Europa league/conference 22/23 - Zurich v Hearts

mickycameron98

mickycameron98

So now that we are officially gauranteed a group stage appearance in this, failing we don't come through our Europa Qualifier. I thought I'd have a wee look at the potential opponents we could face.

Here are the teams currently in position to finish in a conference league spot in the biggest leagues around Europe.

Arsenal (tied on points with Man utd)

Union Berlin

Real Sociedad

Strasbourg (tied on points with Monaco)

Fiorentina (tied on points with Lazio)

Braga

Some lovely away trips there! Not to mention the teams that could parashute down from the Europa. 

Exciting times!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Heartsmad1874

• JimmyCant

• hughesie27

Jambos_1874

I would love a trip to San Sabastian with the JTs!! Failing that, a trip to North London would be good.

Edited by Jambos_1874

1 minute ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Would love to go to Florence as Fiorentina are my Italian side.

Half and half scarf? :lol: 😛 

Diadora Van Basten
7 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Half and half scarf? :lol: 😛 

Maybe a half and half badge like I got in Liverpool.

18 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Firenze is lovely.

Getting there is a bit tricky. Pisa and  train will be the cheapest option if it comes to pass.

13 minutes ago, Rocky jamboa said:

18th and 25th August would be our Europa League qualifying tie dates.

So we've been singing about going to Europe in July all this time and we're not actually playing until August.

south morocco
29 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

That would be epic

50 minutes ago, Boab said:

Firenze is lovely.

Getting there is a bit tricky. Pisa and  train will be the cheapest option if it comes to pass.

Manchester to Bologna then high speed train to Firenze

Cheap as chips.

Did it last month for the rugby. 

Make it happen. 

14 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Manchester to Bologna then high speed train to Firenze

Cheap as chips.

Did it last month for the rugby. 

Make it happen. 

I hear you but thinking more from Edinburgh.

Probably get Macedonia or suchlike though !

😂

1 minute ago, Boab said:

I hear you but thinking more from Edinburgh.

Probably get Macedonia or suchlike though !

😂

Anything but bloody Bosnia , pulleeeeze (done it, twice). 😑

According to Bert Kassies site we would, as it stands, be starting with a co-efficient of 7.220 (Rangers results could increase that slightly again)

Qualification for European Cup Football 2022/2023 (kassiesa.net)

According to Football-coefficient.eu we woukd, as it stands, be starting with a co-efficient of 5.800

Football coefficient ranking - Club ranking Hearts | Football-coefficient.eu

Both are usually spot on so not sure here. But based on this years Europa Conference League teams it would be difference between being in Pot 3 or Pot 4 for the Group draw (if we didn't win the Europa League Playoff).

Seeding in the Europa Conference League 2021/2022 (kassiesa.net) (need to scroll to the bottom)

If Europa League PO draw is being arranged the same way as last year I think we would be put in Priority 1 group and so get a Priority 4 or 3. Which will be a strong team regardless. Again below is a link to what this looked like this season:

2021–22 UEFA Europa League qualifying phase and play-off round - Wikipedia

I seem to remember a couple of posters... maybe @Statto and @Optimus Prime (?) doing some great threads on what we needed to go our way for seedings etc.

Definitely a major pro of qualifying if they come back!!!

21 hours ago, Boab said:

Firenze is lovely.

My mate stays 30 mins from Pisa. Could be  a nice wee trip. 🇱🇻

Heartsmad1874

For Europa League Play off round, going on last years draw, we'd be Priority One so we'll either face one of the  3 winners from the Europa League QR3 League Path or one of the 5 winners from Europa League QR3 Champions Path.

This was the seeding for it last year so with any luck we can draw a winnable tie and advance to Europa group stages but its fantastic to have that fall back of the Conference group stages.

0C87A5EB-7B90-43AE-AEC1-C9819BAB4B27.jpeg

Thought Police
22 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

No League Cup group stage. 

We’ll need to arrange friendlies with ICT and Raith to keep the tradition alive.

mickycameron98

I wonder if Tynecastle has already, or will be deemed fit to host all our home games regarding the usual pitch regulations.

hmfc_liam06
8 minutes ago, mickycameron98 said:

I wonder if Tynecastle has already, or will be deemed fit to host all our home games regarding the usual pitch regulations.

I might be wrong but I think you can get round it by meeting various other criteria.

