2021 - 2022 Player of the Year.

copa-mundial

copa-mundial

With 5 league games left of league season, and the big showdown on the 21st of May. 

We now approach the silverware time of the year. 

Two very obvious candidates in my eyes. 

1 - Craig Gordon.

At the rife young age of 39. He has arguably had the season of his career in terms of the incredible saves he's made. Not just from one shot, but multiples. Namely Motherwell away, Livingston away and Ross County away. 

The points Craig has won us this term have been invaluable. 

A fantastic experienced, leader and captain of this team. 

Notwithstanding, a LEGEND!

2 - Stephen Kingsley. 

Without doubt our most consistent outfield player. 

He has been colossal whether that be at the centre of a back 3, or playing left back in a 4. 

Good tackler, wins headers, very comfortable taking the ball out of defence, also very good in an attacking sense. 

His free kicks are a deadly weapon, as St.Mirren and Hibs found out. 

Am I also correct in saying he's our second top goal scorer this season. 

What a player. Overjoyed he committed to another 3 years here. 

I also have to give special mentions to.

Beni Beningeme - Up until his injuries. He is definitely one of the first names on the team sheet. 

Covers so much ground. Wins every tackle, he even added two tackled goals to his game. The thing for me with Beni is. This kid can play. He's got brilliant feet. 

Again. Another. I'll be delighted to see again on return from injury. 

Craig Halkett - Another that has had a brilliant season. Giving where he has come from in his past few seasons. He has kicked all those deamons away. Really pushed on this season. 

The standout for me with Halkett is, when we lost him due to injury. We went on a bad run. Since his return. We haven't lost. That says everything about how important he is, and how important he will be needed in the cup final. 

Definitely the most improved player. 

Cammy Devlin - Someone who understood the club right away. From his debut in the second half at Ross County away. We seen exactly what he's all about, and the player we have all become to love. 

His tenacity, his energy, his know of where to be to break play up, the non stop running. The getting fans onside, plus what we loved in the semi final, winding the hell out of the opposition. He excells at this in spades. 

It's been a long time since we had a player like that. (Naisy aside.)

Barrie McKay - Is it strange to say he could well be the signing of the season, without getting player of the season? 

Barrie has found his love for football again playing here. You can see he thrives on the pitch. 

He's one that gets you on the edge of your seat, then off it very quickly. 

Our leading assist maker, some of which have been sublime. The after burners versus St.Johnstone, then weight of pass, the pass away at Livingston, the little drag back versus Hibs, all show the class he has in terms of ability. Also the  wonder goal......... eventually. 

Another I'm delighted at signing a new contract. Great business. 

Given we have finished 3rd, in the cup final. The team as a whole have all played their part. 

You can see this team are united. All for each other. 

It's been a wonderful achievement to have cemented 3rd before the split, also making a national cup final on our return from a demoted championship season. 

Lastly - Robbie Neilson. Thank you. 

You have taken more than a fair share of boo boys and pelters. 

Your record for us speaks for itself. 

A new deal should 100% be on the table. 

Please go that one step further and take us to our 9th Scottish Cup success. 

20 minutes ago, copa-mundial said:

With 5 league games left of league season, and the big showdown on the 21st of May. 

1 - Craig Gordon.

At the rife young age of 39. He has arguably had the season of his career in terms of the incredible saves he's made. Not just from one shot, but multiples. Namely Motherwell away, Livingston away and Ross County away. 

2 - Stephen Kingsley. 

He has been colossal whether that be at the centre of a back 3, or playing left back in a 4. 

Good tackler, wins headers, very comfortable taking the ball out of defence, also very good in an attacking sense. 

Beni Beningeme - Up until his injuries. He is definitely one of the first names on the team sheet. 

Covers so much ground. Wins every tackle, he even added two tackled goals to his game. The thing for me with Beni is. This kid can play. He's got brilliant feet. 

