Replacement for Soapy next season.....

ElGee1973

4 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

We could ask #!bs feeder club Brighton if they’d like us to help them again. 

I’m actually wondering if that was ever real, did Brighton even know about it🤷‍♂️

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• RustyRightPeg

• Rudy T

• johnking123

Top Posters In This Topic

RustyRightPeg
21 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I know mate. If they want to pass on Richarlison or Calvert-Lewin we might find a place for them in the team….

You’re pushing your luck now

RustyRightPeg

Why is Haring being classed as a centre half? If I’m not mistaken he hasn’t played there since pre season under Levein…….

44 minutes ago, OTT said:

Moore hasn’t really impressed so far IMO, but he has these next few games against high level opposition to show Robbie and Savage something. 

In answer to the OP, I don’t think you replace Souttar. Certainly not like for like. Maybe an older head might be smarter with Sibbick as a sort of understudy filling in for him and Halkett? 

I agree which is actually the reason behind my thoughts.

You can't go out and buy another Souttar or another Halkett for that matter. We couldn't afford either as they are now.

What we need is someone who will come to us and be good enough to play alongside Halkett and eventually become as good if not better than him.

HeartsandonlyHearts
6 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I’m actually wondering if that was ever real, did Brighton even know about it🤷‍♂️

“Good morning, do you have any talented players who’d like to experience top league Scottish football “

”who is this

” it’s us, #!bs”

”don’t ever call this number again”

We need someone that can pass through the oppositions lines from defence and who is comfortable on the ball. It has to be like for like imo.

Fort Vallance
3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

We need someone that can pass through the oppositions lines from defence and who is comfortable on the ball. It has to be like for like imo.

We could buy him back with the European money.

42 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Other option is put Smith in that position.  He can easily play right side of three man defense.

Kingsley, Halkett, Smith isn’t a tall defence for cross balls and set pieces. Need height. 

RustyRightPeg

Ballard, McIntyre, Fitzwater any of these 3. 

I also believe we should be looking to explore Villa’s u23s. Gerrard always spoke highly of us as a club and I’m sure he’d be open to loaning us a player or two. 

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Kingsley, Halkett, Smith isn’t a tall defence for cross balls and set pieces. Need height. 

Stuart Findlay On MLS & Scotland Ambitions And A 'Special Time' At  Kilmarnock

Finding it impossible to see past Findlay. Between him and Halkett, we're conceding nothing at corners and scoring for fun at the other end :D 

He's 6ft 3/4 in and a complete ****ing unit. 

Losing him probably sent Killie on the downwards spiral into the Championship. 

Full confidence in Savage to better this though :) 

7 minutes ago, OTT said:

Finding it impossible to see past Findlay. Between him and Halkett, we're conceding nothing at corners and scoring for fun at the other end :D 

This. 

johnking123

Liam Lindsay would not be replacement for soapy.  But be a better choice than Finlay.  Not get much game time at Preston.

Its a major disappointment we haven't any youths coming through to haveca go at this position even if it was for the rest of the season just to have a look at It looks like a while till we have anyone ready for the first team At least the new recruitment has gone well so it's time we seriously improved our youth vest up

johnking123
4 minutes ago, otterjohn said:

Its a major disappointment we haven't any youths coming through to haveca go at this position even if it was for the rest of the season just to have a look at It looks like a while till we have anyone ready for the first team At least the new recruitment has gone well so it's time we seriously improved our youth vest up

Going to take a few more seasons for youth to come trough again. Team in lowland league will help 

2 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Why is Haring being classed as a centre half? If I’m not mistaken he hasn’t played there since pre season under Levein…….

And he might not even be here next season.  He could obviously cover the position if he was here, but I wouldn't include him in the list of CBs as CM is our preferred position for him.  It would be like listing Halliday in about 5 different positions just because he can cover all of them.

1 hour ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Ballard, McIntyre, Fitzwater any of these 3. 

I also believe we should be looking to explore Villa’s u23s. Gerrard always spoke highly of us as a club and I’m sure he’d be open to loaning us a player or two. 

Good shout.  Gerrard also understands the league and will appreciate it's not as poor as some people seem to believe.  

Devils advocate: if Kingsley was to stay at LCB, would we need a ball playing RCB? Might having someone defensively solid covering Atkinson be more important?

Soapy was excellent at both. I’d guess we are going to have to choose one or the other in the short term. 

Keep Moore as a project and work on his defensive game whilst we sign a stopper? 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Queensland Jambo said:

We've been unlucky with injuries.

Before we sign anyone else and assuming Moore returns to Bristol, next season we'll have 5 centre halves - Smith, Halkett, Kingsley, Sibbick, Haring.  

