Europa league/conference 22/23 - Zurich v Hearts

mickycameron98

Just now, JAYEL said:

Would it be wrong to cheer them on. 🤪

Hoping for any favourable draw. 🤞

I’m actually very optimistic we’ll get a winnable draw. Most of the really big clubs in that list will actually progress in the CL qualifying.. We’re going to get someone that one of those bigger clubs has knocked out of the CL Q3. Always the chance of one or two of them Hibsing of course but for the most part, the real big boys in that list won’t be in the EL play off 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Heartsmad1874

• JimmyCant

• hughesie27

davemclaren
50 minutes ago, jonesy said:

It's still an absolute nonsense that those clubs are playing European football. Since when were Kazakhstan or Azerbaijan European countries?

Might as well just combine the UEFA stuff with Asia and make a Eurasian club competition with the top Japanese, Korean and Middle Eastern clubs.

I assume they inherited Uefa membership from the Soviet Union. 

14 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I’m actually very optimistic we’ll get a winnable draw. Most of the really big clubs in that list will actually progress in the CL qualifying.. We’re going to get someone that one of those bigger clubs has knocked out of the CL Q3. Always the chance of one or two of them Hibsing of course but for the most part, the real big boys in that list won’t be in the EL play off 

So we are probably looking at teams between Tobal Kustanai and Shamrock Rovers on that list as our opponents  unless as you say someone makes a mess of it

Edited by JAYEL

52 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I assume they inherited Uefa membership from the Soviet Union. 

They actually didn't, Azerbaijan joined UEFA in 1994, and Kazakhstan in 2002.  The latter used to play in the Asian tournaments, but as they are partially on the European continent, they were eligible to apply. 

Israel is really the only real outlier, who are part of UEFA for political reasons (i.e. shit loads of countries boycotted playing against them and they were voted out.  They even had a stint in the Oceania set up for a while, which is even further away! 

"Some UEFA members are transcontinental states (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Russia and Turkey) and others are considered part of Europe both culturally and politically (Cyprus). Countries which had been members of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) were also admitted to the European football association, such as Israel (because it had been banned from the AFC group in 1974) and Kazakhstan."

1 hour ago, JAYEL said:

So we are probably looking at teams between Tobal Kustanai and Shamrock Rovers on that list as our opponents  unless as you say someone makes a mess of it

I think a good guide would be to divide the list into 3 parts. Exclude the top section because they are progressing in the CL. Exclude the bottom part because they aren’t progressing to the EL play off. The middle part IN GENERAL is where our play off opponent will come from.

This assumes that the list is in some kind of ability/co-efficient order.

Plus, of course it’s football and there will be surprise results 

Edited by JimmyCant

For what it's worth, in 2006 Luch-Energiya Vladivostok finished only 8 points off European qualification.

That could have been some away trip for someone.

That thing you do
13 hours ago, Swelljambo said:

As it stands I make it:

Partizan

Slovacko

Dynamo

Fenerbahce

Midtjylland

AEK Larnaca

Viktoria

Dinamo Zagreb

FC Zurich

Olympiacos

Maccabi Haifa

Bodo

Malmo

Ludogorets

CFR Cluj

Qarabag

Tobol Kustanai

Ferencvaros

Shaktior Saligorsk

Lech Poznan

Maribor

Slovan Bratislava

Zalgiris Vlinius

F91 Dudelange

Zrinjski Mostar

Shamrock Rovers

Shkupi

Pyunik

RFS Riga

KF Tirana

Linfield

Dinamo Batumi

HJK Helsinki

Sheriff

Hibernians

KI Klasvik

Balkani

Lincoln Red Imps

Sutjeska

The New Saints

Vikingur Reykjavik

The next round of matches that matter take place on the 5th/6th of July and will eliminate 15 teams below Viktoria into the conference league qualifiers

Out of that, Lincoln Red Imps isnt a bad draw. Gibraltar is a pretty good trip Id imagine.

