Europa league/conference 22/23 - Zurich v Hearts

mickycameron98

It'll be interesting to see how our squad is enhanced to cope with European football.

While it's undoubtedly a huge positive, the switch to Thursday / Sunday games will take a much bigger toll on the players. We've seen how injuries has impacted our team over the last few seasons and to be competitive you'd think there will have to be strong additions in each area of the team. Imagine for example if we lost Craig Gordon for a few months - I'd be worried if we don't get a talented backup. 

Edited by JayTeeJnr

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Heartsmad1874

• JimmyCant

• hughesie27

Watt-Zeefuik
15 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

I’m sure the only way the SPFL Prem Champions do NOT qualify for the CL group stages is if Villarreal win the Champions League - reason:- a CL Group place is reserved for the CL winners IF they have not already qualified through their league place.

There is a CL Group place already reserved for the Russian Champions so that does not affect the Scottish Champions who will qualify regardless (subject to Villarreal situation)

What I've heard from multiple sources, including multiple Scottish journos talking this out, is that that the Scottish league winner could lose the automatic UCL groups place if BOTH of the following happen:

- Villareal win the CL

- Russian clubs are not excluded from the competition, as is widely expected

I think there may even be another fringe condition that has to be met as well.

So there is still, theoretically, a chance that Celtic could win the league and NOT get an automatic GS spot while Rangers win the UEL and DO get an automatic GS spot, but it's highly unlikely.

6 hours ago, Thought Police said:

Was listening to Laurie, Mark and Gowser yesterday, and it does seem like more money can be made in ECL than the EL. Obviously, more likely to get a couple of bigger names in the EL, but I'm not going to be devastated if we drop down.

2 hours ago, Thought Police said:

My understand was that you get £3.2m before a ball is kicked in EL, and £2.7m for ECL. But we'd get £250k for dropping down to ECL - so only a difference of £250k.

We could then end up in a EL where we struggle to get a point, whereas we may pick up cash if we can get results in ECL.

I got lost trying to run up the figures but yes, there's probably a greater chance we pick up prize money (although it entirely depends on our group draw in either) in the UECL but less TV money.

I think on the whole, even just based on the cash, we should definitely try to win our qualifier, but be thrilled that we have such a golden parachute awaiting us even if we lose.

In either case, I'm holding on to hope we could qualify for the UECL knockout rounds, either with a group third in the UEL groups or a first or second in the UECL groups.

Watt-Zeefuik

Just looking at groups, from this year, yes, we'd obviously have a better chance of swimming in a the UECL, but UEL Group F had Red Star, Braga, Midtjylland, and Ludogorets while UECL Group G had Rennes, Vitesse, Spurs (who finished third), and Mura in it. I'd fancy our chances for third in the former more than second in the latter!

2 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Right, I see what you mean now. It wasn't clear, as you talked about how Scotland would get a place if Villarreal don't win the CL then said the Russian situation had no bearing. I (reasonably) took that to mean you were saying the Russian situation had no bearing on whether Scotland would get a place or not, where I now get that what you were trying to say was that if indeed Scotland gets a place thanks to Villarreal not winning the Champions League, the Russian situation won't matter (which is correct)!  It seems a slightly odd point to have wanted to make though, because you could make the point the other way round, I.e. if Russia are kicked out and everyone else gets shifted up the rankings, we get a group place even if Villarreal do win the Champions League! 

Not an odd point to make at all. 
I was right in my point.

We’ll leave it there.

👍

FarmerTweedy
2 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

What I've heard from multiple sources, including multiple Scottish journos talking this out, is that that the Scottish league winner could lose the automatic UCL groups place if BOTH of the following happen:

- Villareal win the CL

- Russian clubs are not excluded from the competition, as is widely expected

I think there may even be another fringe condition that has to be met as well.

So there is still, theoretically, a chance that Celtic could win the league and NOT get an automatic GS spot while Rangers win the UEL and DO get an automatic GS spot, but it's highly unlikely.