While I think we will need another to cope with injury and European football, I hope we really go for an outstanding player; a real upgrade.  Maybe a development project too but I think that might be Sibbick.  

That's what building on this season, and the money we have brought ourselves, will feel like.

Agreed. 

Smith is a rb

Haring is a midfielder. 

Not sure what Sibbick is. 

These guys can play CB, but we need to replace Souttar with better than them.

Sibbick can be the project for this season and hopefully in a season or 2 he becomes an accomplished player. 

On 26/04/2022 at 03:25, karipidis said:

Also Halkett. 

Jason Kerr at Wigan. Heard he was homesick.....!

5 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Toby Sibbick will slot in there. You watch where we play him in pre-season friendlies.

Remember how shite Goncalves was at first then he became a total God, loved that man.

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Replacement for Souttar? There's a list of ready-made replacements listed here.

Ffs, scrolled down a bit before I clicked. 

4 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Soapy was a project when we signed him, a project that never bore any fruit for us. Injured for 60-70% of his time here and ****s off on a free after one of 3 ten game purple patches he’s had in 6 years.

Toby is only 21-22, I’ve seen enough to warrant a bit of patience with him. He has adequately replaced Souttar already this season, yes a few wobbles and one car crash game at ibrox. But Souttars not played in 2 months and I don’t find myself particularly miss him. Actually feel he was a bit overrated based on his undoubted class in possession. Some of his defensive aspects are still lacking even today because he is not seasoned and dominant, he just has had too many interruptions in his career. So you say “our best players” but I don’t actually think he is one of our best players. Because he only averages 2 games out every 5 that’s been played since he joined us. How can you be one of your clubs best players when your body leaves you hardly able to string more than 10 games together. That flaw vastly outweighs any ability or talent. 

We have been wanting to get younger players in our 11, this is what it takes, you’ve got to be patient with the inexperience aspects particularly with defenders. I am quite interested to see how Sibbick gets on at RCB next season, I actually think he could be a really dominant force once he’s found his rhythm and got a bit more streetwise and added more aggression. I  think it’s more likely we see the bigger bucks spent on a LCB or LWB, an Igor Rossi maybe. 

The reality is there’s always projects at Hearts. Particularly if it’s a 21-22 year old player. 

Good post and bang on the money for me.

Seems obvious that we'll bring in at least one, if not two centre halves to replace Souttar and Moore.

I'm sure we are interested in Findlay but by all accounts he's happy where he is. 

I really like Jason Kerr but our guys will have been working hard on this problem since Souttar agreed to be a hun. I'm sure they'll have a list of suitable players. 

We can't rely on Smith, Sibbick or Haring. 

8 hours ago, Section Q said:

Jason Kerr at Wigan. Heard he was homesick.....!

Funny how many players get home sick after going to Wigan not surprising though

Bazzas right boot
11 hours ago, OTT said:

I'm on this boat as well. 

Bazzas right boot
13 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Soapy was a project when we signed him, a project that never bore any fruit for us. Injured for 60-70% of his time here and ****s off on a free after one of 3 ten game purple patches he’s had in 6 years.

Toby is only 21-22, I’ve seen enough to warrant a bit of patience with him. He has adequately replaced Souttar already this season, yes a few wobbles and one car crash game at ibrox. But Souttars not played in 2 months and I don’t find myself particularly miss him. Actually feel he was a bit overrated based on his undoubted class in possession. Some of his defensive aspects are still lacking even today because he is not seasoned and dominant, he just has had too many interruptions in his career. So you say “our best players” but I don’t actually think he is one of our best players. Because he only averages 2 games out every 5 that’s been played since he joined us. How can you be one of your clubs best players when your body leaves you hardly able to string more than 10 games together. That flaw vastly outweighs any ability or talent. 

We have been wanting to get younger players in our 11, this is what it takes, you’ve got to be patient with the inexperience aspects particularly with defenders. I am quite interested to see how Sibbick gets on at RCB next season, I actually think he could be a really dominant force once he’s found his rhythm and got a bit more streetwise and added more aggression. I  think it’s more likely we see the bigger bucks spent on a LCB or LWB, an Igor Rossi maybe. 

The reality is there’s always projects at Hearts. Particularly if it’s a 21-22 year old player. 

Souttar was a project but had played over 150 games at our level and was proven to be decent or even good at this level. 

He's one of our best players as he's hitting his peak, we tried very hard to keep him, he just got back In the international team and has been signed by a bigger club. 

Bigger clubs don't buy your shite players, fans may be indifferent to him but within the Scottish footballing world by all accounts Souttar is regarded as a good player who has still to hit his peak. 

