Europa league/conference 22/23 - Zurich v Hearts

mickycameron98

27 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

An Evening News article worth reading. 😲 

Who'd have thought it?

The editor must have okayed that through gritted teeth.

Hibs, and everyone and everything that sails within, must be feckin seasick.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Heartsmad1874

• JimmyCant

• hughesie27

Mr Elwood P
6 minutes ago, feedtheroman2 said:

Would there be any European games in June? Or is August the earliest?

August to November our fixtures are, perhaps even after Xmas ...

21 hours ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

For Europa League Play off round, going on last years draw, we'd be Priority One so we'll either face one of the  3 winners from the Europa League QR3 League Path or one of the 5 winners from Europa League QR3 Champions Path.

This was the seeding for it last year so with any luck we can draw a winnable tie and advance to Europa group stages but its fantastic to have that fall back of the Conference group stages.

0C87A5EB-7B90-43AE-AEC1-C9819BAB4B27.jpeg

Makes for exciting reading.

I saw earlier, i think on Twitter, that the coefficient 'doesn't matter' because of this layout for the Europa League playoff. That is the case, however if we were to lose this playoff, it would matter for the Europa Conference Group stage. Based on last years teams as a guide we'd be right on the edge of being in Pot 3 or Pot 4. 

mickycameron98

Was wondering why the group games don't go upto Christmas as they usually do then remembered the world cup is on of course.

John Findlay

Lot of planning for the footballing department of the Heart of Midlothian to do from now until the start of next season.

I do believe though, that Joe Savage and et al will have been planning for months. I have a hunch we maybe pleasantly surprised by at least two of the signings we make for the new season.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
30 minutes ago, mickycameron98 said:

Was wondering why the group games don't go upto Christmas as they usually do then remembered the world cup is on of course.

You answered your own question…

CloustonHMFC

Living in Austria I’m hoping for a nice wee away trip to an Austrian or German side in the play off or group stages. 

Heartsmad1874
14 minutes ago, CloustonHMFC said:

Living in Austria I’m hoping for a nice wee away trip to an Austrian or German side in the play off or group stages. 

Right now it looks like Sturm Graz will finish 2nd and qualify for Champions League so if they were to lose in Champions League QR2 League Path and win their Europa League QR3 match they'd be a possible opponent.  

1 hour ago, martoon said:

An Evening News article worth reading. 😲 

Who'd have thought it?

The editor must have okayed that through gritted teeth.

Hibs, and everyone and everything that sails within, must be feckin seasick.

It'd be worth reading if it wasn't full of inaccuracies

Rocky jamboa
1 hour ago, AGoodLaugh said:

These are the teams that were in the knockout "playoff" round *after* the group stage. Not the qualifying playoff that we will be going into. 

Ah so it was. 

Just found these play off games from last year. Some decent teams in there 

Screenshot_20220419-161408_Chrome.jpg

McGlynn The Money
On 17/04/2022 at 19:23, Jambos_1874 said:

I would love a trip to San Sabastian with the JTs!! Failing that, a trip to North London would be good.

On 17/04/2022 at 19:30, Diadora Van Basten said:

Would love to go to Florence as Fiorentina are my Italian side.

Agreed. San Sebastián (or Doností as the locals call it) is absolutely beautiful.

Florence twinned with Edinburgh so Fiorentina would also be fantastic.

2 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

I can never get a clear answer on this but I think the TV money puts the UECL a good bit higher because of the pool payments, although even that gets weird depending on what Scottish teams are in the competition with us.

I done a bit of digging to try and get at least some idea of what the Market Pool might be worth.  In 2018/19 Rangers got 1.1m euros (around £900k) and did not progress from the group stages.  However, Celtic also participated in the group stages, so Rangers money would only be a half share, so the Market Pool share for Scotland must have been around £1.8m.

Looking at the total value of the Market Pools for this season, the EL is around 6 times as much as the conference, so getting EL group stage would certainly net us considerably more.  Even sharing the EL market pool with another Scottish club would still give us around 3 times as much as if we kept the Conference market pool to ourselves.

