Europa league/conference 22/23 - Zurich v Hearts

mickycameron98

The "demands" of playing midweek games regularly is such a red herring. 

Surely it makes you even fitter. Seemed that way on Saturday. 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Heartsmad1874

• JimmyCant

• hughesie27

Watt-Zeefuik
23 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

The "demands" of playing midweek games regularly is such a red herring. 

Surely it makes you even fitter. Seemed that way on Saturday. 

I think it means you rotate your squad more during the season, and because of that you end the season with a fuller compliment of players who are fully game fit and mentally sharp.

That only works if you have the players to rotate though.

We will need a bigger squad but if we continue with our signing targets, it could end up working in our favor as, after we're out of Europe, we have fitter cover for injuries.

Honestly don’t mind which competition we end up in the groups of just look at the final tonight it is not as though it is a Mickey Mouse competition 

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Honestly don’t mind which competition we end up in the groups of just look at the final tonight it is not as though it is a Mickey Mouse competition 

The competition is held in far higher regard already after the inaugural season. A brilliant tournament and an excellent opportunity for clubs like

Hearts. 

20 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

The competition is held in far higher regard already after the inaugural season. A brilliant tournament and an excellent opportunity for clubs like

Hearts. 

Yes I totally agree : -)

tartofmidlothian
48 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Hearts. 

Looked and felt like a proper big final tonight. Looking at the clubs involved, if we had a really good season now or in the future, there's no reason a knockout place could be beyond us.

sprinbox98
7 hours ago, escobri said:

Lennon back at Tynie would be quality.

nae - don’t want to see him anywhere near Tynie again. All the past history will get dragged up when we should be looking forward to an important game - it should be about Hearts not Lennon!

Heartsmad1874
8 hours ago, escobri said:

Lennon back at Tynie would be quality.

Hearts have zero chance of drawing Omonia Nicosia.

When are we back in preseason training? I take it we'll have a longer time to prepare before our season starts.

I do like the League cup sections, but it's not really any good for where we want to be, I'd rather get them fit and play against better sides.

Edited by ri Alban

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

When are we back in preseason training? I take it we'll have a longer time to prepare before our season starts.

I do like the League cup sections, but it's not really any good for where we want to be, I'd rather get them fit and play against better sides.

21st June rings a bell

Dates put into diary. Bummer most are Thursday evenings but time to sort something out for work. Exciting though 

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

It's happy days either way. 

The profile of the ecl will rise after you see how much it meant to a club with the stature of roma to win it. 

As I say either way happy days and money coming in from every direction!!! 

On 25/05/2022 at 10:34, Mr Rabbit said:

You’re right we should just ask to be removed from Europe and we can spend the time we would have spent going abroad to think about how we’re shite.

🤣

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
7 hours ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Lennon got himself sent to the stand the other day. His team won the Cypriot Cup though, so there's no way we can meet them in the playoff now.

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/sport/ex-celtic-boss-neil-lennon-24063692

His behaviour that got him sent off in that match is symptomatic of the complete lack of respect shown by players and staff alike in so many games. When fans see this, is it any wonder we get pitch invasions?

HeartsandonlyHearts

Just booked flights home for October. We’ll have two European games on the 6th and 13th. Hoping the home game is a good level opponent. Can’t wait to visit the new Tynecastle.

HHGH

Heartsmad1874
2 hours ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Anyone know if we would be away or home first in the Play off game?

Find out when the draw is made unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...

Cup final blues starting to go.... getting very excited about our European adventure and next season in general.

Heartsmad1874

Draws for Champions League 1st and 2nd round made next week so we'll be able to get a better look at what teams might filter down into the Europa play off round.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Some decent teams in the Conference and some beatable teams also.

I genuinely don’t want to see us utterly hammered in 6 UEL games no matter how glamorous the teams that hammer us are.

Conference for me

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

I think these (and slovacko and partizan) are all the teams we can play.

I may be wrong though. 

