Europa league/conference 22/23 - Zurich v Hearts

mickycameron98

Draw Tuesday to give us 2 potential opponents. First Leg then on Thursday next week to maybe give the brave ones a chance to book early...

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Heartsmad1874

• JimmyCant

• hughesie27

Ricardo Quaresma
Just now, lsimp77 said:

So will the home leg be first as we’re the priority 1 team or is it still random as is with any cup draw? 

That's a really good question, pot 1 should logically be first

I think this question may have been answered earlier

1 minute ago, lsimp77 said:

So will the home leg be first leg as we’re the priority 1 team or is it still random as is with any cup draw? 

Random. But we will know on Tuesday.

11 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Ah, the banter. 

Ferenc’s head coach by Cherchesov, former manager of Russia at the 2018 World Cup and a great mate of Putin

Chuck Berry
Just now, Elljay said:

Ferenc’s head coach by Cherchesov, former manager of Russia at the 2018 World Cup and a great mate of Putin

If we draw them, hopefully he gets sanctioned and can't enter the UK........

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Elljay said:

Will he get access to the UK? 😄

6 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Draw Tuesday to give us 2 potential opponents. First Leg then on Thursday next week to maybe give the brave ones a chance to book early...

Train strikes on 18 and 20 Aug might limit travel to/from other uk airports😡

35 minutes ago, Elljay said:

But the K in AEK Larnaca doesn’t 🤔

That K stands for Kition, a former city in Cyprus, apparently.

36 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I reckon Zurich are the only team who are overwhelming favourites to get through. If we draw them I might be tempted to book straight away!

46 minutes ago, tazhearts said:

I reckon Zurich are the only team who are overwhelming favourites to get through. If we draw them I might be tempted to book straight away!

If I was going to the first euro away leg I'd be doing this, absolutely.

1 hour ago, Chuck Berry said:

Been to 1FC Slovacko for a Scotland U21 game, they play in Uherske Hradiste, a 3 hour train ride from Prague. Nice little town (not too many pubs), decent ground.

Shkupi will likely play at the national stadium in Skopje (the place is a decent night out), been a couple of times, same with Slovan Bratislava (new stadium).  Been to a few of the others but not necessarily the stadiums they play in,

Ground used for the u21 championships.italy played portugal.not a great place to visit again.in larnaca in 2017 and the stadium we went to see is literally across the other side of the car park from aek larnaca.met Valdas ivanauskas as he was manager of the away team.wouldn't mind a trip to maribor. 

1 hour ago, tazhearts said:

Be careful to check if any other teams in Zurich or nearby are at all likely to be playing European football the same week. If that’s possible there may be a switch of fixtures.

4 hours ago, tazhearts said:

Would love Zurich, will definitely go if we draw them. Here's hoping.

10 hours ago, lsimp77 said:

So will the home leg be the first leg as we’re the priority 1 team or is it still random as is with any cup draw? 

If its the same as other draws, a priority 1 ball will be drawn and placed in to an empty bowl, and then a priority 4 ball added. Mixed up and then drawn, first out plays at home first. Repeat a further 6 times with the remaining priority 1, 3 & 4 sides.

Thats not been confirmed by UEFA yet so just my assumption based on previous, so take with a pinch of salt 😀

Edited by Waterboy

20 minutes ago, Waterboy said:

If its the same as other draws, a priority 1 ball will be drawn and placed in to an empty bowl, and then a priority 4 ball added. Mixed up and then drawn, first out plays at home first. Repeat a further 6 times with the remaining priority 1, 3 & 4 sides.

Thats not been confirmed by UEFA yet so just my assumption based on previous, so take with a pinch of salt 😀

UEFA site confirms the order of the draw but doesn’t mention how home and away will be determined. So it would seem that will be worked into the draw somehow rather than pre-determined

11 hours ago, Homme said:

There's about 7 from that list I'd fancy our chances against. 

5 or 6 of them likely heading out though 🤣

Thought the same. There's probably 5 or 6, based on rank etc, we should beat but 3 or 4 will go out.

Still,, over two legs anything can happen...

6 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

UEFA site confirms the order of the draw but doesn’t mention how home and away will be determined. So it would seem that will be worked into the draw somehow rather than pre-determined

First team out is home first is what i saw on the draw pages.  

26 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

UEFA have this on their site for other rounds/competitions, what my assumption is based on.

Screenshot_20220728-094018_Chrome.jpg

August Landmesser
15 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

£10 a pint though

carryouts and spliffs in Christianhaven

58 minutes ago, ModJambo said:

I've been to Belgrade which is let's just say, interesting...

I was in Belgrade for the Scotland game a few years ago, think it was Strachans first game, stayed there and got the bus to the game in Novi Sad, we had a great time and found the locals surprisingly friendly. 

For progression we've got the best chance if we draw the winner of Shamrock/Shkupi. We'd be favourites there.