8 hours ago, mickycameron98 said:

I wonder if Tynecastle has already, or will be deemed fit to host all our home games regarding the usual pitch regulations.

Tynecastle is fine, it has been hosting Scotland Under 21 Euro qualifiers and meets the criteria 

mickycameron98

Outside the old firm this century only us 2004 and Aberdeen I believe 2008/9 have made group stage European football. Does this tie in with Celtic making the final 2003 and Rangers 2008.

More reason to support our Scottish teams in Europe I would say.

Heartsmad1874

In last years Europa play off round there was no country protection for some reason? If same applies this year we could potentially face Rangers if they drop out of UCL QR2 and win their UEL 3rd round qualifier.

VideoEditingJambo

Whilst we have a chance of qualifying for the Europa League we shouldn't focus on the Conference League. 

Having european football back at Tynecastle is great. 

FarmerTweedy
On 19/04/2022 at 13:44, ZanderMIM said:

The Netherlands has 4 spots for the conference league this year, current possible teams are AZ Alkmaar, Utrecht, Vitesse Arnhem & FC Twente. Then the possibility of meeting Feyenoord in the Europa league play off.

I'm pretty sure no country has more than three, and the Netherlands only has two (and they're all qualifying round spots), although more can drop in through losing in the bigger competitions!

1 hour ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

In last years Europa play off round there was no country protection for some reason? If same applies this year we could potentially face Rangers if they drop out of UCL QR2 and win their UEL 3rd round qualifier.

but surely they are in UCL group stages when they win the UEL this year  cos they are ra peepul 

3 hours ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Do they go into UCL QR2, I thought it was QR3, but if you are right, we could potentially face them.  

We no playing league cup group games. :yadayada:.  

:cheese: 

:fth:

Heartsmad1874
5 hours ago, RobNox said:

Do they go into UCL QR2, I thought it was QR3, but if you are right, we could potentially face them.  

At the moment they go into QR2, might change depending on the Russia situation though. 

Will be in europe the whole of August so I hope we get someone decent away in the europa league play off round, so I can go to my first euro away trip hehe 😊 would love to get an Italian team.

Just noticed Hearts were the first team to qualify for next season's Europa League play-off round.

PSV and Gent qualified with their Cup wins the following Sunday and Monday.

Italian Lambretta
1 hour ago, Super_Hans said:

Just noticed Hearts were the first team to qualify for next season's Europa League play-off round.

In the interest of fair play UEFA should allow the first team to qualify to go straight into group stages. 😀

The Conference is a great competition!

I’ve been to 6 games this year with tickets for 2 more and hopefully a third one as well!

Great teams, great places, great camaraderie!

01BA5F25-28C5-4F0F-83DA-EE1910288C2C.jpeg

Edited by Jambo-Fox

InternationalJambo
9 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

The Conference is a great competition!

I’ve been to 6 games this year with tickets for 2 more and hopefully a third one as well!

Great teams, great places, great camaraderie!

01BA5F25-28C5-4F0F-83DA-EE1910288C2C.jpeg

No doubt the atmosphere at Tynecastle will be up there, regardless of the competition name. 

16 hours ago, Super_Hans said:

Great spot Hans.

Personally I am happy to see how things pan out knowing full well there are thousands of Jambos already planning European adventures next season with at least 4 away trips to choose from while our rivals are ****ing themselves about getting sucked in to a relegation battle with no manger and a "For Sale" sign announced by their dubious owner.

FTH.

16 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Will be in europe the whole of August so I hope we get someone decent away in the europa league play off round, so I can go to my first euro away trip hehe 😊 would love to get an Italian team.

We won't get an Italian team. We'll get a team who comes through the 3rd qualifying round.  This season that would have been teams from Slovakia, Slovenia, Armenia, Cyprus, Finland, Austria, Turkey and Scotland.

On 17/04/2022 at 20:44, NANOJAMBO said:

Manchester to Bologna then high speed train to Firenze

Cheap as chips.

Did it last month for the rugby. 

Make it happen. 

