Europe Travel Thread ✈️🚝🚌🚗🚴🚢

Ked

41 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

We did Bosnia Braga and Bordeaux all by coach organised by a lad called Derek   Crosbie had some great laughs and made some great friends.

Never again in my life will I travel any long distance by coach.

My first and last experience was Paris 84.

All friends at the start .

😄

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Heartsmad1874

• davemclaren

• Ribble

• Boab

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

48 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

We did Bosnia Braga and Bordeaux all by coach organised by a lad called Derek   Crosbie had some great laughs and made some great friends.

Not so local anymore,  runs a massive company StarSleeper ltd these days.

Fxxx the SPFL
12 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

Not so local anymore,  runs a massive company StarSleeper ltd these days.

Saw him at couple of Hearts home games just after those trips haven’t seen him for years. I know that he used to drive coaches throughout Europe for some of the biggest rock groups before he organised our trips sure he used to live around Liberton/Gilmerton glad he’s doing okay 

3 hours ago, Ribble said:

Always had ticket in hand before travelling in the past

Had to collect in Birkikara. First time that’s happened though on the trips I’ve been on 

Heartsmad1874
8 minutes ago, Satsumo said:

Had to collect in Birkikara. First time that’s happened though on the trips I’ve been on 

Seems to happen a lot more these days, suppose it will just come down to who we play against.

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Have done Dublin, Paris, Vienna, Prague and Munich.

Prague was great but 3 days in a bus to get there was hellish as was the three days back. 4p a pint on the other hand was fantastic. Russian soldiers at border weren't friendly but those in Prague were decent enough. Not sure serving caviar and egg to football supporters was a good idea though. Might be a delicacy but after 3 days on a bus, just wanted decent grub.

Paris was good but accomodation fell through and slept rough after game till bus home. Paris mighty cold when your wandering around trying to keep warm. Would have helped if bus had had a toilet as well. Think we made first stop at Penicuik after leaving Georgie.

Munich was memorable but disappointing result as we really should have beaten them. Met Archie McPherson in Munich as well.

All trips done by bus. Think I'd have to go by plane now as too old for long bus journeys and like my comforts.

I thought you were reciting this ,when I first started reading , anyone will do though 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻.    👏🏻

49 minutes ago, Ked said:

Never again in my life will I travel any long distance by coach.

My first and last experience was Paris 84.

All friends at the start .

😄

I still hate you for what you did 🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠.    🤠

21 minutes ago, maggieb said:

I still hate you for what you did 🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠.    🤠

I was only 16 ....I'm sorry

😝

2 hours ago, indianajones said:

Whats the deal with 'vaccine passports' getting into European countries these days?

I was in Rome in March for the egg chasing :

get vaccinated, get the NHS "passport" on your phone and get a FP2 mask.

Job done. 

Edit - plus a EU locator form.

This might be traumatic for some , having to fill it in for every trip (you need to state your accommodation address in the host country) 

I think Italy are more strict than most* so doing the above should be enough to avoid any problems else where (assuming of course, there's no more lockdowns etc).

In March they were checking & enforcing this on trains and restauarants. 

Edited by NANOJAMBO

Peakybunnet
20 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I was in Rome in March for the egg chasing :

get vaccinated, get the NHS "passport" on your phone and get a FP2 mask.

Job done. 

Edit - plus a EU locator form.

This might be traumatic for some , having to fill it in for every trip (you need to state your accommodation address in the host country) 

I think Italy are more strict than most* so doing the above should be enough to avoid any problems else where (assuming of course, there's no more lockdowns etc).

In March they were checking & enforcing this on trains and restauarants. 

I was there as well. My Covid Passport got checked 3 times getting into the stadium. 

My last European Hearts trip was Basel. It was mega expensive so we jumped on the train to Germany about ten minutes away and beer was half the price. 🍺

1 hour ago, Peakybunnet said:

I was there as well. My Covid Passport got checked 3 times getting into the stadium. 

My last European Hearts trip was Basel. It was mega expensive so we jumped on the train to Germany about ten minutes away and beer was half the price. 🍺

Rome - had to produce ID after getting into the stadium and they checked against my ticket, never had this hassle before. But soon forgotten when you're havinga  cold beer and no aggro in the stadium  , such a change from domestic games and what makes Euro trips something to look forward to. 

Basel - I got a dirt cheap Ryanair flight to somewhere in S Germany and then coach to Basel.

With a bit of imagination , you can save a lot of money. 

4 hours ago, indianajones said:

Whats the deal with 'vaccine passports' getting into European countries these days?

Useful person on Twitter for travel updates.. he’s listed countries that have scrapped all entry requirements and rules. Most of Europe will be restriction free by august I think. 

A2D799D3-514B-4CD7-86F0-57C6AA83AA54.png

7 hours ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

All the group matchdays are tightly squeezed in aswell. 