Most of that is correct, although strictly speaking Scotland can't lose the automatic UCL group place, as we don't currently have one to lose! It's actually the case that Scotland can gain a group place if things go Scotland's, or rather celtic's 🤮, way!

The other 'fringe' condition that has to be met to scupper celtic's hopes of gaining an automatic group stage place is that the Europa League is won this season by a team that doesn't qualify for the UCL group stage through their domestic league.   There's actually a strong possibility this one could go against celtic as Leipzig are the only team in the semis that are in a UCL group stage qualifying spot at the moment, they're far from guaranteed to hold onto it, and none of the others look much like they'll manage to get into one!

Watt-Zeefuik
2 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Most of that is correct, although strictly speaking Scotland can't lose the automatic UCL group place, as we don't currently have one to lose! It's actually the case that Scotland can gain a group place if things go Scotland's, or rather celtic's 🤮, way!

The other 'fringe' condition that has to be met to scupper celtic's hopes of gaining an automatic group stage place is that the Europa League is won this season by a team that doesn't qualify for the UCL group stage through their domestic league.   There's actually a strong possibility this one could go against celtic as Leipzig are the only team in the semis that are in a UCL group stage qualifying spot at the moment, they're far from guaranteed to hold onto it, and none of the others look much like they'll manage to get into one!

Potayto potahto. We haven't won the SC final yet, nor have we lost it. The UCL place has yet to be won by someone. The Scottish champion could still lose out on that place . . . .

Anyway, yes, that was it, and I think the topic came up on the "could Rangers possibly . . ." which would of course mean that a Rangers UEL title was part of the unlikely circumstances that meant that Celtic won the league but didn't get the automatic group stage place while Rangers came in second and went to the big dance. Which I admit if I were a Rangers fan would be pretty hilarious.

I'm rather sanguine on the whole thing. Yes, it would be hilarious if Rangers could lose three competitions in a week. I'd prefer neither made the UCL group stages but if they do, hey ho it is good for Scottish football after all.

The main thing I don't want is one of them falling out of the qualifiers and landing as our opponent in the UEL qualifier. The whole appeal of Europe is we get some fresh faces to play against.

kingantti1874

We’d have a far better chance of picking up points and progressing from the conference league.  We’d also have a lot more fun and if we pick up better results earn more money

would prefer conference league

Tom Hardy’s Dug
5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

We’d have a far better chance of picking up points and progressing from the conference league.  We’d also have a lot more fun and if we pick up better results earn more money

would prefer conference league

I think I agree - even if I am not on top of the finances.

Throw in an EPL team and two other beatable  teams from nice countries for away fans - would be sound.

Central Belt 1874

This might not be a popular opinion among fans, but, I'm not sure we really need to be stretching ourselves to try and compete in the Europa conference this coming season. I would argue that finishing third again next season is of higher importance to the clubs growth than splashing all the extra income to try and go on a euro run past the group stages. 

For continued sustainable growth, we need to try and finish 3rd multiple seasons in a row. It generates money, attracts players and increases the clubs exposure internationally.

For me, European money is the key to stretching the gap on Aberdeen and Hibs, and closing the gap on the Celtic and Rangers over time. 

A Euro run would be tremendous, but I think the clubs focus should still be on making sure we get third again next season

kingantti1874
31 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I think I agree - even if I am not on top of the finances.

Throw in an EPL team and two other beatable  teams from nice countries for away fans - would be sound.

yep.  There would be some great trips, and we’d stand a decent chance of doing well.. more fun and definitely more money for the club.  

it’s a no brainer, hopefully a glamour qualy and a narrow glorious unfortunate exit before we go on to dominate the conference league 😂

jambostuart
25 minutes ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

This might not be a popular opinion among fans, but, I'm not sure we really need to be stretching ourselves to try and compete in the Europa conference this coming season. I would argue that finishing third again next season is of higher importance to the clubs growth than splashing all the extra income to try and go on a euro run past the group stages. 

For continued sustainable growth, we need to try and finish 3rd multiple seasons in a row. It generates money, attracts players and increases the clubs exposure internationally.