16 hours ago, chizinho21 said:

According to Bert Kassies site we would, as it stands, be starting with a co-efficient of 7.220 (Rangers results could increase that slightly again)

Qualification for European Cup Football 2022/2023 (kassiesa.net)

According to Football-coefficient.eu we woukd, as it stands, be starting with a co-efficient of 5.800

Football coefficient ranking - Club ranking Hearts | Football-coefficient.eu

Both are usually spot on so not sure here. But based on this years Europa Conference League teams it would be difference between being in Pot 3 or Pot 4 for the Group draw (if we didn't win the Europa League Playoff).

Seeding in the Europa Conference League 2021/2022 (kassiesa.net) (need to scroll to the bottom)

If Europa League PO draw is being arranged the same way as last year I think we would be put in Priority 1 group and so get a Priority 4 or 3. Which will be a strong team regardless. Again below is a link to what this looked like this season:

2021–22 UEFA Europa League qualifying phase and play-off round - Wikipedia

According to this table on Football-coefficient.eu we're going into the Europa Conference while Ross County are getting Europa League - so I'm going to choose to trust the Kassies site! 

https://www.football-coefficient.eu/#table-club-coefficients

Joking aside Kassies has a pretty full explanation of how the coefficient is calculated so I think that is the correct one. I'm hoping it is anyway. 

Nookie Bear
9 minutes ago, AGoodLaugh said:

According to this table on Football-coefficient.eu we're going into the Europa Conference while Ross County are getting Europa League - so I'm going to choose to trust the Kassies site! 

https://www.football-coefficient.eu/#table-club-coefficients

Joking aside Kassies has a pretty full explanation of how the coefficient is calculated so I think that is the correct one. I'm hoping it is anyway. 

I suspect the Ukrainian teams may struggle to take part next season and that will change things a bit. Hopefully they will be able to play though.

I'm hoping for a decent European trip next season abroad. I've done Spurs, Liverpool, Bosnia, Bordeaux and Feyenoord so would love to do a German side or a wee trip to Spain. 

Heartsmad1874
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Have the dates for the draws been confirmed yet?

1st August for Europa League play off round and Group Stage draw for both is 26th August.

Matchdays are 18/25th August - Europa League play off

And group stage matches

8 September

15 September

6 October

13 October

27 October

3 November

I'm on holiday in Salou on the day of the 2nd leg, if we get a Spanish club away on that date I'll be doing everything I can to go

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

1st August for Europa League play off round and Group Stage draw for both is 26th August.

Matchdays are 18/25th August - Europa League play off

And group stage matches

8 September

15 September

6 October

13 October

27 October

3 November

Cheers. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I’d say the Conference league semis are a stronger 4 than Europa league this year - IMO.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

The Netherlands has 4 spots for the conference league this year, current possible teams are AZ Alkmaar, Utrecht, Vitesse Arnhem & FC Twente. Then the possibility of meeting Feyenoord in the Europa league play off.

Watt-Zeefuik

I'm looking forward to the UECL group stages if that's where we end up but don't want to look beyond the qualifier just yet. It could easily be either a winnable game or a chance for another grand occasion like Liverpool or (much less happy memories) Spurs.

Even better that there's such a nice parachute following it even if we lose.

Really exciting times!

3 hours ago, PapaShango said:

I'm hoping for a decent European trip next season abroad. I've done Spurs, Liverpool, Bosnia, Bordeaux and Feyenoord so would love to do a German side or a wee trip to Spain. 

Kazakhstan it is!

2 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

I'm looking forward to the UECL group stages if that's where we end up but don't want to look beyond the qualifier just yet. It could easily be either a winnable game or a chance for another grand occasion like Liverpool or (much less happy memories) Spurs.

Really exciting times!

Its a Europa League play off by the way. Loser drops to the Conference groups

Fxxx the SPFL
On 17/04/2022 at 21:04, NANOJAMBO said:

Anything but bloody Bosnia , pulleeeeze (done it, twice). 😑

aye me and the wife done Zelzinicar trip seven days on a bus with two stopovers in Lubijana and two nights in Sarajevo great trip though

9 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Really exciting times!

Gate receipts for that and compo payment (if we lose the qualifier) are worth £400- 500K alone. 

Parachute payment is £250K. 

Fxxx the SPFL
4 hours ago, PapaShango said:

also Bologna and Braga

15 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Really exciting times!

Is there not a chance that we would actually earn more money playing in the Conference than the Europa proper. More likely to earn points/money and also get the 250k parachute payment.