8,15 September

6,13 October

27 October and 3 November.

Presumably other than the September fixture we will know exactly who we are playing and on what dates in plenty time?

PhoenixHearts
5 hours ago, McCrae said:

It’s now taking more than 10 weeks to renew passports…. Anyone who needs to do this, should do it pronto. 

Just renewed mine. Said up to 10 weeks but only took 3.

10 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Rome - had to produce ID after getting into the stadium and they checked against my ticket, never had this hassle before. But soon forgotten when you're havinga  cold beer and no aggro in the stadium  , such a change from domestic games and what makes Euro trips something to look forward to. 

Basel - I got a dirt cheap Ryanair flight to somewhere in S Germany and then coach to Basel.

With a bit of imagination , you can save a lot of money. 

Have to wait to see if there is any change in UEFA rules but this season in Italy no alcohol was served in the stands at CL games.

I was at Milan v Porto earlier in the season and it was 0% lager only at the kiosks.

I assume that’s Euro wide but need to check that.

We_are_the_Hearts
4 minutes ago, Boab said:

Have to wait to see if there is any change in UEFA rules but this season in Italy no alcohol was served in the stands at CL games.

I was at Milan v Porto earlier in the season and it was 0% lager only at the kiosks.

I assume that’s Euro wide but need to check that.

It is, was the same when I have been at Champions league games in England

1 minute ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

It is, was the same when I have been at Champions league games in England

👍

Pre-drinking a prerequisite !

10 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Presumably other than the September fixture we will know exactly who we are playing and on what dates in plenty time?

Looks like they announce the fixtures the day after the draw so should know the location of the ties on the 27th August.

portobellojambo1

As I retired last year I'd like to get back in the swing of things and get travelling to European games again. Missed the trip to Malta, the first European game I'd missed in a while as my employer had changed the number of people who could be off at one time, and it was shite sitting at home watching it. Need to check my passport, last renewed pre the game versus Spurs, so it must be due for renewal shortly. And I guess I'll also have to be sensible and check with my doctor. I had a stroke in late January, been back at games for the last few weeks at Tynecastle and around Scotland but for safety I think I need to ask him if he thinks it is safe to travel overseas ( I will explain to him I am going to Parkhead for the post split league game and cannot think of anywhere more dangerous to travel to, hopefully that will help him say yes. If I am going it will be with friends from our SC.  

Edited by portobellojambo1

August Landmesser
18 hours ago, Ribble said:

Looking like it could be Freiburg, Union Berlin (Europa Group) or Koln if they get past the conference playoff 

Koln would be amazing - absolutely cracking city, there'll be plenty casualties after a day on the Kolsch!

13 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

As I retired last year I'd like to get back in the swing of things and get travelling to European games again. Missed the trip to Malta, the first European game I'd missed in a while as my employer had changed the number of people who could be off at one time, and it was shite sitting at home watching it. Need to check my passport, last renewed pre the game versus Spurs, so it must be due for renewal shortly. And I guess I'll also have to be sensible and check with my doctor. I had a stroke in late January, been back at games for the last few weeks at Tynecastle and around Scotland but for safety I think I need to ask him if he thinks it is safe to travel overseas ( I will explain to him I am going to Parkhead for the post split league game and cannot think of anywhere more dangerous to travel to, hopefully that will help him say yes. If I am going it will be with friends from our SC.  

Sorry to hear about your health problems PJ 1.

Hopefully the Doc gives you the all clear👍

A bigger drawback might be your travel insurance. 

I have health problems as well and last time I went abroad got rinsed for insurance. 

Greedy ****ers these insurance firms. 😕

TyphoonJambo
1 minute ago, luckydug said:

I have health problems as well and last time I went abroad got rinsed for insurance. 

You can still get a EHIC card for European travel even post Brexit. Think its called GHIC now. Worked great out here in spain for a mate. Post brain surgery. Quoted ridiculous amount to cover a weekend here. Had a seizure ( first one ever and without any warning from doctors that it was a possibility ) . Presented the card, cross checked with passport. Sorted.

52 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Sorry to hear that. Hope you’re feeling a lot better.

👍

TyphoonJambo

Just heard Hearts coming to Marbella for pre season. Hope thats true.

willie wallace
2 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Hope you are well soon. 

If the doc okays Parkhead you can go anywhere👍

feedtheroman2

We did Malta away a few years back.

A thoroughly enjoyable trip made better by the beautiful surroundings and excellent hospitality. 

Still in touch with a few Birkikara fans today!

Midloth_Iain

Lucky enough to have been to quite a few away days in Europe.

Basel & Bordeaux obviously the most memorable

Slavia Prague (despite the Scotland Abroad 4 day bus tour) & Stuttgart were decent

Majorca - 1000's of JT's in Magaluf was a sight

Sparta Prague - shit game but decent trip

Hoping for Cologne or another German trip. Netherlands would be nice. Austria or Slovenia too please ....