For me, European money is the key to stretching the gap on Aberdeen and Hibs, and closing the gap on the Celtic and Rangers over time. 

A Euro run would be tremendous, but I think the clubs focus should still be on making sure we get third again next season

I agree to an extent. It's just another cup and the league should always be the bread and butter. I'm sure if we had Hibs on the Sunday and say Spurs on the Thursday, with a couple of key players carrying a knock we'd assess that but the players didn't work the arse off this season just to rake in the cash and not compete with the best. 

1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

The main thing I don't want is one of them falling out of the qualifiers and landing as our opponent in the UEL qualifier. The whole appeal of Europe is we get some fresh faces to play against.

Never thought of this, yeah that would be just s**t getting them in a euro game 🤦‍♂️

FarmerTweedy
2 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Potayto potahto. We haven't won the SC final yet, nor have we lost it. The UCL place has yet to be won by someone. The Scottish champion could still lose out on that place . . . .

Anyway, yes, that was it, and I think the topic came up on the "could Rangers possibly . . ." which would of course mean that a Rangers UEL title was part of the unlikely circumstances that meant that Celtic won the league but didn't get the automatic group stage place while Rangers came in second and went to the big dance. Which I admit if I were a Rangers fan would be pretty hilarious.

I'm rather sanguine on the whole thing. Yes, it would be hilarious if Rangers could lose three competitions in a week. I'd prefer neither made the UCL group stages but if they do, hey ho it is good for Scottish football after all.

It's potatoe, isn't it? ;)

31 minutes ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

This is exactly the strategy we should be pursuing. Achieving third place in the league again next year is far more important than a couple of wins in the Conference League. I couldn’t give a toss if we lost all our games in Europe, so long as we kept our eye on the ball when it came to the Premiership.

FarmerTweedy
37 minutes ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

If you mean stretching ourselves financially, I.e. overspending or committing to contract that will last 3 or 4 years but we need the European group stage money each of those years to cover it, I fully agree. I think we need to budget on the basis that we'll only get this once, so we'll need to spread the £4m or so over about 3 years, then if we get in again the following season, we can push the budget a bit further, and so on.

If you mean we shouldn't take the games that seriously, resting players for the league, etc, then I don’t agree at all!  I don't think you do mean that though!

We absolutely should be trying our hardest to win these games and do as well as we can, but that goes on all fronts! It's about striving to be the best we can, but in a financially sustainable way.

4 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

I agree.

If as looks likely Celtic win the league then it's highly unlikely they will not go into the CL group stages, it would need Villareal to win the ECL and Russian clubs to be reinstated for them not do so.

Assuming Rangers don't win the Europa League and also go into the CL group stages, they'll play in the ECL qualifying rounds, most likely QR2. The only way we could get Rangers in our UEL qualifier is if they lose ECL qualifying round 2, drop into UEL qualifying round 3 and win.  Our opponent in the final UEL qualifying round will be a team that came through the 3rd qualifying round.

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

If you mean stretching ourselves financially, I.e. overspending or committing to contract that will last 3 or 4 years but we need the European group stage money each of those years to cover it, I fully agree. I think we need to budget on the basis that we'll only get this once, so we'll need to spread the £4m or so over about 3 years, then if we get in again the following season, we can push the budget a bit further, and so on.

If you mean we shouldn't take the games that seriously, resting players for the league, etc, then I don’t agree at all!  I don't think you do mean that though!

We absolutely should be trying our hardest to win these games and do as well as we can, but that goes on all fronts! It's about striving to be the best we can, but in a financially sustainable way.

I'd say we want to make 1-2 signings in this window where any transfer fee and the full cost of the contract are covered by the European money we're getting. That's insurance against us falling flat—we still get the players for a few years, and our budget isn't burst by it. Yes, there's always a chance at another Oshaniwa/Damour situation where we end up with an albatross player, but I'm far less worried about that happening with Savage and his team.

If we're back in guaranteed group stages again next summer, we can make another such couple of signings, which leaves us still not spending money we haven't made, and also really builds the quality of the squad.