69657EC3-B797-4BFD-AFEA-1FAB03D9FC8A.jpeg

26B21FB5-5B08-43A5-AAD9-1A782517C2E2.jpeg

FAAE44C5-6D0F-46AE-B631-6D7AA6B9D342.jpeg

8822CF16-F775-43C6-B523-1E77083B9743.jpeg

EE76AF3B-B1BA-490E-9986-DBB420C4F545.jpeg

Edited by Dayman

55 minutes ago, Dayman said:

I think these (and slovacko and partizan) are all the teams we can play.

I may be wrong though. 

69657EC3-B797-4BFD-AFEA-1FAB03D9FC8A.jpeg

26B21FB5-5B08-43A5-AAD9-1A782517C2E2.jpeg

FAAE44C5-6D0F-46AE-B631-6D7AA6B9D342.jpeg

8822CF16-F775-43C6-B523-1E77083B9743.jpeg

EE76AF3B-B1BA-490E-9986-DBB420C4F545.jpeg

Plenty team I would want before them but I would quite like us to get Glimt and for Neilson to knock them out ……….. this place would be brilliant entertainment 

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Some decent teams in the Conference and some beatable teams also.

I genuinely don’t want to see us utterly hammered in 6 UEL games no matter how glamorous the teams that hammer us are.

Conference for me

I would accept conference if we finish in 3rd place in group and drop down from Europa League.

Other than that, I want us to play as good opponents as we can.

23 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I would accept conference if we finish in 3rd place in group and drop down from Europa League.

Other than that, I want us to play as good opponents as we can.

You’d ACCEPT conference….. ? 

But presumably not if we simply find the EL play off a bit beyond us

When did we become an experienced 2nd tier European team ? It’s miles above where we are.

Conference group stage is our most likely destination. And getting out of the group will be VERY tough. Personally I’ll ACCEPT making a decent fist of the conference, as oposed to the very real possibility of being EL group whipping boys.

Little steps. virtual European virgins. Let’s just get in amongst teams at our own level or slightly above and see how we measure up for starters

Edited by JimmyCant

Malinga the Swinga
8 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

You’d ACCEPT conference….. ? 

But presumably not if we simply find the EL play off a bit beyond us

When did we become an experienced 2nd tier European team ? It’s miles above where we are.

Conference group stage is our most likely destination. And getting out of the group will be VERY tough. Personally I’ll ACCEPT making a decent fist of the conference, as oposed to the very real possibility of being EL group whipping boys.

Little steps. virtual European virgins. Let’s just get in amongst teams at our own level or slightly above and see how we measure up for starters

Accept not the right word. I hope for Europa League but conference league is nice consolation.

We aren't experienced team in Europe, but you need to aim for best and see what happens.

Better than worrying about league cup groups, that's for sure.

12 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Accept not the right word. I hope for Europa League but conference league is nice consolation.

We aren't experienced team in Europe, but you need to aim for best and see what happens.

Better than worrying about league cup groups, that's for sure.

For me it’s about what you can learn in the first of hopefully a few campaigns and how you learn it.

Did we learn anything getting thrashed by Spurs in a game that was dead after about 90 seconds ? That sort of thing could happen 3 or 4 times and it’s soul destroying.

Anyway, I’m sure we’ll be aiming as high as we can and let’s see how it pans out. If we take a scalp or two along the way so much the better.

Hopefully we’ve seen the last LC group stage for a good long while

Edited by JimmyCant

2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

For me it’s about what you can learn and how you learn it.

Did we learn anything getting thrashed by Spurs in a game that was dead after about 90 seconds ? That sort of thing could happen 3 or 4 times and it’s soul destroying.

Anyway, I’m sure we’ll be aiming as high as we can and let’s see how it pans out.

Hopefully we’ve seen the last LC group stage for a good long while

Players absolutely do learn and improve by playing better teams even when they take a sore one like Spurs

Tom Hardy’s Dug
22 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Players absolutely do learn and improve by playing better teams even when they take a sore one like Spurs

We’ll be playing loads of better teams in the conference also but also have a decent chance of getting a couple of wins - losing in Europe every game won’t really be much of a learning experience.