I'm really lloking forward to a couple of Euro jaunts so closer to home would be better; anything within a 2 hour flight will be great.

No preference but anything from Scandanavia, perhaps Germany, Netherlands, Spain or Portugal will suffice.

Nightmare scenario for me will be Man Utd, which may happen based on their season. Not really an away trip when you live 20 miles away from OT.

4 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

The Spurs game was more than 10 years ago, so will be out of date now, best get it renewed sharpish so you are all set if/when the Doc gives you the thumbs up.

22 hours ago, Seaside Dave said:

Anyone else be flying from Belfast on the European tour? 

I could possibly be  although I'm southern Ireland but nay be going solo so Belfast could be an option 

portobellojambo1
5 hours ago, luckydug said:

I suspect you may be right in terms of potential insurance costs

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
4 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

Just heard Hearts coming to Marbella for pre season. Hope thats true.

According to the Scotsman, they might arrange games locally, but it will depend on local teams availability. 

The Scotsman article also says that there might be two friendly games in England in July.   Rotherham was fun but I'm hoping for Sheffield, please, this time.  I'd like to be able to walk to the ground.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-have-spanish-plans-to-prepare-for-european-campaign-and-new-season-3669134

Edit -  I've never been to Spain, but I've just realised how close Marbella is to Estapona, where my cousin has a flat.  I feel a travel first coming on!

Edited by Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

davemclaren
6 hours ago, luckydug said:

The older you get the more conditions you accumulate and the more your travel insurance costs. Sound actuarial principles. 😄

joondalupjambo

I take it with all this chat that the posters on this thread are not going to be affected by the cost of living increases?😃😃😃😃

Partners might have a thing or two to say when it comes to dipping into the joint bank account😃😃😃😃

Luckily I have never had one of those in my life and anyway if my wife even sniffs a chance of me being out her sight for a few days she will be booking the trips for me😃😃😃

Edited by joondalupjambo

Seaside Dave
5 hours ago, Weonly151 said:

I could possibly be  although I'm southern Ireland but nay be going solo so Belfast could be an option 

Aye mate Mon up

hmfc_liam06

Having done Liverpool and Tottenham, I'm really looking forward to actually getting on a plane for a European trip this season.

35 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Having done Liverpool and Tottenham, I'm really looking forward to actually getting on a plane for a European trip this season.

Not a proper european trip unless it involves multiple planes, buses, train/tram and a taxi, not forgetting stopping in at least one country/city that isn't where you are going

Athens away? fly to crete for a weeks 18-30's then go straight from a foam party to the airport at 5am for the flight to athens on the morning of the game

Prague? Go via a night in belfast getting zero sleep because you are an idiot and booked the biggest party hostel in the city to try and get you head down for a few hours

hmfc_liam06
17 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Not a proper european trip unless it involves multiple planes, buses, train/tram and a taxi, not forgetting stopping in at least one country/city that isn't where you are going

Athens away? fly to crete for a weeks 18-30's then go straight from a foam party to the airport at 5am for the flight to athens on the morning of the game

Prague? Go via a night in belfast getting zero sleep because you are an idiot and booked the biggest party hostel in the city to try and get you head down for a few hours

100%, I've never properly counted those two as "European trips".

On 25/04/2022 at 15:17, CloustonHMFC said:

Train travel in Europe is cheap as ****, compared to the UK. Cheap flight with Ryan Air and then train to wherever the destination. You might end up with 4 different trains, changing at stations in the middle of nowhere but it all adds to the magic 😂

I would disagree. I live in Amsterdam and train travel in the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, France etc is very expensive. 

27 minutes ago, Mr Kipling said:

I would disagree. I live in Amsterdam and train travel in the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, France etc is very expensive. 

Compare and contrast with train travel in the UK, see below from last week

image.png

On 25/04/2022 at 17:29, Seaside Dave said:

Anyone else be flying from Belfast on the European tour? 

If I can get tickets to the matches, I will be! :thumbsup: 

That, or get the bus/train down to Dublin for more options.  Didn't realise how many places you can fly to from there!

broxburnjambo

Before I begin , this is at the thought process at the minute and there a number of what if's and but's to iron out, but as a personal travel consultant I am looking at potentially chartering an aircraft for our European adventure's. I have a supplier that can do this but its to early to put things together until we know our opponents and dates of games. 

Of course this would need to be viable to the business, however I am more than happy to look into it further and do all the commercials on costings Etc.  

I will keep you posted.

2 hours ago, RobboM said:

Compare and contrast with train travel in the UK, see below from last week

image.png

Not really sure what you are saying other than train travel is expensive in the UK, which everyone knows. Train travel is also expensive in the EU - that's all I'm saying.