Three years of that on top of the outstanding core we already have in place and it's time to get a bit starry eyed about the possibilities . . .

Heartsmad1874

Ukrainian premier league called. Dynamo Kyiv confirmed as 2nd place and will be in Champions League 2nd round, League path. 

If they play in Europe next season, they could be one of our potential opponents if they lose that 2nd round qualifier. Likely to be seeded so would be playing a team from Cyprus or something so unlikely. 

Think if we did play them the away leg would certainly still be at a neutral venue.

Edited by Heartsmad1874

9 hours ago, RobNox said:

I agree.

If as looks likely Celtic win the league then it's highly unlikely they will not go into the CL group stages, it would need Villareal to win the ECL and Russian clubs to be reinstated for them not do so.

Assuming Rangers don't win the Europa League and also go into the CL group stages, they'll play in the ECL qualifying rounds, most likely QR2. The only way we could get Rangers in our UEL qualifier is if they lose ECL qualifying round 2, drop into UEL qualifying round 3 and win.  Our opponent in the final UEL qualifying round will be a team that came through the 3rd qualifying round.

We can't draw a team from our own association until the QF stage of any Euro tournament.

Heartsmad1874
2 minutes ago, Boab said:

We can't draw a team from our own association until the QF stage of any Euro tournament.

Bizarrely, there is no country protection at the play off stage so those posters are correct we could indeed play Rangers if they end up in the play off round.

Rogue Daddy
50 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Bizarrely, there is no country protection at the play off stage so those posters are correct we could indeed play Rangers if they end up in the play off round.

Imagine the seethe if we put them out! 🤣

12 hours ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

We need to try to finish in the top ONE, not 3rd!

Not disagreeing with you as we should remember relative success in the league got us into guaranteed Euro football in the first place. However, we should be optimistic as there will be opportunities for progress depending on how the leagues shape up.

Not sure we will be strong enough to finish in the top two of a Europa league but if we can finish 3rd, do we not parachute into the knock out rounds of the Europa Conference al la Leicester this season? A few of the leagues had teams from the stronger nations who seem to use it for fringe players to get a game. Playing on a Thursday night for them seemed to be an inconvenience.

Assuming we lose the qualifier and drop into the Europa Conference, again we could have a group with at least one possibly two teams who'd rather not be there; Spurs finished 3rd did they not?

All ifs, buts and maybes, however if we can win a game or two, not disgrace ourselves, it will help attract players, more revenue etc as you suggest.

I am just glad we have a refreshing new postive mindset as others have commented upon. Savage talks about being in a position to win the league at Hearts, Neilson speaks about seeking to win every game at Hearts, we fans need to rid ousrselves of the self limiting belief that 3rd in the league will do each season; it won't. As a club and fanbase, we need to strive for continued improvement.

I can see a very bright future for us, very bright! The right people are in place behind the scenes, the infrastructure is coming along and the mentality is night and day from last season. In seasons gone by, would we have gone to Tannadice, play a team one place below us in the league without the 'starting' back four, the two midfield linchpins and the Weeknd on the bench...and won?

Nope.

Roll on next season and enjoying the Euro jaunts, regardless of who we get and how we do.

Montgomery Brewster
1 minute ago, John Rambo said:

Not disagreeing with you as we should remember relative success in the league got us into guaranteed Euro football in the first place. However, we should be optimistic as there will be opportunities for progress depending on how the leagues shape up.

Not sure we will be strong enough to finish in the top two of a Europa league but if we can finish 3rd, do we not parachute into the knock out rounds of the Europa Conference al la Leicester this season? A few of the leagues had teams from the stronger nations who seem to use it for fringe players to get a game. Playing on a Thursday night for them seemed to be an inconvenience.

Assuming we lose the qualifier and drop into the Europa Conference, again we could have a group with at least one possibly two teams who'd rather not be there; Spurs finished 3rd did they not?

All ifs, buts and maybes, however if we can win a game or two, not disgrace ourselves, it will help attract players, more revenue etc as you suggest.