Craig Halkett - Another that has had a brilliant season. Giving where he has come from in his past few seasons. He has kicked all those deamons away. Really pushed on this season. 

The standout for me with Halkett is, when we lost him due to injury. We went on a bad run. Since his return. We haven't lost. That says everything about how important he is, and how important he will be needed in the cup final. 

Cammy Devlin - Someone who understood the club right away. From his debut in the second half at Ross County away. We seen exactly what he's all about, and the player we have all become to love. 

His tenacity, his energy, his know of where to be to break play up, the non stop running. The getting fans onside, plus what we loved in the semi final, winding the hell out of the opposition. He excells at this in spades. 

Barrie McKay - Is it strange to say he could well be the signing of the season, without getting player of the season? 

Barrie has found his love for football again playing here. You can see he thrives on the pitch. 

Our leading assist maker, some of which have been sublime. The after burners versus St.Johnstone, then weight of pass, the pass away at Livingston, the little drag back versus Hibs, all show the class he has in terms of ability. Also the  wonder goal......... eventually. 

Given we have finished 3rd, in the cup final. The team as a whole have all played their part. 

It's been a wonderful achievement to have cemented 3rd before the split, also making a national cup final on our return from a demoted championship season. 

Agree with all of this

Craig Gordon - he should be ours and SPFLs player of the year, without a shadow of a doubt. No-one has come even remotely close to him this season.

49 minutes ago, copa-mundial said:

1 - Craig Gordon.

2 - Stephen Kingsley. 

Good summary. For me it is - 

1. Gordon

2. Kingsley

3. Halkett. 

A_A wehatethehibs

I’d give it to Barrie McKay to be honest. He has been a revelation IMO.

Football is all about players like him in my opinion. They are few and far between. Just so so good to watch. Keeps you guessing and on the edge of your seat. 

Even on a bad day, he didn’t have a great game at Hampden, check out the weight of his pass for Simms goal. Perfection. He just springs into life at those key moments, slick possession predator. Could be a player we remember for many many years if he can reach his potential with the right team mates alongside him namely a better finisher than Boyce. 

He has been massive influence on our season arguably more so than Gordon. In terms of the change in the quality of our attacking football and make no mistake we play the best attacking football in the league scoring some fantastic goals. 

I tend to favour an outfield player but, can see the case for CG. To do what he’s doing at age 39, is just so impressive 

AlphonseCapone

1. Gordon - remove the big man and replace him with any other realistic option and we're still battling for 3rd right now. 

2. McKay - incredible season, most creative outfield player and we wouldn't be where we are without him. Shade behind Gordon because I think CG also brings an entire presence that calms the whole team and brings out the best in our defenders. 

3. Kingsley - so consistent, dependenable at the back. Fantastic on the ball and crucially can pop up with goals as we've seen very recently. 

4. Halkett - was looking a bit ropey for him at Hearts and one point. Now he's an absolute colossus. Hope to see him really step into his own as the main man in the centre of defence next year. 

5. Devlin - some might question Devlin before Beni and I won't argue too hard. I certainly won't disagree Beni is technically superior. But Devlin brings so much energy and at times a calmness to our play. I'm shading him over Beni because I think Beni has struggled a tad since his first injury and Devlin I think is the type of player that lifts other players games. 

Edited by AlphonseCapone

Gordon should be player of the year for the league I reckon. Kingsley, Halkett and McKay have also been outstanding. I’d say outside options would be Souttar and Boyce, who have also been very good.

Imo it can only be Craig Gordon.  Through his incredible performances with Scotland he also has an international reputation.

Highly respected throughout the game.

The Bannon Flick

Gordon has been the best player in Scotland by a country mile so it has to be him.

Our next best / important performer is Halkett.

Just look at our form when he was injured. 

Boyces beard

1. Gordon - Just oozes class, the best GK i have ever seen play for Hearts. A True Hearts Legend.  

2. Kingsley - That left foot is like a magic wand, he should be included in any future Scotland squads due to his consistency and his accuracy from set pieces . He has also been playing a position that is relatively new to him and he looks like he has been playing there all his career, a true sign of a quality player.