Have to assume we will come close enough to sell out our games either way so ticket money won't factor in much. Does TV money come into it?

8 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Is there not a chance that we would actually earn more money playing in the Conference than the Europa proper. More likely to earn points/money and also get the 250k parachute payment.

Have to assume we will come close enough to sell out our games either way so ticket money won't factor in much. Does TV money come into it?

Some details on the money here 

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/who-hearts-can-draw-in-europe-the-neil-lennon-factor-how-many-games-and-how-much-money-is-on-offer-3658361

Watt-Zeefuik
12 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I can never get a clear answer on this but I think the TV money puts the UECL a good bit higher because of the pool payments, although even that gets weird depending on what Scottish teams are in the competition with us.

From what I can tell, the TV money from each competition gets collected by UEFA, then divvied up to countries based on media market size, then each club participating in the competition gets (evenly sized?) chunks of that cash. It's reasonable to assume that the TV money for the UEL will be a fair bit bigger than the UECL, so the per-club payouts will be bigger. (Frustratingly, Scottish clubs will get less than English or German clubs, of course.)

So, you can imagine a number of scenarios that are better or worse for Hearts. If both Rangers and Celtic end up in the UCL group stages, it could be a cash bonanza for us to win our playoff round and get all the UEL pool payment for ourselves. Or, Rangers could fall into the UEL and it'd be better for us to be in the UECL by ourselves. Or Motherwell and United could both qualify for the UECL and the pool money between the three of us could be a pittance.

Or I could have all this wrong?

EDIT: I'll add that to my understanding, the following is probably the best achievable cash bonanza for us. It requires a lot of top performances from us but it's within the realm of possibility:

- Win our playoff, Celtic and Rangers stay in UCL group stages

- Manage third in our UEL group, qualify for UECL knockout round

- Draw a big club in our knockout round, get beat but get paid

Edited by Led Tasso

On 17/04/2022 at 19:30, Diadora Van Basten said:

I am flying to Florence on Wednesday the 15th September (which appears to be a date of a group game) for a wedding. I'm not sure how pleased the wife would be with me missing her cousins wedding for the football but i'm sure she'd get over it 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
16 minutes ago, Masonic said:

rather focus on qualifying for the europa league and not the conference

There’s not a huge difference in basic prize money - for entry or wins - between the two.

In theory we would arguably make more money on the conference if we get a few points and/or get a good draw and can challenge for second.

12 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

I can never get a clear answer on this but I think the TV money puts the UECL a good bit higher because of the pool payments, although even that gets weird depending on what Scottish teams are in the competition with us.

From what I can tell, the TV money from each competition gets collected by UEFA, then divvied up to countries based on media market size, then each club participating in the competition gets (evenly sized?) chunks of that cash. It's reasonable to assume that the TV money for the UEL will be a fair bit bigger than the UECL, so the per-club payouts will be bigger. (Frustratingly, Scottish clubs will get less than English or German clubs, of course.)

So, you can imagine a number of scenarios that are better or worse for Hearts. If both Rangers and Celtic end up in the UCL group stages, it could be a cash bonanza for us to win our playoff round and get all the UEL pool payment for ourselves. Or, Rangers could fall into the UEL and it'd be better for us to be in the UECL by ourselves. Or Motherwell and United could both qualify for the UECL and the pool money between the three of us could be a pittance.

Or I could have all this wrong?

EDIT: I'll add that to my understanding, the following is probably the best achievable cash bonanza for us. It requires a lot of top performances from us but it's within the realm of possibility:

- Win our playoff, Celtic and Rangers stay in UCL group stages

- Manage third in our UEL group, qualify for UECL knockout round

- Draw a big club in our knockout round, get beat but get paid

13 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Cheers to both above. A lot of unknowns but already a lot of money guaranteed our way.

On 17/04/2022 at 20:34, Rocky jamboa said:

Some top class clubs were involved in the play off stage of the Europa League last year, then in group stages. 

Screenshot_20220417-202619_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220417-202614_Chrome.jpg

These are the teams that were in the knockout "playoff" round *after* the group stage. Not the qualifying playoff that we will be going into. 

1 minute ago, feedtheroman2 said:

Would there be any European games in June? Or is August the earliest?

Our first matches in Europe will be August 18 and 25th - this is the Europa League Play-Off.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Europa league/conference 22/23 - Zurich v Hearts