I am just glad we have a refreshing new postive mindset as others have commented upon. Savage talks about being in a position to win the league at Hearts, Neilson speaks about seeking to win every game at Hearts, we fans need to rid ousrselves of the self limiting belief that 3rd in the league will do each season; it won't. As a club and fanbase, we need to strive for continued improvement.

I can see a very bright future for us, very bright! The right people are in place behind the scenes, the infrastructure is coming along and the mentality is night and day from last season. In seasons gone by, would we have gone to Tannadice, play a team one place below us in the league without the 'starting' back four, the two midfield linchpins and the Weeknd on the bench...and won?

Nope.

Roll on next season and enjoying the Euro jaunts, regardless of who we get and how we do.

This in bold. Good post 

13 hours ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

Yes but to do that we still need to strengthen in order to cope with the additional 8 games meaning we have 4 eleven day periods where we play 4 games, it's not about competing in Europe to get past the groups (which regardless of Europa or Conference could be unimaginably difficult anyway) it's about trying to pick up whatever points we can while remaining competitive in the league.

1 hour ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Apologies to the poster, I wasn't aware of that.

It is bizarre right enough !

13 hours ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

I agree to an extent however theres also an argument to be made that the boost from a good European run could help push the club on domestically

Central Belt 1874
3 hours ago, John Rambo said:

Nope.

I fully agree were are on the right path currently, and I am one of the few Hearts fans I think that genuinely believe that Hearts can compete with Celtic and Rangers with the right decisions made at the right times. That's what my post was about, continued 'sustainable' improvement. 

Strengthening the team this summer allowing us to both compete in the Europa/Conference AND maintaining at least third. As that guarantees European football again. But ultimately, the results in Europe womt matter, so long as we are competing again at the top end of the table come May. 

I am very excited about our prospects in the coming years.

Central Belt 1874
3 hours ago, Ribble said:

Yes but to do that we still need to strengthen in order to cope with the additional 8 games meaning we have 4 eleven day periods where we play 4 games, it's not about competing in Europe to get past the groups (which regardless of Europa or Conference could be unimaginably difficult anyway) it's about trying to pick up whatever points we can while remaining competitive in the league.

Absolutely, but stretching ourselves going into the winter period could result in dropped points we would usually pick up in the league, potentially affecting league placings. 

We will just need to look forward to the summer recruitment to see who comes in and then we can reevaluate our prospects at the end of August!

Heartsmad1874

This basically guarantees Celtic a group stage place regardless of what Villareal do. 

Doesn't effect Scottish teams apart from that as far as i can see. 

On the debate about over stretching our selves is it not the case that any money we make but do not spend we get taxed on because of that is correct then I hope we spend every penny on improving the squad and giving ourselves a better chance of finishing higher up the league

Heartsmad1874

With those changes. Sturm Graz and Rangers have been pushed up to UCL QR3 so are now no longer potential opponents for us

Dynamo Kyiv*
2nd 🇹🇷
2nd 🇨🇾
2nd 🇩🇰

Plus we could also face one of the 5 Winners of Europa League QR3, Champions Path. This stage consists of the 10 losers of UCL QR2.

* Yet to be confirmed if Ukranian teams will play any part next season. One team might likely receive a bye as theres noone from QR1 to push up into the League Path section. 

John Findlay

This basically guarantees Celtic a group stage place regardless of what Villareal do. 

Celtic straight into the group stages of the champions league. Sevco participate in the third qualifying round instead of starting at the second qualifying round. Russian bids for Euros 2028 and 2032 ineligible.

lost in space

Yes, on that report by BBC -BUT subsequent BBC report is that 3 Scottish teams have group stage places - including us!!

Fxxx the SPFL
44 minutes ago, lost in space said:

Yes, on that report by BBC -BUT subsequent BBC report is that 3 Scottish teams have group stage places - including us!!

Where’s that foreign lad that updates everything he seems to be on the ball 

Bert Kassie 

Edited by Fxxx the SPFL

Jambo-Fox
2 hours ago, lost in space said:

This is correct!

1st CL Group stage

2nd* minimum conference group stage

3rd minimum conference group stage

*assumes Sevco don’t win Europa league!