Fenerbahce & Olympiacos both very big sides with mental supports, they're the 'glamour' ties.

Maribor & Malmo not as strong as they have been recently but still two hard games with their European experience compared to us. HJK, Partizan & Zurich are also tough opposition.

The rest I'd fancy us against but they're likely to get put out this round.

Glad we have that Conference League safety net in any case because it's likely going to be a hard one.

11 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

For progression we've got the best chance if we draw the winner of Shamrock/Shkupi. We'd be favourites there.

Fenerbahce & Olympiacos both very big sides with mental supports, they're the 'glamour' ties.

Maribor & Malmo not as strong as they have been recently but still two hard games with their European experience compared to us. HJK, Partizan & Zurich are also tough opposition.

The rest I'd fancy us against but they're likely to get put out this round.

Glad we have that Conference League safety net in any case because it's likely going to be a hard one.

I reckon the 7 winners will be

Fenerbache

Partizan Belgrade 

Olympiacos

Zurich

Shkupi

Maribor

Malmo

Bottom 4 we have a very good chance over 2 legs. Top 3 look a big ask but do-able

Even better chances if one or two of the bigger favourites go out here

Edited by JimmyCant

Mr Elwood P
15 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I reckon the 7 winners will be

Fenerbache

Partizan Belgrade 

Olympiacos

Zurich

Shkupi

Maribor

Malmo

Bottom 4 we have a very good chance over 2 legs. Top 3 look a big ask but do-able

Even better chances if one or two of the bigger favourites go out here

That's just based entirely on recognising the name though isn't it? I think Zurich will be a very tough game. Olympiakos and Fenerbache don't look anything like the teams of old.

2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

That's just based entirely on recognising the name though isn't it? I think Zurich will be a very tough game. Olympiakos and Fenerbache don't look anything like the teams of old.

No it’s based on looking at both teams, doing a wee bit looking around and having an opinion as to who will win, given their standing, their experience, the league they play in, their current position, their recent relevant results.  (worth remembering they all (bar 2)just got beat over 2 legs, some of them unexpectedly)

Being clear, there are very few going to be left that we’d be favourites to beat but we’ve got at least a 50-50, draw depending.

Mr Elwood P
Just now, JimmyCant said:

No it’s based on looking at both teams, doing a wee bit looking around and having an opinion as to who will win, given their standing, their experience, the league they play in, their current position, their recent relevant results.  (worth remembering they all (bar 2)just got beat over 2 legs, some of them unexpectedly)

Being clear, there are very few going to be left that we’d be favourites to beat but we’ve got at least a 50-50, draw depending.

Olympiakos lost 0-4 at home.

Malmo lost 0-2 at home.

Surely both clubs in a bad place to lose so convincingly on their own patch?

53 minutes ago, allyjambo said:

I was in Belgrade for the Scotland game a few years ago, think it was Strachans first game, stayed there and got the bus to the game in Novi Sad, we had a great time and found the locals surprisingly friendly. 

It’s the same in every Eastern European country. I’m bored of people on here claiming all these places are dangerous. I’ve never felt in danger anywhere in Eastern Europe. You’re much more likely to get attacked in Edinburgh than Belgrade etc. locals are all ridiculously accommodating too. 

7 minutes ago, Dayman said:

It’s the same in every Eastern European country. I’m bored of people on here claiming all these places are dangerous. I’ve never felt in danger anywhere in Eastern Europe. You’re much more likely to get attacked in Edinburgh than Belgrade etc. locals are all ridiculously accommodating too. 

Completely different story when you are part of a football crowd. 

12 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Olympiakos lost 0-4 at home.

Malmo lost 0-2 at home.

Surely both clubs in a bad place to lose so convincingly on their own patch?

Malmö when you go back a bit have dropped in the last few seasons so I’d maybe fancy us against them.

Okympiakos ? That looks like a freak result to me. They’re not great but you need to take into account that we’re novices at this level and going there would be a trial of nerve

Edited by JimmyCant

Just now, Dayman said:

yeah have gone east quite a lot on my Scotland travels, Georgia, Moldova, Serbia, Ukraine, Macedonia, Albania and Russia amongst others, enjoy those ones so much more than the Ireland, Wales, Spain and Norway types trips. Never felt in danger. 

1 hour ago, allyjambo said:

Locals are brand new.

It's a good night out but the city is intimidating in terms of the way it looks.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

If the goal is to make the KO stages of the conference league, is it the easier path through the EL group stages or the ECL group stages? Would be interested to hear people's thoughts.

3 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

If the goal is to make the KO stages of the conference league, is it the easier path through the EL group stages or the ECL group stages? Would be interested to hear people's thoughts.

Presumably knock out in the ECL via Europa would require is to finish 2nd in Europa group?