We learned nothing at all from the Spurs games.

We genuinely have sod all chance of anything much but humiliation each game in a Europa league group. Our fans can’t handle getting thumped continuously. Even by teams streets ahead of us. Losing to glamorous teams will just start grumbles and upset the apple art in my opinion - Hearts fans will be “expecting” to beat teams at home on 4 or 5 times our budget. 

The main aim about this season in Europe is to gain useful experience to learn from, provide a platform for players to thrive and just as importantly try and get some wins/points and increase our prize money.

As someone said it’s baby steps for us this season and that is more than good enough.

6 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

We’ll be playing loads of better teams in the conference also but also have a decent chance of getting a couple of wins - losing in Europe every game won’t really be much of a learning experience.

We learned nothing at all from the Spurs games.

We genuinely have sod all chance of anything much but humiliation each game in a Europa league group. Our fans can’t handle getting thumped continuously. Even by teams streets ahead of us. Losing to glamorous teams will just start grumbles and upset the apple art in my opinion - Hearts fans will be “expecting” to beat teams at home on 4 or 5 times our budget. 

The main aim about this season in Europe is to gain useful experience to learn from, provide a platform for players to thrive and just as importantly try and get some wins/points and increase our prize money.

As someone said it’s baby steps for us this season and that is more than good enough.

No I disagree with that players improve by coming up against better players and taking a hiding just happens some times but you lick your wounds dust your self off and go again

Guys like Pressley Webster Hartley and Cameron would tell you what coming up against European and international opponents did for their development and it should be under estimated 

Of course that is not to say that our players will not improve by playing conference games because they will and it is not some thing I would sniff at at all

If the fans can not take contesting at a higher level then they need to re evaluate what they want from supporting a team because the players will all want to compete at the highest level available to them

Tom Hardy’s Dug
5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

No I disagree with that players improve by coming up against better players and taking a hiding just happens some times but you lick your wounds dust your self off and go again

Guys like Pressley Webster Hartley and Cameron would tell you what coming up against European and international opponents did for their development and it should be under estimated 

Of course that is not to say that our players will not improve by playing conference games because they will and it is not some thing I would sniff at at all

If the fans can not take contesting at a higher level then they need to re evaluate what they want from supporting a team because the players will all want to compete at the highest level available to them

The players you quote were part of an international team surrounded by players generally much better than most of our squad and they didn’t suffer many hammerings.

I understand the point about playing at as high a level as you can just as you must understand the point that continuously losing games 3 or 4 nil as is distinctly possible in a strong group might destroy team confidence (which might roll over to league form).

If we do qualify for the Europa league though we will need to add 2 or 3 EPL quality players to have a chance of being competitive (but with the not much extra prize money on offer). 

14 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

The players you quote were part of an international team surrounded by players generally much better than most of our squad and they didn’t suffer many hammerings.

I understand the point about playing at as high a level as you can just as you must understand the point that continuously losing games 3 or 4 nil as is distinctly possible in a strong group might destroy team confidence (which might roll over to league form).

If we do qualify for the Europa league though we will need to add 2 or 3 EPL quality players to have a chance of being competitive (but with the not much extra prize money on offer). 

The players I mentioned had very little if any European or international experience before playing for us in the UEFA Cup and Cup Winners Cup except Cameron who had played Bayern Munich while at Raith and that would have brought him on immeasurably if you were to ask him

I do not think hammerings like Spurs have the detrimental affect on players that others do and it is worth noting that some of the players on the end of that battering went on to lift the Scottish Cup soon after beating Celtic along the way

I think the opposite actually because getting turned inside out by the likes of Van Der Vart on a Thursday night probably helps you sail through a game against some SPFL Premiership jobber the weekend after that

I do not really have a strong preference which competitions group stage we find our selfs in personally because there are positives for both …………. I am just going to enjoy the experience the players on the other hand would pick the strongest opponents and the highest level every time and if they did not then I would worry about their attitude to the game