I agree his injuries Ironically soften the blow for us in a strange way as although he's a good player, guys like Halkett and Kingsley have been far more pivotal in our performances. 

Sibbick simply isn't a as good tho and Tbh we are in a far stronger position now and need players that are more ready. 

If you've watched Sibbick play and Souttar play then it's easy to see that atm Sibbick isn't as good. 

I agree, We can have project players alongside our starting xi, but if we replace our better players with punts we won't improve and will Likley be caught by other clubs. 

I'm in the camp that we'll sign Findlay and Sibbick will become this seasons Moore. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

I think Sibbick will come good and no doubt he has looked shaky and nervous on occasion. I wasn't at Tannadice on Sunday, how did he play there? I thought he came onto a decent game against Hibs in the second half of both the league and cup game. I don't think he's ready to play every week but there is the argument that he needs games to learn and get experience and I think he is going to have the odd brain fart. He does look as though he has the raw materials to be decent though. 

Japan Jambo
12 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

That Orange and White one maybe 😂

lol, can't be that one though, it looks fit and ready to play

RustyRightPeg

Luke Wolfenden is another name I’m intrigued by. 23, 6 foot 4 at Ipswich Town and an ever present with a promising injury history. 

Broxburn Jambo
14 hours ago, number-16 said:

Smith and Sibbick will play there I expect.

Sibbick will be the long-term replacement at RCB but Smith will probably be used a fair bit for his experience over the next season.

This is pretty much my thoughts too, I think Smith will only start about 30 games and of those 30 he will only complete around 20-25 games, I expect by Jan 2023 Toby will be our starting CB with Smith as cover for both CB and RWB positions, but bloody hell, what good cover, next year with Europe as well we will play a squad game.

17 hours ago, Mr Rabbit said:

Whether he has fallen down the pecking order or not they will be wanting a few million to recuperate the money they spent last summer. 

Whilst he’s undoubtedly got better we will not be spending that money on any player but if we could I wouldn’t  be spending it on him.

Hendry is bambi on ice at times and not much of an upgrade from Sibbick.  

Every time Sibbick has played in the central role he's been fine - but unless we play 4 at the back fitting him and Halkett in is not going to work as Sibbick is not a RCB.

bobby bombscare
2 minutes ago, briever said:

Every time Sibbick has played in the central role he's been fine - but unless we play 4 at the back fitting him and Halkett in is not going to work as Sibbick is not a RCB.

need to mind he isn't that old so is still very much learning his trade in many ways. I think he will come good. A full summer working with the coaches on some of the more focused points of the role should help him a fair bit too! 

Club has said on many occasions that he is one for the future and is being brought in as a development player. 

Edited by bobby bombscare

Just now, bobby bombscare said:

need to mind he isn't that old so is still very much learning his trade in many ways. I think he will come good. A full summer working with the coaches on some of the more focused points of the role should help him a fair bit too! 

I know and the fact he's always looked much more assured at CB gives me confidence he will.

We are going to need more players next season and rotate more because of Europe - so multiple defenders comfortable/competent in at least two places is essential.

upgotheheads
7 minutes ago, briever said:

That seems to be the case, but you have to wonder why that should be. Souttar can play either role, so can Halkett from what I have seen. Maybe it's because he can't handle being exposed to players being able to attack him on the outside without anyone covering him?

Edited by upgotheheads

19 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

That seems to be the case, but you have to wonder why that should be. Souttar can play either role, so can Halkett from what I have seen. Maybe it's because he can't handle being exposed to players being able to attack him on the outside without anyone covering him?

Looks very uncomfortable getting turned as he doesn't have a very fast first 10m - maybe something else that needs some work.

17 hours ago, John Findlay said:

There was a reason why we signed him.

A certain Steven Pressley was slaughtered when he first came to Hearts. Didn't turn out to badly for him.

Just a bit of patience required with Toby. Patience something alot of the modern day football supporter doesn't have.

Yip remember Pressley looked like a fish out of water playing right back at first if my memory correct

Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, Sooks said:

Funny how many players get home sick after going to Wigan not surprising though

Was just down there again last week for the first time in ten years, it’s regressed a bit but is pretty close to Liverpool and Manchester if you want stuff to do. 
Kerr might be on Hibs and Aberdeens radar if he wants back up the road. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Was just down there again last week for the first time in ten years, it’s regressed a bit but is pretty close to Liverpool and Manchester if you want stuff to do. 
Kerr might be on Hibs and Aberdeens radar if he wants back up the road. 

The point remains it makes Scottish footballers home sick : - D