Jambo-Fox

PS I’d love it if Hearts were in Europa groups and Sevco were in Conference groups!!

♥️😂♥️😂♥️😂♥️😂

GarryJ-o-s
11 hours ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

With those changes. Sturm Graz and Rangers have been pushed up to UCL QR3 so are now no longer potential opponents for us

Dynamo Kyiv*
2nd 🇹🇷
2nd 🇨🇾
2nd 🇩🇰

Plus we could also face one of the 5 Winners of Europa League QR3, Champions Path. This stage consists of the 10 losers of UCL QR2.

* Yet to be confirmed if Ukranian teams will play any part next season. One team might likely receive a bye as theres noone from QR1 to push up into the League Path section. 

10 losers of UCL QR2 easily our best chance there. Where Rangers got Alashkert from last year, I’m sure, and there should be a lot of champions from very poor nations in there.

BBC says we are guaranteed group stage football as a result of more prohibitions against Russian teams.

Does this put us in a better position than before these recent prohibitions? 

Jambo-Fox
14 minutes ago, JJ93 said:

BBC says we are guaranteed group stage football as a result of more prohibitions against Russian teams.

Does this put us in a better position than before these recent prohibitions? 

No it makes no difference!

The Hogfather

Pleasantly surprised to see that we’re actually seeded for the draw. No idea how that will impact our chances since the clubs in the other pots haven’t been determined yet. But still nice to see. 

The Old Tolbooth
11 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

PS I’d love it if Hearts were in Europa groups and Sevco were in Conference groups!!

♥️😂♥️😂♥️😂♥️😂

I don't think that can happen mate, Rangers, if they lose their Champs League qualifier will now drop into the EL group stages proper, whereas we could also be in that if we win our play off, but more than likely we'll be in the Conference League proper. 

FarmerTweedy
16 hours ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

It also means sevco only have two rounds of Champions League qualifying to get through, and if they lose either, they go straight into the Europa League group stage. 

Brilliant thread detailing it all.

Hearts - UEL Play off, Will be in PG1 (Priority group 1) and will play a side from PG3 or PG4 (teams coming from the UEL 3rd qualifier). 4th seed in the groups unless a miracle happens

12 minutes ago, briever said:

Brilliant thread detailing it all.

Hearts - UEL Play off, Will be in PG1 (Priority group 1) and will play a side from PG3 or PG4 (teams coming from the UEL 3rd qualifier). 4th seed in the groups unless a miracle happens

Brilliant work by whoever is running that account.  According to them, Hearts could face:

- Cyprus Cup Winners

- Serbia Cup Winners

- APOEL (assumed based on their current league position)

- Fenerbahce

- Ferencvaros

- Maribor (assumed based on their current league position)

- Bratislava

- Dudelange (assumed based on their current league position)

- HJK

- TNS

- Zalgiris

- Lincoln Red Imps

- Zurich

- Maccabi Haifa

This also assumes that in the qualifying rounds prior, the higher seeded team always wins the tie - so there could be some 'lesser' teams replacing those on the list above.

Some ties we could definitely win, some we would almost certainly lose.  Exciting times!

15 minutes ago, Waterboy said:

Brilliant work by whoever is running that account.  According to them, Hearts could face:

- Cyprus Cup Winners

- Serbia Cup Winners

- APOEL (assumed based on their current league position)

- Fenerbahce

- Ferencvaros

- Maribor (assumed based on their current league position)

- Bratislava

- Dudelange (assumed based on their current league position)

- HJK

- TNS

- Zalgiris

- Lincoln Red Imps

- Zurich

- Maccabi Haifa

This also assumes that in the qualifying rounds prior, the higher seeded team always wins the tie - so there could be some 'lesser' teams replacing those on the list above.

Some ties we could definitely win, some we would almost certainly lose.  Exciting times!

Who would we almost certainly lose to?

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, briever said:

Who would we almost certainly lose to?

Lincoln Red Imps waiters from Gibralter :whistling:

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Europa league/conference 22/23 - Zurich v Hearts