcf80c0b292b8dbc1e8fa31981.jpeg

Unknown user
13 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Vote none of the above !

I like the cut of your jib, please have some assets

JudyJudyJudy

9 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Cheers i looked at each candidates twitter or Facebook and not overtly impressed in any of them to be honest. Quelle surprise. I mean Labour, Tory and SNP.  There is no ALBA candidate in my area. 

maroonlegions
40 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yip, new buses are on order.

image.jpeg.985a0fdcf80c0b292b8dbc1e8fa31981.jpeg

Its the Tories that are dragging this country back to the 17 /1800s ...    I mean no welfare system soon if they get their way again, what's next free health care like the NHS privatised,  both were Labour creations..  

JudyJudyJudy
13 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Its the Tories that are dragging this country back to the 17 /1800s ...    I mean no welfare system soon if they get their way again, what's next free health care like the NHS privatised,  both were Labour creations..  

No welfare state soon ? 

Your situation - Turn2us  list of benefits available in the UK 

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Former Tory so she can :bolt:

Ranked 7 on my ballot

She did.

She also routinely engages with the people in Gorgie on issues such as fly tipping lack of response from council services.

She doesn't hide when helping people against criminality in the Gorgie area despite her disability which she tries to hide.

Many people hold conservative views but are not particularly drawn to the Tories.

She  does what a local Councillor is supposed to do and give access to local people to get answers to problems.

As per usual these threads disappear into the usual nonsense.

And yet everyone complains that the politicians do the same.

Even posters on here just resort to whataboutery.

Edinburgh councils record in recent years in respect to the most vulnerable in the city is shite.

They need emptied.

Their failure to address what amounts to a housing crisis not just for vulnerable homeless but those who are able to work but suffer the cost of housing now higher than London is a disgrace.

Building student flats that only wealthy parents can subsidise .

Affordable housing now means a shoe box for 200,000 .

Local elections you would think would be the perfect opportunity to throw stones at the politicians who despite the relative wealth of the city still cannot see fit to look after its care workers etc.

Isn't that one of the reasons we want independence?

Are these elections merely a vehicle to stick 2 fingers up to the tories despite them having no power in a devolved country where local councils are definitely in its remit.

But if you want to vote for a badge colour on you go.

JudyJudyJudy

Ironically when i checked the social media of 3 candidates the most " active  one  was the SNP guy.  Seems to be involved in the local community a lot or  perhaps just tweets a lot and isn't hands on like the others ? Who knows really. 

23 minutes ago, jonesy said:

You're a strange woman, WO, a real strange one.

Strange is good or exotic.

He's neither.

Bitter would be my description.

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Ked said:

She did.

She also routinely engages with the people in Gorgie on issues such as fly tipping lack of response from council services.

She doesn't hide when helping people against criminality in the Gorgie area despite her disability which she tries to hide.

Many people hold conservative views but are not particularly drawn to the Tories.

She  does what a local Councillor is supposed to do and give access to local people to get answers to problems.

Even posters on here just resort to whataboutery.

Edinburgh councils record in recent years in respect to the most vulnerable in the city is shite.

They need emptied.

Their failure to address what amounts to a housing crisis not just for vulnerable homeless but those who are able to work but suffer the cost of housing now higher than London is a disgrace.

Building student flats that only wealthy parents can subsidise .

Affordable housing now means a shoe box for 200,000 .

Local elections you would think would be the perfect opportunity to throw stones at the politicians who despite the relative wealth of the city still cannot see fit to look after its care workers etc.

Isn't that one of the reasons we want independence?

Are these elections merely a vehicle to stick 2 fingers up to the tories despite them having no power in a devolved country where local councils are definitely in its remit.

But if you want to vote for a badge colour on you go.

Great posting. 

JudyJudyJudy

Question,  

Why do some wards only have 2 councillors whereas others have more ? I'm assuming its due to population size? 

4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Question,  

Why do some wards only have 2 councillors whereas others have more ? I'm assuming its due to population size? 

Spot on. They try to have the same ratio of electors to Councillors as possible.

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Spot on. They try to have the same ratio of electors to Councillors as possible.

👍👍👍

23 minutes ago, Ked said:

She did.

She was "shocked" to see the impact of Tory policies on vulnerable people and claims to be pro-European. It seems she stood for the Conservatives without even doing the most basic research on what their policies were about. This doesn't strike me as a person who would be competent at her job.

Edited by Ray Gin

Just now, Ray Gin said:

She was "shocked" to see the impact of Tory policies on vulnerable people and claims to be pro-European. It seems she stood for the Conservatives without even doing the most basic research on what their policies were about. This doesn't strike as a person who would be competent at her job.

I've got news for you she is.

She is constantly available and gives information about the day to day problems of her constituents.

The Tory Party as far as I could tell during the brexit vote had plenty who wanted to remain.

This is Edinburgh Council elections.

They do not look after the vulnerable people of this city with due care despite being one of the wealthiest cities in Europe.

Anyway you dismissed her because she once was a member of that party.

I take it you have always voted the same all your life ?

Listen its up to you and your views are as important as anyone's.

But my view is the current governance of this city is absolutely shite.

She recognises the local anger especially regarding housing .

A 1 bedroom flat in Gorgie is currently 850 a month.

There's little room in social housing.

There is 3 new builds currently underway.

All student accommodation.

Which in itself isn't a bad thing but does absolutely fek all for either local young people or even students from poorer background.

The Council also has a shameful record for housing families often put up in bed and breakfasts at an enormous cost when faced with homelessness that far exceeds any city in the UK let alone Scotland.

The SNP who.m so many will not criticise and instead resort to whataboutery should hang their heads in shame for the national picture on housing.

Which is now a crisis.

I think we must all know people whose rent swallowz up a huge proportion of their income.

There are other issues the Edinburgh Council have been totally inept at dealing with.

Not least turning the city into a theme park that's cheap and tacky while ignoring the real problems of its residents.

Can anyone give reasons for re election the current Edinburgh regime other than "they're no tories"