3. McKay - The lad has eyes in the back of his head and will always try to play the killer pass to hurt opposition defences. This is why he has so many assists this season and is another who should be knocking on the national team door on current form. When given a free role he must be a nightmare to play against.

4. Halkett - A proper aggressive centre half who has become such an important player at the centre of our defence, its no coincidence that he was out injured for a few games when we had our little sticky patch mid season. He is also a leader who hates to lose and credit has to go to the man himself, Robbie and the coaching staff for his huge improvement.

5. The most important thing off all is that we have just tied all of the above players to long term contracts. What a great time to be a Jambo eh!

FTH

58 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

1. Gordon - remove the big man and replace him with any other realistic option and we're still battling for 3rd right now

That is the key point. He has contributed more points than any other player and produces moments that are of a level higher than anyone else (bar the odd Kingsley free kick).

Gordon really should scoop the awards across the board but guaranteed it’ll  be a joint winner of Tavernier/Carter-Vickers or some shit.

Also I’d say It should be between Robbie and Dick Campbell for manager of the year. But that’s bound to go to the football visionary that is Big Ange. Working his wonders on a shoestring budget of only £20+m. 

This might be just maroon tinted specs on my part but I genuinely think we should have 4 players in the premiership team of the year.

Gordon in net

Halkett and probably Carter-Vickers at centre half

Kingsley left back with Tavernier likely to be right back

McKay on one wing and Charles-Cook on the other

Assuming old firm strikers up top

I can’t even think of any standout centre mids who’ve played the full season in the league so maybe ours would be in with a shout there too

2 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

1. Gordon - remove the big man and replace him with any other realistic option and we're still battling for 3rd right now. 

2. McKay - incredible season, most creative outfield player and we wouldn't be where we are without him. Shade behind Gordon because I think CG also brings an entire presence that calms the whole team and brings out the best in our defenders. 

3. Kingsley - so consistent, dependenable at the back. Fantastic on the ball and crucially can pop up with goals as we've seen very recently. 

4. Halkett - was looking a bit ropey for him at Hearts and one point. Now he's an absolute colossus. Hope to see him really step into his own as the main man in the centre of defence next year. 

5. Devlin - some might question Devlin before Beni and I won't argue too hard. I certainly won't disagree Beni is technically superior. But Devlin brings so much energy and at times a calmness to our play. I'm shading him over Beni because I think Beni has struggled a tad since his first injury and Devlin I think is the type of player that lifts other players games. 

Nailed it

Anyone worked out how many points Craig Gordon has saved us with great saves? Into double figures I’d have thought.

Lots of great players listed, but only one winner.

Edited by naeclue

1 hour ago, BigAlim said:

This might be just maroon tinted specs on my part but I genuinely think we should have 4 players in the premiership team of the year.

Gordon in net

I can’t even think of any standout centre mids who’ve played the full season in the league so maybe ours would be in with a shout there too

Calum McGregor. For me the only possible rival to Gordon for POTY

Craig Gordon should be scotlands player of the year as well as ours. When it comes to our awards the Beni, devlin, Kingsley & McKay should be recognised. I have to admit that I wanted Robbie gone last season but he certainly has done us proud this season so he deserves a pat on the back also. I would however give out a very special award to Ron Gordon on recognition of all the “good work” he’s doing along at Fester Road. 

i wish jj was my dad

Craig by a country mile for club and country. 

Kingsley, shades Halkett for second place. Barrie and Beni lead the rest. 

So many candidates who deserve huge credit for the season they've had, and their contribution to the team. But nobody, has quite influenced us and single handedly won us games quite like Craig Gordon. He should be given the keys to Gorgie.