I'd be surprised if we earned a point in a Europa Group.

August Landmesser
Just now, hughesie27 said:

Presumably knock out in the ECL via Europa would require is to finish 2nd in Europa group?

I think third in UEL group gets ko in ECL, 2nd in UEL group gets next ko round of UEL, 1st in UEL skips to next again ko round ( I think), fourth in UEL gets a Bendy Bully and yer BFH.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

3rd in the Europa goes into the knockout playoff for the ECL against 2nd place group finishers in ECL. Basically what I'm asking is is it harder to finish 3rd in EL group or 2nd in ECL? I personally think the former is more realistic as I don't think the difference in quality between EL and ECL is that big, but interested to hear if anyone has any insight on this.

Mr Elwood P
9 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Malmö when you go back a bit have dropped in the last few seasons so I’d maybe fancy us against them.

Okympiakos ? That looks like a freak result to me. They’re not great but you need to take into account that we’re novices at this level and going there would be a trial of nerve

I'd be interested to know what's happened at Malmo. They've gone from Europa League finalists Rangers home and away to qualify for the Champions League group to pumped out early in one season. Surely they had a massive windfall from last season ?

I think Hearts against Olympiakos or Fenerbache could be a lot closer than expected. Look at St Johnstone v Galatasaray or Aberdeen v Burnley. 

2 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

3rd in the Europa goes into the knockout playoff for the ECL against 2nd place group finishers in ECL. Basically what I'm asking is is it harder to finish 3rd in EL group or 2nd in ECL? I personally think the former is more realistic as I don't think the difference in quality between EL and ECL is that big, but interested to hear if anyone has any insight on this.

I'd agree with you. ECL looks to be made up of a lot of teams I've never even heard of.

2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I'd be interested to know what's happened at Malmo. They've gone from Europa League finalists Rangers home and away to qualify for the Champions League group to pumped out early in one season. Surely they had a massive windfall from last season ?

I think Hearts against Olympiakos or Fenerbache could be a lot closer than expected. Look at St Johnstone v Galatasaray or Aberdeen v Burnley. 

I don’t think either of them travel that well so if you get them, you’d probably want them at home first and really go at them and try and build a lead. Our atmosphere will be a surprise to a lot of teams so we need to match that with our intensity on the pitch if we’re playing teams like that.

12 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

I reckon (purely personal opinion) that it’s easier to finish 3rd in an EL group than it would be to finish 2nd in a UCL group. 4-5 points might be enough in the EL, you might need double that to be 2nd in the UCL. All about the luck of the draw and how prepared and committed you are of course 

Edited by JimmyCant

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

I reckon (purely personal opinion) that it’s easier to finish 3rd in an EL group than it would be to finish 2nd in a UCL group. 4-5 points might be enough in the EL, you might need double that to be 2nd in the UCL. All about the luck of the draw and how prepared and committed you are of course 

Aye that's my thinking. You only need to be drawn with one diddy in the EL whereas you would need to be drawn with 2 in the ECL.

The ECL will have some good teams in it. Hearts would still be doing very well (at this stage) to finish third in a group IMO.

2 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Aye that's my thinking. You only need to be drawn with one diddy in the EL whereas you would need to be drawn with 2 in the ECL.

We will be the Diddy team.

Last years Europa League Groups

Group A: Lyon, Rangers, Sparta Prague and Brondby

Group B: Monaco, PSV, Real Sociedad and Sturm Graz

Group C: Napoli, Leicester, Spartak Moscow and Legia Warsaw

Group D: Olympiakos, Eintracht Frankfurt, Fenerbahce and Antwerp

Group E: Lazio, Lokomotiv Moscow, Marseille and Galatasaray

Group F: Braga, Red Star Belgrade, Ludogorets and Midjtylland

Group G: Leverkusen, Celtic, Real Betis and Ferencvaros

Like I said, struggle to get a point.

2 minutes ago, Homme said:

The ECL will have some good teams in it. Hearts would still be doing very well (at this stage) to finish third in a group IMO.

Finishing 3rd in the ECL means you're out. The question is whether 2nd in the ECL or 3rd in the EL is a more achievable route to the ECL knockouts.

Both almost certainly beyond us, but maybe fluking 4 points against the 3rd seed in the Europa League group is the slightly less unlikely route.

1 minute ago, DC_92 said:

Finishing 3rd in the ECL means you're out. The question is whether 2nd in the ECL or 3rd in the EL is a more achievable route to the ECL knockouts.

Both almost certainly beyond us, but maybe fluking 4 points against the 3rd seed in the Europa League group is the slightly less unlikely route.

Be difficult either way. We are the rookies, but we have a packed Tynecastle which can be a leveller!

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
7 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

We will be the Diddy team.

100% but if we get another diddy team it's a 50/50 in the diddy-off.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Europa league/conference 22/23 - Zurich v Hearts