4 minutes ago, Queensland Jambo said:

Are we seeded?

There's no seeding as such, but having entered at the final qualifying round, we'll get a team that qualifies from the 3rd qualifying round.  So we'll avoid other teams who enter in the final qualifying round.

Am I right in thinking we will be at home for second leg of play off on 25th August?    Just trying to sort out holidays etc.  

We_are_the_Hearts
5 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Am I right in thinking we will be at home for second leg of play off on 25th August?    Just trying to sort out holidays etc.  

I asked this and apparently won’t know until the draw on 1st August

hmfc_liam06
9 hours ago, jonesy said:

It's still an absolute nonsense that those clubs are playing European football. Since when were Kazakhstan or Azerbaijan European countries?

Might as well just combine the UEFA stuff with Asia and make a Eurasian club competition with the top Japanese, Korean and Middle Eastern clubs.

Since 1992 & 1991 respectively.

I mean Azerbijan share a border with Armenia and Georgia, so it's hardly like they're at the other end of Asia.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

davemclaren
8 hours ago, tian447 said:

They actually didn't, Azerbaijan joined UEFA in 1994, and Kazakhstan in 2002.  The latter used to play in the Asian tournaments, but as they are partially on the European continent, they were eligible to apply. 

Israel is really the only real outlier, who are part of UEFA for political reasons (i.e. shit loads of countries boycotted playing against them and they were voted out.  They even had a stint in the Oceania set up for a while, which is even further away! 

Cheers. Interesting. 

9 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Plenty of places to potentially get your head kicked in unfortunately so hoping to avoid those hot spots

Belfast probably the most dangerous city in that list tbh. 

Heartsmad1874
35 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Not sure about that. Don't know if we'll have to wait until Friday 12th (Day after 3rd round is finished) or if UEFA will plan for both eventualities when the draws made.

Dick Dastardly
On 27/06/2022 at 16:43, Leisham38 said:

Bucket Hats galore for Sociedad away 🥳

Did someone mention bucket hats? 

0_JS270430937.jpg

40 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Ok thanks.  

5 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Not sure about that. Don't know if we'll have to wait until Friday 12th (Day after 3rd round is finished) or if UEFA will plan for both eventualities when the draws made.

Also worth reminding people to be aware that we could get switched around. UEFA don’t like 2 European ties in the same city on the same night  

Some great looking trips there for the Europa League Playoff. As mentioned above, that list of potential opponents will start to whittle down over coming weeks as the Champions League Qualifiers start next Tuesday.

IF(!) we were not to progress to Europa League group stages and drop directly into the Conference League group stage there is an outside chance of us being in Pot 3 rather than Pot 4 - which would make a big difference to the difficulty of the group and prospects for picking up wins/prize money/coefficient points for future European campaigns. Based on last year's groups and our current coefficient we would be in Pot 3 but teams have picked up and so it's probably now slightly more likely we would end up in Pot 4 unless results go our way.

The Conference League qualifiers start a week today and already there are a few teams involved with higher coefficients than ours (7.380) and so who we want to LOSE in the scenario that we do drop down. Those we want to LOSE are in bold below:

Alashkert (ARM) (8.000) vs Hamrun Spartans (MAL)

KuPS (FIN) (7.500) vs Dila Gori (GEO)

Olimpija Lubljana (SVK) (7.750) vs Differdange 03 (LUX)

Fola Esch (LUX) (7.500) vs Tre Fiori (SAN)

Shkendija (MAC) (9.000) vs Ararat Yerevan (ARM)

Flora Tallinn (EST) (9.750) vs SJK (FIN)

Derry City (IRE) vs Riga FC (LAT) (8.000)

From that list above there are only a couple of realistic upsets.

It's much harder to work out just now who we would want to win/lose from Champions League Qualifiers. Do we want those with higher coefficents to win so that they stay in Champions League or Europa League or lose and end up dropping out of Europe altogether... hard to say. That will be clearer as that qualifying process goes on.