Hectormasson
6 hours ago, 19052012 said:

Craig Gordon - he should be ours and SPFLs player of the year, without a shadow of a doubt. No-one has come even remotely close to him this season.

Ditto,,,,🙌👏👏👏👏👏👏

Watt-Zeefuik

Some outstanding players on our squad, many having outstanding seasons deserving of recognition.

That said, the list for consideration goes 1. Craig Gordon, 2 WTF is wrong with you, the answer is Craig Gordon

For me it's between Gordon and Kingsley.

There is no doubting Gordon is in the top 3 keepers in Europe just now, but I feel Kingsley just shades it. He started the season at a high level and the bar just keeps getting raised every time he plays.

Mckay not far behind though, it amazes me the amount of defence splitting passes he plays whilst looking in a completely different direction.

If there is a most improved player category, it has to be halkett. The way he controls the defence. When high balls come into the box,  it is like a magnet to his head.

An award for fans favourite player? For me it is Devlin. As someone else said above, his never say die attitude seems to lift the team. His attitude and desire reminds me of Ian Black, but with a lot more ability.

Also a special shout to Halliday. Like devlin, he never gives up, fights and plays for the badge.

What a turn around compared to the last few seasons, and credit for this must go to Bob. I'll admit, St the start of the season I wanted him gone, along with plenty of others on here. However, I am more than happy to be proven wrong by our boss.

Edited by superjack
The usual, spelling.

I always think it is tricky comparing keepers with outfield players in these debates.

For me, McKay shades it as our main creative spark and the source of a good percentage of our goals. I think it would be another boost to his confidence to get this award.

Gordon would also be a worthy winner but will probably get either the Football Writers or players' player of the year award which includes his performances for Scotland so good to share the awards around.

It's hard to split Halkett and Kingsley for third. Halkett has been a rock defensively but Kingsley has also looked assured in the back 3 and probably deserves third spot for all his free kicks.

Favourite player to watch after McKay is Devlin for his tenacity, enthusiasm and joy in winding up the opposition.

Diadora Van Basten

Craig Gordon the amount of points he has won us is the reason we are comfortable in third.

Some other great performances this season Kingsley, Halkett, MacKay and Boyce.

Simms also is getting better every game.

Wee mention to Soutar who has been excellent despite the Rangers distraction and is now injured.

SomethingAboutObua

I'd like to hope Craig Gordon will be Premiership player of the year and Dick Campbell for SPFL Manager of the year, I do wonder if Neilson could even get Prem Manager of the year.

But no doubt Ange Postecoglu's "massive rebuilding task" of the team that lost 1 of the last 10 league titles, where he started with a squad full of internationals and managed to salvage them by bringing in 3 more internationals, will deservedly earn his place as spfl Manager of the year 

Gordon, Close thread.

Honestly, with respect to others who have done well this season. It's not even close.

Gordon has been nothing short of out****ingstanding.

15 hours ago, BigAlim said:

Gordon in net

While I agree with you the rest of scottish football won't and it'll be close to the following for team of the year because scottish football is a bigoted cesspit

Joe Hart (4 more clean sheets than gordon will be given as the reason)

Tavernier (will also get POTY for goals from RB)

Carter Vickers

Goldson

Kingsley (maybe if they feel generous to a non-OF club otherwise it'll go to Bassey or Greg Taylor)

Charles Cook (token small club player)

Lundstrum/Jack

Mcgregor

Maeda

Morelos

Giakoumakis

Gordon is deffo POTY, he's absolutely incredible. As good as Hart is (he is a good goalie), if he gets TOTY ahead of him it's criminal.

Behind that I can't pick a 2nd or 3rd because either McKay, Kingsley or Halkett would miss out which doesn't seem right.

Hard word this having a good team business

POTY - Craig Gordon

Newcomer of the year - Cameron Devlin

Most impressive player - Barrie McKay

I need awards for: Halkett, Kingsley, Boyce, Simms.

Maybe Simms wins the Ricardo Fuller Award for best loan signing.