Edinburgh to Milan then the train would be the way I’d probably do it 

52 minutes ago, RobNox said:

We won't get an Italian team. We'll get a team who comes through the 3rd qualifying round.  This season that would have been teams from Slovakia, Slovenia, Armenia, Cyprus, Finland, Austria, Turkey and Scotland.

It’s a very complex draw system for the EL play offs. Looking at how it works were most likely to get a CL drop out, a champion from one of the lower rated nations. Doesn’t mean they won’t be good of course. Someone posted this a couple of weeks ago. Can’t remember who, but there was a link and he was right enough

But you are right in one thing. They won’t be Italian. However it’s not impossible obviously to get an Italian team in either of the groups

Edited by JimmyCant

Watt-Zeefuik
46 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

It’s a very complex draw system for the EL play offs. Looking at how it works were most likely to get a CL drop out, a champion from one of the lower rated nations. Doesn’t mean they won’t be good of course. Someone posted this a couple of weeks ago. Can’t remember who, but there was a link and he was right enough

But you are right in one thing. They won’t be Italian. However it’s not impossible obviously to get an Italian team in either of the groups

Some how it just feels like Omonia and Lenny are in the cards.

8 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Some how it just feels like Omonia and Lenny are in the cards.

Unlikely. They would need to win their cup to qualify for Europe and they’re not going to 😎

Watt-Zeefuik
3 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

24E9DFBF-21CB-40A6-92BA-444014FFF957.jpeg

Forgive my ignorance, but what stadium is that? Lovely steep rake, looks like a great place for a match.

EDIT: Ah, nevermind, just worked backwards and realized it was PSV. Still looks lovely.

Edited by Led Tasso

5 hours ago, RobNox said:

Oh didn't realise that, in that case would like an Austrian team 👍 suppose we could have a better chance to qualify with those options.

18 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Forgive my ignorance, but what stadium is that? Lovely steep rake, looks like a great place for a match.

EDIT: Ah, nevermind, just worked backwards and realized it was PSV. Still looks lovely.

Looks are deceptive - it’s one of the most dangerous stadiums I’ve been in in recent times. Very steep stands, no hand rails, no barriers, lots of

folks fell down over several rows of seats, with many badly hurt. [like old Tannadice with no crush barriers]

From the outside looks great - inside not! Interesting they’ve ‘filled the corners’!

Heartsmad1874
21 hours ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Another weekend of football thought I would bring this back to top.

Any updates welcome.

Still unclear on who we could play unfortunately but with not long left of the season here is how UCL QR2, League Path is shaping up as it stands. UCL Champions Path is congested with so many potentials so i'll leave that out 😂 Could be any league winners from Serbia (16th) to San Marino (55)

Austria - Sturm Graz (5 games left,12 pts behind 1st, 8 pts clear of third)

Scotland - Rangers (4 games left, 3 pts behind 1st, although Celtic play today, can't finish lower than 2nd)

Ukraine - Dynamo Kyiv - (Still on hold since February, no further update on Ukranian Premier League) 12 games to go however.

Turkey - Fenerbahce - (4 games left, 4 pts clear of Konyaspor in 3rd who play today and 11 pts behind Trabzonspor.

Denmark - Midtjylland - (6 games to go, 6 points behind Copenhagen and 7 clear of Aalborg in 3rd).

Cyprus - APOEL - (2 games to go, 1 point behind Apollon Limassol and 4 clear of AEK Larnaca in 3rd).

The 6 will be drawn against each other and the three losers drop down to Europa League QR3 League Path, where they will face cup winners of either Denmark, Cyprus or Turkey. All three of which are at the Semi final stage.

Turkey

Alanyaspor v Sivasspor (1-2)

Kayserispor v Trabzonspor (0-1)

Denmark

Sondersjyke v OB

Vejle v FC Midtjylland

Cyprus

AEK Larnaca v Ethnikos Achna

Anorthorsis v Omonia

If Trabzonspor won the Turkish cup their Europa League place would go to Third place in the league, currently Konyaspor.