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

The first time in JKB history I’ve been ITK on a story and it’s about the fecking hat on a left back’s napped.

😂😂😂😂

Heartsmad1874
6 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Also worth reminding people to be aware that we could get switched around. UEFA don’t like 2 European ties in the same city on the same night  

I do hope we are away in the second leg. Purely for a longer gap to book flights etc.

Allowayjambo1874

Unfortunately whilst our draw is on the 1st August our opponents won’t play their second leg until the 11th and then we play the winners on the 18th. So worst case we won’t know our opponents until late on the 11th then be away 7 days later. Could be an expensive old trip booking flights for one week away. 

Heartsmad1874
18 minutes ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

Unfortunately whilst our draw is on the 1st August our opponents won’t play their second leg until the 11th and then we play the winners on the 18th. So worst case we won’t know our opponents until late on the 11th then be away 7 days later. Could be an expensive old trip booking flights for one week away. 

Hopefully UEFA release contingencies for both eventualities when the draws made. Unfair for anyone to only have 6 days notice to book a trip abroad.

19 hours ago, tian447 said:

Off topic but I think Kazakhstan initially changed membership because they wanted more tastier international ties or something.

Midloth_Iain

Yes please  ......

Midtjylland

AEK Larnaca

Viktoria

FC Zurich

Slovan Bratislava

F91 Dudelange

RFS Riga

HJK Helsinki

Lincoln Red Imps

Edited by Midloth_Iain

1 hour ago, ModJambo said:

Off topic but I think Kazakhstan initially changed membership because they wanted more tastier international ties or something.

There is probably more of a financial gain by playing in UEFA competitions instead of AFC ones. 

I wonder why they thought about switching in the first place though, they are not a terrible team (although not very good), but they must have stood a better chance of qualifying for World Cups if they had stayed in qualifying groups containing the likes of Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Nepal, and Sri Lanka, than they do currently, which is ****ing no chance :lol:

Edited by tian447

Trying to understand the uefa site, but if we qualify for the euopa leage, we might have a trip to arsenal or man u. Is that correct? Possibly also west ham?

Edited by Jonkel Hoon

2 minutes ago, tian447 said:

There is probably more of a financial gain by playing in UEFA competitions instead of AFC ones. 

I wonder why they thought about switching in the first place though, they are not a terrible team (although not very good), but they must have stood a better chance of qualifying for World Cups if they had stayed in qualifying groups containing the likes of Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Nepal, and Sri Lanka, than they do currently, which is ****ing no chance :lol:

I think when they initially joined they were absolute mince.

I think over the past decade more of their clubs have done well in Europe and their international team is somewhat a lot better.

Given the draw in the UCL. I think there will be at least one of not two very winnable potential ties. But as the list above shows there are also some tricky possibilities.

It will become clearer in the next few weeks.

If we did get Europa we'd be very unlucky not to get one "big team" in our group.

By that I mean we might get a Braga as Top Seed or D Kyvi

Jambo in Yorkshire
1 hour ago, Jonkel Hoon said:

Trying to understand the uefa site, but if we qualify for the euopa leage, we might have a trip to arsenal or man u. Is that correct? Possibly also west ham?

Roma, Lazio, Man U and Arsenal are guaranteed to be in pot 1 of the EL group stage

Ricardo Quaresma
38 minutes ago, Jambo in Yorkshire said:

Roma, Lazio, Man U and Arsenal are guaranteed to be in pot 1 of the EL group stage

Last I heard Man U are in conference, no?

Jambo in Yorkshire
5 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Last I heard Man U are in conference, no?

No, West Ham are in the ECL group stage

Ricardo Quaresma
1 minute ago, Jambo in Yorkshire said:

Ok; someone on here told us all Man U couldn’t make even Europa, so much for that

🧐

Heartsmad1874
17 hours ago, Jambo in Yorkshire said:

West Ham are in play offs actually. No team gets direct access to ECL groups without playing a game.