The last time we were in the UEFA Cup group stages we did not get beasted in every game and in fact we actually pulled off one victory in particular that no body would have expected v Basel

The games going further back against Mallorca Leverkusen Braga and Bordeaux we came close to or actually achieved wins and that was with out super star players in our ranks  

I honestly can not wait for these games I think they will be some of our most memorable ever as supporters regardless of which competition we are in 

What's also worth bearing in mind is that we'll have played 2 league games before we play the qualifying round.  Last time we made Europe, we played the first tie at the end of June, we were still effectively in pre-season mode and nowhere near fully up to speed.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Can we just enjoy the fact we have 8 games guaranteed no matter what happens and the kudos and cash that comes along with it?

PapaShango
16 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Can we just enjoy the fact we have 8 games guaranteed no matter what happens and the kudos and cash that comes along with it?

Yeah I agree with this. It's something different for us to be involved in Europe for so long and we should enjoy it. However as has been mentioned when up against some of the bigger teams in Europe we haven't disgraced ourselves. We even managed a draw at Anfield with Sutton up front! I still remember the trips to Bordeaux and Rotterdam now, they were some great experiences following Hearts and this campaign will hopefully produce some more. Would love to see us play in Italy or Spain and sample that as a Hearts supporter.

FarmerTweedy
42 minutes ago, heatonjambo said:

Apologies for any stupidity but when will we no the draw

As soon as it's made!

44 minutes ago, heatonjambo said:

Apologies for any stupidity but when will we no the draw

1st of August 

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Some folks hoping we get beat in the Europa League Qualifier. Weird. 🥸

It is odd … a bit like wanting Hearts to play in the Championship (rather than Premier) because that’s where more games would be won!

I say, aim for the top and play at the highest level possible!

davemclaren
44 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

It is odd … a bit like wanting Hearts to play in the Championship (rather than Premier) because that’s where more games would be won!

I say, aim for the top and play at the highest level possible!

Absolutely. 

Bazzas right boot
14 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Some folks hoping we get beat in the Europa League Qualifier. Weird. 🥸

I think they're trying to be "edgy". 

Heartsmad1874
On 06/06/2022 at 18:34, FarmerTweedy said:

As soon as it's made!

Draw is of course made on 2nd August but theres every chance it will be Hearts v a 50/50 tie from Round 3 which is a disaster if the away leg is on the 18th unless the first leg result is convincing but even then i'd still be nervous about booking after Tromso all those years ago🤣

Edited by Heartsmad1874

Tom Hardy’s Dug
On 07/06/2022 at 08:05, Bazzas right boot said:

I think they're trying to be "edgy". 

I’m just looking at our progress and what gives us the best platform to make the most money to invest in the team next summer as well.

Like it or not that is the Conference. And it’s nothing like saying you’d prefer the Championship.

£420k a win in the Conference or £460k a win in Europa.

The more games we win the stronger we get next season. The chances of us winning games increases quite a bit in the Conference. 

It’s also hardly some tin pot competition either.

Arguably the semis for the Conference this season had better teams than the Europa.

Of course I will want us to win our play off. That doesn’t negate the fact that we are likely to do financially better in the Conference.

1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I’m just looking at our progress and what gives us the best platform to make the most money to invest in the team next summer as well.

Like it or not that is the Conference. And it’s nothing like saying you’d prefer the Championship.

£420k a win in the Conference or £460k a win in Europa.

The more games we win the stronger we get next season. The chances of us winning games increases quite a bit in the Conference. 

It’s also hardly some tin pot competition either.

Arguably the semis for the Conference this season had better teams than the Europa.

Of course I will want us to win our play off. That doesn’t negate the fact that we are likely to do financially better in the Conference.

We could finish 3rd inEuropa League group and still get the benefit of the Conference League group stage

Win / Win

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Europa league/conference 22/23 - Zurich v Hearts