I presume the same would happen in Denmark if Midtyjlland were to win the cup. Aalborg currently third would take their place. None of the Cypriot semi finalists are in a better league position than Conference League qualifying which as we know is superseded by the Europa League.

The winners of these ties advance to the play off round and will likely be placed in Priority 4.

How the draw works, based on last year. 

Priority One, 6 teams

Gent

Hearts

PSV*

* PSV can still qualify for UCL and look likely to do so. Their place would go to 3rd in Eredivisie which is currently Feyenoord. 

Priority Two, 6 teams

6 losers from UCL QR3, Champions Path

Priority Three, 5 teams

5 winners from UEL, QR3, Champions Path which consists of the 10 losers from the UCL QR2 Champions Path.

Priority Four, 3 teams

3 winners from the UEL QR3, League Path

3 teams from Priority One drawn against 3 from Priority Four.

Remaining 3 teams in Priority One drawn against 3 teams from Priority Three

Remaining 2 teams in Priority Three drawn against 2 teams from Priority Two.

And finally the 4 remaining teams in Priority Two drawn against each other.

Edited by Heartsmad1874

TyphoonJambo

Aalborg The John Wayne bar. Now there IS a tremendous night out.

Edited by TypoonJambo

17 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Could we get an Irish or northern Irish team?

Only if one of them can navigate through 2-3-4 early rounds and drop downs

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Only if one of them can navigate through 2-3-4 early rounds and drop downs

Sounds like we are going to be the team that everyone else wants to draw. 

5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Sounds like we are going to be the team that everyone else wants to draw. 

Aye they might well want to draw us. It’s up to us to make them regret that wish. Not many will know about the atmosphere at Tynecastle Park on a European night. Some supposedly bigger teams might not fancy it. Could be a good thing being such an unknown quantity 

Edited by JimmyCant

davemclaren
Just now, JimmyCant said:

Aye they might well want to draw us. It’s up to us to make them regret that wish. Not many will know about the atmosphere at Tynecastle Park on a European night. Some supposedly bigger teams might not fancy it

Let’s hope we can rise to the occasion. 

Heartsmad1874
1 hour ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Could we get an Irish or northern Irish team?

Shamrock Rovers have already qualified and Linfield are top with a game to go. They'd need to win their first qualifier, lose the second qualifier and then win their third qualifier in the Europa League.

If they lose in QR1 they drop to Conference League QR2.

Smoked-Glass
1 hour ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Shamrock Rovers have already qualified and Linfield are top with a game to go. They'd need to win their first qualifier, lose the second qualifier and then win their third qualifier in the Europa League.

If they lose in QR1 they drop to Conference League QR2.

Cheers. Need some Guinness

Heartsmad1874

Heres a look at UCL Champions Path qualifiers, teams in bold have qualified the others lead the way with barely any games to go, some leagues tighter than others so teams may change but i think the 5 that would be in Europa play off is the ones around the middle, likes of Slovan Bratislava etc. 

2nd Round

Red Star - 5 games

Dinamo Zagreb - 5 games

Plzen - 5 games

Zurich - 5 games

1st Round

Olympiacos - 5 games

Maccabi Haifa - 5 games

Bodo Glimt

Malmo

Ludogorets Razgrad

CFR Cluj - 5 games

Qarabag - 4 games

Tobol

Ferencvaros - 5 games

Shakhtyor Soligorsk

Rakow - 4 games

Maribor - 4 games

Slovan Bratislava

Zalgiris

Dudelange - 5 games

Zrinjski Mostar

Shamrock Rovers

Shkupi

Pyunik - 6 games

RFS

Tirana - 7 games

Linfield - 1 game

Dinamo Batumi

HJK Helsinki

Sheriff - 3 games

Hibernians - 2 games

KI

FC Ballkani - 3 games

Lincoln Red Imps

Sutjeska Niksic - 6 games

The New Saints

Preliminary Round

Vikingur

FCI Levadia

Inter Escaldes - 5 games

Winner of play offs - San Marino

All this talk of potential Europa Conference opponents, are we writing-off the Europa League qualifying round?

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Europa league/conference 22/23 - Zurich v Hearts