Naisys Tackle
17 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Ok; someone on here told us all Man U couldn’t make even Europa, so much for that

🧐

They made it last day of the season even though pumped. 

augusthearts
On 29/06/2022 at 12:10, Dayman said:

You legend. Lots of teams we should beat fairly easily. Let’s hope more than a few of them stay in it…

Everyone from Slovan downwards would leave us as big favourites I’d say.

I was at the Slovan stadium an hour or so ago, I’d not mind an away day here! 

Yeah it's a nice stadium if it's the same place as back in the 90s. Seen a few matches there. Of the lower down teams Sheriff might be tricky. Had some decent results in Europe.

1 hour ago, augusthearts said:

Yeah it's a nice stadium if it's the same place as back in the 90s. Seen a few matches there. Of the lower down teams Sheriff might be tricky. Had some decent results in Europe.

It's actually a brand new stadium about 500m from the old one. It's not an old school one anymore.

37879.jpg 

Jambo in Yorkshire
4 hours ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

West Ham are in play offs actually. No team gets direct access to ECL groups without playing a game.

Yes, seeded in play offs. I missed that.

augusthearts
On 01/07/2022 at 20:50, Dayman said:

It's actually a brand new stadium about 500m from the old one. It's not an old school one anymore.

37879.jpg 

Pretty different then. Looks good.

The Hogfather

Stolen this from Twitter, someone's put together a list of possible routes based on possible opponents.

Screenshot 2022-07-05 at 13.55.22.png

Heartsmad1874

Few UCL Qualifiers on tonight,

Pyunik 0-0 CFR Cluj

Malmo 3-2 Vikingur

Ludogorets 2-0 Sutjeska Niksic

Ballkani 1-1 Zalgiris

Lech Poznan 1-0 Qarabag

TNS 1-0 Linfield

L Shamrock R 3-0 Hibernians

L Shkupi 3-0 Lincoln Red Imps

Bottom two are latest scores.

Edited by Heartsmad1874

56 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Few UCL Qualifiers on tonight,

Pyunik 0-0 CFR Cluj

Malmo 3-2 Vikingur

Ludogorets 2-0 Sutjeska Niksic

Ballkani 1-1 Zalgiris

Lech Poznan 1-0 Qarabag

TNS 1-0 Linfield

L Shamrock R 3-0 Hibernians

L Shkupi 3-0 Lincoln Red Imps

Bottom two are latest scores.

Hibernians Hibsed it. Red Imps got a red puss and Niksic as a parrot. Seems we can rule out any of those 3 being our play off opponent 

Uncle Buck
11 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Hibernians Hibsed it. Red Imps got a red puss and Niksic as a parrot. Seems we can rule out any of those 3 being our play off opponent 

Are we not more likely to meet them now?

10 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Are we not more likely to meet them now?

No, we meet one of the losers of the qualifying round of the CL. If they lose in this round we can’t get them

Edited by JimmyCant

Uncle Buck
8 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

No, we meet one of the losers of the qualifying round of the CL. If they lose in this round we can’t get them

Is this not a qualifying round?

2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Is this not a qualifying round?

Sorry I meant the next qualifying round

Uncle Buck
29 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Sorry I meant the next qualifying round

I see, I see. Could have Googled it but I couldn’t be bothered.

7 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I see, I see. Could have Googled it but I couldn’t be bothered.

Cool. So briefly they are playing QR2 this week and next. The winners go to QR3. Some bigger clubs are automatically in QR3. The 10 winners in QR3 go to the next stage of the CL. The 10 losers go to the EL play off. it is highly likely that we’ll draw one if those QR3 losers in our play off, although there another 2 clubs who qualify for that play off, into the same list we’ll get drawn against through a slightly different route. So the bottom line is there will be 12 possible clubs we could get drawn against by the time these qualifiers are sorted out in the next few weeks

Edited by JimmyCant

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Europa league/conference 22/23 - Zurich v Hearts